Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rampant's post-combine mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rampantjet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Rampant's post-combine mock Reply with quote

These aren't all going to be moves that I am a huge proponent of, especially in FA, but I had to pick some that I think are likely to happen. The Ware signing is an example of that, it just seems like to much of a move Rex will beg for. And if Ware can be ever close to what he was even a year ago for us that would be massive.

Cuts:
Cro- Cut and resign for cheaper
Tone- done here
Sanchez- done here
Goodson- possible inmate
Gates- terrible
Ijalana- not worth his unguaranteed money

Resignings:
Cro- Hopefully he was really really hurt last year and becomes himself again
Colon- We get one more year out of him. The line really started to mesh towards the end of the year.
Howard- Played very well for us this year, gets a 5 year deal
Pace- we get at least one more year out of him after his nice year. He becomes a bit more of a rotational guy for us this year though
Douzable- Love this guy, doesn't get a ton of opportunities because he is behind some studs, but he does something every time he is out there.
Walls- Kid had some nice moments. There were times last year that he looked like our best CB.
Lankster- Solid depth

FA:
Emmanuel Sanders WR- Fast, quick, knows how to get open, and can help Geno with some YAC. Can help our return game as well.
Josh McCown QB- We have been linked to him, and I think it would be a great signing.
Jermichael Finley TE- This seems like an Itzik gamble. Super talented kid coming off an injury that will scare people away. Worst case we structure his contract so we can get out clean. Best case we get a very good TE target for Geno.
DeMarcus Ware OLB- You know Rex, he won't be able to contain himself once Ware gets cut. He will be on the phone with Rob in no time and will pee himself in anticipation. He moves into the starting spot Pace becomes a rotational guy. This signing has risks for sure, but I feel like he was banged up last year, playing a brand new position, and was surrounded by a historically bad D. The bounce back potential is high.

Jets trade 6th round pick for LeMichael James RB- I know we have Ivory, Powell and I have us drafting a RB, and a FB, but I don't think we can pass on a deal this good. He fills a different role than any of those other guys I mentioned and is better than anyone we are likely to draft in the 6th round.

Draft:

Trade:
Jets trade 18th pick to Atlanta for #37, and #68. Atlanta trades up to take Jace Amaro to replace Gonzo. We know ATL is all about wheelin and dealin.

Pick #37 (2): Jordan Matthews WR- Had a nice showing at the combine but I still don't see him getting into the first round. We get a guy here who tore up the SEC, had a nice 40, jumped pretty well, has ideal size, and had the biggest hands of any of the WR's our there. He is a film junky that wants to be great. Oh and he is related to Jerry Rice..... that's good enough for me.
Pick #49 (2): Devante Adams WR- Some people might frown on signing Sanders, and then doubling up on WR, but I really think you have to play each draft to their strengths. This draft is super deep at WR and we need more WR help than anyone else in the league, we would be insane to not take full advantage. Adams put up monster numbers and reminds me of a poor mans DT. Ran a decent time for a thicker guy, and jumped out of the place. He is good at going up and getting the ball. And can make a lot out of bubble screens.
Pick #68 (3): Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB- We retained Cro, but he won't be around for ever, and we need to be prepared if his poor play last year wasn't due to injuries. Jean-Baptiste is long and athletic and has tons of potential. He will have time to learn on the bench.
Pick #69 (3): CJ Fiedorowicz TE- Big fan of this kid. He is already a dominant blocker, and I think he has tons of potential as a receiver. If Finley can stay healthy these two make a formidable pair. His numbers at the combine were actually fairly close to those of Amaro. I think this kid is a steal in the 3rd
Pick #80 (3): Dion Bailey S- Kid played all over the field. He came in as a SS and played very well. He was then moved to OLB and while undersized played very well. This last year he played FS and ended up with his best season yet. He will challenge for the starting FS spot, and can fill in anywhere. He just seems like a Rex guy.
Pick #111 (4): Jerick McKinnon RB- This is the one guy I can honestly say I am taking due to the combine. He ran, jumped, and cut his way up the board. He has played RB, returned kicks, played option QB, and even played some DB. He is a freak athlete and I think if we gave him some time to learn one position he would be a monster.
Comp pick (4): Aaron Murray QB- Could be a great back up, and could challenge for the starting job if Geno falters. Holds SEC records... that tends to impress me.
Pick #141 (5): Dontae Johnson FS- Didn't play for a particularly good team (NC state) but still managed to have a decent year, and showed his athleticism at the combine in a big way. Has an NFL body 6'2 200lbs and the speed and hops to go along with it. We have apparently interviewed him so we at least know he exists as a team.
Comp pick (5): John Halipo OG- Big bodied, tough guy. Worth a pick here to challenge Winters for the starting spot.
Pick #211 (7): Trey Millard RB/FB- This kid runs hard, blocks hard and has good hands. We get him this late due to an ACL tear. Oklahoma's coaches said that it was a team changing loss this year. They clearly think highly of him. Bohanon was a terrible blocker last year and doesn't bring a ton as far as rushing or receiving, worth a 7th rounder to challenge him.
Comp pick (7): Kirby Van Der Kamp P- Quigley is meh
Comp pick (7): Cornelius Lucas OT- Huge 6'8 330, and moves well. Needs technique work but he will have the time to do that.

I double dipped at WR and signed one in FA but I think everyone knows the rational for that. As far as double dipping at Safety I did that because it is definitely a position of need, and also the only safety FA's that I am at all interested in (Byrd, Ward) I have a feeling will probably not make it to the open market. Itzik saw a secondary built from the ground up through the draft in Seattle so I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to hit some mid round gold.
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this draft a lot.

Only issue is I'd like to upgrade OG or at least draft an OG in the 3rd to replace colon if he goes down.

but that's nitpicking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superbowlbound wrote:
I like this draft a lot.

Only issue is I'd like to upgrade OG or at least draft an OG in the 3rd to replace colon if he goes down.

but that's nitpicking

I had us signing Asamoah from KC, but i was to lazy to do the money part, and i didn't wanna be accused of overspending.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it but like I've said before I'm not a fan of people mocking DWare. He's still signed with the Cowboys it's just assumed he "could" get cut bc Jobes has not commited to him. I mean if that's the case mock Fitz bc could get cut too.
rampantjet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
I like it but like I've said before I'm not a fan of people mocking DWare. He's still signed with the Cowboys it's just assumed he "could" get cut bc Jobes has not commited to him. I mean if that's the case mock Fitz bc could get cut too.

It is a bit more likely that Ware gets cut than Fitz. I have looked into the Cowboys cap woes, and he is virtually one of the only guys that they can cut and save a decent amount of money. He is getting cut, I am pretty certain of it.

I did also say that I am not a huge proponent of the Ware signing, but I think it would very likely be a good possibility the moment he is no longer under contract. Also it could have massive upside.
mikejets22

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be so nervous trading out of the 1st round, but if it ends up like this I could not be mad. I like ODB, Cooks, Matthews, Adams, and Landry for the Jets, so any combination of them would make me happy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikejets22 wrote:
I would be so nervous trading out of the 1st round, but if it ends up like this I could not be mad. I like ODB, Cooks, Matthews, Adams, and Landry for the Jets, so any combination of them would make me happy.

I really like ODB and Cooks, but there are so many WR's that i like in this class that i feel like we could trade back and still end up doing well for ourselves. The more picks the merrier in my opinion.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Dallas (from NY) and trust me they are saying that all this DWare getting cut stuff is bull. The FO let Romo have the upper hand last offseason and overpaid him highly. What I hear is this just the FO showing that they want Ware to restructure and not let him have an upper hand. Obviously it's just media, I've just seen a couple people mock him recently when let's not forget he is far from cut. Trust me I'd love DWare, I'm the one who started the thread when there was word that he might get cut. I just think people are jumping the gun. Bc virtually every nfl player could get cut, so I think if people start mocking whoever they want it makes things more far fetched.
Heymangold

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would love it if that offseason and draft happened!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we need Pace AND Ware, so I think you could spend money elsewhere because we already have a few guys under contract at the position. I like the Matthews pick, but I'd also be afraid if we traded out of the first.
rampantjet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan95 wrote:
I don't think we need Pace AND Ware, so I think you could spend money elsewhere because we already have a few guys under contract at the position. I like the Matthews pick, but I'd also be afraid if we traded out of the first.

Oh ya thanks for reminding me, i actually meant to write my reasoning for this. I also think that is overkill, but i was doing what I think would happen in some of these cases and not what I would ideally do.

I think Pace is going to be resigned fairly soon, THEN Ware is going to become available and Rex is going to lose his mind. So Pace is already going to be under contract but they are still going to sign Ware because Rex will be standing on the ledge of a building threatening to jump if we don't.

Thus I see a rotation of Coples, Ware, Pace, and Barnes keeping those guys fresh as the games and season go on. I also think you could see Coples with his hand in the dirt a bit more too, to get any combination of 3 of those guys in there on passing downs.
green24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
jetsfan95 wrote:

Oh ya thanks for reminding me, i actually meant to write my reasoning for this. I also think that is overkill, but i was doing what I think would happen in some of these cases and not what I would ideally do.

I think Pace is going to be resigned fairly soon, THEN Ware is going to become available and Rex is going to lose his mind. So Pace is already going to be under contract but they are still going to sign Ware because Rex will be standing on the ledge of a building threatening to jump if we don't.

Thus I see a rotation of Coples, Ware, Pace, and Barnes keeping those guys fresh as the games and season go on. I also think you could see Coples with his hand in the dirt a bit more too, to get any combination of 3 of those guys in there on passing downs.

That's not really possible. His hand was pretty much always in the dirt last year.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
rampantjet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
rampantjet wrote:
jetsfan95 wrote:

That's not really possible. His hand was pretty much always in the dirt last year.

lol ya thats kind of true, i thought that as i was writing it. But Ware and Barnes on the outsides of a line of Sheldon, Snacks, Mo and Coples would be insanity.
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

It is a bit more likely that Ware gets cut than Fitz. I have looked into the Cowboys cap woes, and he is virtually one of the only guys that they can cut and save a decent amount of money. He is getting cut, I am pretty certain of it.

I did also say that I am not a huge proponent of the Ware signing, but I think it would very likely be a good possibility the moment he is no longer under contract. Also it could have massive upside.

Fitz restructured his deal and ware refused to do so. Ware has to be cut on his current deal, Dallas is already 20 mil over the cap and cutting ware offers them the most cap relief

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: