Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Danieal Manning and Antonio Smith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Danieal Manning and Antonio Smith Reply with quote

Hey guys, I apologize for creating this thread - I couldn't find another one that made sense to include this in.

Do you think the Texans will keep Danieal Manning or is there a chance he could be released? Also, do you think the Texans will make a push to re-sign Antonio Smith? With Romeo Crennel being hired as the DC, it might mean you are going to see more of a 2-gap defensive scheme than a 1-gap (sorry to say that, IMO the 2-gap as a base defense is largely obsolete).

As a Chiefs fan, I would love to see us target Manning if he hits the market and would like to see us adopt a more attacking 1-gap defense, and I think Smith would be a very good stop-gap veteran defense end to help our front make the transition.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
dsorc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is mutual interest between the team and Antonio about keeping him here. There has also been no indication from the team or the local media about Manning being cut. All that speculation comes from national outlets that looked at his contract and saw that we could save money if we cut him. As to the 2-gap versus 1-gap, the more I look at it, the more that distinction becomes unimportant. Antonio will still be asked to play as UT in at least half of his snaps when we are in nickle or dime.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see us releasing Manning
Garagely

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
There is mutual interest between the team and Antonio about keeping him here. There has also been no indication from the team or the local media about Manning being cut. All that speculation comes from national outlets that looked at his contract and saw that we could save money if we cut him. As to the 2-gap versus 1-gap, the more I look at it, the more that distinction becomes unimportant. Antonio will still be asked to play as UT in at least half of his snaps when we are in nickle or dime.

Actually today on 790 they were discussing the benefits of cutting Manning, Daniels, Myers and Joseph. I love Manning, he's a Texas boy and would have loved to see him return kicks on a regular basis. But his time here is over. With the amount we would save from cutting him and his injury issues the past two seasons it needs to be done. Possibly look into converting Kareem as discussed and drafting another CB. Or Safety. Some of the upper tier should still be available in 2&3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garagely wrote:
dsorc wrote:

Actually today on 790 they were discussing the benefits of cutting Manning, Daniels, Myers and Joseph. I love Manning, he's a Texas boy and would have loved to see him return kicks on a regular basis. But his time here is over. With the amount we would save from cutting him and his injury issues the past two seasons it needs to be done. Possibly look into converting Kareem as discussed and drafting another CB. Or Safety. Some of the upper tier should still be available in 2&3

Why would we cut Manning,Myers, and Joseph? Do you want to turn this team into a total rebuilding project. Manning was injured last year, but is only 31 so still has a few years left in him. Joseph is the only legitimate cover corner that we have on this team, and Cutting Myers would create more dead money since he has 3 years left on his contract. This team is not as bad as some may think, but if you start cutting all the players over 30 who are still serviceable then welcome to the rebuilding process all over again.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Garagely

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Garagely wrote:
dsorc wrote:

Why would we cut Manning,Myers, and Joseph? Do you want to turn this team into a total rebuilding project. Manning was injured last year, but is only 31 so still has a few years left in him. Joseph is the only legitimate cover corner that we have on this team, and Cutting Myers would create more dead money since he has 3 years left on his contract. This team is not as bad as some may think, but if you start cutting all the players over 30 who are still serviceable then welcome to the rebuilding process all over again.

1. Read.
He said local media has not said anything of cutting Manning. I simply commented that today they(790) mentioned the cutting of those 4 to clear space. Not Me. So don't assume I want a total rebuild.

2. Manning is 31but let's not pretend he didn't have his issue in coverage this past year when he was healthy. He is past his prime and safety has needed a upgrade since the days of Marcus Coleman. We have Keo, Swearinger and Manning all of which are true Strong Safeties. None specialize in coverage and that unit is certainly due for a shakeup if we want to be legitimate contenders

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garagely wrote:
buckwild wrote:
Garagely wrote:
dsorc wrote:

1. Read.
He said local media has not said anything of cutting Manning. I simply commented that today they(790) mentioned the cutting of those 4 to clear space. Not Me. So don't assume I want a total rebuild.

2. Manning is 31but let's not pretend he didn't have his issue in coverage this past year when he was healthy. He is past his prime and safety has needed a upgrade since the days of Marcus Coleman. We have Keo, Swearinger and Manning all of which are true Strong Safeties. None specialize in coverage and that unit is certainly due for a shakeup if we want to be legitimate contenders

We are not legitimate contenders! We have the 1st pick in the draft, and can't fix everything in one offseason.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
LORK 88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Garagely wrote:
buckwild wrote:
Garagely wrote:
dsorc wrote:

1. Read.

We are not legitimate contenders! We have the 1st pick in the draft, and can't fix everything in one offseason.

The past 2 teams with the #1 overall pick made the playoffs the following year (Colts, Chiefs). We can't fix everything immediately, but we can certainly compete and possibly get a playoff spot. We certainly don't need to blow everything up and start a lengthy rebuild process.

ADOPT-A-TEXAN: CJ "Polish Hat" Fiedorowicz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: