Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jim Harbaugh or Trent Baalke? If you have to pick one
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jim Harbaugh or Trent Baalke?
Jim Harbaugh
68%
 68%  [ 34 ]
Trent Baalke
32%
 32%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 50

49ers Finest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Jim Harbaugh or Trent Baalke? If you have to pick one Reply with quote

So with this rumor. Maybe we can assume that the two do have a power struggle. So if you had to chose one, who is it

Trent has had some success in the draft and free agency. Huge draft in 2011. Worst I've seen in 2012. And who know about 13

Jim has had success pretty much everywhere he's gone. Helped make Alex a good qb. Helped kap from a gimmick college qb to a good nfl qb. Tunes the team around year 1. And has kept us as serious contenders for the Lombardi

new sig... sorry alex
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to keep BOTH, but give me Harbaugh. We need both of them though. I wouldn't feel very comfortable if Harbaugh had most of the control as Belichick does in NE.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 2m
Tense at times. Cut from same cloth. But they ultimately are good for each other... @BSWest5 your take on the Harbaugh/Baalke relationship?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to pick one, it'd be Harbaugh. Baalke and I don't always see eye to eye during the drafting of prospects, though I do love his approach to free agency and trades. So long as we aren't giving Harbaugh full personnel power (not a fan of the HC/GM role) I'd pick him. It'd be tough though. They are both one of the best at what they do.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Harbaugh or Trent Baalke? If you have to pick one Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
So with this rumor. Maybe we can assume that the two do have a power struggle. So if you had to chose one, who is it

Trent has had some success in the draft and free agency. Huge draft in 2011. Worst I've seen in 2012. And who know about 13

Jim has had success pretty much everywhere he's gone. Helped make Alex a good qb. Helped kap from a gimmick college qb to a good nfl qb. Tunes the team around year 1. And has kept us as serious contenders for the Lombardi

Success? Yes. But we need to remember he's had a long history of being "almost good enough ... but not quite". Could be there's something in his formula that allows him to build really good teams, but not really great teams.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Harbaugh or Trent Baalke? If you have to pick one Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

Success? Yes. But we need to remember he's had a long history of being "almost good enough ... but not quite". Could be there's something in his formula that allows him to build really good teams, but not really great teams.

He's only been a HC for 11 years, and he took over several rebuilding projects. No guarantee he will win, but he's been close enough that i feel he will get one relatively soon.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Harbaugh or Trent Baalke? If you have to pick one Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

He's only been a HC for 11 years, and he took over several rebuilding projects. No guarantee he will win, but he's been close enough that i feel he will get one relatively soon.

Could well happen. But certainly not clear that it is inevitable. He is incredibly conservative as a coach and has a simplistic offense that is easy to defend. I would predict a coach like that to have good teams that win a lot of games but struggle when they play the very best teams. That's exactly what we've seen from him so far.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbaugh was potentially one play from winning it all last year, and another play away this year from getting to the big dance. This isn't about being almost good enough to win, it is not getting the one break you need. He's turned around three different teams and unquestionably one of the best football minds in the world.

Quote:
Scott Kacsmar @FO_ScottKacsmar
Jim Harbaugh's lost 2 NFC-C & 1 SB by a combined 12 points. Not paying him top dollar because he hasn't won a SB is really stupid. #49ers

I agree with this, BUT what happens if we win a Super Bowl next year? Will he want another pay raise?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only side with Baalke in this scenario if he could land us Gruden. I think Gruden would salivate at the thought of getting his hands on this roster.
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrush wrote:
I would only side with Baalke in this scenario if he could land us Gruden. I think Gruden would salivate at the thought of getting his hands on this roster.

Gruden's so unbelievably overrated at this point, it's scary. He hasn't coached in what, 6 years? Completely different NFL now; I don't see why everyone wants him, especially with what he would cost. He had a lot of flaws as a coach that people seem to forget. Not saying he wasn't a good coach, obviously he was, but he's riding the overrated train hard.

rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
SFrush wrote:

Gruden's so unbelievably overrated at this point, it's scary. He hasn't coached in what, 6 years? Completely different NFL now; I don't see why everyone wants him, especially with what he would cost. He had a lot of flaws as a coach that people seem to forget. Not saying he wasn't a good coach, obviously he was, but he's riding the overrated train hard.

When I look at a head coach, you mostly want two things: A) a man for whom the players will want to play; B) a man who will be able to hire a great staff. I don't care how good Gruden is with Xs and Os or clock management. If he can do A) and B), he's worth a lot of money, no matter how long he's been on TV rather than on the sidelines.

If Jim leaves, let's replace him with another Jim, Tomsula. I'm sure he'll have the players working hard for him, no doubt. If he can retain the good ones we have on staff right now, and add afew more, I'm sure we wouldn't miss too much of a step. And by the time Harbaugh leaves, maybe Roman will be gone too, so that counts for something. During his only career head coached game, Tomsula had a good attack. Alex (pre-Harbaugh, might I add) threw for 276 yards and 2 TDs!!

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
SFrush

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
SFrush wrote:

Everyone wants him because he's a very good coach. Realistically who's a significant upgrade you would pass over Gruden for?
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrush wrote:
Forge wrote:
SFrush wrote:

Everyone wants him because he's a very good coach. Realistically who's a significant upgrade you would pass over Gruden for?

You can't answer that because you don't know what an "upgrade" would be on Gruden. Gruden could come in and absolutely flop; other coaches have done it before. Carroll didn't do great his first couple of stints through the NFL. Belichek failed once. Nick Saban was a disaster in Miami.

Gruden was never really great at building a team; he won the super bowl with a team that was mainly built by Tony Dungy. Out of his 11 years as a head coach, he had 4 good seasons; otherwise he was 9-7, 8-8 or worse. For an offensive genius and supposed quarterback guru, his offense finished in the top 10 in points scored 3 times in 11 seasons. The rest of the time? Couldn't even finish in the top half of the league (his highest was 18th). He had a beastly defense in Tampa his first two years, but again, you could argue that this was Dungy and Lovie; the players were already in place. The defense regressed every year he was there until his second to last season when they had one last hurrah before regressing badly his final year.

I'm with Rudy in that if we were to lose Jim, I'd probably go with Tomsula. I'd put feelers out on David Shaw at Stanford, Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern, maybe even Bob Stoops at Oklahoma. I'd consider Darrell Bevell in Seattle, Adam Gase, and maybe even Pete Carmichael. There are a lot of guys I'd take a look at; I'm just largely unimpressed with Gruden overall. I don't think what he actually did justifies the hype he gets.

SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Harbaugh or Trent Baalke? If you have to pick one Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

Could well happen. But certainly not clear that it is inevitable. He is incredibly conservative as a coach and has a simplistic offense that is easy to defend. I would predict a coach like that to have good teams that win a lot of games but struggle when they play the very best teams. That's exactly what we've seen from him so far.

He can get conservative at times, but I wouldn't call him incredibly conservative. I do think that he has a knack for over thinking things, which has cost us games.

To the original post. I would keep Harbaugh. Just seeing how terrible our coaches have been since Mooch, I don't want to see him leave.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be alright with Tomsula as our next HC if Harbaugh walks, but I'm not sure that will actually happen. I remember the team being interested in Josh McDaniels during that off-season we were courting Jim. Eric Mangini could be a guy who would interview as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: