Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Combine Mock 2/19/14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjaneer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Combine Mock 2/19/14 Reply with quote

Combine Mock 2/19/14

Players picked based on updated CBS Sports rankings (2/16/14) located here:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/all

Pick 16 is on the clock and the first 15 picks were dominated by mostly QBs and offensive line. WR Marquise Lee from USC sits there for the taking and Jerry fields a call from a familiar foe, Trent Baalke, the GM of the 49ers. Last year, the 49ers took the Cowboys for a ride, as far as trade value goes, getting only #30 and #80 for #18. This year, knowing how desperate they want speed at the WR position and what a great value Lee is at 16, Jerry gets the favor returned and nets #30 and #61 for the Cowboys first round pick. Everyone is happy at the end of the day.

30- (from 49ers) Trent Murphy DE Stanford
Dallas cut ties with Demarcus Ware for age, injury and CAP reasons and needs to field a strong pass-rush in order to have any chance at all of improving on three consecutive 8-8 seasons. Murphy plays all over the field as a LDE, RDE and hybrid pass rusher. Marinelli could have fun with this guy as he molds him into the next QB killer for the Cowboys.

47- Dominique Easley DT Florida
Easley has had an injury history, like Kony Ealy with his knees and slides to the second round because of it. He has all the tools to be an excellent three technique DT in this defense if he can stay healthy. Jerry rolls the dice again.

61- (from 49ers) Will Sutton DT Arizona State
The importance of the three technique position, causes Dallas to make another shrewd move to pickup Arizona State's pass rushing DT, Will Sutton, who slid from late first round consideration to the late second round because his off-season, so far, has gone the wrong way. He didnt impress at the Senior Bowl and showed up 15 lbs. heavier than he played in 2013. Marinelli needs this position to be a strength, so getting Sutton's weight in order will be a priority. When on his game, Sutton is a force.

78- Demarcus Lawrence DE Boise State
Continuing with the trend of re-building this defensive line, Jerry takes Lawrence who finished the 2013 season with 72 tackles (39 solos), 10 1/2 sacks and three forced fumbles. He, like Murphy, can be lined up all over the field and specializes in getting to the QB. At 6'3" and 243 lbs, he figures to add a few pounds and play primarily at the RDE spot behind Trent Murphy.

115- Christian Jones LB FSU
The first pick taken outside of the defensive line is Jones, who will be a real strength in the linebacker depth chart. He can play inside and out, like DeVonte Holloman and make Marinelli and Eberflus rest a little easier at night should something happen to a starter again in 2014. He could be an eventual starter as well.

146- Jon Halapio OG Florida
Halapio is a true right guard prospect who road grades in the running game and has quick enough feet to stay true in pass blocking. The hope is for Halapio to be the future at RG when its time for the aging and oft injured Mackenzy Bernedeau to hit the bricks.

206- Shamar Stephen DT Connecticut
Shamar projects to be a one technique DT in this 4-3 defense. His size and power will offer a rotating complement to incumbent starter Nick Hayden.

208- Pat O'Donnell P Miami
Regarded as one of the best punters in the country, Pat will offer a big upgrade in the field position game over the now unrestricted free agent Chris Jones.

215- Trey Millard FB/H-Back Oklahoma
Bryan Broaddus refers to Millard as one of the best football players in the country. If we ever want to get a good, sustained running game going, we'll need one of these guys. Garrett will approve, because he can also catch out of the backfield. Millard suffered a season-ending injury against Texas Tech on Oct. 26, causing his projected 6th round stock to drop. Dallas gets a gem here.

***At the end of the seventh round, Dallas is projected to receive three comp picks. The picks will be announced in March at the owners meetings.

COMP 1- Ty Zimmerman FS Kansas State
Wilcox will need a backup and the oft injured Matt Johnson can't be counted on. This is an insurance pick.

COMP 2- Jonathan Harrison C/G Florida
The versatile Harrison joins his former team mate Jon Halapio as depth on the young offensive line.

COMP 3- Trai Turner OG LSU
His comparison to current left guard Ron Leary is what did it for me. He is a punishing run blocker, who needs to work on his pass protection. He could backup Leary, who has a degenerative knee condition.

Projected 53 Man Roster:

QB: Romo, Orton, *UDFA
RB: Murray, Dunbar, Randle, *Millard
TE: Witten, Escobar, Hanna
WR: Bryant, Williams, Beasley, *FA, Harris
LT: T.Smith, Weems
LG: Leary, *Turner
C: Frederick, *Harrison
RG: Bernedeau, *Halapio
RT: Free, Parnell

RDE: *Murphy, *Lawrence
3 tech DT: *Easley, *Sutton
1 tech DT: Hayden, *Stephen
LDE: Selvie, Crawford, E.Brown
WIL: Carter, *FA
MIC: Lee, *C.Jones
SAM: Wilber, Holloman
FS: Wilcox, Johnson, *Zimmerman
SS: Church, Heath
CB: Carr, Scandrick, Claiborne, Moore, Webb

K: Bailey
P: *O'Donnell
LS: Ladouceur
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had me at Christian Jones.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
muncy54

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im n
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:

Glad everyone is on board with this guy right now in Dallas.

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
DreamEater53

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this mock. And honestly, if this happened in real life, I would be smitten, but lets just be honest for a second. This is a pipe dream. Drafting 4 D-linemen in a row? I highly doubt the Cowboys higher ups would put that huge a priority into the DL. While we all know how much we need it, I just can't see them going 4 straight picks into the DL.

Again though, I would absolutely LOVE if anything close to this happened. I also love Christian Jones, which apparently I'm not alone on that one! Well done!
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSTE92 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

Glad everyone is on board with this guy right now in Dallas.

I've been riding that bandwagon for most of the season. I really like him and Ryan Shazier as Tampa-2 OLBs. They're both great fits in that scheme.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont like Sutton in the 2nd round...and Murphy isnt a bad fit i just dont see him being a "wow" player and would rather have a guy like OLB Ryan Shazier...now he is a stud. Give me guys like Kelsey Quarles and Kareem Martin over Sutton and Lawrence. Keep Easley and Jones right where they are but find me a another big WR or a guy like WR Josh Huff in round 5.

Peace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: