Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top 10 prospects at Saints positions of need (Pre combine)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krewebrees

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Top 10 prospects at Saints positions of need (Pre combine) Reply with quote

First off let me say I wanted to do more than just our positions of need, but I haven't had much time. So, here is a list of what I feel are our top two needs: WR and DBs.

WR
1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson

Inarguably the best WR in the draft. To put it simply he has everything you want in a wide receiver size, speed, range, hands, physicality. In my opinion there is a larger gap between the 1st and 2nd receiver than the 2nd and 10th. I would actually be happy with trading up to get him.

2. Jarvis Landry, LSU

First of all let me clarify one thing about this list. This is a ranking for the Saints and what type of player they need and I feel Landry is a perfect fit. He has impossibly amazing hands (the best hands in the draft). And we've lacked physicality at the WR position for a while and this is what Landry brings. Landry not only can get separation and move the chains, but could make a impact on SP as well. Great pick at 27.

3. Mike Evans, Texas A&M

A great player, but his physicality is overstated. He's great at attacking the ball in the air and winning jump balls, but isn't physical at the LOS and doesn't get separation. I see him as a poor mans Jimmy Graham. If we can't resign Graham and if Evans falls to 27, he would be a great pick at 27.

4. Odell Beckham Jr, LSU

His return ability is next level and the Saints could really use a returner that can get more than 20 yards on a kick off. Where his SP play is what really impresses me, he does offer a lot at WR too. He's quick, explosive, shifty, and has great hands. Would be a nice pick at 27.

5. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State

I'm interested to see what 40 time he gets at the combine. Regardless this guy plays Fast and has great vision and awareness. What really intrigues me is his versatility. He's great taking handoffs and running screens and reverses. Sproles replacement? Even if not still a guy a wouldn't mind taking in the 1st round.

6. Marquise Lee, USC

He is already playing like a pro. Lee has crisp route running, great awareness, and quickness. He's also a good returner too. Where Lee doesn't have great speed he still can beat DBs with his elusiveness. Definitely a player worthy of a 1st round pick.

7. Jordan Mathews, Vanderbilt

Mathews isn't the biggest or fastest guy on this list, but he makes up for it with his drive and toughness. He's simply doesn't quit. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 guys to take him down, a little reminiscent of Deuce Mcallister. What Mathews also impresses with is his patience both in his route running and with the ball in his hand. I feel 27 is too high for him, but would love him in the 2nd.

8. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State

The reason Benjamin is this low is the same reason Landry is so high. This list is specific for the Saints and the type of player they need. Benjamin has big boom or bust potential. My problems with him is that he has no physicality and only seems to get open against zone defenses and on the goal line, and that's just because of his massive size. Sound familiar? Where Benjamin has the potential to be top 3 in this draft class I see him as a luxury pick. A luxury we don't have at the WR position this year. If he's still available in the 2nd we'd be stupid not to take him, but I'm passing in the 1st.

9. Davante Adams, Fresno State

This guy makes catching the ball look easy. He'll even get contested reception with ease. He plays big and physical and I feel has the potential to be our number one receiver. He'd make a great 2nd round pick.

10. Allen Robinson, Penn State

Robinson is the type of player that will lay out for the ball, something Graham needs to learn how to do. On top of that he has great lateral movement, not something you necessarily look for in a WR, but it gets him yards after the catch. He could use some work on his middle routes, but is a beast when thrown to on the sideline. Great 2nd round pick.

DB
1. Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State

Pick machine and he knows what to do with the ball once he gets it. He's a good hitter for a CB, but he definitely grabs your attention with his turnovers most of which I have no clue how he evens sees. Likely won't be available with the 27 pick, but would be a steal we couldn't pass on if he was.

2. Deone Bucannon, Washington State

I've heard him called arguably the hardest hitting DB in college football. To me that's his least impressive skill. He is great in coverage and the closest thing to a ball hawk at safety this draft class has to offer. I'm going crazy at the though of Bucannon, Vaccaro, and Bush at safety. Most people have him as a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I wouldn't hesitate to take him at 27.

3. Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State

A versatile CB, S player is the ideal fit in Rob Ryan's defense. It gives Ryan the options to run his 3 S looks, or go more conventional with a 3 CB look. Wherever Joyner is lined up he'll make plays. He is probably the best DB in this class at getting return yards after a pick. Great 1st round pick.

4. Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State

Everyone is looking for tall CBs now. This is something Ryan has wanted in his CBs. Now Gilbert isn't that tall, but he plays longs. He has great length when breaking up or even picking deep and jump balls. His ability as a returner can't go unnoticed either. Where is isn't at the level of Beckham, he will provide an instant upgrade at our return positions. Another great 1st round pick.

5. Ahmad Dixon, Baylor

He doesn't create many big plays, but doesn't allow many either. He's good in coverage, with the ball constantly ending up on the ground and can offer something as a blitzer. The only reason I don't love him as a 1st round pick is because Bucannon will almost certainly still be available at 27.

6. Jason Verrett, TCU

Similar to Dixon, he doesn't make to many plays, but doesn't allow many either. Verrett is a physical CB that can press and stay with his guy like glue. His only flaws are his lack of turnovers and height. If Ryan is set on a CB and the top two are gone he would be a good 1st round pick.

7. Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech

Fuller's instincts and anticipation are what makes him great. He jumps routes like he's the receiver instead of the CB. I don't necessarily see him as a 1st round pick, but would consider him a steal in the 2nd as late as our pick is.

8. Calvin Pryor, Louisville

I know this isn't going to be popular that he's this low, but remember this is specific to our team. Pryor is extremely physical and constantly punches the ball out. However I don't see that as the type of player we need. We already have Vaccaro and Bush(assuming we resign him) what I want for a safety is more of a ball hawk type. I have no doubt Pryor will be a 1st round pick, but I just not crazy about him for the Saints.

9. Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix, Alabama

Very similar to Pryor here. Extremely physical just not the type of player I want. I'm satisfied with Bush and Vaccaro's physicality. Ha'Sean is good in coverage just not great. Again a 1st round player just not for us.

10. Bradley Roby, Ohio State

Where Roby doesn't have great coverage skills, he is one of the most physical CBs in college football, which isn't easy to teach. He typical "allows" the catch then hits the receiver so hard he drops the ball. Roby can also make an impact for us on special teams too. He's not perfect now, but does have a high ceiling. I like him as a 2nd round pick if the others aren't available.
Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purifoy not making the DB list? Tsk tsk

RTR
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
unfsaint

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good list. Purifoy would be on my list...but as a guy who watches a ton of UF living in North Florida...he is overrated. I agree that Pryor isn't a good fit. I have a very similar listing of WRs. I agree that Landry is a stud and may outside of Hopkins is the best WR in the draft. I like Evans as well...but I want a guy who can run the entire route tree. I like Beckham as well but he is not near as good of a receiver at this point as Landry. He does close the gap some with the ability to return kicks.

My two favorite most realistic Saints picks are: Jarvis Landry and Lamarcus Joyner.

~Sir William Osler
FLOODx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landry 10 1/4" hands Shocked

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
unfsaint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...Landry really fell flat on his face. 5'11"? ouch. He had to be injured going into the combine. The 40 time was bad...but the vert was even worse. He may be a 3rd day pick now. I would still get him though.

~Sir William Osler
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfsaint wrote:
Wow...Landry really fell flat on his face. 5'11"? ouch. He had to be injured going into the combine. The 40 time was bad...but the vert was even worse. He may be a 3rd day pick now. I would still get him though.

I wouldn't touch him until the 5th or 6th. Those numbers are beyond bad.

RTR
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
krewebrees

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
unfsaint wrote:

He was hurt. I think it was his right hamstring. I didn't even know that he did the jumps. I don't think he ran the 5-10-5 or 3 cone, and only did one route. I'm not concerned. He'll redo it all at his pro day. By the way the one route was sick. One handed sideline grab.
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
unfsaint wrote:

He was hurt. I think it was his right hamstring. I didn't even know that he did the jumps. I don't think he ran the 5-10-5 or 3 cone, and only did one route. I'm not concerned. He'll redo it all at his pro day. By the way the one route was sick. One handed sideline grab.

Even the 5'11" is concerning. He's a guy who makes a living off tough catches, since he doesn't have the athletic ability to get tons of seperation. He ain't out jumping anyone at 5'11" and a vertical of 28"

RTR
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks' time in the 60-yard shuttle (10.72) is the fastest time ever in http://NFL.com combine database.

Quote:
Cooks' time in the 20-shuttle is tied for the fastest in that same time period (fastest for a WR).

Quote:
Cooks' 40 time (4.33) ranks tied for No. 7 among WRs since 2006. Only faster from Pac-12 was Jason Hill in 2007 (4.32).

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/02/brandin_cooks_sets_nfl_combine.html

Gimme gimme gimme

Brandin Cooks - 53 receptions, 550 yards, 25 first downs, 3 TD - 7 rushes, 73 yards, 4 first downs, 1 TD
Corey White - 44 tackles, 2 INT, 1 sack, 6 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: