Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How should the cardinals handle their future QB situation?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should the cardinals do?
Draft Mettenberger in the third round
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Draft Garoppolo in the third round
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Draft another QB late In the 2014 draft
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Trade up for one of the top 3 QB's in the 2014 draft
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Draft a QB in 2015
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Let Ryan Lindley be our future starter
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

holeman1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: How should the cardinals handle their future QB situation? Reply with quote

Espn published a article explaining that Zach Mett should be a smart possibility for the cardinals in the 2014 draft, I know not a lot of people in the forum like Mett, so I was wondering, what do you think you guys think the cardinals should do in the future to solve their QB situation after Palmer is gone.

Last edited by holeman1 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
mtdowner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I initially was on board to take a QB at some point in this draft but it's too deep at other positions for me to want to take one. If one of the top 3 (Teddy Bortles Manziel) fall to 20 then I'm down to take one there. But otherwise I think we need to take advantage of all the talent at other positions.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bickley thru his sources is saying the Cards "really like" Manziel. If he's at #21 I think we should take him. It's really a perfect situation; solid team leadership and HC, he can sit for 1-2 years to learn the offense and won't have to do too much with an elite D carrying the load.

I do feel Palmer will limit his INT's having been more comfortable in the offense but he's still a statue that can't extend plays...

The Rebuild Has Begun...
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short term; One key; DON'T PANIC.

We panicked with Kolb. We have Stanton behind Palmer. I for one would be entirely OK with Stanton starting a season here, I don't think he represents a massive step down from Palmer and it does give us a little bit of wiggle room to find our guy.

If I had my way and we saw Teddy Bridgewater slip past 10 in the draft I would do all in my power to trade up and draft him, but past that I am not going to worry too much. I am not going to force a selection of a QB in the middle round, especially not a guy like Garoppolo or Mettenberger.

If we were to go after a later round guy this draft the one kid I would really want us to take is Keith Wenning, but I don't think we go that direction this year. I get the feeling Arians is OK with our situation at the #2 and #3 QB spots and Keim is too.

So that leaves us moving into 2015 to look for our future guy.

Big thing to remember; Franchise QB's don't grow on trees, they are rare things, you have to either lose into one, luck into one or force yourself into a position to find one. I think with our defensive talent we are going to be locked into the 2nd or 3rd option.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2015 issue, speak to me then
Tongue-Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you guys should pick any QB in the first three rounds because then one bad game from Palmer would get people talking. Palmer is a guy that's good enough to be a poor man's Warner. I'd say he could be your starter for the next three years, maybe four, which is enough time to build around him for a Championship run. A fourth or fifth round QB might be a good idea to develop into a future starter, but I don't think there's any QB in this draft that could become a franchise QB within the next two or three years.

So if I were running things in Arizona, I'd take a fourth or fifth round QB or none at all this year and see what position you're in next year.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait for 2015.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tough situation to be in IF you believe you need to add a future starter immediately. I agree with khodder in that I think Stanton brings quite a bit to the table. I disagree with trading up if Teddy falls past 10 as I think Tennessee would want a ransom for the pick, might even take Teddy themselves, and several other teams would probably be competing to trade up as well. With this deep of a draft in many positions, I think you really have to utilize as many picks as possible to fully take advantage of that. It would really help the team in the long run. So given the current roster, I'd wait until 2015 or even 2016 to go after one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most - let it play out as-is this year (unless something amazing happens like Teddy Bridgewater falling to #20). You never know in future years who becomes available in free agency or if any lower round flyer like Ryan Lindley makes a dramatic leap in performance.
JLW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with the position they are in now, if a QB is ever the top player on the board they need to take him. Having Carson as a starter in 2014 is fine, but if Bortles or Carr fall to 20 I think they need to take them. There's no guarantee a better QB will ever be available to us in the future. The "wait a year" strategy only applies if you aren't planning on winning any games and will have the luxury of picking your guy the next year.
holeman1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Carr will fall to us at 20, I would only take him if he fall to us at 52

Last edited by holeman1 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
apollo14000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One name that's lost a ton of traction since the middle of the season is Tajh Boyd. I think he'd make a great Day 3 pick as a developmental QB.

A bit short at 6'1" but built like a RB. Can evade pressure better than any QB we've had he for awhile. Team captain with great intangibles. One of the best deep balls in the class and I think he's a good fit in a vertical-based offense like ours.

There's a a lot of flaws too, like the offense he played in, decision making, and mechanical issues but he aced his pro day with an adjusted throwing motion.

Definitely wouldn't play him in 2014 but give him a year and I think he could surprise.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boyd would be cool in fourth or later

He is a leader, but needs work on footwork, back foots it too,much and passes sail when he is pressured and panics
JLW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like Boyd as a developmental prospect at all.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLW wrote:
I don't like Boyd as a developmental prospect at all.

Watch some ACC games, he is quick on the release and has a good command of offense and can read defences too, just panics a little too much

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: