Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colbert-Steelers could be more active in FA this year
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Colbert-Steelers could be more active in FA this year Reply with quote

Depot doesn't let me post the comments, but I'll summarize:
-Thinks the team needs it from a depth standpoint, and has the cap to do it this year. They obviously have some plans to clear up cap. Also said because of the availability standpoint ie who is available. Interesting (Albert).
-Compared this team to the early 2000's when they were trying to put the team together. Said they were more active in FA at that time. Said market will dictate it all. Mentioned Farrior/Hartings as examples of key additions they were willing to make.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/02/kevin-colbert-thinks-steelers-could-be-more-active-in-free-agency-market-this-year/

I've been saying for a while that Colbert knows his job is going to be on the line soon. There's going to be more urgency and probably a bit more willingness to roll the dice. Tomlin, too.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben will be extended.
Brown will be cut.

Those are the two moves I 100% expect.

Beyond that, I wont be shocked if they ask several players to take pay cuts or leave.

They should just cut Ike outright and extend Cortez IMO.

Troy....as much as I hate to say it, I think he could be on his way out. I think they would prefer to extend him but at a discount, but cutting him saves a good bit, and while he is still good, he is clearly on the slope, and not worth $10 million.

Heath will be on the block as well IMO. That, or they will try to extend him.

Woodley COULD be a post June 1st cut, but I think its a mistake to cut him this year. First off, I think he could still be good. He showed he could last year. I would give him one more year, and then cut him next year. Either way, we still have to pay him $8million next year, but at least we will get something out of him this year. And if he plays well, even better.

Worlids....Id like to keep him, but I wouldnt give him more than 4 years, $18 million with $7 guarnateed. If they give him a contract like the Browns gave Paul Krueger, they deserve all the misfortune that befalls them. I expect Worlids to leave, and hope he does rather than pay him anywhere close to what Kruger got.

I think, pending the cuts, if/how much we sign Worlids for, and how much certain restructures give us, we might be able to target one relatively big name. The only big name Id want is Albert, because then we could have our OLine set for years and focus on other aspects of the team.

Then, get another receiving weapon in the draft and focus most of the draft and next draft on fixing the defense.

If we lose Worlids and keep Woodely and Woodley struggles again, cut him next year and draft another OLB early next year.

I dont have all the answers...or any for that matter, but I have a good idea of what I would PERSONALLY try to do if I were calling the shots.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

Brown will be cut.

Que???

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levi Brown.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Levi Brown.

OK. Thought it may have been another Brown but couldn't think of another one.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:
Levi Brown.

Nope, I meant Antonio....right after we trade Ben.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
They should just cut Ike outright

Troy....as much as I hate to say it, I think he could be on his way out. I think they would prefer to extend him but at a discount, but cutting him saves a good bit, and while he is still good, he is clearly on the slope, and not worth $10 million.

These are 3 veterans I have the hardest time releasing/cutting.

If I had to chose between the 3 I'd chose.

1. Ike Taylor one of my fav Steelers of all time. But his play declined noticeably last season. Fuller, Dennard or Gilbert I believe can contribute early with W. Gay hopefully carrying over his play from last year.

2. Heath Miller - There are quite a few TEs that can probably add more offensive punch receiving wise then Miller. But the ability to set the , position versatility would be lost. I feel the Steelers can extend Miller and save money

3. There are a bunch of other players I'd release before Troy. The Steelers could extend Troy and save money. Releasing Troy and Ike would crumble the secondary that just a 2 yrs ago was #1 without a pass rush.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

1. Ike Taylor one of my fav Steelers of all time. But his play declined noticeably last season. Fuller, Dennard or Gilbert I believe can contribute early with W. Gay hopefully carrying over his play from last year.

2. Heath Miller - There are quite a few TEs that can probably add more offensive punch receiving wise then Miller. But the ability to set the , position versatility would be lost. I feel the Steelers can extend Miller and save money

3. There are a bunch of other players I'd release before Troy. The Steelers could extend Troy and save money. Releasing Troy and Ike would crumble the secondary that just a 2 yrs ago was #1 without a pass rush.

1. Ive never been Ike's biggest fan, but a few years ago, I really wanted to keep him. since we really had nothing on the roster at the position. We are a little better off now, but unlike last time, he is no longer the clearly best CB on the roster, and he is making way too much. So yeah...he needs to go.

2. I dont want to lose Miller right now either, but extending older players is part of what got us in the position we are in. I really dont want to keep doing it, especially with a 31-32 year old TE who is about a year or two away from being very average. The price for extending him would have to be very team friendly.

3. I dont want to cut Troy either, but its very feasible with his age, cap hit, and what he saves. You could cut other players, but none are going to offer the cap relief cutting him does. Also, he is another one that worries me about extending. He is 33. He has already slowed down. Extending him seems like somewhat of a panic move with us TRYING to both keep him and lowering our 2014 cap hit, but at the same time that might hurt us 2-3-4 years down the road.

And yes, our pass defense WAS good...TWO YEARS AGO. There is a perfectly good reason why our pass D has fell off....its because our secondary is ancient and age has caught up with them. Those players arent suddenly going to get better. Both Ike and Ryan Clark were pretty solid in 2012, but were arguably the worst players at their position in 2013.

And while I dont want to cut Troy, his pass defense (coverage) is the last thing that worries me about cutting him. We wouldnt miss his coverage ability at all.

Alot of tough decisions have to be made, but several of these players are in the twilight of their careers and fading away. They can still be valuable, but at their current price tags? No. And extending them could just open us up to more issues in the future.

IMO, its time to move forward. We are going to have to due without these players soon anyway....and we may as well get the future started now.

Im NOT saying we should cut Heath and Troy....but if push comes to shove, nostalgia needs to be thrown out the window. And I personally dont want to extend either of them unless they sign team friendly deals....and this is coming from a guy who absolutely loves both Heath and Troy and will very much miss them....but if its best for the team moving forward, so be it.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

1. Ive never been Ike's biggest fan, but a few years ago, I really wanted to keep him. since we really had nothing on the roster at the position. We are a little better off now, but unlike last time, he is no longer the clearly best CB on the roster, and he is making way too much. So yeah...he needs to go.

2. I dont want to lose Miller right now either, but extending older players is part of what got us in the position we are in. I really dont want to keep doing it, especially with a 31-32 year old TE who is about a year or two away from being very average. The price for extending him would have to be very team friendly.

3. I dont want to cut Troy either, but its very feasible with his age, cap hit, and what he saves. You could cut other players, but none are going to offer the cap relief cutting him does. Also, he is another one that worries me about extending. He is 33. He has already slowed down. Extending him seems like somewhat of a panic move with us TRYING to both keep him and lowering our 2014 cap hit, but at the same time that might hurt us 2-3-4 years down the road.

And yes, our pass defense WAS good...TWO YEARS AGO. There is a perfectly good reason why our pass D has fell off....its because our secondary is ancient and age has caught up with them. Those players arent suddenly going to get better. Both Ike and Ryan Clark were pretty solid in 2012, but were arguably the worst players at their position in 2013.

And while I dont want to cut Troy, his pass defense (coverage) is the last thing that worries me about cutting him. We wouldnt miss his coverage ability at all.

Alot of tough decisions have to be made, but several of these players are in the twilight of their careers and fading away. They can still be valuable, but at their current price tags? No. And extending them could just open us up to more issues in the future.

IMO, its time to move forward. We are going to have to due without these players soon anyway....and we may as well get the future started now.

Im NOT saying we should cut Heath and Troy....but if push comes to shove, nostalgia needs to be thrown out the window. And I personally dont want to extend either of them unless they sign team friendly deals....and this is coming from a guy who absolutely loves both Heath and Troy and will very much miss them....but if its best for the team moving forward, so be it.

James Harrison last season in a Steelers uniform the pass rush was average at best.

Sometimes its tough turning the page and if its in the best interest of the team to cut players then so be it. I don't want it to sound like I'm against it because I'm not. Just know this team will be 8-8 again or worse with the departure of these 3 along with some players starters and key contributors that are FAs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:
Levi Brown.

Nope, I meant Antonio....right after we trade Ben.

Laughing

I didn't know you could use smoke screen for the FA...

Brilliant!!!
SteelersFan2333

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my concerns if we cut Troy, Ike, Heath and Woodley is leadership. I am assuming Clark, Kiesel and Foote are all gone, and while I am not sure who the real locker room leaders are, those are 7 long term senior players that seem to lead by example. It seems Ben takes a leader role for the offense, but who would be left to lead the D? With everything the Dolphins are going through due to bad locker room leaders, who would rule the roost, lead the young guys, and keep things on track? I would prefer to keep at least a couple of veterans around, if those 7 guys all leave there is a huge void (pretty much only Timmons left as far as long term d-guys), and I am not sure we have the players to step up and replace them, on the field or off.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That would be a horrible idea to lose BOTH Clark and Troy in the same season. Next season? Maybe. Depends if we can pull in a vet safety that performs well enough while replacing Clark this year. And it gives Shamarko one more year of familiarization in our D.

I know you said you don't want to or think we should cut Troy, so agree with you there, but don't think they would really consider cutting Troy this year--savings or not.

Ike? Yes, because we have CBs that are familiar in our D (Allen, Gay), and while not spectacular, they can hold their own for a year while we develop a rookie.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a long time boys. Sorry for that, I've just been busy with work and stuff and in the Redskins forum it's been a crazy past couple of months.

I just read on pro football talk that Colbert said it's a unanimous decision from the Steelers front office to coaches that they want Ben in Pittsburgh for the rest of his career. It was following up on Rooney's comments about the team wanting Ben past his current contract. Colbertsaid Ben still has a tread on his tires and they liked how Ben and the team finished last year.

I like this. I have faith that the Steelers will sign the right players in free agency and spend the money the right way, but it's become clear over the past couple of seasons that they do need to get a little more out of the free agency market.

The reason they didn't have to last decade was because of the players they had, but now those players are old and gone and they left holes. They really need to sign a few guys to make the team more complete.

I'm thinking Branden Albert or Anthony Collins at LT and a safety like Louis Delmas would do the trick.

Last edited by turtle28 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
Quote:

That would be a horrible idea to lose BOTH Clark and Troy in the same season. Next season? Maybe. Depends if we can pull in a vet safety that performs well enough while replacing Clark this year. And it gives Shamarko one more year of familiarization in our D.

I know you said you don't want to or think we should cut Troy, so agree with you there, but don't think they would really consider cutting Troy this year--savings or not.

Ike? Yes, because we have CBs that are familiar in our D (Allen, Gay), and while not spectacular, they can hold their own for a year while we develop a rookie.
I agree about Troy - perhaps he'd take a pay cut to stay.

As for CB, I agree it's time for Taylor to go, or, or does anyone think he could transition to FS for a few years?

He's certainly got the size and toughness. His issue the past few years has been he doesn't really have the speed anymore to cover these younger Wrs, but i think a move to FS would be good for him and the team.

Then, I think the steelers would be smart to take a CB in round 1 like Justin Gilbert from OK St or Darqueze Dennard from Michigan State
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
3rivers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they get a high profile UFA LT or draft a LT high in the draft, how many of you think that they cut/trade Adams? Is he going to get a fair chance this year with Munchak?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: