Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Combine Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KBS756

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerald wrote:
Is Cooks acceptable at 18?

Just don't like his size overall ... but then again Geno lit it up with short quick guys in college ... so if the front office liked him I could deal with him being our pick
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ok with Cooks as long we grab a bigger bodied WR in FA.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
Emerald wrote:

Just don't like his size overall ... but then again Geno lit it up with short quick guys in college ... so if the front office liked him I could deal with him being our pick

The Cook's scenario sort of brings up the Tavon Austin debate from last year. Is this the type of player we're looking at? Austin is 5'8, Cooks is 5'10. Percy Harvin-5'11.

I'm not that familiar with him, but obviously, he's making a case for himself. The other question you have to ask is, could Kerley be productive out wide? I know he's done it occasionally here with the Jets, but I can't remember how effective he was.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thing to look at is that the Seahawks don't seem to value WR size all that much. Outside of Sidney Rice (6'4), their top 3 receivers heading into this season were not very big. However, it should be noted that they have tried drafting bigger WRs like Chris Harper and Kris Durham.

Percy Harvin - 5'11
Golden Tate - 5'10
Doug Baldwin - 5'10

The same goes for Marty Mornhinweg in Philly. Here were his top 3 receivers for his last 4 seasons with the Eagles:

DeSean Jackson - 5'11
Jeremy Maclin - 6'
Jason Avant - 6'
KBS756

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Smith wrote:
KBS756 wrote:
Emerald wrote:

The Cook's scenario sort of brings up the Tavon Austin debate from last year. Is this the type of player we're looking at? Austin is 5'8, Cooks is 5'10. Percy Harvin-5'11.

I'm not that familiar with him, but obviously, he's making a case for himself. The other question you have to ask is, could Kerley be productive out wide? I know he's done it occasionally here with the Jets, but I can't remember how effective he was.

My problem with having all small WRs is more I feel that certain defenses are good at covering that but not good at covering larger guys ... I feel like if we had a guys of various types we would hopefully have an effective weapon regardless of who we were up against

Cooks Kerley and Another WR wouldn't be too bad but I'd hope the other guy whoever he was ... was at least 6'1 or 6'2 with some ability to go up and get a football. I love speed and explosion in and out of breaks but it would just be awesome to have that safety blanket guy much like Calvin is for the Lions or Anquan Boldin has been. Hopefully someone falls to us late enough to make that a possibility Kelvin Benjamin in the 2nd after OBJ or Cooks in the first?

Benjamin may not explode off the line in the redzone he does have the ability to go up and get a football and be a redzone weapon much like Burress was for us before although he was nearly useless in the middle of the field
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Eagles also didn't ever go to a SB with that WR corps. So it's not like it's a proven successful strategy. I'd much rather a combo of height, speed, quickness and physicality between all the WR on the roster. And when you bring in only guys 5'11" it eliminates 1/2 those qualities pretty much. Plus generally the small guys can't block well and we are a run 1st team.
KBS756

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
And the Eagles also didn't ever go to a SB with that WR corps. So it's not like it's a proven successful strategy. I'd much rather a combo of height, speed, quickness and physicality between all the WR on the roster. And when you bring in only guys 5'11" it eliminates 1/2 those qualities pretty much. Plus generally the small guys can't block well and we are a run 1st team.

Exactly why we need at least one big guy .. especially in the Redzone ... remember how useless Plaxico was in the middle of the field but 8 TDs in the Redzone ... we NEED that
mikejets22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

Exactly why we need at least one big guy .. especially in the Redzone ... remember how useless Plaxico was in the middle of the field but 8 TDs in the Redzone ... we NEED that

I'd take a flyer on Coleman in the 4th. Reminds me of a Plax type, maybe slightly more athletic. I don't love Evans like everyone else. Just reminds me of a "loafer". Everyone loved his gauntlet, to me he looked like he was running half speed....loafing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

Hill and Nelson are both very tall guys, but I agree. I'd like to add an outside receiver that is at least 6'2 or 6'3.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:
I bet we go Corner in Round 1

I know Rex loves corners, but I can't see that realistically happening.

If Gilbert or Dennard is there you never know

Dennard getting Revis comparisons
KBS756

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
KBS756 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

Hill and Nelson are both very tall guys, but I agree. I'd like to add an outside receiver that is at least 6'2 or 6'3.

If only Hill could at least be Plaxico that year ... we could go after a guy like Sammy or even take Cooks without having to worry about that kinda quality.
rampantjet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Emerald wrote:

I think he is worth the pick from a value standpoint, but I'm not sure if he fits with Kerley. If our staff determines that he can play on the outside, then I would be fine.

He recorded the best 20-yard shuttle time for a WR since Deion Branch in 2002.

Cooks wouldn't be my first pick at 18, but I certainly wouldn't be mad if we got him there. He kind of fits the style of WR that Marty seems to like, and I do think he could play outside.

Oh and to agree with what you said earlier, Lee is most certainly a reach at 18 before the combine, and I only think he justified that.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
Harris Smith wrote:
KBS756 wrote:
Emerald wrote:

My problem with having all small WRs is more I feel that certain defenses are good at covering that but not good at covering larger guys ... I feel like if we had a guys of various types we would hopefully have an effective weapon regardless of who we were up against

Cooks Kerley and Another WR wouldn't be too bad but I'd hope the other guy whoever he was ... was at least 6'1 or 6'2 with some ability to go up and get a football. I love speed and explosion in and out of breaks but it would just be awesome to have that safety blanket guy much like Calvin is for the Lions or Anquan Boldin has been. Hopefully someone falls to us late enough to make that a possibility Kelvin Benjamin in the 2nd after OBJ or Cooks in the first?

Benjamin may not explode off the line in the redzone he does have the ability to go up and get a football and be a redzone weapon much like Burress was for us before although he was nearly useless in the middle of the field

Yeah, I prefer the taller guys myself, but after seeing how guys like Harvin have translated, I'm trying to have a more open mind to the smaller receivers. Beckham in a way has the characteristics of both the smaller burner while also showing the ability to go up and battle for the ball that you like from a bigger guy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What defensive players would you take before a non-Watkins receiver at 18?

I would take Clowney, Mack, and maybe Dennard.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerald wrote:
What defensive players would you take before a non-Watkins receiver at 18?

I would take Clowney, Mack, and maybe Dennard.

Gilbert
Barr

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: