Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My mock offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Staackhouse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: My mock offseason Reply with quote

Cuts -
Miles Austin (June 1) - Sad to see him go, was a great Cowboy, but team must move on for salary cap reasons
Phil Costa - Not a bad player, but Cowboys should be able to find an equivalent backup center/guard for minimum salary. Costa was an undrafted FA, remember.
Justin Durant - Played well, but Wilber/Holloman combo can do just as well for less.
Kyle Orton (June 1) - This is a tough one. Orton is a good back-up, one of the best, but it might be time for a rookie to come in and get groomed. Its a leap of faith, but there are some significant savings to be had by doing so.
Corvey Irvin, Martez Wilson, Tyler Cutts - rookie FAs can do the same roster filling for less.

Trades -
DeMarcus Ware - I don't make this suggestion lightly - Ware is my favorite Cowboy. I even think he will come back close to form, but the cap savings for not only this year, but next are huge. With this move and the above, Dallas is almost $13.1M under for 2014 and $14.5M under for 2015. The partner for the trade that I would suggest is Jacksonville. I believe in Gus Bradley and think they can turn the ship around. They have the salary cap space to take on Ware, can then draft a QB early and still have a dynamic pass rusher for the defense to improve. Jax could even still take Clowney if he gets to #3 and form one scary pass rush tandem and get a vet like Vick to be a short term QB. Dallas makes the trade for Jacksonville's 3rd and 5th rd picks.

Free Agent Signings -

Henry Melton - The homecoming and reuniting with Marinelli along with free'd up cap space is enough to get the DT cornerstone for the Tampa-2. Dal signs Melton to a 4yr deal that can void and has some protection against any future DUI related suspensions. The figurs wind up being less than Melton was expecting at the start of FA last year, but he is still paid fairly handsomly.

Willie Young - Young is an under-rated pass rusher. His sack numbers aren't impressive, but his pressures are quite good for a player that did not have a full time role. Let the Marinelli factor take him to the level of a quality starter.

Ziggy Hood - Hood comes in to challenge for starting 1 tech spot. I liked how Hayden played last year, but he was brought in to be a backup. Hood has had poor numbers in PIT, but I am counting on the Marinelli factor again. Hood's numbers from when he was drafted show that he is an explosive talent. The one-gap attacking defense should suit him well. He is also a TX native and I am counting on that helping the draw.

Starting DL after FA from left to right is -- Selvie - Hood - Melton - Young

Draft Picks - On draft day, Dallas starts off with a 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 7, 7 , 7, 7c, and 7c. I've seen some projections say Dal will get 3 comp picks, but I'll stay a bit conservative. I think Dallas will move up in the middle of the draft a couple of times, they have a lot of picks this year, but can only put so many new players on the roster; better off getting some additional quality. After wheeling and dealing over the weekend --------->

1st (16) - Kony Ealy DE - Talented DE that comes in and has to work for a starting spot (that he will win). He won't put up Ware numbers, but should be a perenial 12-14 sack guy after some NFL coaching. He will also play at 280+ pounds after some time in an NFL weight room and provide better run defense than Ware (who was quite good at this for all the criticism he received)

2nd (4Cool - Dominique Easley DT - He play similar to Aaron Donald who I love in the first round, but comes with a round discount b/c of a knee injury. Easley needs some NFL weight room work to get a bit more stout at the point of attack, but he is a one gap penetrator and can even spend time at LDE on 1st and 2nd down. The DL now has a 2nd string line of Crawford - Hayden - Easley - Ealy(or Young once Ealy is the starter). This is probably about as good as what Dallas had for starters during some games last year.

3rd (70 from Jax) - Jimmie Ward S - listed as a SS in college, Ward has coverage skills of a CB in the slot. His addition could help the units flexibility against athletic TEs and spread offenses. He is on the short and light side and does not have a lot of experience covering single high from his college SS days and this drops him to the 3rd rd. If this does in fact happen, Dallas gets a very good football player

3rd (7Cool - Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB - I think Jean-Baptiste will not test extremely fluidly and will drop to the mid 3rd even though the Seahawk style CBs will be very much in vogue this year. SJB would be the 4th corner on the roster and have a year with mimimal defensive snaps, but provides a size element to the secondary for sub packages and the future.

4th (early 100's via trade of Jax 5th rd pick and Chi 7th rd pick) - Jon Halapio OG
- Halapio had a down year after a pectoral injury. He also needs some technique work, but he has tremendous natural ability and attitude. Halapio could push Bernardau in year 2 and provide depth right out of the gate.

4th (113ish) - Dante Moncrief WR
- Moncrief falls victim to being in a draft loaded with WR talent in a year where free agency had a lot of WR talent. Moncrief is not a burner, but never seems to get caught from behind on film. He'll need some coaching, but Dooley is good at that. Moncrief can fill in the #1 role if Bryant is hurt in the future and makes for a very potent receiving corps.

4th (late round) - Jordan Tripp LB
- Dallas trades its other 5th round pick and the seventh from Kansas City to get back in the 4th and grab Tripp. Tripp is a football player - period. He is a small school product, but should test well and just knows how to get to the football. He has the kind of LB intelligence that Sean Lee does and would have a season to learn the WLB position in case Carter is not retained next offseason.

7th (208ish) - Storm Johnson RB - Johnson comes in to fill the power back role. He basically directly takes the roster spot that is currently held by Phillip Tanner. If Antonio Andrews is still available, his talent would be taken instead despite his off-field issues. That being said, Johnson could be a good platoon back and has the work ethic to succeed on special teams coverage units.

7th (compensatory) - A QB - Candidates at this spot include Keith Wenning, Tom Savage, Logan Thomas, potentially Tajh Boyd (7th-FA ranking on CBSsports), Dustin Vaughan, Casey Pachall, and Keith Price. This is a developmental QB that would not be active on gamedays and learn from Romo and a stop-gap clipboard holder vet to be the backup next season.

7th (compensatory) - Tyler Campbell P
- Ole Miss punter, has a good leg and is learning to use the short irons. I like Chris Jones, but Campbell might be just as good and save a couple hundred grand in the process.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Staack. I like this offseason. Think it fills a lot of needs and its fairly realistic. I think my favorite acquisition was Willie Young. Really hope we can bring him in

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
young_gunner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think there is still a huge cap hit if you trade a player.
I Do like the Draft, addresses needs and at realistic positions!
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_gunner wrote:
i think there is still a huge cap hit if you trade a player

Not in Ware's case.

^^^mack
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

- I'm far from a fan of a CB in the top 3 rounds, but overall I'd be pretty happy with the draft. I'd probably not be the biggest fan of signing Melton for 4 years (depending on the deal) since I'd rather focus on keeping our own guys in the future. On a 1 or 2 year deal tho, I'd be all in for it.
Staackhouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a player is traded, the base salary comes off of the books, but all future (already earned) prorated bonuses come due. In Ware's case, there would be a pretty good cap savings still, but also some dead money. Trading a player is much like cutting w/out the June 1 designation.

Thank you for welcoming me to the board -- I only wish I knew about this for the last few seasons.
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice...I like it...FA and Draft make sense and could easily happen...no "Alice in Wonderland" stuff.

Welcome

Peace
Tony7188

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I like this draft and the explanations describe a scenario the Cowboys could very well be in. If the Boys did wind up with the Jaguars pick, I would rather them draft an OT in the 3rd round over a CB though. This would allow Dallas to cut Doug Free in 2015.

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
Staackhouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting an OT in the 3rd wouldn't be a bad choice at all, but not so the Cowboys could cut Doug Free next year -- This is his last year under contract. He was the 3rd best ROT last year per Bleacher Report rankings and will be missed when gone (or if his play slips again). I actually worry that Free will look to leave and not give DAL a chance to resign him after being strong armed into a pay cut last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: