Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hypothetical: Pursue Jim Harbaugh?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Hypothetical: Pursue Jim Harbaugh? Reply with quote

With the reported rift between Harbaugh and the 49ers FO seemingly growing by the day, it's becoming likely his last season in SF will be either 2014 or 2015.

Rex Ryan is secured for the 2014 season, but his status remains largely uncertain for 2015.

My question is simple: say Harbaugh is released from his contract following this season, would you be in favor of firing Rex to make a full-court press to sign Harbaugh? What record would the Jets have to have for you to not want to do that?

What about 2015? What is the point where you would say Rex has done enough to be worth keeping over a chance to hire Harbaugh?

I actually don't know if I can answer the question right now, to be honest. If the Jets remain status quo in 2014, and Harbaugh is indeed released, I think it's possible. If the Jets make the playoffs I think it becomes unlikely.

2015 is another animal, though. The Jets would have to be serious playoff contenders for me to not at least heavily consider the option of pursuing Harbaugh.
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take Harbaugh over Rex every day of the week, but I really think he stays in SF. But hypothetically I could see our defense being intriguing for him if he ever became available as well as our WCO.
mikejets22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Rex the roster Jim has had during his tenure.

Who knows how good Jim really is? His teams have literally been stacked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rex is a top 5-10 coach in his own right but Harbaugh is the best coach in the NFL not named Belichick.

Still no.

Last edited by green24 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
mikejets22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
I think Rex is a top 10 coach in his own right but Harbaugh is the best coach in the NFL not named Belichick.

I'm not saying Rex is better or worse, but Jim hasn't done anything unbelievable. He's taken a ridiculously talented team far into the playoffs. Great RB, Oline, TE, unreal LBs, strong dline, strong safety play, QB, Bolden, Crabtree - pretty much every position. Very few weaknesses.

That talent level is unreal. Come take the Jets 2011/12/13 talent to the CG or the SB. Not gonna happen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, as much flak as Rex Ryan has received for his over the top personality in his first few years, at least there is some humor and self awareness about his persona from his part. Jim Harbaugh strikes me as as a spastic, out of control guy.

As has been said, he's had the benefit of walking into a prime roster in the NFL. I t would have been some show seeing him screaming his guts out at a 4 win Browns team this season after they forked over their draft to get him. Not that I have anything against the Browns, but this guy needs a humbling experience in his career.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

N E W Y O R K J E T S
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Rex is a Jets fan at heart that counts for something with me
Mr.O

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Rex4Life
KBS756

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking Rex over Jim

Don't remember a time where Rex had a QB in place + everything else like Harbaugh has ... but I do remember when we had a decently talented team Rex took us to back to back AFC Championship games with Mark as our QB.

And I don't think anyone would have trouble with the claim that the 49rs have had a far more talented roster through Jim Harbaugh's tenure then Rex has ever had ... in addition to having a QB in Alex Smith and then Colin Kaepernick
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
No.

Rex is a Jets fan at heart that counts for something with me

This

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason you should fire Rex for another coach already lined up is if you think that both Dennis Thurman will keep the defense as good as Rex has and that the new coach will immediately improve the offense. I don't think Jim does that. He's a good coach. No doubt.
richie jets

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbaugh having the guts to bench Alex smith who was ranked #1 passer rating for kap, in 2012 was one of the greatest moves . I'd take jim. But if Rex gets 10 wins or more he earned it . And should stay
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how we do next season, but I have faith in Rex. That being said, Jim Harbaugh would be awfully hard to pass up.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
RDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no thank you. I do not like Harbaugh and hes grossly overrated.

Rex is our guy and I am glad hes here. But more than just Rex, i am glad we have Idzik. I like how Idzik presents himself and how hes turned around the face of this team. I tribute a lot of our success to him and Rex together.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: