Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

23 known interviews at combine, Colbert on Vince Williams
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcm412

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:
Btw, I call Colbert blowing smoke on the ILB spot...if Williams was progressing so well they wouldn't have had Troy playing ILB almost 50% of the snaps the last half of the season.

Covering bases...that's all it is folks.

Maybe, but VW is a thumper. Perhaps Troy was in there for the times when the scheme called for coverage from the ILB. Again, maybe.

This. The Steelers were in sub packages 60% of defensive snaps this year. V.Williams didn't play passing downs in college as well. He is a 2 down thumper. I'm am pretty sure if it were Foote or someone else they would have come out as well.
treat88

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams isn't a finished product, for sure, but I'm not sure he even qualifies as a 2 down thumper yet. Either from the 2 down or thumper perspectives.

For all the Mclendon talk, Williams was a huge part of the interior run defenses woes. He was routinely out of position and handled leaving running lanes open.

The sub package issue is why I wouldn't spend a premium pick on an ILB. Whoever is in the spot simply won't see enough snaps, so long as Timmons is healthy and a Steeler, to justify the expense of an early pick. That said, Williams is imminently upgradeable unless he puts in his share of time plus some this off season.

I'm not dogging him too much, he was a rook, I get the struggles but Williams didn't show enough to make me think he's growing into the role and performing competently in 2014. He's still a ways away unless something changes markedly.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with Williams was between the ears, not physical. He did get better as the year went on, and he showed a few times that he can, in fact, lay the 'thump' on people at the professional level. The question is whether he has the instincts and ability to master the defense. You aren't meant to start year 1 in Lebeau's defense; especially not at ILB.

As for whether a high draft pick would see the field, I don't see why not. If you took a guy like Van Noy, or a guy who added something to the game in that dimension, you find ways to keep them on the field in passing situations. You take DL off the field or maybe don't use as many DB's. You spell out guys in different situations.

I don't see the 49ers having any issue keeping Bowman and Willis on the field for 3 downs. The way Polamalu was used last year was not ideal.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 known interviews at combine, and Colbert on Vince Will Reply with quote

32houchen32 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:
Steelers have used 3 of their 60 interviews at least at this point. They are:
1. Kelvin Benjamin, WR
2. Donte Moncrief, WR
3. Ka'Deem Carey, RB

Two of them are definitely off the board in R2. Moncrief has a change to greatly improve his draft stock at the Combine. I expect him to have a very good showing.

Benjamin officially came in at 6'5, 240. Will be interesting to see how he runs. He's the same size as Ebron. Little taller, little lighter.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/02/report-steelers-to-meet-with-mississippi-wr-donte-moncrief-at-combine/
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/02/report-steelers-met-with-arizona-rb-kadeem-carey-at-the-combine/

In another interview, Colbert talked about how a fwe guys cycled through that ILB spot, but Williams really 'solidified' it and showed he could handle the communication inside. They look for him to take another stride this year. Not a huge statement, but interesting.

So I guess that means ILB wont be a target early....especially since they are apparently hopeful for Sean Spence playing this year as well...even though I am not.

43, I know this has been talked about numerous times, but what's the negative stuff on spence, besides his knee now. I'm not saying your wrong by any means. Is it because he is unproven and undersized?

Its not secret that I was never a huge fan of the Spence PICK. I am a fan of his....very instinctual player, good read/react guy, solid in coverage....but yes, I think he is undersized for our D. No, size isnt everything (at least thats what keth told me *awkward pause*), but he has a small-ish frame and struggled with leverage in college. Still, as I said, while I didnt like him as a prospect for LeBeau's D, I became a fan as soon as the draft ended.

HOWEVER, my comment was only in reference to his knee and how he is healing. I dont have confidence he will ever be back to what he was. He may be able to play, but I think he will definitely lose a step, and given his skillset and size, he needs that step.

Hope I am dead wrong. Hope he comes out and LeVeon Bell's me. Wink
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers met with UNC DE Kareem Martin.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/02/steelers-met-with-north-carolina-de-kareem-martin-at-nfl-combine/

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting guy who could play 5 tech or stand-up.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:
Btw, I call Colbert blowing smoke on the ILB spot...if Williams was progressing so well they wouldn't have had Troy playing ILB almost 50% of the snaps the last half of the season.

Covering bases...that's all it is folks.

Maybe, but VW is a thumper. Perhaps Troy was in there for the times when the scheme called for coverage from the ILB. Again, maybe.

This. The Steelers were in sub packages 60% of defensive snaps this year. V.Williams didn't play passing downs in college as well. He is a 2 down thumper. I'm am pretty sure if it were Foote or someone else they would have come out as well.

Vince Williams didn't play passing downs because Telvin Smith was a safety that was being groomed to play LB. He was very capable of playing those downs and did so well when left to it. Florida States roster is filled with pro football athletes and then some, not the same knock on resume as it is on most other teams. Perspective.

...you have a forum resume?
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wexell saying Louis Nix met Tomlin last night and Justin Gilbert is meeting with him tonight.

Swore I saw Hageman is supposed to met with Steelers as well but can't find that as of now.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wexell mentioned Hageman. Claimed Steelers haven't shown much interest in NT's and ILB's through the interview process. Focused on DE's.

So far, I have 10 interviews the Steelers have conducted. Added the WR prospects Colbert said he liked at the Senior Bowl, as well, to the first post.
jcm412

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wexell has Terrence Brooks too as interviewing with Steelers.
jcm412

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
Wexell has Terrence Brooks too as interviewing with Steelers.

Taylor Hart too.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This WR class as a whole are putting up ridiculous numbers and reaffirming how deep it is. No matter what you want (outside like Calvin Johnson), there's a guy with that skillset. Probably multiple.

It's going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out on a draft day.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers met with Jordan Zumwalt.
jcm412

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wexell on twitter Haha Clinton Dix will meet tonight.
waffles7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they meet with Jean-Baptiste, Desir, Fuller, Martavis Bryant, Benjamin, Dri Archer (I attend Kent State), Mosely, Van Noy, Dennard, and a guy from my hometown of Lorain Anthony Hitchens.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: