Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Combine thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textaz03

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: 2014 NFL Combine thread Reply with quote

Yesterday kicked off the Combine with TE's/Olineman/ST's reporting

Today we get their measurements.

I'm on my phone, so I will update this OP with a full schedule and invite list later tonight.

Post all Combine related news, notes, tweets here.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
JWingate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Robinson - 6'5 332
Cyrus Kouandjio - 6'6 3/4 322
Eric Ebron - 6'4 3/8 250

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nfldraftscout: #Steelers GM Kevin Colbert: "I've been doing this 30 some years and this is the deepest draft I've seen."

@dpbrugler: Talking to people in Indy who I trust, I get the sense that Bortles and Manziel are the favorites for No. 1 pick. Still very early though

@nfldraftscout: Name I keep hearing a lot of buzz about is C.J. Mosley. One team source flat-out told me I had him rated too low (No. 16 overall)

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
buddy_z34

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do you guys view as the workout warriors this year??

I have a feeling Crichton is going to work his way into a mid to late round one pick. Better overall stats and possible better combine numbers except 40 time than that SEC guy.

Kinda interested in seeing what Jackson Jeffcoat comes in weighing. I think he is a lil undersized which may cause him to drop some. Unless some 3-4 team takes him as an OLB/DE tweener.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't expecting David Yankey to be that big. 6055 (6'6 5/Cool and 315 pounds with 34 inch arms. He could start at guard and kick out to tackle as well.

Another Stanford lineman, Cameron Fleming, only measured in at 6047 despite being listed at 6'6.

Gabe Jackson with a pretty decent weigh in at 336 pounds and 33 3/4 inch arms.

Ju'Wuan James looks the part. 6'6, 311 and 35 inch arms.

Anthony Steen only has 30 1/2 inch arms.

Cornelius Lucas is huge. 6083, 36 3/4 inch arms. That is not a typo.

Last one I want to mention is Kouandjio. 6066, 322, 35 5/8 inches.

Personally, the most stock I take in the combine is measurements.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
I wasn't expecting David Yankey to be that big. 6055 (6'6 5/Cool and 315 pounds with 34 inch arms. He could start at guard and kick out to tackle as well.

Another Stanford lineman, Cameron Fleming, only measured in at 6047 despite being listed at 6'6.

Steen is going to fall like a rock.

Bob Sturm wrote:
If you expect me to stop rooting against Philadelphia, their fans, or their football team, then lower your expectations. It won't happen.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

I don't think he's all that great. Pretty limited athletically, so the upside isn't really there. He is what he is.

If we are going to draft a guard, I either want an athletic LG who can help form a great left side with Tyron and Frederick for the future, or a guy you can start inside and kick out to RT after Free leaves. So guys I am looking at that fit the bill are Su'a-Filo, Yankey, Martin, Dozier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

I don't think he's all that great. Pretty limited athletically, so the upside isn't really there. He is what he is.

If we are going to draft a guard, I either want an athletic LG who can help form a great left side with Tyron and Frederick for the future, or a guy you can start inside and kick out to RT after Free leaves. So guys I am looking at that fit the bill are Su'a-Filo, Yankey, Martin, Dozier

From what I've seen Steen has been gradually declining anyway, but even inside that arm length is going to hurt. Those are some serious T-Rex arms.

Bob Sturm wrote:
If you expect me to stop rooting against Philadelphia, their fans, or their football team, then lower your expectations. It won't happen.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the measurements posted anywhere?
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
are the measurements posted anywhere?

I was reading them from Walterfootball

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FM, What's your thoughts on Morgan Moses from UVA and Mewhort from Ohio St?

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
buckwild

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gushed over Aaron Donald's performance at the Senior Bowl and have been told to expect much of the same during his combine workout on Monday. Donald, a 500+ pound bench presser, is expected to total in the mid 30's on the bench then run his forty somewhere in the 4.7's after tipping the scales in the low 290-pound area. I'm told Donald will also put up some pretty spectacular times in the agility drills. Where could Donald end up in May? After the combine we said teams late in the first round would have to start giving the Pittsburgh lineman consideration but recent rumblings have the Chicago Bears very interested in his services with the 14th pick of round one.-Tony Pauline

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:

To be honest with you buckwild, I haven't seen a lot of them so I don't want to BS you. What I do remember when watching Oday Aboushi from last year (I think it was last year at least) on UVA that I was much more impressed with Moses on the other side. Having said that, I haven't really watched more than a game of either of them extensively. But I'm definitely going to watch them a bit tonight. I have been wanting to scout some OTs again, so thank you for the suggestion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Love Gabe Jackson and would do backflips if we draft him to pair with Freebeard

Also I wanna say I like Lucas more than most as I think he played better than most thought and lets not forget ya cant teach size and he got it
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
buckwild wrote:

To be honest with you buckwild, I haven't seen a lot of them so I don't want to BS you. What I do remember when watching Oday Aboushi from last year (I think it was last year at least) on UVA that I was much more impressed with Moses on the other side. Having said that, I haven't really watched more than a game of either of them extensively. But I'm definitely going to watch them a bit tonight. I have been wanting to scout some OTs again, so thank you for the suggestion.

Alright, I went ahead and watched three games of Mewhort (SDSU, Michigan, and Buffalo). I'm not going to give an organized scouting report, but I'll just kind of organize my notes into something that (I hope) is coherent.

So I'll start with the vitals. Mewhort obviously measured in well at 6'6, 309 with 34 inch arms. I believe he also had over 10 inch hands at the Senior Bowl. He was voted team captain, which is obviously an important part of how JG evaluates players as "RKGs". He is also reportedly a tough SOB, and some of that flashes on film.

As far as what I saw on tape, I have some mixed feelings. As far as pass protection, he wins with his smarts, length, and technique. Almost always picks up the right player on stunts and twists and does a good job of identifying his assignment pre-snap, from what I can tell. Consistently positions his hands in the right spots and uses his strong hands to control the pass rusher. Plays with a pretty solid anchor, but he can get knocked off balance every now and again. Usually does a good job of re-sinking his hips, but there were occasions where he was on one foot.

He isn't a great athlete and it shows. He knows that he is vulnerable to the outside speed rush so he over compensates to the outside shoulder. This leaves him susceptible to pass rushers coming back across his face, and he struggles to change directions and keep up. Hand and foot quickness are average at best. Because of this, he is going to have to play on the right side in the NFL. He won't be able to keep up with the best speed rushers at the next level.

As a run blocker, he leaves me wanting so much more. He plays very high, but when he does keep his pads down he flashes the ability to just drive a defender back with a strong lower half. Unfortunately, more often than not, he came off the line high and simply walled off his man and sealed, which he does pretty effectively, admittedly. Doesn't do it consistently enough, but will block through the whistle and aggravate opponents. Not always efficient with his steps as a zone blocker, and he doesn't have the recovery speed to make up for it. He does a good job of identifying his man at the second level and takes a good angle to get there, but his footwork gets all out of whack when he is working in space. Always seems to keep his legs churning, which is a plus.

All in all, hes a solid prospect, and its hard to tell if he would be a good fit here in Dallas, IMO. I see him as a decent starting RT with the ability to be a quality player if he refines his technique in the run game, both in terms of ZBS footwork and pad level. His athleticism is nothing to write home about, but I think he projects as a good pass protector on the right side due to his length and technique.

Hope that helps, I'll probably get to Moses tomorrow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: