Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trib-6 players Steelers will be watching closely at Combine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Trib-6 players Steelers will be watching closely at Combine Reply with quote

Quote:
Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert calls the NFL Draft talent pool as deep as any he has seen in 30 years. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock says it's the best in at least 10 years.
HA HA CLINTON-DIX, S, 6-0, 210, Alabama. Is being compared to Seahawks safety Earl Thomas. The Steelers have drafted only one safety in the first round in 44 years — Troy Polamalu — but they'll likely have two new starting safeties by 2015. Dix has excellent coverage skills, a Steelers secondary weakness last season. What the Steelers will watch in Indy: Can they take a cornerback or wideout in the first round and possibly get big-hitter safety Calvin Pryor (6-1, 210) of Louisville in the second round?

DARQUEZE DENNARD, CB, 5-11, 195, Michigan State. Even if Ike Taylor returns in 2014 — and he might not — cornerback is a position of great need. Dennard lacks Seahawks cornerback-like size, but he's a playmaker. He doesn't just project, he also produces (four INTs in 2013) and he's physical and aggressive. What the Steelers will be watching in Indy: His 40 time. A good time makes him even more attractive.

MIKE EVANS, WR, 6-4, 225, Texas A&M and KELVIN BENJAMIN, WR, 6-4, 230, Florida State. The Steelers badly need a big, cornerback-shedding wide receiver to complement Antonio Brown, and Roethlisberger loves big wideouts. Evans and Benjamin might be on the board at No. 15. What the Steelers will watch in Indy: Did Johnny Manziel make Evans or vice versa? Is Benjamin fast enough?

RYAN SHAZIER, LB, 6-1, 230, Ohio State.

TROY NIKLAS, TE, 6-6, 270, Notre Dame. The Steelers missed out on the Irish's Tyler Eifert last year, but Niklas could be there when they draft in the second round. Can block and is athletic. Doesn't have great speed, but Heath Miller doesn't, either. What the Steelers will be watching in Indy: As fast as Niklas is developing, how much more upside does he have?

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5612485-74/steelers-round-safety#axzz2tlG5UbPK

Interesting list of players. I'm not a big fan of a few. Don't know where he pulled it from. Niklas is a guy I would think would be there well into R2.

Mike Mayock thinks the Steelers will show little interest in Nix at 1.15. He named someone he thinks the Steelers will like, however. Kyle Fuller. Surprising to hear him talked about so high. I like Fuller, but at 1.15?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/02/mike-mayock-cold-on-louis-nix-for-the-steelers-hot-on-kyle-fuller/
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
nate3682

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I crazy or did they only list 5?

EDIT: I'm crazy. Reading it beforehand would have helped. Carry on.

I like this list of players aside from Shazier. I don't think he's big enough to be a LB in our defense.
"We're coming from everywhere. We play with 15 guys in the huddle. We have guys parachuting from airplanes, fans coming from out of the stands to help us go after people." - Kevin Greene on the Steelers' defense
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing about that list "screams at me" those guys are where a lot of the hype is.

I would be a little surprised if we select anyone on that list that isn't named Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix if I'm being completely honest

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Nothing about that list "screams at me" those guys are where a lot of the hype is.

I would be a little surprised if we select anyone on that list that isn't named Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix if I'm being completely honest

Arent you the one always drooling over Kelvin Benjiman?

And you should know by know the Steelers dont draft based on "hype".

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

OH, I totally missed Benjamin on that list. He, imo, is their most likely target on that list, imo.

As for the 'dont draft based on hype' that's exactly my point. These guys are receiving a lot of hype, they're not necessarily really the best available talent. Outside of Benjamin on that list, I don't truly think any of them classify as the BPA Top 15 pick. That doesn't mean I'm right about the Steelers not drafting them, I just don't think they will.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

OH, I totally missed Benjamin on that list. He, imo, is their most likely target on that list, imo.

As for the 'dont draft based on hype' that's exactly my point. These guys are receiving a lot of hype, they're not necessarily really the best available talent. Outside of Benjamin on that list, I don't truly think any of them classify as the BPA Top 15 pick. That doesn't mean I'm right about the Steelers not drafting them, I just don't think they will.

I dont think that list was meant to be only first rounders. Nicklas is not even close to a 1st round guy.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nate3682 wrote:
I like this list of players aside from Shazier. I don't think he's big enough to be a LB in our defense.

Neither was Sean Spence.

I didnt like that pick and wouldnt like the Shazier pick (for more reasons than size), but its very possible.

wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

I dont think that list was meant to be only first rounders. Nicklas is not even close to a 1st round guy.

I'd agree with that. I don't honestly know enough about Niklas to pass judgement him but I see his hype growing.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

OH, I totally missed Benjamin on that list. He, imo, is their most likely target on that list, imo. -- Nah, we'll opt for the shorter, faster WR with the droppsies--Marquise Lee Rolling Eyes

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Trib-6 players Steelers will be watching closely at Comb Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Quote:
Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert calls the NFL Draft talent pool as deep as any he has seen in 30 years. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock says it's the best in at least 10 years.
HA HA CLINTON-DIX, S, 6-0, 210, Alabama. Is being compared to Seahawks safety Earl Thomas. The Steelers have drafted only one safety in the first round in 44 years — Troy Polamalu — but they'll likely have two new starting safeties by 2015. Dix has excellent coverage skills, a Steelers secondary weakness last season. What the Steelers will watch in Indy: Can they take a cornerback or wideout in the first round and possibly get big-hitter safety Calvin Pryor (6-1, 210) of Louisville in the second round?

DARQUEZE DENNARD, CB, 5-11, 195, Michigan State. Even if Ike Taylor returns in 2014 — and he might not — cornerback is a position of great need. Dennard lacks Seahawks cornerback-like size, but he's a playmaker. He doesn't just project, he also produces (four INTs in 2013) and he's physical and aggressive. What the Steelers will be watching in Indy: His 40 time. A good time makes him even more attractive.

MIKE EVANS, WR, 6-4, 225, Texas A&M and KELVIN BENJAMIN, WR, 6-4, 230, Florida State. The Steelers badly need a big, cornerback-shedding wide receiver to complement Antonio Brown, and Roethlisberger loves big wideouts. Evans and Benjamin might be on the board at No. 15. What the Steelers will watch in Indy: Did Johnny Manziel make Evans or vice versa? Is Benjamin fast enough?

RYAN SHAZIER, LB, 6-1, 230, Ohio State.

TROY NIKLAS, TE, 6-6, 270, Notre Dame. The Steelers missed out on the Irish's Tyler Eifert last year, but Niklas could be there when they draft in the second round. Can block and is athletic. Doesn't have great speed, but Heath Miller doesn't, either. What the Steelers will be watching in Indy: As fast as Niklas is developing, how much more upside does he have?

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5612485-74/steelers-round-safety#axzz2tlG5UbPK

Interesting list of players. I'm not a big fan of a few. Don't know where he pulled it from. Niklas is a guy I would think would be there well into R2.

Mike Mayock thinks the Steelers will show little interest in Nix at 1.15. He named someone he thinks the Steelers will like, however. Kyle Fuller. Surprising to hear him talked about so high. I like Fuller, but at 1.15?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/02/mike-mayock-cold-on-louis-nix-for-the-steelers-hot-on-kyle-fuller/

I like those choices. I like Shazier's game but it's tough when you're that size.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, at this point I still have yet to place a value on Dix. I don't see anything that suggests ability to compare with Earl Thomas, not even remotely. In all honestly from what I have seen thus far he'd be lucky to be projected to Kareem Jackson's level of success. I have much to go through as far as other games but in about two weeks I should revisit Bama to get more of an opinion.

Troy Niklas is an inline stud and is great at blocking in space. He has great size, and decent hands. Expect Joseph Fauria type separation and the more he works at his routes and technique that should improve. At the very least he is a much better version of Matt Spaeth. He was and is ready to come out for this draft and it was one of the few very good decisions to do so.

Im not sure if Jace Amaro has ever attempted block inline. He is a big mismatch once he gets a ball in space, bubble screens, quick outs etc and can block DB's in space. Getting open and creating space has not been a recognizable strength however.

There is little to complain about Dennard, the only concern would be upside. How much room is there to improve?

If Jason Verrett were 5'11 he'd probably be a top 10 pick from the little I have seen. It doesn't take a lot of film to realize his start stop ability to get in and out of breaks. He should be a blanket nickel/slot corner. His most crucial number will actually be the vert rather than his height.

...you have a forum resume?
SlevinKelevra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
To be honest, at this point I still have yet to place a value on Dix. I don't see anything that suggests ability to compare with Earl Thomas, not even remotely. In all honestly from what I have seen thus far he'd be lucky to be projected to Kareem Jackson's level of success. I have much to go through as far as other games but in about two weeks I should revisit Bama to get more of an opinion.

Troy Niklas is an inline stud and is great at blocking in space. He has great size, and decent hands. Expect Joseph Fauria type separation and the more he works at his routes and technique that should improve. At the very least he is a much better version of Matt Spaeth. He was and is ready to come out for this draft and it was one of the few very good decisions to do so.

Im not sure if Jace Amaro has ever attempted block inline. He is a big mismatch once he gets a ball in space, bubble screens, quick outs etc and can block DB's in space. Getting open and creating space has not been a recognizable strength however.

There is little to complain about Dennard, the only concern would be upside. How much room is there to improve?

If Jason Verrett were 5'11 he'd probably be a top 10 pick from the little I have seen. It doesn't take a lot of film to realize his start stop ability to get in and out of breaks. He should be a blanket nickel/slot corner. His most crucial number will actually be the vert rather than his height.

Verrett has amazing ball skills. Whoever drafts him will be lucky.

Benjamin measured in att 6'5 legit and 34 inch arms. Vertical will tell the tale. I expect a 13' highpoint.

Logan Thomas--- almost 11" hands and 6'6 legit. Late round conversion back to TE ?
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Logan Thomas raw skills but as an NFL Talent, I don't know if he'll ever be special. He might be a good pratice squad player that allows teams to use their 'gadgets' and prepare for different aspects of the game but beyond that, I mean honestly, I just haven't seen enough from him to believe he's going to be anything to get overjoyed about.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
miamisteeler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Quote:

"HA HA CLINTON-DIX, S, 6-0, 210, Alabama. Is being compared to Seahawks safety Earl Thomas. The Steelers have drafted only one safety in the first round in 44 years — Troy Polamalu — but they'll likely have two new starting safeties by 2015. Dix has excellent coverage skills, a Steelers secondary weakness last season. What the Steelers will watch in Indy: Can they take a cornerback or wideout in the first round and possibly get big-hitter safety Calvin Pryor (6-1, 210) of Louisville in the second round?

MIKE EVANS, WR, 6-4, 225, Texas A&M and KELVIN BENJAMIN, WR, 6-4, 230, Florida State. The Steelers badly need a big, cornerback-shedding wide receiver to complement Antonio Brown, and Roethlisberger loves big wideouts. Evans and Benjamin might be on the board at No. 15. What the Steelers will watch in Indy: Did Johnny Manziel make Evans or vice versa? Is Benjamin fast enough?"

I would be very happy with either of these two in the first.
DR43

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would LOVE Ha Ha or DD in the first.

We would be knocking out a huge position of need with what could still be the best player on the board. Plus, the NFL nowadays favors the passing game. We really cannot afford to have our DBs in the state that they're in at the moment.

Mike Evans would be good too. A tall WR would really help but I would still favor one of the two I listed above.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: