Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pre-Combine--Rank your 1st Rd Choice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Pre-Combine--Rank your 1st Rd Choice Reply with quote

Before the Combine workouts, thought it'd be interesting to rank your top 10 favorite choices for our 1st Rd pick (realistic, basically, not including Clowney, Watkins, etc.) and see how/if that changes between now and the week before the draft. Thought it would be neat to revisit the lists then. Here are mine:

Eric Ebron, TE, UNC
Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan St.
Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FSU
Jace Amaro, TE, Tx Tech
CJ Mosely, ILB, Bama
Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville
Marqise Lee, WR, USC
Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Bama
Louis Nix, NT, ND
Taylor Lewan, LT, Mich

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FSU
Eric Ebron, TE, UNC
Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma St.
Louis Nix, NT, ND
Jace Amaro, TE, Tx Tech
CJ Mosely, ILB, Bama
Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville
Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan St.
Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Bama

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
treat88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play, but there's no way I can come up with 10 guys I want at 15. I'd split it up this way.

Picks I would be excited about:
Ha Ha Dix
Eric Ebron
Mike Evans
Kelvin Benjamin

Picks I would understand:
Cyrus Kouandijo
CJ Mosley
Louis Nix
Darqueze Dennard
Dee Ford
Anthony Barr
Rashede Hageman (I'd get it, but I'd be pissed)

For the record, I think Mosley is probably the single most talented player on this list, I just can't get on board with the position.

Also, I understand Barr is widely projected to go long before our spot, I just don't believe he is quite as special as most and think he will land in our vicinity pick wise.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
I'll play, but there's no way I can come up with 10 guys I want at 15. I'd split it up this way.

Picks I would be excited about:
Ha Ha Dix
Eric Ebron
Mike Evans
Kelvin Benjamin

Picks I would understand:
Cyrus Kouandijo
CJ Mosley
Louis Nix
Darqueze Dennard
Dee Ford
Anthony Barr
Rashede Hageman (I'd get it, but I'd be pissed)

For the record, I think Mosley is probably the single most talented player on this list, I just can't get on board with the position.

Also, I understand Barr is widely projected to go long before our spot, I just don't believe he is quite as special as most and think he will land in our vicinity pick wise.

Your list looks a lot like mine, treat. The only thing different is I would be quite pissed if we took Nix or Kouandjo.

Nix may be a pretty good pro but I just don't see the 3-4 NT as a position with a future in the NFL, at least not until the cycle shifts back to power running. Kouandjo is my least favorite OT. I like Lewan and Moses quite a bit more.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider some of these guys 2nd round players, so...

1. Eric Ebron - I have him 1 because I think when it's said and done pretty much every team in the league is going to have him in the middle of R1 or higher on their boards.
2. Kelvin Benjamin - #2 because I think teams are going to disagree on where to rank him. How he runs will determine a lot. It's possible he goes in the 2nd round.
3. Dennard - High position of need.
4. Cyrus Kyuandijo - High ceiling. Could slide him up to 3. Still a position that could use strengthening.
5. Kony Early - I always prefer to see the combine for pass rushers. I'm assuming Barr/Mack are both off the board. Still has a very high ceiling.
6. Hageman

Honorable mention - Aaron Donald. If the first three guys weren't there, I'd consider it and find a way to make it work later if I couldn't trade down or someone unexpected didn't drop. I'm not even that high on Dennard.

I'm not a fan of Mosley at all. Especially for a 3-4.

Just judging the players, there aren't many guys I like at 1.15. I'd grab someone like Van Noy, Amaro, Beckham, Roby etc. before I'd probably take Hageman. I feel better about their long term prospects as players despite probably being poor 'value.' Amaro being the exception because he should go in the 20's.

The only real value I see at 1.15 is at the TE/WR position. It's not even about the fact that I want a big receiving target.
treat88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
The only real value I see at 1.15 is at the TE/WR position. It's not even about the fact that I want a big receiving target.

I see it as the polar opposite.

I think the depth at receiver, both TE and WR, is amazing this season. It's very plausible to take another position of need in the first and still get an excellent receiving prospect in the second, as you say possibly even Benjamin.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
mwalker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how you did that so...

Players I'd be excited about...

E.Ebron
J.Gilbert
C.Mosley
L.Nix (not my choice, but I'd understand)
H.Dix
M.Lee

Players that would be hard to argue with...

M.Evans - (I'm not as big a fan, but if he tears it up at the combine...)
D.Dennard
T.Lewan
C.Kouandijo
R.Hageman

Players I think would be a reach at 15

J.Amaro
K.Benjamin
C.Pryor
A.S-Jenkins
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think the depth at receiver, both TE and WR, is amazing this season. It's very plausible to take another position of need in the first and still get an excellent receiving prospect in the second, as you say possibly even Benjamin.

Possibly Benjamin is the key. I think he has a higher ceiling than the other 'large' WR's maybe with an exception or two.

I would also argue that the TE position is pretty thin in this draft.

Beyond that, the other guys who look to be there at 1.15 are either valued lower or just not as good of players. I defy anyone who tell me why a guy like Haha is even a better safety prospect than the guys beneath him, let alone should be valued at 1.15.

Same thing with the two CB's. I like guys in later rounds MORE than those players. Why would I want to grab one at 1.15?

I think Mosley is a marginal player who poorly fits this defense. I think a guy like Van Noy could be had in R2 is a better player, so why would I want him?

If I had another guy at 1.15 I loved and rated as highly as Benjamin in a deep WR class, I'm not taking either over that guy. But I don't see that a 1.15 right now.

So, that's my logic. The WR position is deep, but they are also just better players than a lot of the guys being discussed. I realize people have very different opinions of the ability draft prospects have, so I'm not saying I'm absolutely right.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.ILB CJ Molsey
2.S HaSean Clinton-Dix
3.OLB Dee Ford
4.WR Jarvis Landry
5.WR O'dell Beckham Jr
6.CB Kyle Fuller
7.WR Kelvin Benjamin
8.OG Gabe Jackson
9.OLB Jeremiah Attaochu
10.DE Aaron Donald
treat88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
So, that's my logic. The WR position is deep, but they are also just better players than a lot of the guys being discussed. I realize people have very different opinions of the ability draft prospects have, so I'm not saying I'm absolutely right.

That's a fair response, and I'm certainly not arguing that my valuation of prospects is any better than anyone else's.

While I see the size and mismatch upside that Evans and Benjamin offer, I still question their actual WR skills enough that I don't consider them solid 1st round WRs. For me, Watkins is the only, unquestionable 1st round WR in the class. I would be excited by the potential that Evans and Benjamin bring to the table, and I do think that potential represents the one element the O is missing, but I don't think they are uniquely skilled as WR's. Really, they are just bigger than the other guys this year.

So, I can see the logic in wanting to go another way in the first and pair that with what I see as similarly talented WR's if only a little less acclaimed due to size. Beckham, Landry, Mathews, Lee, Robinson, Cooks, etc.

As far as TE's go Ebron, Amaro, ASJ, Fiedorowiscz, Nicklas are all pretty solid 1st thru 3rd round prospects...which is a pretty big number for the spot. Lots of less heralded guys I like from Grimble to Rodgers to Lynch. I don't know seems like a very deep class for receiving TE's. I absolutely agree that their aren't many complete, 2 way prospects here tho.

I don't think Dix and Mosley are elite prospects. I do consider them solid top 20 prospects tho...lots of good fodder for discussion leading into the draft for sure.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Blake Bortles
2. Aaron Murray
3. Everyone else.

But since that wont happen and we are stuck with that scrub Big Ben....

Eric Ebron
Darqueze Dennard
Rashade Hageman

Honestly, those are the only 3 Id be super excited about...unless, of course, a guy like Barr or Mack feel, which will never happen.

The only projected first rounders I want nothing to do with are Nix and Koujinado (sp). Dont want Lewan either. In fact, Id be pretty upset with any OLineman in the first round.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Darqueze Dennard
2. Eric Ebron
3. Justin Gilbert
4. Jace Amaro
5. CJ Mosley
6. Ha Ha Dix
7. Kelvin Benjamin
8. Marquise Lee
9. Aaron Donald
10. Ra'Shede Hageman

Kyle Fuller definitely a player to watch could shoot up draft boards ahead of Dennard and Gilbert.

Last edited by SteelProven on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. WR Mike Evans
2. WR Kelvin Benjamin
3. CB Darqueze Dennard
4. CB Justin Gilbert
5. OT Taylor Lewan
6. S HaHa Clinton-Dix
7. NT Louis Nix
8. DE Rashade Hageman
9. S Calvin Pryor
10. OLB Anthony Barr

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
95lloyd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see the value at #15 unless someone like Barr or Mack falls.

So I'll base mine on us trading back into the 20's.

1. ILB Mosely
2. WR Benjamin
3. S Pryor
4. CB Fuller (when it is all said and done I think he'll be the guy we pick)
5. TE Ebron

To be perfectly honest I'm more excited about the prospects in the 2nd-5th rounds than anyone from the first.
rollins

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following payers have been taken since they are assumed to be far gone by pick 15....Clowney, Barr, Mack, Watkins, Robinson, and Mathews.

Here is my list from the rest of the prospects

1. Ebron
2. Evans
3. Gilbert
4. Nix
5. Dennard
6. Lee
7. Mosley
8. Benjamin
9. Hageman
10. Clinton-Dix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: