Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FA news and rumors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiamiGuy13 wrote:
why didnt we sign trindon holliday for more than 700,000

While I like Trindon Holliday I happen to think Miami's return guy is just fine. Trindon Holliday drops a lot of crucial balls though
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChosenOne3188 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
ChosenOne3188 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
4 mil for a 30 year old returner who doesn't play anything else....lol

If its only for 1 year and we aren't going to be using the money in other areas, why not?

Because cap unspent this year doesn't just go away. It gets pushed forward to future years. So it always matters. One of the reasons we have so much cap is that we pushed forward 18M from last season

Good Answer!!!

I think its more important to worry about this season, rather than saving money again for next season. Eventually we have to spend for the current season rather than the future.

Not on an over 30 returner....

Keep Thingpen, Draft Dri Archer and let magic happen.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
ChosenOne3188 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
ChosenOne3188 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

If its only for 1 year and we aren't going to be using the money in other areas, why not?

Because cap unspent this year doesn't just go away. It gets pushed forward to future years. So it always matters. One of the reasons we have so much cap is that we pushed forward 18M from last season

Good Answer!!!

I think its more important to worry about this season, rather than saving money again for next season. Eventually we have to spend for the current season rather than the future.

Not on an over 30 returner....

Keep Thingpen, Draft Dri Archer and let magic happen.

I would love to draft Archer if he is still available in round 5 or later, I would probably even spend a 4th on him. He's got some burners and I don't think we can ever have enough speed.

That being said, I'm not interested in Hester at $4 mil per season........I would much rather roll that money into next season than spend it on Hester. I am a U of Miami fan and I really love having those players on the Dolphins, but Hester is a luxury type player and we need to spend on role players and every down talent.

Additionally, we have just over $19 mil in cap room. We can sign a player or two that should provide functionality to our Offense, and still have a healthy chunk left to roll into next season.
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChosenOne3188 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
ChosenOne3188 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Good Answer!!!

No offense to you, But you can never not worry about the future. Though I would love a great season, I do not want to be a one hit wonder (great one season to slide backwards again) you always have to consider how does this effect us over the long term. Look at the Cowboys they are or were in cap trouble. No thanks.

Adopt a Phins 2014, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
Tannehill (2014 Season stats)
60.5-Comp/ 419 Yards/ 3-TD's/ 2-INT/ 76.1-Rating
ChosenOne3188

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphinemidget wrote:
ChosenOne3188 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
ChosenOne3188 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Good Answer!!!

No offense to you, But you can never not worry about the future. Though I would love a great season, I do not want to be a one hit wonder (great one season to slide backwards again) you always have to consider how does this effect us over the long term. Look at the Cowboys they are or were in cap trouble. No thanks.

I never said we can't look at the future, I said that, at some point, we have to start making moves for the present, like getting a veteran who can help us win now

AIM/Steam/XBL: ChosenOne3188
Kaiowas05

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

think of it this way,

if we spend all our cap this year including the roll forward money, then next year, assuming a net flat cap and a net flat salary figure then we are 15m over the cap.

Obviously there will be guys out of contract next year but do you really not want to resign them?

We'd be in big trouble and have to cut a lot of guys that might be valuable for a marginal gain this year.

Wait til we are on the brink of something then splurge. No use using it on some 2nd week FAs right now
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner '12, '13 and '14
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013
green4gulf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiowas05 wrote:
think of it this way,

if we spend all our cap this year including the roll forward money, then next year, assuming a net flat cap and a net flat salary figure then we are 15m over the cap.

Obviously there will be guys out of contract next year but do you really not want to resign them?

We'd be in big trouble and have to cut a lot of guys that might be valuable for a marginal gain this year.

Wait til we are on the brink of something then splurge. No use using it on some 2nd week FAs right now

This is a very valid point. Just as easily as the league raises the salary cap it can also lower the salary cap. I recently saw an article on league cap projections and in some years the cap was projected to be less than the year before.
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also did Splash the FA last season, OLD JEFF terd Ireland brought in three KEY players.

Wallace
Ellerby
Wheeler

Give Hickney credit, so far he is addressing positions of need and not putting us in the broke house. not saying he is doing an amazing job, I am saying I am not unhappy with what he has done so far, really want to see how he approaches the draft.

Stars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiowas05 wrote:
think of it this way,

Not necessarily... if we use our cap space by front loading contracts, then we can really bring down our future cap figures and continue to have space year on year. All depends on what we're talking about, I guess.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
MiamiGuy13 wrote:

While I like Trindon Holliday I happen to think Miami's return guy is just fine. Trindon Holliday drops a lot of crucial balls though

While Trindon Holliday may not be the answer, I do think they need to bring someone in, at the very least to offer up some competition as our return game had a huge drop in productivity in 2013.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 2, Tackles 4 Assists 2

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 2 : Death 10 Joe 7
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
MiamiGuy13 wrote:

While Trindon Holliday may not be the answer, I do think they need to bring someone in, at the very least to offer up some competition as our return game had a huge drop in productivity in 2013.

We have 6 picks and a need to bring money over to next year's cap. Some of these moves will have to take a back seat to more pressing needs.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Jerry signed with the Giants. I'll be back in a few, I have to go to Hallmark and get a condolence card, my cousin is a Giants fan.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 2, Tackles 4 Assists 2

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 2 : Death 10 Joe 7
cddolphin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
John Jerry signed with the Giants. I'll be back in a few, I have to go to Hallmark and get a condolence card, my cousin is a Giants fan.

Jerry was okay in pass pro most of the time, at least. I wish him well in NY, always got a soft spot in my hearts for those guys
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giants must be in cap trouble to sign him, probably a signing to show the other Oline what not to do.

All things wish him the best.

ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
MiamiGuy13 wrote:

And you think that is Thigpen's fault? Thigpen fits the return guy model perfectly, swift, quick and fast plus he is vertically challenged. You guys just want to change for the sake of changing and it makes no sense. Signing Hester made no sense. You do not invest that much money is return guys who do not contribute in other areas of the team. Especially since the NFL is phasing out the impact of special team players. Thigpen is fine. If Miami do not plan on resigning Thigpen down the road then they can draft a guy in the 7th round or, even better, pick up a UDFA. There will be tons of guys who are shifty, quick and vertically challenge that will make excellent punt returners.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 20 of 24

Jump to: