Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Clowney or Mack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which one?
Mack
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
Clowney
75%
 75%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 24

mjmiller

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman70 wrote:
The question is moot. There's no way in God's green earth that Clowney ever falls to us, nor do I think there a chance anyone takes make before us.

Just the fact that Clowney ran that ungodly 40 time ensures that at least the Raiders would take him. I feel that Clowney is an A+ talent and Mack is an A. I really would love to have either of them

i would have to disagree there. i think theres a chance that the Raiders make a play for Watkins. or even Bridgewater if he somehow falls to them. but thats really the only other 2 in play IMO. very very slim chance it happens but i do believe its a possibility.
Lentz33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
Lentz33 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
Clowney > anyone else.

HAHAHAHA Cool Clowney has the physical tools but his mental gameplay is the huge question mark. I still don't think he will be there at 6 though. I'd expect Robinson, Matthews or Mack if we do pick at 6.

What's so funny about that?

I didn't mean anything by it, I just thought it was funny that the Clowney hype has us all thinking he could be the greatest thing ever when there is most likely a DE in this draft who will be better than him. Thing is we just don't know if who that is.

Umm... what? Why would there be a "most likely" chance that there is someone that's going to be better than the projected best? Wouldn't that mean he has the best chance at being the best? Also, Clowney is definitely the best DE in this draft. No question.

The odds of Clowney being the "best" DE in the draft is quantifiable. Examine how many other DE's are in the draft and the odds are against him. That being said, he may beat those odds. Now whatever your defitition of "best" is subjective. I'm simply going with the math here. I think Clowney is one of the best DE prospects in the draft but to say he is the best DE in the draft is subjective. Not Fact.

Who is better than Clowney right now?

The odds are Clowney will be the best DE in this draft. IS there a chance hes not... of course? But hes still odds on favorite to be the best. And this is just a stupid point to bring up. It could be someones opinion that Brady Quinn is the best QB in the league, doesnt mean people should put salt into it.... just means one guy has a really stupid opinion.

How old are you? Do you know any other way to express yourself than calling other peoples' statements and opinions "stupid". The maturity level in here is really lacking. The only other thing lacking more than maturity in here is intelligence. Who are you to make judgment on how credible someone's opinion is? Please refrain from making any more asinine comments as you really show your ignorance.

And who is better than Clowney right now? Umm that question can't be answered as none of these prospects has played a down in the NFL. It is all speculation and grander at this point. Also, it depends on scheme, coaching and talent. All of those factors will depend on what DE will be the "best". So to make a blanket statement that Clowney is the "best" is irresponsible. Especially when he was not the best DE in his own college conference let alone the NCAA this year.

You do realize that calling him immature isn't any better than him calling your opinion stupid, right? Your argument is so counterproductive it made me laugh.

Adopt-a-Falcon: Matt Ryan - 76-111 68.4% 965 yards 7 TDs 3 INTs 105.2 QB Rating
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
Lentz33 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
Clowney > anyone else.

HAHAHAHA Cool Clowney has the physical tools but his mental gameplay is the huge question mark. I still don't think he will be there at 6 though. I'd expect Robinson, Matthews or Mack if we do pick at 6.

I didn't mean anything by it, I just thought it was funny that the Clowney hype has us all thinking he could be the greatest thing ever when there is most likely a DE in this draft who will be better than him. Thing is we just don't know if who that is.

Umm... what? Why would there be a "most likely" chance that there is someone that's going to be better than the projected best? Wouldn't that mean he has the best chance at being the best? Also, Clowney is definitely the best DE in this draft. No question.

The odds of Clowney being the "best" DE in the draft is quantifiable. Examine how many other DE's are in the draft and the odds are against him. That being said, he may beat those odds. Now whatever your defitition of "best" is subjective. I'm simply going with the math here. I think Clowney is one of the best DE prospects in the draft but to say he is the best DE in the draft is subjective. Not Fact.

The odds are Clowney will be the best DE in this draft. IS there a chance hes not... of course? But hes still odds on favorite to be the best. And this is just a stupid point to bring up. It could be someones opinion that Brady Quinn is the best QB in the league, doesnt mean people should put salt into it.... just means one guy has a really stupid opinion.

How old are you? Do you know any other way to express yourself than calling other peoples' statements and opinions "stupid". The maturity level in here is really lacking. The only other thing lacking more than maturity in here is intelligence. Who are you to make judgment on how credible someone's opinion is? Please refrain from making any more asinine comments as you really show your ignorance.

And who is better than Clowney right now? Umm that question can't be answered as none of these prospects has played a down in the NFL. It is all speculation and grander at this point. Also, it depends on scheme, coaching and talent. All of those factors will depend on what DE will be the "best". So to make a blanket statement that Clowney is the "best" is irresponsible. Especially when he was not the best DE in his own college conference let alone the NCAA this year.

You seem to think all opinions are equal... they arent. This particular opinion of yours is stupid. If there was a better way to put it, i would, but unfortunately there isnt. As I said, someone can have the opinion that Brady Quinn is the best QB in the league, that would just be a stupid one.

As far as who is better than Clowney right now, why would you think Spoon was talking about what the players would be like in 15 years. Right now, Clowney is the best DE by far. If you really want to play the odds as you referenced early, then you would want Clowney. Lastly, theres a difference between the most productive and the best. Clowney was still the best.

Again, who do you feel is better than Clowney? not in 5 years, not in 3 years, right now.
tech2186

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
Lentz33 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
Clowney > anyone else.

You seem to think all opinions are equal... they arent. This particular opinion of yours is stupid. If there was a better way to put it, i would, but unfortunately there isnt. As I said, someone can have the opinion that Brady Quinn is the best QB in the league, that would just be a stupid one.

As far as who is better than Clowney right now, why would you think Spoon was talking about what the players would be like in 15 years. Right now, Clowney is the best DE by far. If you really want to play the odds as you referenced early, then you would want Clowney. Lastly, theres a difference between the most productive and the best. Clowney was still the best.

Again, who do you feel is better than Clowney? not in 5 years, not in 3 years, right now.

Now if I was as immature as you I could easily say the your baseless opinion that "Clowney was the best DE last year" was stupid. But I think that statement speaks for itself. Results are the only things that matter. Not potential. Potential is nothing if not acted upon. I mean you have the potential to make intelligent statements but you dont. Because all you have is potential.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
Lentz33 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
Clowney > anyone else.

Now if I was as immature as you I could easily say the your baseless opinion that "Clowney was the best DE last year" was stupid. But I think that statement speaks for itself. Results are the only things that matter. Not potential. Potential is nothing if not acted upon. I mean you have the potential to make intelligent statements but you dont. Because all you have is potential.

Again you show you dont understand the difference between production and skill ( or being the best to make it easy for you). Congrats. If you would like to test this however, we can go to the draft forum and start a poll. Cool?
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said "Clowney > anyone else", I meant that Clowney is clearly the best prospect at DE in this draft. There is some good mid-round talent at DE but after Clowney and Ealy (I am being generous and including Ealy), the talent drops off. Sure you got guys like Murphy and Crichton, but really ask yourself - do they compare to Clowney's measurables and potential? No is the answer. That's why I, and plenty of other Falcons/NFL fans and draft analysists think Clowney is the best DE in the draft. It really isn't that hard to agree with that unless you are like Mayock and just have some sort of unseen "beef" with Clowney Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
When I said "Clowney > anyone else", I meant that Clowney is clearly the best prospect at DE in this draft. There is some good mid-round talent at DE but after Clowney and Ealy (I am being generous and including Ealy), the talent drops off. Sure you got guys like Murphy and Crichton, but really ask yourself - do they compare to Clowney's measurables and potential? No is the answer. That's why I, and plenty of other Falcons/NFL fans and draft analysists think Clowney is the best DE in the draft. It really isn't that hard to agree with that unless you are like Mayock and just have some sort of unseen "beef" with Clowney Laughing

I def respect where you are coming from but..

To be honest, I value a players perfomance on the field of play day in and out more and that is more important to me than a workout
warrior". We have seen plenty of guys blow up the Combine and have all this "potential" and they amount to nothing. Clowney has the measurables and workout ability and he could be the best DE in the draft but so could players like Dee Ford, Kareem Martin, and Chris Smith.

Clowney gets so much attention that other players get overlooked. Michael Sam led the SEC in sacks this past year but no one cared. Dee Ford was the reason Auburn's defense was even relevant and he had more sacks and pressures than Clowney. And that's just the SEC. I don't think it is unfair to scrutinize his inconsistent play on the field. I would take Clowney if he fell to #6. I would not trade up for him though. However, I think there are "safer" players in this draft who I would rather have in place of Clowney. I think Mack or Robinson will be consisitent above average player in the NFL that have less of a bust factor than Clowney does.

SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:

To be honest, I value a players perfomance on the field of play day in and out more and that is more important to me than a workout
warrior". We have seen plenty of guys blow up the Combine and have all this "potential" and they amount to nothing. Clowney has the measurables and workout ability and he could be the best DE in the draft but so could players like Dee Ford, Kareem Martin, and Chris Smith.

Clowney gets so much attention that other players get overlooked. Michael Sam led the SEC in sacks this past year but no one cared. Dee Ford was the reason Auburn's defense was even relevant and he had more sacks and pressures than Clowney. And that's just the SEC. I don't think it is unfair to scrutinize his inconsistent play on the field. I would take Clowney if he fell to #6. I would not trade up for him though. However, I think there are "safer" players in this draft who I would rather have in place of Clowney. I think Mack or Robinson will be consisitent above average player in the NFL that have less of a bust factor than Clowney does.

I see what you're saying but just because Sam led the SEC in sacks doesn't mean he will be a better player than Clowney (Sam ran a 4.91 IIRC). I agree that Clowney is a big "boom/bust" player... he could be the next Julius Peppers or he could be a Busterson...nothing is guaranteed. I will say that some of the stuff surrounding Clowney is a bit exaggerated IMO. Bottom line is, if by some chance Clowney falls to 6, you gotta take him. I would be against trading up for any player in this draft, including Clowney. This draft is too deep to be giving up picks for one player.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:

I see what you're saying but just because Sam led the SEC in sacks doesn't mean he will be a better player than Clowney (Sam ran a 4.91 IIRC). I agree that Clowney is a big "boom/bust" player... he could be the next Julius Peppers or he could be a Busterson...nothing is guaranteed. I will say that some of the stuff surrounding Clowney is a bit exaggerated IMO. Bottom line is, if by some chance Clowney falls to 6, you gotta take him. I would be against trading up for any player in this draft, including Clowney. This draft is too deep to be giving up picks for one player.

I def feel you. I have no idea what kind of player Sam will be in the NFL because he hasn't played yet. If they move him to OLB I think he has a bigger chance to bust though. He is a natural 4-3 DE. He is just undersized but that is an obstacle that can be overcome if he plays like he did in college and gets coached up. But to say Clowney was disappointing this year is an understatement.

I agree, I would rather trade down and garner picks. We have a lot of holes that need to be taken care of and we can't rely on one player to get us back to a winning team. I think the brass has something up there sleeves, I just hope we will all be pleased with the draft come April.

SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:

I def feel you. I have no idea what kind of player Sam will be in the NFL because he hasn't played yet. If they move him to OLB I think he has a bigger chance to bust though. He is a natural 4-3 DE. He is just undersized but that is an obstacle that can be overcome if he plays like he did in college and gets coached up. But to say Clowney was disappointing this year is an understatement.

I agree, I would rather trade down and garner picks. We have a lot of holes that need to be taken care of and we can't rely on one player to get us back to a winning team. I think the brass has something up there sleeves, I just hope we will all be pleased with the draft come April.

Agreed. I would love to trade back, take Donald and load up on talent in rounds 2-3 (even possibly get a 2015 1st). However, I would also be extremely happy if we took Mack or Clowney at 6 - there's so many options.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
BladeKor wrote:
Either one, i'll be okay with. If we get mack, there could be a chance that Donald falls to late 20's and we can trade back up and draft him.

what does mack going at 6 have to do with donald being there late 1st? If anything, the earlier Mack goes, the earlier Donald goes as well.

If we don't trade up for Clowney, we could draft Mack, if he's there at our #6 pick and if Donald falls in the 20's range, we could trade up for him.

Last edited by BladeKor on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:

Dee ford is 6'2, 250. Hes not a DE and with what he weighed in at neither is Murphy. Sam shows he has very little explosion, hes widely considered a late round pick. You still dont seem to understand that players can be schemed around in college where its more difficult to do in the pros. You also seem to think best production means best talent, i can provide a long list to prove that theory wrong if needed. Would really like a response to this.
birdman70

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjmiller wrote:
birdman70 wrote:
The question is moot. There's no way in God's green earth that Clowney ever falls to us, nor do I think there a chance anyone takes make before us.

Just the fact that Clowney ran that ungodly 40 time ensures that at least the Raiders would take him. I feel that Clowney is an A+ talent and Mack is an A. I really would love to have either of them

i would have to disagree there. i think theres a chance that the Raiders make a play for Watkins. or even Bridgewater if he somehow falls to them. but thats really the only other 2 in play IMO. very very slim chance it happens but i do believe its a possibility.

Very slim as you say, 5%'ish. A viral rumor campaign against Clowney might slightly increase those odds.

I'm pretty cool with taking Mack or Robinson with #6 pick so I definitely don't want to trade up to get Clowney. Mack and Robinson are absolute studs and difference makers, so I don't see a major benefit in moving up from our position.
Based off the original question though, I would pick Clowney if he falls to 6.
tech2186

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman70 wrote:
mjmiller wrote:
birdman70 wrote:

Very slim as you say, 5%'ish. A viral rumor campaign against Clowney might slightly increase those odds.

I'm pretty cool with taking Mack or Robinson with #6 pick so I definitely don't want to trade up to get Clowney. Mack and Robinson are absolute studs and difference makers, so I don't see a major benefit in moving up from our position.

Agreed. With an infusion of FA talent on both sides of the lines, Robinson or Mack would be day 1 difference makers in a big way.

There is an article that talks about how the Falcons haven't ruled out moving Baker to RT. Of course it's speculation but it's something to think about.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/54383/could-sam-bakers-future-be-at-right-tackle

birdman70

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
birdman70 wrote:
mjmiller wrote:
birdman70 wrote:

Agreed. With an infusion of FA talent on both sides of the lines, Robinson or Mack would be day 1 difference makers in a big way.

There is an article that talks about how the Falcons haven't ruled out moving Baker to RT. Of course it's speculation but it's something to think about.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/54383/could-sam-bakers-future-be-at-right-tackle

To me, Baker doesn't profile well as a RT and I believe a previous experiment with him at that position didn't go particularly well.
I wouldn't mind bringing in Richie Incognito as a special asst. to the OL coach to bully Baker into quitting on his own. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: