Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Clowney or Mack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which one?
Mack
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
Clowney
75%
 75%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 24

FalconFan13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
FalconFan13 wrote:
Im taking Mack as i think he can do alot more in Nolan's Multiple scheme than Clowney can and doesn't have all the flaws that Clowney does coming out. Im a huge critic on work ethic if you show the lack of it then you take a big hit in my book.

With that said im not dumb enough to not notice his talent and upside overall and would still take him at 6 if Mack was gone but i would take Mack 1st.

I think people forget how terrible we were against RB's and TE's in coverage the last couple of years Mack would come in and help that a ton and still be able to bring pressure when asked of him. Clowney can bring pressure as well but i don't see him no where near as great in coverage as Mack is when called upon to do so.

In order the 4 players i want the most for the Falcons at 6 would be

Mack
Clowney
Donald
Robinson

Doesnt matter how good you are in coverage, if you cant get to the QB. No body can cover forever. If your reasoning for wanting Mack is because hes better in coverage, I really dont have many words. Ifs thats the man issue, why not draft Telvin Smith in round 5, or Van Noy or 2 or 3 ?

And when has Clowney shown a lack of work ethic?

Thats not the only reason i want him is because he can cover thats just a huge plus to his game that Clowney doesn't bring. Mack can still brings tons of pressure and stop the run just like Clowney can. Mack just has that extra coverage ability that Clowney lacks to help him more as a prospect to me.

Also thats the one of the main knocks and problems people are having with Clowney right now is that he doesn't give max effort and Takes plays off. Which if a good D-line coach can get to him and coach that out of him he could be a straight monster. Cox might well be that coach that could do it but i will say this for a top 5 or 6 pick i don't like that a player has to be pushed and coached to want to be better. You should want to be the best and have the drive to be better than anyone else if your that type of talent.

As far as the if you can't get pressure it doesn't matter how good you are in coverage you tell that to Nolan who seems to love to drop his ends in coverage enough to be noticable. Abe done it, Kroy does it the most, and Osi + Mass done it this year.

Having a guy like Mack who is great at that for his position would for sure be a plus when called upon over a player like Clowney who isn't as adept to doing so at this point in his game.
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clowney > anyone else.

#FreeToddGurley
tech2186

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
Clowney > anyone else.

HAHAHAHA Cool Clowney has the physical tools but his mental gameplay is the huge question mark. I still don't think he will be there at 6 though. I'd expect Robinson, Matthews or Mack if we do pick at 6.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't pretend like I know all the facts about Clowney and at one point I didn't really want him, but if he's there you have to take him. His only real issue that has been brought up is that he doesn't play like a madman. If that is the only negative I will take it. Everyone in the NFL is there for a job, that means 52 other people are there to remind him that. College is much different than the pro's. If Clowney were playing a different position that wasn't a major need than I could see an argument for not drafting him. However he plays a position the Falcons haven't been able to find an answer for.

Mack being more versatile means nothing in the end. All the QB has to do is guide the play away from him. This team cannot hit the QB, cannot pressure the QB, hell this team can't even get within 5 yards of the QB.

Plus this team is feeling the absence of dreads after Julio (RIP Julios dreads) cut his off. Need more dreads.

XBL GT: L JGOLD L Adopt a Falcon | LB | Paul Worrilow
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
Clowney > anyone else.

HAHAHAHA Cool Clowney has the physical tools but his mental gameplay is the huge question mark. I still don't think he will be there at 6 though. I'd expect Robinson, Matthews or Mack if we do pick at 6.

What's so funny about that?

#FreeToddGurley
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FalconFan13 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
FalconFan13 wrote:
Im taking Mack as i think he can do alot more in Nolan's Multiple scheme than Clowney can and doesn't have all the flaws that Clowney does coming out. Im a huge critic on work ethic if you show the lack of it then you take a big hit in my book.

With that said im not dumb enough to not notice his talent and upside overall and would still take him at 6 if Mack was gone but i would take Mack 1st.

I think people forget how terrible we were against RB's and TE's in coverage the last couple of years Mack would come in and help that a ton and still be able to bring pressure when asked of him. Clowney can bring pressure as well but i don't see him no where near as great in coverage as Mack is when called upon to do so.

Mack
Clowney
Donald
Robinson

Doesnt matter how good you are in coverage, if you cant get to the QB. No body can cover forever. If your reasoning for wanting Mack is because hes better in coverage, I really dont have many words. Ifs thats the man issue, why not draft Telvin Smith in round 5, or Van Noy or 2 or 3 ?

Thats not the only reason i want him is because he can cover thats just a huge plus to his game that Clowney doesn't bring. Mack can still brings tons of pressure and stop the run just like Clowney can. Mack just has that extra coverage ability that Clowney lacks to help him more as a prospect to me.

Also thats the one of the main knocks and problems people are having with Clowney right now is that he doesn't give max effort and Takes plays off. Which if a good D-line coach can get to him and coach that out of him he could be a straight monster. Cox might well be that coach that could do it but i will say this for a top 5 or 6 pick i don't like that a player has to be pushed and coached to want to be better. You should want to be the best and have the drive to be better than anyone else if your that type of talent.

As far as the if you can't get pressure it doesn't matter how good you are in coverage you tell that to Nolan who seems to love to drop his ends in coverage enough to be noticable. Abe done it, Kroy does it the most, and Osi + Mass done it this year.

Having a guy like Mack who is great at that for his position would for sure be a plus when called upon over a player like Clowney who isn't as adept to doing so at this point in his game.

It's weird that none of these concer s came out after 2012 when people said he should sit the season out and be the 1st overall this year. He got completely schemed around, that can happen in college. People got bored with him being the best so they invent story lines.

Nolan dropping ends in coverage is irrelevant , not sure what you're getting at there. Besides zone blitzes not being new, I'll repeat, no one can cover forever. I can't beleiev we''re even discusiing clowneys coverage skills, its just silly.
tech2186

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
Clowney > anyone else.

I didn't mean anything by it, I just thought it was funny that the Clowney hype has us all thinking he could be the greatest thing ever when there is most likely a DE in this draft who will be better than him. Thing is we just don't know if who that is.

mjmiller

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
FalconFan13 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
FalconFan13 wrote:

Mack
Clowney
Donald
Robinson

It's weird that none of these concer s came out after 2012 when people said he should sit the season out and be the 1st overall this year. He got completely schemed around, that can happen in college. People got bored with him being the best so they invent story lines.

Nolan dropping ends in coverage is irrelevant , not sure what you're getting at there. Besides zone blitzes not being new, I'll repeat, no one can cover forever. I can't beleiev we''re even discusiing clowneys coverage skills, its just silly.

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
DirtyBird4L

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgoldiscool wrote:
I won't pretend like I know all the facts about Clowney and at one point I didn't really want him, but if he's there you have to take him. His only real issue that has been brought up is that he doesn't play like a madman. If that is the only negative I will take it. Everyone in the NFL is there for a job, that means 52 other people are there to remind him that. College is much different than the pro's. If Clowney were playing a different position that wasn't a major need than I could see an argument for not drafting him. However he plays a position the Falcons haven't been able to find an answer for.

Mack being more versatile means nothing in the end. All the QB has to do is guide the play away from him. This team cannot hit the QB, cannot pressure the QB, hell this team can't even get within 5 yards of the QB.

Plus this team is feeling the absence of dreads after Julio (RIP Julios dreads) cut his off. Need more dreads.

This is a great post. Everyone should read the bold out loud. We haven't been able to pressure the QB in so long that it's completely overlooked sometimes. Our lines need to be the major focus throughout the entire offseason. Lets give Spoon, Worrilow and Bartu another year to gel and see what kind of production we can get from them as a unit.

DE is a massive need for us and has been for years. We keep replacing old ends with old ends and whiffing in FA. It's time to draft one of the best prospects in decades. As long as we keep our 2nd this year I have zero issues with trading up to get him. We're only moving up a few spots so I don't see that being a big issue as far as losing picks. I love Mack but you don't let Clowney get away when he is that close.
mjmiller

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hypothetical question here:

Clowney falls to us at 6 and Mack slips to say 15-20 range. would yall be willing to do a trade to get back into the first and grab Mack as well?
Lentz33

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
Clowney > anyone else.

I didn't mean anything by it, I just thought it was funny that the Clowney hype has us all thinking he could be the greatest thing ever when there is most likely a DE in this draft who will be better than him. Thing is we just don't know if who that is.

Umm... what? Why would there be a "most likely" chance that there is someone that's going to be better than the projected best? Wouldn't that mean he has the best chance at being the best? Also, Clowney is definitely the best DE in this draft. No question.

Adopt-a-Falcon: Matt Ryan - 76-111 68.4% 965 yards 7 TDs 3 INTs 105.2 QB Rating
tech2186

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lentz33 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
Clowney > anyone else.

Umm... what? Why would there be a "most likely" chance that there is someone that's going to be better than the projected best? Wouldn't that mean he has the best chance at being the best? Also, Clowney is definitely the best DE in this draft. No question.

The odds of Clowney being the "best" DE in the draft is quantifiable. Examine how many other DE's are in the draft and the odds are against him. That being said, he may beat those odds. Now whatever your defitition of "best" is subjective. I'm simply going with the math here. I think Clowney is one of the best DE prospects in the draft but to say he is the best DE in the draft is subjective. Not Fact.

GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
Lentz33 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
Clowney > anyone else.

The odds of Clowney being the "best" DE in the draft is quantifiable. Examine how many other DE's are in the draft and the odds are against him. That being said, he may beat those odds. Now whatever your defitition of "best" is subjective. I'm simply going with the math here. I think Clowney is one of the best DE prospects in the draft but to say he is the best DE in the draft is subjective. Not Fact.

Who is better than Clowney right now?

The odds are Clowney will be the best DE in this draft. IS there a chance hes not... of course? But hes still odds on favorite to be the best. And this is just a stupid point to bring up. It could be someones opinion that Brady Quinn is the best QB in the league, doesnt mean people should put salt into it.... just means one guy has a really stupid opinion.
tech2186

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
Lentz33 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
Clowney > anyone else.

Who is better than Clowney right now?

The odds are Clowney will be the best DE in this draft. IS there a chance hes not... of course? But hes still odds on favorite to be the best. And this is just a stupid point to bring up. It could be someones opinion that Brady Quinn is the best QB in the league, doesnt mean people should put salt into it.... just means one guy has a really stupid opinion.

How old are you? Do you know any other way to express yourself than calling other peoples' statements and opinions "stupid". The maturity level in here is really lacking. The only other thing lacking more than maturity in here is intelligence. Who are you to make judgment on how credible someone's opinion is? Please refrain from making any more asinine comments as you really show your ignorance.

And who is better than Clowney right now? Umm that question can't be answered as none of these prospects has played a down in the NFL. It is all speculation and grander at this point. Also, it depends on scheme, coaching and talent. All of those factors will depend on what DE will be the "best". So to make a blanket statement that Clowney is the "best" is irresponsible. Especially when he was not the best DE in his own college conference let alone the NCAA this year.

birdman70

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is moot. There's no way in God's green earth that Clowney ever falls to us, nor do I think there a chance anyone takes make before us.

Just the fact that Clowney ran that ungodly 40 time ensures that at least the Raiders would take him. I feel that Clowney is an A+ talent and Mack is an A. I really would love to have either of them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: