Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Combine thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
Pryor just ran an unofficial 4.60

Not overly impressive, but right in the range with Mark Barron and Kenny Vaccaro. He's a good bet to be on the short list.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

Not overly impressive, but right in the range with Mark Barron and Kenny Vaccaro. He's a good bet to be on the short list.

If you plan on playing your safeties in deep halves zone coverages, or even in shorter robber zones and hooks, curls etc, you don't need him to run a 4.4 ... you just need him to be able to close a gap quickly, and therefore have a good burst and a fast first few steps. Which Pryor does.

Zone coverage doesn't require fast guys, just smart ones with a quick burst and a nose for the ball who can tackle well. Pryor is a good fit.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

If you plan on playing your safeties in deep halves zone coverages, or even in shorter robber zones and hooks, curls etc, you don't need him to run a 4.4 ... you just need him to be able to close a gap quickly, and therefore have a good burst and a fast first few steps. Which Pryor does.

Zone coverage doesn't require fast guys, just smart ones with a quick burst and a nose for the ball who can tackle well. Pryor is a good fit.

Joyner can also close those gaps Smile

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSTE92 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

Joyner can also close those gaps Smile

Many players can. It is easier to play zone coverages in the NFL than man, and it is easier for a defense as a whole to play heavy zones than anything else. It's easier to find guys who work in that system.

That is why so many zone heavy defenses have secondaries comprised of late round picks who are competing at a high level and making a huge impact every game - look at just about every guy in Seattle's secondary, for example.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Baixis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSTE92 wrote:
Quote:
Florida DT Dominique Easley — The combine’s biggest value is for teams to investigate players’ character and medical statuses, and Easley might not be in great shape with either. Easley was described as “distracted” and “immature” by one team, and his discussion with the media that he preferred watching cartoons to football might back that up. Also, he’s coming off his second torn ACL in two years and has not decided when he can work out in April for scouts while he rehabs.

Have you seen his healthy game tape though?! He might be the quickest, fastest, most explosive DL I've ever seen, and he did it almost every play that I've watched! Based on game tape alone, he's easily one of the most impressive DL I've seen in a decade. One of the most impressive players at ANY position really. That said, I'm very tired of all the injury prone/risk players that we have taken lately, and unless his knees fully check out, I would have to pass. Lee and Murray and Claiborne have definitely proven to me that you can be amongst the very best in the game when healthy - and it doesn't mean jack if they're not on the field!
DallasPride28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Jin_Jin wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Jin_Jin wrote:
Anyone else slightly concerned that Donald might not make it to us at 16? The dude had another great showing.

Not really. I like Donald, but if he goes before us it just means a more elite player is available for us to take (or trade)

So far, I like:

1. Donald DT
2. Jernigan DT
3. Evans WR
4. Martin OL
5. Hageman DT

I really like Mack but I don't think he'll be anywhere near 16. May I ask who the more elite player would be if Donald went before us?

Out of your list, I like Martin and Evans over Donald.

But say the following are taken:
1. Blake Bortles (QB Central Florida)
2. Sammy Watkins (WR Clemson)
3. Teddy Bridgewater (QB Louisville)
4: Johnny Manziel (QB Texas A&M)
5. Jadaveon Clowney (DE South Carolina)
6. Greg Robinson (OT Auburn)
7. Khalil Mack (DE Buffalo)
8. Anthony Barr (DE/LB UCLA)
9. Mike Evans (WR Texas A&M)
10. Jake Matthews (OT Texas A&M)
11. C.J. Mosley (LB Alabama)
12. Zach Martin (OL Notre Dame)
13. Taylor Lewan (OT Michigan)
14. Calvin Pryor (S Louisville)
15. Aaron Donald (DL Pittsburgh)

That would probably be the most unfortunate circumstances of us. It would leave Ha Ha, Dennard and Hageman for us. But I am pretty confident that one of the fifteen would fall. Especially since one cannot rule out the chance of Carr being selected as well.

Your not a fan of HaHa? I know we need to seriously add to the Dline but if HaHa is there is it really unfortunate? I'm not questioning you I'm just asking. I haven't watched the combine or followed the draft prospects much because I'm in the process of moving.

Adopt-A-Cowboy(Dez Bryant)
46 catches, 706 yards, 7 touchdown, 15.3 average
DreamEater53

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaHa is more of a run support safety than real center fielder if I'm not mistaken. He'd be another Church, we need more of a playmaking center fielder.
DallasPride28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamEater53 wrote:
HaHa is more of a run support safety than real center fielder if I'm not mistaken. He'd be another Church, we need more of a playmaking center fielder.

Really? I thought the opposite. I felt at least from what I read he could excel at being the center fielder we have been lacking since Woodson. Even being viewed by "some teams" as having potiential as a cornerback. Calvin Pryor being the typical in the box safety.

JWingate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DallasPride28 wrote:
DreamEater53 wrote:

Really? I thought the opposite. I felt at least from what I read he could excel at being the center fielder we have been lacking since Woodson. Even being viewed by "some teams" as having potiential as a cornerback. Calvin Pryor being the typical in the box safety.

I believe Pryor is an all around talented safety. He can lay the hammer and make great plays in the air. Clinton-Dix I struggle with, he is a good safety, but I didn't see the ability to play over the top to make plays and help with the corner. He as well is a good tackler, just doesn't lay the hammer like Pryor.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
DallasPride28 wrote:
DreamEater53 wrote:

I believe Pryor is an all around talented safety. He can lay the hammer and make great plays in the air. Clinton-Dix I struggle with, he is a good safety, but I didn't see the ability to play over the top to make plays and help with the corner. He as well is a good tackler, just doesn't lay the hammer like Pryor.

Well then I must have been mistaken. I however am a firm believer like all of you that adding a safety isn't going to amount to much if the Dline cannot get a constant flow of pressure on the QB. A good dline can make an average secondary great. Id rather not ignore the dline but I'm trying to gauge other talent say we miss out on a top dline player.

DreamEater53

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DallasPride28 wrote:
JWingate wrote:
DallasPride28 wrote:
DreamEater53 wrote:

Well then I must have been mistaken. I however am a firm believer like all of you that adding a safety isn't going to amount to much if the Dline cannot get a constant flow of pressure on the QB. A good dline can make an average secondary great. Id rather not ignore the dline but I'm trying to gauge other talent say we miss out on a top dline player.

I may be in the minority, but I really believe that Wilcox can be that guy for us if we let him develop a little more and get Jeff Heath the eff out of this place. If we upgrade the d line, everything is upgraded and maybe Wilcox can prove himself then.
buddy_z34

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamEater53 wrote:

You are wrong sir. HaHa is a true playmaking centerfield type free safety. He would compliment Church very well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for it. As far as I'm concerned the guy can play. He just needs the time to refine and develop the skills at the safety position. He's raw and I think he can be molded into a good player for us. He showed some flashes this past season if I'm not again mistaken lol now Heath needs to go! The guy I can safely say probably lost every jump ball situation. Now the Alshon Jeffrey catch was pretty amazing though lol

JWingate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy_z34 wrote:
DreamEater53 wrote:

You are wrong sir. HaHa is a true playmaking centerfield type free safety. He would compliment Church very well.

I disagree he is a center fielder. I have watched a good amount of film on him and the problem I have is he struggles to get there to make a play. The true center fielders get there to make the play not just the area to almost make the play.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
DreamEater53 wrote:

I disagree he is a center fielder. I have watched a good amount of film on him and the problem I have is he struggles to get there to make a play. The true center fielders get there to make the play not just the area to almost make the play.

I've watched a fair amount of film as well, and most Bama games in general, and he is not the center-fielder I once thought he was - definitely no Earl Thomas. But I still personally think he will be noticeably better in that area than Pryor. I've watched quite a bit of him too, and I just don't see what everyone else sees. He is NOT a center-fielder! He's a decent all around safety, but no where close to an Earl Thomas (quite honestly, he's one of my biggest BUST targets). One or two great plays by him does not make him a true FS. Unfortunately, that's the trouble with this draft. There is NO Thomas-like safety, imo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: