Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quest for Six

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
del17

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Quest for Six Reply with quote

Offense

#30th in passing - Kap needs to be more accurate
#31st in receiving - Crabtree injured
#3 in rushing - Frank Gore!
#9 in FGs - Phil Dawson!
#11 in scoring
#13 in TDs

Defense
#5 in total yards
#7 in passing
#4 in rushing
#9 in receiving
#18 in sacks - Aldon Smith missed some games
#25 in tackles
#10 in INTs

We still made it to the NFC Championship with the passing and receiving. If everyone's is not content in Kap we'll just have to win with our defense! I'm not saying that Kap is not a good QB but he'll continue to improve. He obviously missed Crabtree when he was injured. We also had Delanie Walker year before that and Vance McDonald needs to improve his receiving skills!
Mediocre QBs have gone and won the SB before because of their solid defense. IMO our defense is much better than those teams that have won it all.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hell yeah, we can get that 6th Lombardi!

(1)Badly need the O-coaches to stay on top of Kaepernick's QB fundamentals. He needs to take that next step with progression reads and composure in the pocket. Needs to establish in his mind that sometimes, it is okay and even best to throw the ball away or check down to live for another play or possession... instead of chucking up a pick or scrambling around for a fumble. If he's as diligent as reports indicate, he will do what is necessary.

(2)Make sure that we replenish the WR and DB positions!

Accomplishing these two things will put us right back into the playoffs, and take this all the way!

___
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that we're 11th in scoring despite being 31st in plays from scrimmage. We've actually scored more points per play than the eagles, who are considered a high-powered offense. I haven't calculated every team, but I think we're top 5 in the league in points per play from scrimmage. Far behind the broncos, but everybody is.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
It should be noted that we're 11th in scoring despite being 31st in plays from scrimmage. We've actually scored more points per play than the eagles, who are considered a high-powered offense. I haven't calculated every team, but I think we're top 5 in the league in points per play from scrimmage. Far behind the broncos, but everybody is.

Bingo! And we scored on nearly half the possessions against at least Carolina/GB, but our RZ offense needs to improve. That's both on the coaching staff and Kaepernick.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="oldman9er"]Well, hell yeah, we can get that 6th Lombardi!

(1)Badly need the O-coaches to stay on top of Kaepernick's QB fundamentals. He needs to take that next step with progression reads and composure in the pocket. Needs to establish in his mind that sometimes, it is okay and even best to throw the ball away or check down to live for another play or possession... instead of chucking up a pick or scrambling around for a fumble. If he's as diligent as reports indicate, he will do what is necessary.

(2)Make sure that we replenish the WR and DB positions!

Agree with all of this. Would add one thing ... When Jim was first arriving I thought at the time our biggest problems were inability to protect our QB and inability to get to the other QB. We fixed those problems with Davis and Boone and Iupati and Staley's development, and with Aldon. But when Aldon isn't dominating we have a pretty poor pass rush. In fact, if Aldon is out or getting handled we mostly got sacks on blizes. Much as it looks like we're set with Aldon and Brooks and Lemonier, I still think we could use another pass rusher. As people often say, you simply can't have too many pass rushers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
I still think we could use another pass rusher. As people often say, you simply can't have too many pass rushers.

So what round we talkin? I doubt we select a rush LB in the late 1st... and picking at the bottom end of rd 2 means we miss out on the better rushers (duh)...

Here are a few options in the mid-rds, and I can even see us loving Lawrence enough to select him at the bottom of rd 2...

Quote:
11. DEMARCUS LAWRENCE -------------------- BOISE ST -------------- 6'3 -- 251 {3rd rd}
13. CARL BRADFORD* ------------------------- ARIZONA ST ----------- 6'1 -- 250 {3rd rd}
14. CHRIS SMITH ----------------------------- ARKANSAS ------------- 6'2 -- 266 {4th rd}
15. JACKSON JEFFCOAT ---------------------- TEXAS ------------------ 6'3 -- 247 {4th rd}
17. JAMES GAYLE ----------------------------- VIRGINIA TECH --------- 6'4 -- 259 {4th rd}

Overall though, it would be a real surprise to me if we add a rush LB in the first two rounds. I think the personnel is there already.. just need to have more confidence on the back end and alter the D-strategy a bit more aggressively.

___
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotating Lemonier more should keep legs fresh and improve and diversify our pass rush a bit. Hopefully he improves enough to become a regular factor on D next year.

SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:

I didn't know that. Interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
I still think we could use another pass rusher. As people often say, you simply can't have too many pass rushers.

So what round we talkin? I doubt we select a rush LB in the late 1st... and picking at the bottom end of rd 2 means we miss out on the better rushers (duh)...

Here are a few options in the mid-rds, and I can even see us loving Lawrence enough to select him at the bottom of rd 2...

Quote:
11. DEMARCUS LAWRENCE -------------------- BOISE ST -------------- 6'3 -- 251 {3rd rd}
13. CARL BRADFORD* ------------------------- ARIZONA ST ----------- 6'1 -- 250 {3rd rd}
14. CHRIS SMITH ----------------------------- ARKANSAS ------------- 6'2 -- 266 {4th rd}
15. JACKSON JEFFCOAT ---------------------- TEXAS ------------------ 6'3 -- 247 {4th rd}
17. JAMES GAYLE ----------------------------- VIRGINIA TECH --------- 6'4 -- 259 {4th rd}

Overall though, it would be a real surprise to me if we add a rush LB in the first two rounds. I think the personnel is there already.. just need to have more confidence on the back end and alter the D-strategy a bit more aggressively.

Hmmm...would Kyle Van Noy be available in the 2nd round? He's a pass-rusher I REALLY like.
Forge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Also keep in mind however, that we were second in average starting field position, and while I couldn't find the exact statistics, I'm willing to bet that our average drive length of scoring drives was at the shorter end of the spectrum given how many points we scored off of turnovers and our average starting field position. Neither of those things are guaranteed to be carried over year to year, so I think the offense could definitely get more efficient and powerful. We were only 22nd in yards per drive, 29th in plays per drive, 12th in time of possession per drive.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:

Hmmm...would Kyle Van Noy be available in the 2nd round? He's a pass-rusher I REALLY like.

I'm a fan of Van Noy, but I just don't like him as a 3-4 rush-backer. He's another type that bends well around the edge and has great burst around OTs, but I see him being incapable of working through or back inside of a decent OT. Once they get a hand on him, I don't think he has the power to do much... and I see him getting pancaked on runs, if he can't elude.

He should be a 4-3 backer, and can see a 4-3 Under scheme being interested in him as the SLB.

___
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

Quote:

I was thinking mid round, maybe even lower mid round. With all our higher picks, 4th would seem about right for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Also keep in mind however, that we were second in average starting field position, and while I couldn't find the exact statistics, I'm willing to bet that our average drive length of scoring drives was at the shorter end of the spectrum given how many points we scored off of turnovers and our average starting field position. Neither of those things are guaranteed to be carried over year to year, so I think the offense could definitely get more efficient and powerful. We were only 22nd in yards per drive, 29th in plays per drive, 12th in time of possession per drive.

Yeah. You really have to stop and wonder what some of these stats mean, particularly after watching us for the past year and a half. I know a lot of people here are thrilled with the big plays Kap makes. I'm less thrilled than most. I think those big plays have a couple of negatives to them. One is that they are not high percentage plays as relfected by Kap's completion percentage and our low third down conversion rate. And while it's hard to argue against scoring in one long play, it does mean that the other team's offense gets the ball right back and our defense is right back on the field. I'd really like to see us improve our short passing game so we can convert more third downs, maintain possession a little longer, keep the other team's offense on the sidelines and make sure our defense is well rested when they have to come back onto the field.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Yeah. You really have to stop and wonder what some of these stats mean, particularly after watching us for the past year and a half. I know a lot of people here are thrilled with the big plays Kap makes. I'm less thrilled than most. I think those big plays have a couple of negatives to them. One is that they are not high percentage plays as relfected by Kap's completion percentage and our low third down conversion rate. And while it's hard to argue against scoring in one long play, it does mean that the other team's offense gets the ball right back and our defense is right back on the field. I'd really like to see us improve our short passing game so we can convert more third downs, maintain possession a little longer, keep the other team's offense on the sidelines and make sure our defense is well rested when they have to come back onto the field.

Yeah, we'd be much better as an offense if Kap could make short gains on first and second downs every now and then. It doesn't fall on Kap all the time, because play selection has something to do with it. We tend to stick with the run even when it doesn't work, until we're forced to pass in the third quarter. And when we abandon the run, we never return to it. There's no reason why we couldn't just put the running game aside when it doesn't work, and return to it once the passing game has opened things up a little. Getting yards on the first two downs is the key to converting third downs consistently. Can someone possibly find the stats of how much yards we average on our first two downs? Or how far on average we have to go to convert our third downs, which is the same thing really. We've basically been better at scoring than at moving the ball. Both are ways to win football games, but one is just more taxing than the other. On the defense, mostly.

Overall, our O isn't as bad as the eye test tends to portray, but not as good as it should be. We know we have the explosive play in case we need it, but we need more of the consistent play. If Kap masters that, he'll be even more explosive and will deserve all the money he demands.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: