Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Source: Cap rumoured to be "a few mil" over 132
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas is not going to release Ware. Dallas was never going to release Ware. People need to stop talking about it, its a waste of time. He will play for Dallas next year, and i doubt he takes a pay cut

Sean Lee leads the NFL in making David Wilson cry.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix=Fast! wrote:
doubt he takes a pay cut

He basically has to. Restructuring his contract hurts as does keeping him at his current price.

Even with the increase in cap room, Ware either takes a pay cut or he's gone.

^^^Deadpulse
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix=Fast! wrote:
Dallas is not going to release Ware. Dallas was never going to release Ware. People need to stop talking about it, its a waste of time. He will play for Dallas next year, and i doubt he takes a pay cut

That's why were 8-8 every year, because Jerry doesn't have the brains to make the tough decisions. I like Ware. I respect what he did, but his pay is way above his performance, and I don't have confidence that he will ever play at that level again. So IMO, ask him to cut his base salaries in half, or say bye. It's a team game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:

That's why were 8-8 every year, because Jerry doesn't have the brains to make the tough decisions. I like Ware. I respect what he did, but his pay is way above his performance, and I don't have confidence that he will ever play at that level again. So IMO, ask him to cut his base salaries in half, or say bye. It's a team game.

Guorde
Adams
Davis
Owens
Williams
Barber
Newman
James
Ratliff

Were all cut in the last few years. All were prize JJ players at some point. And that doesnt include Free - who got fat paid and forced to pay cut.

I think the Combo of SJ and JG will be enough influence. The ket is Ware. If he doesnt take a pay cut, he needs to be traded.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
buddy_z34

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:
doubt he takes a pay cut

He basically has to. Restructuring his contract hurts as does keeping him at his current price.

I think it was on ESPN where I read restructuring Romo, Lee and Scandricks contracts will net the Boys a lil over 17 million in cap space. So as time moves on I'm fearing that Stephen Jones and the front office will keep Ware as is, let him play this year and if his play continues to slide then next year will be the year they cut him or ask for a pay cut. I'd much rather trade or cut him this year as I feel this would be the best year to do it in terms of possible free agents to be had as well as the deep draft class.

As I said before cutting Ware this year would net A LOT of cap space in terms of singing possibly free agents in Delmas, MJD, Jared Allen or Michael Bennett or LaMarr Houston or Henry Melton. If trading him is possible I would only ask a 4th rounder and hope someone like Jackson Jeffcoat is still available as I think he will be given he is undersized in terms of weight which will cause him to see his draft status plummet, unless he has added weight to get ready for the combine.

IMO things have fallen in place for this to be the year the organization cut ties with Ware. Dude was one of my favorite players on the team but the team has to break it's curse of holding onto players for too long. Cutting/trading Ware will show that the organization is ready to overcome this problem they have. Think with your head and not your heart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my take on the whole situation. All of our coaches are on a one year deal. Garrett, Rod, Kiffen everyone. They are going to want the best possible players on this squad for 2014. It's their make or break season. Plain and simple. Ware isn't going anywhere this year. Regardless if what we all think should happen.

Was 2013 a fluke for Ware? Don't know, is he not a scheme fit? Was it health? I'm inclined to go with health. Was it his failure to have these surgeries done prior to last year, esp if that elbow has been bothering him for 2 years.

Would I like to see a pay cut for his decline in production? Absolutely. But will it happen? Probably not. Will we cut or trade him? No, because of what I just mentioned, Garrett, Rod and Kiffen are full in, on a make it or break season and need a future Hall of Famer leading their defense.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:

Guorde
Adams
Davis
Owens
Williams
Barber
Newman
James
Ratliff

Were all cut in the last few years. All were prize JJ players at some point. And that doesnt include Free - who got fat paid and forced to pay cut.

And most, if not all, of them were given lucrative extensions which allowed them to remain on the team long after they should've been there. In fact, many of us said that a lot of them didn't deserve the extensions they received; which were subsequently restructured once or twice before they were eventually released. So it's a multi-layered issue. Jerry needs to be more responsible with respect to whom he gives extensions to, how much he gives them, how long the extensions are for, and how he operates the organization's finances after the extensions are put in place. What his behavior has ultimately been telling us is that he has no long term strategy whatsoever. So, hopefully, a change in approach with respect to contracts and restructures signals a shift in how he's willing to do business with the team. That in itself will help the team improve because it forces our executives to do a better job over draft weekend.

Quote:
I think the Combo of SJ and JG will be enough influence. The ket is Ware. If he doesnt take a pay cut, he needs to be traded.

I agree, but the issue is whether we can find a trade partner who is willing to accept Ware's bloated cap number. If we can, then we should move him.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.

Last edited by plan9misfit on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy_z34 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:
doubt he takes a pay cut

I think it was on ESPN where I read restructuring Romo, Lee and Scandricks contracts will net the Boys a lil over 17 million in cap space. So as time moves on I'm fearing that Stephen Jones and the front office will keep Ware as is, let him play this year and if his play continues to slide then next year will be the year they cut him or ask for a pay cut. I'd much rather trade or cut him this year as I feel this would be the best year to do it in terms of possible free agents to be had as well as the deep draft class.

As I said before cutting Ware this year would net A LOT of cap space in terms of singing possibly free agents in Delmas, MJD, Jared Allen or Michael Bennett or LaMarr Houston or Henry Melton. If trading him is possible I would only ask a 4th rounder and hope someone like Jackson Jeffcoat is still available as I think he will be given he is undersized in terms of weight which will cause him to see his draft status plummet, unless he has added weight to get ready for the combine.

IMO things have fallen in place for this to be the year the organization cut ties with Ware. Dude was one of my favorite players on the team but the team has to break it's curse of holding onto players for too long. Cutting/trading Ware will show that the organization is ready to overcome this problem they have. Think with your head and not your heart.

You last sentence nailed it. This is what I've been saying for years. As much as we all love Ware, we need to make the business decision and do what's best for the overall, long and short term health of the team, and that's keeping finances in order. In my opinion, Ware is declining. Albeit from age, injuries, scheme change, or any combination thereof. All we know is that he's costing us a lot of money, and I'm not sure that his play warrants the pay anymore.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
buddy_z34 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:
doubt he takes a pay cut

You last sentence nailed it. This is what I've been saying for years. As much as we all love Ware, we need to make the business decision and do what's best for the overall, long and short term health of the team, and that's keeping finances in order. In my opinion, Ware is declining. Albeit from age, injuries, scheme change, or any combination thereof. All we know is that he's costing us a lot of money, and I'm not sure that his play warrants the pay anymore.
I am thinking with my head. I know Jerry isnt going to cut the Demarcus Ware. He is slated to be the only returning starter other than selvie on a depleted line and he is one of Dallas' marquee player.

You guys think with human logic. I am thinking with Jerry logic.

Sean Lee leads the NFL in making David Wilson cry.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we don't touch Ware's contract this year, how much does it save us the following offseason if we cut him?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
If we don't touch Ware's contract this year, how much does it save us the following offseason if we cut him?

http://overthecap.com/dallas-cowboys-navigating-the-salary-cap/

This year......
Quote:
Going forward Dallas is going to have a very difficult decision to make regarding DE/OLB DeMarcus Ware. Ware will be 32 years old in 2014. He is the lone Cowboys whose release or trade saves significant money- $7.4 million. Ware’s cap figure in 2014 is $16 million and then $17.5 million in 2015. These are very difficult cap numbers for 32 and 33 year old pass rushers. Julius Peppers has that kind of figure this season and won’t be back in Chicago next year. The going rate for older rushers is around $5 million a year. Ware will earn $27 million in cash in 2014 and 2015.

If the Cowboys go all in with Ware and reduce his salary to the minimum they can save $8,471,250 against the salary cap even if they do not add void seasons to the contract. The problem with that move is it pushes Ware’s salary cap figure to $20.3 million in 2015 with a whopping $13,789,000 in dead money if they need to release him. Is that worth doing? Probably not and the team needs to avoid touching that deal if at all possible.

Next year......
Quote:
Releasing Ware saves the team $12,186,000, which is why I would not want to touch his contract in 2014. He needs to go in 2014 to allow the team to move forward. There really are no other options. Through all the restructures we had to use for 2013 and 2014, Carr is already going to cost $11.36 million to release in 2016. I can’t go further in on a cornerback about to turn 30. Same goes with Witten.

Carr is also another interesting player to cut next year if his play plummets like Ware's. Don't touch his contract this offseason an if he is cut next year it would save roughly over 4 million. Unless he takes a paycut.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/24446780/nfl-salary-caps-browns-in-great-shape-cowboys-again-are-not

Quote:
When the league's 2014 business year begins March 11, teams will only have to count the top 51 salaries against the cap -- a little relief from the reality of the season when they have to count the top 53 salaries, plus the practice squad and players on injured reserve.

Quote:
Dallas Cowboys (62, $32.7 million over): No team is in a tougher cap situation. The Cowboys could cut the bottom 10 players on the roster and still be more than $20 million over the cap. Expect big-name players to be released in the next few weeks and also expect Jerry Jones to keep using his credit card (converting salaries to signing bonuses) to keep this team afloat.

Not sure about the number as I've seen different cap numbers elsewhere, but either way, Dallas has 19 days, counting today to shave a lot of money and get under the cap.

Bob Sturm wrote:
If you expect me to stop rooting against Philadelphia, their fans, or their football team, then lower your expectations. It won't happen.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
According to a source, the projection for the 2014 salary cap is now at $132 million.

This is from John Clayton via Twitter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Quote:
According to a source, the projection for the 2014 salary cap is now at $132 million.

This is from John Clayton via Twitter
hmmmm, that's another 2 Mil on top of what was mentioned earlier this week.

As of right now, it's all speculation until the League and NFLPA release the finalized accounting paperwork for the League to the teams which should be in the next 10-12 days. This will tell the clubs exactly what the Salary CAP is and how much each team is carrying over from the previous years excess CAP.

textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another so called source, has come out today saying that the CAP could actually be as high as 135 Mil this year. If true, that's 12 mil higher than last season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: