Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Your Pet Cats for Dallas' Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
Point is, we have a team chock full of beasts and playmakers. What we do not have is a system that they fit into that is best for the team.

We do? Who? Here are our "beasts" and "playmakers" I can think of:

Dez Bryant
Sean Lee (but can't make plays if never on the field)
Tyron Smith

Those are the only beasts we have on this football team. People need to quit overrating this team's talent. This team needs talent first and foremost. Whether that be at WR, DL, LB, or OL. I think this team needs to be going BPA in the 1st round at every single position minus Tight End and Cornerback.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
buddy_z34

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
Point is, we have a team chock full of beasts and playmakers. What we do not have is a system that they fit into that is best for the team.

Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith

Those are the only beasts we have on this football team. People need to quit overrating this team's talent. This team needs talent first and foremost. Whether that be at WR, DL, LB, or OL. I think this team needs to be going BPA in the 1st round at every single position minus Tight End and Cornerback.

Romo and Murray say hi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy_z34 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith

Romo and Murray say hi

Murray is not a "beast" by any stretch of the imagination. He is an average running back who will not be retained after his rookie contract and will be replaced by another rookie.

Romo does make a lot of plays. He is the only other player I could put into that group. But, I'm not sure how he will come back from this surgery. Back problems scare the ish out of me.

CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add Bryn Renner as one of my late round pet cats. I just like the guy. Really hope Dallas takes a 5th round flyer on him.

Staackhouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have enough draft pet cats to be the crazy cat lady of the draft. An early and later round target at positions of need.

DT - Dominique Easley and Kerry Hyder. Both are quick penetrating 3techs, Easley may be just as disruptive as Donald, but would come at about a round discount b/c of a knee injury

DE - DeMarcus Lawrence and Denico Autry. Lawrence is a tweener that plays with so much strenght, speed and leverage. I think he could be a terror in an attacking defense. Autry is pure triangle numbers. He should have produced a lot more -- maybe DL guru Rod could make something out of him.

LB - Christian Jones and Jordan Tripp. Jones has been mentioned in this thread a lot. Tripp is a WLB version of Sean Lee (poor man's version) based on the film I've seen....minus an injury history.

S - Jimmie Ward and Dezman Southward - a pair of guys that both showed CB skills at the senior bowl and deliver solid hits from the deep half.

WR - Donte Moncrief and Jeff Janis - Moncrief just made some noise at the combine (in a good way) and may not be available as late as I had hoped. Janis did as well, but is a small school guy that needs coaching on how to put his measurables to work.

OG - Jon Halapio - this guy is a mauler that is mobile, but needs quite a bit of technique refinement...smooth the edges and you have a very good interior OL.

RB - Isaiah Crowell - was just described as " Strictly in terms of talent, Crowell is the best running back in the 2014 class" on Rotoworld. Character issues, though.

....I could go on, but......
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith

Romo and Murray say hi

Murray is not a "beast" by any stretch of the imagination. He is an average running back who will not be retained after his rookie contract and will be replaced by another rookie.

Romo does make a lot of plays. He is the only other player I could put into that group. But, I'm not sure how he will come back from this surgery. Back problems scare the ish out of me.

The guy ran for 1124yds with an average of 5.2ypc, and caught 50 balls. Sorry, that's not average. The only knocks against Murray have been his health, and the fact that RB's come cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Morris, LB, Iowa - ran a 4.80

At only 6'1 but 241 pounds, Morris doesn't look the part of a coverage-capable linebacker. But he showed during his time at Iowa that he has the ability to hold a zone well. And his time at the combine has boosted my opinion of him.

In drills he performed very well, showing good hips and the ability to adjust quickly. He changes directions extremely well and has a very quick burst towards the football. He has a steady yet sloppy backpedal that could use work to make it more effectient, and he isn't too fast over the long haul, lacking that overall sideline to sideline ability. But he also showed some good hands by catching not one but two bad passes in the coverage coverage drills.

He's got the makings of a very good fit for a zone coverage oriented defense like the one in Dallas, with the hips, closing burst and ball instincts to lock down an inside or outside zone. He could be a good addition to this defense's nickel package as soon as this year.

He's also shown he is more than capable vs the run, with over 200 career tackles at Iowa. He played as a true freshman and has become a leader, a hard worker and played with a veteran's swagger this last season.

Yet he's ranked as the 15th best LB, slated in the mid draft round area. Not quite sure what. Gotta be the speed issue. But if he's playing in a zone defense, his speed really won't matter - only how well he closes over a short distance, which he does well.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:

At only 6'1 but 241 pounds, Morris doesn't look the part of a coverage-capable linebacker. But he showed during his time at Iowa that he has the ability to hold a zone well. And his time at the combine has boosted my opinion of him.

In drills he performed very well, showing good hips and the ability to adjust quickly. He changes directions extremely well and has a very quick burst towards the football. He has a steady yet sloppy backpedal that could use work to make it more effectient, and he isn't too fast over the long haul, lacking that overall sideline to sideline ability. But he also showed some good hands by catching not one but two bad passes in the coverage coverage drills.

He's got the makings of a very good fit for a zone coverage oriented defense like the one in Dallas, with the hips, closing burst and ball instincts to lock down an inside or outside zone. He could be a good addition to this defense's nickel package as soon as this year.

He's also shown he is more than capable vs the run, with over 200 career tackles at Iowa. He played as a true freshman and has become a leader, a hard worker and played with a veteran's swagger this last season.

Yet he's ranked as the 15th best LB, slated in the mid draft round area. Not quite sure what. Gotta be the speed issue. But if he's playing in a zone defense, his speed really won't matter - only how well he closes over a short distance, which he does well.

Spot on assessment. Will add to it, that Morris was very effective when called on to blitz.

Bob Sturm wrote:
If you expect me to stop rooting against Philadelphia, their fans, or their football team, then lower your expectations. It won't happen.
muncy54

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Donald (DUH)
Gabe Jackson just love the guy I think he pops
Trey Millard versatile and I love it
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith

Romo and Murray say hi

The guy ran for 1124yds with an average of 5.2ypc, and caught 50 balls. Sorry, that's not average. The only knocks against Murray have been his health, and the fact that RB's come cheap.

1,124 yards is very average. Dallas could find another running back to run for 1100 yards and catch 50 balls in the 3rd round in any other draft. I'm sorry, I just don't know why so many on this forum think he is so special. He's a serviceable running back who is basically guaranteed to miss games every year and will be replaced next year.

Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith

Romo and Murray say hi

1,124 yards is very average. Dallas could find another running back to run for 1100 yards and catch 50 balls in the 3rd round in any other draft. I'm sorry, I just don't know why so many on this forum think he is so special. He's a serviceable running back who is basically guaranteed to miss games every year and will be replaced next year.

He ran for 1100 behind a line that struggled to open lanes, and while missing 3 or 4 games, and getting limited carries in way too many games. That is pretty good - explosive, no, great...no. Good, yeah.

Problem is, he is inconsistent. His footwork is sloppy, his vision is questionable, he doesn't always run with 'finish', and his explosiveness is average.

Overall he's a good runner in a wide angle zone system like we run, but guys like him are fairly common. He's nothing to brag about, but he's not a slouch either. Glad we have him, but I'm not worried if we don't resign him either.

Read the Football FAQ!
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:

Spot on assessment. Will add to it, that Morris was very effective when called on to blitz.

Yeah, his ability to close a gap quickly - that short term burst and quick adjustments due to superb hip movement are very similar abilities that you look for in a pass rusher, making him a worthwhile option as a blitzer as well.

The biggest knock on Morris is his lack of overall speed, and as an inside backer you want him to be able to track down runners. If he can't catch them and is easily beaten to the outside, teams will isolate him and run right at him. But we would not have need of him inside, and could limit him to one side of the field by playing him at the SAM or WILL spot's effectively removing him from a situation where he will have to do something where his physical limitations might make him a liability.

Read the Football FAQ!
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith

Romo and Murray say hi

If its so easy to find, why was he our first 1000 yard back since Jones?

Obviously we were going RB by committee, but if we had a RB who could handle a 270 carry per year load, we would have used him

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith

Romo and Murray say hi

Obviously we were going RB by committee, but if we had a RB who could handle a 270 carry per year load, we would have used him

Because he is the first starting running back in a while who wasn't splitting the workload every week.

Jones has barber taking a lot of snaps from him, then Barber had Jones taking a lot of snaps from him. They each would run for 500+ however, and in total, achieve 1000+. The dual threat worked pretty well, and we had a ground game that wasn't nearly as bad as it has been the last couple seasons.

1100 yards is nothing special.

And Barber was supposed to be able to handle a heavy work load. Julius Jones, too. Felix Jones as well. All had a chance to do so, it isn't like we just decided they couldn't and went with a two runner approach.

And Murray still didn't exactly light it up despite being the first featured runner on this team in a while. 5.2 YPC, sure. But it's easy to average more per carry when you have fewer carries: Ask Troy Hambrick, who averaged something like 5.6 per carry before we gave him a 20 carry per week workload minimum - then he dropped to like 3.2 a carry.

Don't let the stats mislead you. Murray is no stud, and he is quite replaceable. Guys like him, who can run well from time to time in a zone run play design, are all over the league and found in late rounds very frequently.

Read the Football FAQ!
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith

Romo and Murray say hi

Because he is the first starting running back in a while who wasn't splitting the workload every week.

Jones has barber taking a lot of snaps from him, then Barber had Jones taking a lot of snaps from him. They each would run for 500+ however, and in total, achieve 1000+. The dual threat worked pretty well, and we had a ground game that wasn't nearly as bad as it has been the last couple seasons.

1100 yards is nothing special.

And Barber was supposed to be able to handle a heavy work load. Julius Jones, too. Felix Jones as well. All had a chance to do so, it isn't like we just decided they couldn't and went with a two runner approach.

And Murray still didn't exactly light it up despite being the first featured runner on this team in a while. 5.2 YPC, sure. But it's easy to average more per carry when you have fewer carries: Ask Troy Hambrick, who averaged something like 5.6 per carry before we gave him a 20 carry per week workload minimum - then he dropped to like 3.2 a carry.

Don't let the stats mislead you. Murray is no stud, and he is quite replaceable. Guys like him, who can run well from time to time in a zone run play design, are all over the league and found in late rounds very frequently.

All I am saying is we have struggled to find a good back, so obviously its not as easy as some would think. We haven't even found a backup we like yet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: