Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Real Life Free Agent Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: The Real Life Free Agent Discussion Reply with quote

Alright folks, I looked and didn't see one of these, so I thought I'd start one. If I just missed it I apologize and our wonderful MOD folks will lock it up.

My thoughts on this thread are to keep our ideas on ALL FA options in one place. Obviously if we sign someone we can get our own thread going for that. I also was thinking about this differently that the Pre-FA cuts, but if that were to evolve into this thread...OOPS I guess.

SO the things I'm thinking we'll talk about in here.

1. Who's available to us/should we target

2. Who's coming to town (we might actually know BEFORE they sign with another team with this front office)

3. How do these folks fit

4. ETC. - Sorry I can always edit this, but right now...coffee is in short supply.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm going to go off what I know, and what I've seen discussed on here and start a little list of guys that I think KC could target when/if they are available.

G -
Geoff Schwartz

Jon Asamoah

Evan Deitrich-Smith (versatile guy, can play both G and Center)

S -
Louis Delmas

Ricky Manning Jr. - If he becomes available

Thomas DeCoud - If he becomes available

Malcolm Jenkins - a solid, not great player

WR - (Assuming guys like Nicks/Decker are out of our price range)
Riley Cooper

James Jones - Probably my favorite, not a burner but has shown a huge improvement in his hands after early issues with drops/fumbles

Jeremy Maclin - Might be the cheapest of the group, but appears to want to stay in Philly and doesn't have an issue with sign and prove it deal

Julian Edleman - Could fill the return void as well

TE -
Zack Miller - I think it's Zack...from Seattle

Jermichael Finely - Personally not a fan, but is the pass catcher we're looking for. Will he get cleared to play though?

DL -
Lamaar Houston - would be a good add, might get more money elsewhere

Tyson Jackson

There are other guys...just don't know if they fit/are affordable
samsel23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add to this section once FA is over in FFMD.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resigning our guys on the oline would help a great deal. It would give us more options come draft time, so I think that should be priority number one. as far as free agents go, FS should be addressed. If only Byrd would become available...he would be a perfect fit but unlikely to happen. Others guys like Delmas and Jenkins would be good too.

Props to LOTO on the sig.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da_Zou13 wrote:
Resigning our guys on the oline would help a great deal. It would give us more options come draft time, so I think that should be priority number one. as far as free agents go, FS should be addressed. If only Byrd would become available...he would be a perfect fit but unlikely to happen. Others guys like Delmas and Jenkins would be good too.

I agree on re-signing either Asamoah or Schwartz being a key. I like the idea of adding Danieal Manning (if he is cut), Malcolm Jenkins (if he is cut), or Antrelle Rolle (if he is cut). Manning would probably be the most cost effective signing followed by Jenkins and Rolle. I don't think we have the cap room to go for Rolle as he would likely be in pretty high demand as would Jenkins.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, I agree on the guys you mentioned and where they fall on the paying order. I still have issues with Rolle after the vicious play against LJ back in the day. Truly thought he had broken his neck, and went at it purposefully to harm him. But I digress.

I'm really interested to see what if anything happens with our guys prior to the start of FA. I think we NEED to sign one of the guards, or have a line on a replacement of equal ability. In my opinion a few of the people we have currently who will be FAs are the difference between going BPA and having to draft out of need. Guys like Abdullah/Jordan/Asamoah or Schwartz could have a devastating impact on our draft. They are the difference between drafting to improve and drafting because of huge gaping holes.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Over the weekend, a report emerged that the Eagles have placed a higher priority on keeping receiver Jeremy Maclin than keeping receiver Riley Cooper.

As we hear it, itís actually the other way around.

As mentioned on Tuesdayís Pro Football Talk on NBCSN, Cooper is the higher priority than Maclin. Indeed, itís our understanding that itís not even close.

Cooper played very well last year, his first as a starter and his first in the Chip Kelly offense. Maclin didnít play at all after tearing an ACL in training camp.

Weíd previously heard that the market for Cooper is expected to be active. Which means that, if the Eagles plan to keep him, they need to match or beat whatever Cooper could get as a free agent.
And thatís the upside to the inevitable tampering that occurs at this time of the year. Both the player and the team know whatís behind Door No. 2 before the door swings open at the start of free agency. They can then try to work out a new contract without having to guess at what the player would get if he walks away.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/26/source-cooper-is-more-of-a-priority-than-maclin/

I think the Eagles could afford both Cooper and Maclin (with Maclin likely re-signing under a 1 year "prove it" deal) but IF they decide to focus on Cooper and let the market set the value for Maclin, we might be able to get him in for a visit. I wouldn't want to do much more than a two year deal maximum with plenty of incentives. My guess is Maclin would want to give the Eagles an opportunity to "match" the offer.

valkrei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Quote:
Over the weekend, a report emerged that the Eagles have placed a higher priority on keeping receiver Jeremy Maclin than keeping receiver Riley Cooper.

As mentioned on Tuesdayís Pro Football Talk on NBCSN, Cooper is the higher priority than Maclin. Indeed, itís our understanding that itís not even close.

Cooper played very well last year, his first as a starter and his first in the Chip Kelly offense. Maclin didnít play at all after tearing an ACL in training camp.

Weíd previously heard that the market for Cooper is expected to be active. Which means that, if the Eagles plan to keep him, they need to match or beat whatever Cooper could get as a free agent.
And thatís the upside to the inevitable tampering that occurs at this time of the year. Both the player and the team know whatís behind Door No. 2 before the door swings open at the start of free agency. They can then try to work out a new contract without having to guess at what the player would get if he walks away.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/26/source-cooper-is-more-of-a-priority-than-maclin/

I think the Eagles could afford both Cooper and Maclin (with Maclin likely re-signing under a 1 year "prove it" deal) but IF they decide to focus on Cooper and let the market set the value for Maclin, we might be able to get him in for a visit. I wouldn't want to do much more than a two year deal maximum with plenty of incentives. My guess is Maclin would want to give the Eagles an opportunity to "match" the offer.

Anyone know if Maclin is a Chiefs fan prior to being drafted?

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
kingseanjohn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkrei wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
Quote:

Anyone know if Maclin is a Chiefs fan prior to being drafted?

He grew up in Kirkwood, near St. Louis. And here's a quote from an old ESPN interview....

Quote:

I was a Rams fan, with the greatest show on turf with Torry, Marshall, Isaac and Kurt.

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: Jamaal Charles
Carries:42/Yds:195/TD:1/YPC:4.6
Rec:9/Yds:43/TD:2
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the kid is clearly a liar...nobody is a Rams fan! Seriously though, I'm not as sold on Maclin as others, if he comes cheap, sure, but for a bit more we could snag a guy like Jones, then look to draft a mid-round burner.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
So the kid is clearly a liar...nobody is a Rams fan! Seriously though, I'm not as sold on Maclin as others, if he comes cheap, sure, but for a bit more we could snag a guy like Jones, then look to draft a mid-round burner.

I don't know that if we sign Maclin we skuttle the idea of adding a quality wide receiver in round 1 like Beckham, Cooks, Adams, or Lee. Maclin is anything but a sure thing and would likely be signed to a 1 or 2 year deal with plenty of playing time incentives. I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on Maclin long term with no legitimate youth at the position to develop. He would be a really nice piece that if healthy could make more of an impact than Donnie Avery.

KC_Guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A luxury guy ...

Quote:
Browns released ILB D'Qwell Jackson.
Jackson, 30, was due $4.1 million in bonuses on March 16. The Browns are saving $5.23 million against the 2014 cap with the move but are also eating $4.2 million in dead money. Jackson has spent his entire eight-year career with the Browns since being the No. 34 pick in the 2006 draft. He finished with a team-high 141 tackles in 2013 and has led the Browns in that department each of the past three seasons. Pro Football Focus graded Jackson out as a bottom-six inside linebacker against the run last season. He has shown an ability to get to the quarterback the past three years, registering 8.5 sacks. Jackson can play every down and is a top-six free agent inside 'backer.

The red portion doesn't fit the rest of the description though.
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say no to any WR not named Maclin. Too much depth in the draft at that position.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are WRs in FA better than Maclin with less risk. As I said, I'm ok with Maclin on the cheap, and then still drafting a WR. Another option would be picking up a guy like James Jones, and then drafting a guy 3rd round or later to play the returner/speed role.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
A luxury guy ...

Quote:
Browns released ILB D'Qwell Jackson.
Jackson, 30, was due $4.1 million in bonuses on March 16. The Browns are saving $5.23 million against the 2014 cap with the move but are also eating $4.2 million in dead money. Jackson has spent his entire eight-year career with the Browns since being the No. 34 pick in the 2006 draft. He finished with a team-high 141 tackles in 2013 and has led the Browns in that department each of the past three seasons. Pro Football Focus graded Jackson out as a bottom-six inside linebacker against the run last season. He has shown an ability to get to the quarterback the past three years, registering 8.5 sacks. Jackson can play every down and is a top-six free agent inside 'backer.

The red portion doesn't fit the rest of the description though.

I would prefer re-signing Akeem Jordan and really hope Nico Johnson takes the next step in his development and starts to force his way onot the field.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 1 of 49

Jump to: