Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

D'Qwell Jackson cut
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atown_falcon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: D'Qwell Jackson cut Reply with quote

Should we take a look at this guy...He put up over 140 tackles last year and we could use the veteran presence and depth. Maybe a 2-4year contract or something but nothing big money wise. Just wondering....thoughts.

Props to Arem20 4 da sig!
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Qwell Jackson cut Reply with quote

atown_falcon wrote:
Should we take a look at this guy...He put up over 140 tackles last year and we could use the veteran presence and depth. Maybe a 2-4year contract or something but nothing big money wise. Just wondering....thoughts.

Nope. We're fine at ILB w/ Worrilow and Dent is solid depth.. money can be spent elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, we need to keep developing Bartu and Worrilow and Dent is solid depth behind Worrilow so I don't see any point in it.

We need to upgrade FS, add depth/competition to Biermann's DE/OLB hybrid role, completely overhaul the interior of our D-line (or at the very least re-sign Peters and Babs), add a high-caliber DE, and add depth at CB all before we even dream of signing another Middle Linebacker (and that's just on defense)

2013 Foster a falcon
SS William Moore: 85 Tackles, 3 FFs, 3 INTs.
WR Harry Douglas: 85 rec, 1,067 yards, 2 TDs.
devils1854

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the second best rookie LB in the middle last year, and Dent is a solid backup/great special teams player.

That answers the question right there.

#JDI

Taysom Hill 2014 Heisman Campaign
tech2186

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not go after Jackson but bringing in some talent through the draft at any LB position if Mack isn't the pick would be nice.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
BeeperKing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Qwell Jackson cut Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
atown_falcon wrote:

Nope. We're fine at ILB w/ Worrilow and Dent is solid depth.. money can be spent elsewhere.

This.

Daboyle250 on the sig

Foster a Falcon '14: Julio Jones

FakingInjuries wrote:

Without those elite targets, [Matt Ryan] is in the same tier as Matt Cassell.
devils1854

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
Maybe not go after Jackson but bringing in some talent through the draft at any LB position if Mack isn't the pick would be nice.

I think we have plenty of young talent at the LB spot. Worrilow, Bartu, Dent, and Spoon are all still pretty young, and we could get younger with Mack. I want a vet to be brought in at the OLB spot no matter what. Would bring a vet presence to the unit, and we would have insurance for when Spoon goes out with another injury. James Anderson or Michael Boley would be nice.

#JDI

coors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually wouldn't mind it. Jackson has been a very consistent player throughout his entire career, all of which being for mainly awful teams. He's a thumper.. he's better at that type of game then in coverage. He's a vet, with leadership qualities.. I would like to see him hold down the middle for us.. I know we have 2 young guys who filled in for that role last year.. but I think they could learn a few things from Jackson. I'd take him at a good price.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:
I actually wouldn't mind it. Jackson has been a very consistent player throughout his entire career, all of which being for mainly awful teams. He's a thumper.. he's better at that type of game then in coverage. He's a vet, with leadership qualities.. I would like to see him hold down the middle for us.. I know we have 2 young guys who filled in for that role last year.. but I think they could learn a few things from Jackson. I'd take him at a good price.

That's just beyond dumb replacing a guy who had a great rookie year, and is on his way up with a vet, who is close to over the hill, just because he is a vet. Jackson can't give this team anything that Worrilow can't, and Worrilow is inexpensive.

What's next? Replacing Trufant and Alford with Corey Webster or Kelvin Hayden because they are vets?

#JDI

tech2186

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:

I think we have plenty of young talent at the LB spot. Worrilow, Bartu, Dent, and Spoon are all still pretty young, and we could get younger with Mack. I want a vet to be brought in at the OLB spot no matter what. Would bring a vet presence to the unit, and we would have insurance for when Spoon goes out with another injury. James Anderson or Michael Boley would be nice.

Yeah, I think a vet could be good as well.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
mjmiller

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need depth on the OLB spots but thats really bout it. too many holes to worry bout Bartu right now. give him another shot to see what he can do.
devils1854

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets go ahead and put this D'Qwell Jackson theory to rest.

We can start with tackles, since they have been brought up twice in the thread, even though they are a horrible stat to use because each individual team keeps track of them, and there are a lot of awful home and away splits for some defenders.

Quote:
D'Qwell Jackson had 141 total tackles in 16 starts last year. Thats 8.8 a game.

Paul Worrilow had 110 in 9 starts last year, or 12.2 a game. In a 16 game season, that adds up to 195.5 for the year.

Quote:
D'Qwell Jackson had 75 solo tackles in 16 games last year. 4.7 a game.

Worrilow had 67 in 9 starts last year. 7.4 a game, for a 16 game average of 119.1

Quote:
D'Qwell Jackson had 3 stuffs in 16 starts last year.

Worrilow had 4 in 9 starts.

Quote:
Jackson had 3.5 splash plays last year(sacks, forced fumbles, interceptions).

Worrilow had 2 in 9 starts.

Quote:
Jackson will be 31 in the 2014 season.

Worrilow will be 24.

What is Jackson going to teach Worrilow?

How to win?
-Jackson has never been to the playoffs in his 7 years in the league.

How to prepare, or work hard?
-Worrilow was a UDFA. He shouldnt have even made the team. Yet, he went from a camp body to starter, to one of the best rookie linebackers in months. Im pretty sure he knows how to work hard, and prepare for games.

This is just silly. There is no need for D'Qwell Jackson on this team. Ill use this phrase once again. Just because its shiny and new doesnt mean its better.

#JDI

coors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
coors wrote:

That's just beyond dumb replacing a guy who had a great rookie year, and is on his way up with a vet, who is close to over the hill, just because he is a vet. Jackson can't give this team anything that Worrilow can't, and Worrilow is inexpensive.

What's next? Replacing Trufant and Alford with Corey Webster or Kelvin Hayden because they are vets?

I simply think what it comes down to is that you're higher on Worrilow than I am. I will admit, that this last season I watched far less Falcons game then I had in the past roughly 10 years before that.. (where I watched literally every preseason game, every regular season game, and obviously if we had a playoff game) Because of some things going on in my real life, including moving from Atlanta up here to DC.. plus having to spend a chunk of time in Chicago dealing with family issues, I was not able to put my full attention to the Falcons like I always had in the past. I sadly was only about to see maybe 6 games live from start to finish.. and then having to catch highlights and write ups. I was able to see our first 4 games from this year, and then I think maybe 1 more later duing the year. So, during those first 4 games that I was able to see.. Worrilow wasn't playing. I just looked it up, he had 1 tackle in Week3 vs Miami, and other then that 1 tackle he didn't record another single tackle from Wk1-4. So for me, at that point Worrilow was never on my radar.. looks like he started getting playtime around Wk5, but it was Wk8 when he just blew up. So other then a highlight here or there, and the box scores, I was only able to know what he was doing that way.. and even though he ended up with a ton of tackles, I think leading the team?, I never got to actually really see the kid play and be able to check him out and see about where he's at in his development.. there have been times in the past where a young player racked up a ton of tackles, but pretty much never continued to progress in their development that you want and need from a young player. I'm not saying that I think that will be Worrilow.. but I am saying that I wouldn't mind having a veteran who has been in the league for 8 seasons now, has led the league in tackles multiple times (again, for the majority of his career he has played for an awful team.. and at best an "alright" team), and has been a team leader. I don't know exactly how to characterize this upcoming season for us.. for example going into last season it was all about "this is our year" or "this is Tony's last season, so its obviously SB or bust" and one of my all time favorites "were ALL in" and that one usually coincides with the FO making the "Win Now" moves that often yield a pretty good decent player back, but whatever that was given up to get the guy is almost always ridiculous.. sometimes current players, usually high draft picks now, later, and later then that. But yeah, the reason I got into that was because if our FO and Coaches consider this one of those seasons as an "all win" "do whatever it takes to win the SB this year, who cares if we screw us up for next year we will just deal with that then" -- and that kind of year in my opinion would be best with having Jackson manning the middle and leading the defense. If this is just a I guess you could say "normal" season then sticking with Worrilow is probably the better choice, giving him more time to develop and learn.

Okay so this might sound weird, but my doctor put me on some new medications today and this is my first night on them.. and it's making it difficult for me to concentrate on the minuscule tasks i'm trying to do.. like keep my damn train of thought and even typing.. so that's why my write-up up there ^ is kind of weird and all over the place. Embarassed Laughing so please, bear with me people. hopefully within the next few days im not as cloudy and forgetful. Pray

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree w/ Devils we need depth at the OLB spot, not ILB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
coors wrote:

I simply think what it comes down to is that you're higher on Worrilow than I am. I will admit, that this last season I watched far less Falcons game then I had in the past roughly 10 years before that.. (where I watched literally every preseason game, every regular season game, and obviously if we had a playoff game) Because of some things going on in my real life, including moving from Atlanta up here to DC.. plus having to spend a chunk of time in Chicago dealing with family issues, I was not able to put my full attention to the Falcons like I always had in the past. I sadly was only about to see maybe 6 games live from start to finish.. and then having to catch highlights and write ups. I was able to see our first 4 games from this year, and then I think maybe 1 more later duing the year. So, during those first 4 games that I was able to see.. Worrilow wasn't playing. I just looked it up, he had 1 tackle in Week3 vs Miami, and other then that 1 tackle he didn't record another single tackle from Wk1-4. So for me, at that point Worrilow was never on my radar.. looks like he started getting playtime around Wk5, but it was Wk8 when he just blew up. So other then a highlight here or there, and the box scores, I was only able to know what he was doing that way.. and even though he ended up with a ton of tackles, I think leading the team?, I never got to actually really see the kid play and be able to check him out and see about where he's at in his development.. there have been times in the past where a young player racked up a ton of tackles, but pretty much never continued to progress in their development that you want and need from a young player. I'm not saying that I think that will be Worrilow.. but I am saying that I wouldn't mind having a veteran who has been in the league for 8 seasons now, has led the league in tackles multiple times (again, for the majority of his career he has played for an awful team.. and at best an "alright" team), and has been a team leader. I don't know exactly how to characterize this upcoming season for us.. for example going into last season it was all about "this is our year" or "this is Tony's last season, so its obviously SB or bust" and one of my all time favorites "were ALL in" and that one usually coincides with the FO making the "Win Now" moves that often yield a pretty good decent player back, but whatever that was given up to get the guy is almost always ridiculous.. sometimes current players, usually high draft picks now, later, and later then that. But yeah, the reason I got into that was because if our FO and Coaches consider this one of those seasons as an "all win" "do whatever it takes to win the SB this year, who cares if we screw us up for next year we will just deal with that then" -- and that kind of year in my opinion would be best with having Jackson manning the middle and leading the defense. If this is just a I guess you could say "normal" season then sticking with Worrilow is probably the better choice, giving him more time to develop and learn.

Okay so this might sound weird, but my doctor put me on some new medications today and this is my first night on them.. and it's making it difficult for me to concentrate on the minuscule tasks i'm trying to do.. like keep my damn train of thought and even typing.. so that's why my write-up up there ^ is kind of weird and all over the place. Embarassed Laughing so please, bear with me people. hopefully within the next few days im not as cloudy and forgetful. Pray

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you think next year the FO is going to be all "Super Bowl or bust" again? I honestly don't see it happening. We're in a bit of a rebuild, nothing major, just a bit of a youth movement if you will. Not to say we won't be in contention again, but I don't think they're going to push the whole "all in" mentality... a major reason for that mentality these past couple seasons was because of Tony. Now that he's gone, I think we will begin a bit of a rebuild (it started last year w/ Trufant/Alford), this year we will shore up the trenches, in 2015 we will get a new RB/add more to the trenches... just a few thoughts. By 2015 season we should be back to full force

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: