Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steve Smith a potential cap casualty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iknowcool

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongue-Splitter wrote:
You guys really aren't that bad off at receiver.

We don't have a wide receiver signed onto the roster outside of Steve Smith and I'm not going to count those PS/inactive every week guys.
fraziafraze07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2014/2/23/5439462/the-unpopular-reality-on-steve-smith-the-past-and-present-versus-the

The harsh reality.

Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
HighPointNCKid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think our GM is gonna cut the FRANCHISE WR with the bums we have on our roster, you are all drunk. Steve Smith's play has declined, but his play "fell off a cliff?" Come on dude! Rolling Eyes Brandon Lafell is flat out awful and cant be counted on! I hope he walks, I pray he walks. I pray we re-sign Ted Ginn and go after a free agent WR. Smitty got doubled teamed all year, hit hard, held, pass interfered and while he had some drops he also made more plays than any other WR on the roster. Having said that, I blame Smitty for setting the tone or lack thereof with the drop against Arizona so he doesnt get a complete pass. But, for anyone to say that they want him to leave? Well thats down right dumb! While you are entitled to your opinion, you're wrong and I hate you! Very Happy
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighPointNCKid wrote:
Smitty got doubled teamed all year, hit hard, held, pass interfered and while he had some drops he also made more plays than any other WR on the roster.

Uhh, no. This is not Steve Smith circa 2005. Hell, this isn't even Steve Smith 2011. No team is game planning their defense to stop Steve anymore. And if they did, they must have all found the solution seeing as he didn't break 70 yards receiving all year. And Blaming LaFell is BS, if you are also going to praise how good you think Ted Ginn is one sentence later.

I'm sure most of us, including me, want Steve to retire a Panther, but if he refuses to take a pay cut, then he is simply not worth 7/12 million per year.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
Smitty89

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can guarantee you Steve Smith stays a Panther and retires a Panther. He is very close with Jerry Richardson, has always been the heart of the Carolina Panthers, he knows he isn't worth $7 million anymore and he will take a pay cut. He has stayed with the Panthers during the darkest days when he didn't have to, they won't throw him to the curb when they're finally a good football team again and as close to a Super Bowl as we have ever been. The Panthers owe him that. He is the veteran this team needs in the locker room, we need Steve Smith if we want to win a Super Bowl. Not because of his play but because he is the emotional leader and elevates everybodies play around him. Steve Smith is a family man, he has repeatedly said in the recent past Carolina is his families home. His kids are in school here. Hell he would take a pay cut just so he doesn't have to either relocate or be away from his family.

Steve Smith will play 2-3 more seasons and retire a Panther. Then there will be a Smitty statue out front of BOA stadium
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivera doesn't think so.

Quote:
"We're going through our process, and Steve is a part of what we're doing going forward," Rivera said. "How big of an impact he's going to have for us, that's going to be determined as we go through the draft process and through free agency. We'll see.

"It's all about the evaluations. We have to look through everything. There's a lot of scenarios that we're putting together as a football team. But Steve's part of who we are, and we'll go from there."

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Receiver-depth-catches-Riveras-eye/07353844-1976-4ade-8dc2-b232027090be

Thanks CK
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By taking a couple of WRs in the first 2-3 rounds, it may send a message to Smitty to restructure. They did the same thing when they drafted Kenjon Barner in the 5th round last year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cutting smitty never crossed my mind but the more I read about it the more sense it does make. his play has def deteriorated as he is now a better slot wr but he is being paid #1 money. Hopefully he takes the pay cut and retires a panther but his production doesn't match his pay anymore

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
SmittySmurf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The city of racist Charlotte-teens must be rejoicing in the streets. They've been trying to run Smitty out of town since the fight. Cam will be next. Most don't even watch or support the Panthers, but they still have their opinions.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zithers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitty's not getting cut. say what you want about his numbers, but he's still an important player to the team. look at the rams game. without him, we probably don't win because we don't have a **** talker to rile those guys up and commit all those penalties/get chris long ejected.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmittySmurf wrote:
The city of racist Charlotte-teens must be rejoicing in the streets. They've been trying to run Smitty out of town since the fight. Cam will be next. Most don't even watch or support the Panthers, but they still have their opinions.

Racist? Really?

The NFL is 70% one race... and guess what, the player that replaces smitty will probably be the same race.

The only color this has anything to do with is green... money for production.

Guess I know who's opintion to ignore moving forward.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
smitty's not getting cut. say what you want about his numbers, but he's still an important player to the team. look at the rams game. without him, we probably don't win because we don't have a **** talker to rile those guys up and commit all those penalties/get chris long ejected.

That was a solid game from him but what about the other numerous games where he was ineffective?

Do you think he is worth the $10 million or so we would have to pay him in 2015 if we don't release him now? This is a business and you have to think ahead, not short-term (like Hurney did countless times). Smith has to be cut if he doesn't agree to a substantial pay-cut or do what Gross did and play out this season with his contract voiding before 2015.
boondock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop the race talk. We are not here to discuss it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon further review, I guess Smitty is now a little hurt about Gettleman's comments of his career in the past tense. It could be the writing on the wall? Which sucks added with Gross retiring. Crying or Very sad
boondock

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighPointNCKid wrote:
Upon further review, I guess Smitty is now a little hurt about Gettleman's comments of his career in the past tense. It could be the writing on the wall? Which sucks added with Gross retiring. Crying or Very sad

It does suck, but it has to happen sooner or later. For many years, a lot of us have said we need to find a way to be offensively productive without Smitty because one day, he may not be here any more.

I remember when he signed this last contract; there was discussion that he may have retired then. The retirement story has been brought up every year since he signed this last contract though Smitty does not seem like the guy to up and walk away from the sport.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: