Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gee Men's Attempt at Mock/FA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Gee Men's Attempt at Mock/FA Reply with quote

I am not too familiar with all of the dudes in the draft but here's my shot: (Linval Joseph walks a la Cofield too expensive), as does Nicks, Andre Brown (sorry Dre, too many injury issues), Ross, Rhino, Cordle, Herzy, Bear, Murphy, Painter, :

First our own FA, I'd like to see us sign: Beason, Tuck, Josh Brown, Kevin Boothe, Stevie Brown, , McBride, T2, Paysinger (for specials), Mike Patterson, Mundy, Rogers, Hillis, (from Stevie Brown to Hillis all 1 year deals).

Goners: CWeb, Myers, Snee, Baas and Kiwi.

Welcome to the NY Football Giants:
Top Tier multi-year FAs
Sam Shields CB 4 year deal (love this kid!!! He, Prince, McBride in slot, T2 in dime and Hosely as depth with Trel, Hill, Brown, Mundy as our Safetys [I'd count Cooper as a LB] would be a mean secondary).
Knowshon Moreno RB 4 year deal;
Jon Asomoan RG 5 year deal-- he take Snee's money.
Jason Worilds SAM, 4 year deal (would love to steal this kid from Steeler nation-- absolute animal). They have cap issues and a big Woodley contract. He takes Kiwi's money and can get to the QB!!!!
Evan D-Smith, C; 4 year deal-- he takes Baas' money!!
Ed Dickson, TE 3 year deal (good blocking/receiving TE he take Myers' money)

Depth/ST FAs

Mario Manningham, WR (1 year prove healthy);
Ryan Harris T zone blocking assuming Mcadoo will employ it (1 year deal);
Willie Colon, LG (1 year deal),
Ted Ginn, WR/PR/KR (1 year deal).

Rolle's contract should be extended to reduce cap number.

Welcome New Rooks:
1) Mike Evans, WR. Evans is a big "possession" receiver that will fit well if Mcadoo employs a west coast type of system. He's got good hands and can get down field. Plax-type target and we all know Eli isn't the most accurate so height/wingspan helps. He could also be the answer to Green Zone problems. Ideally, I'd like to see the Giants trade down to pick up some more picks but this kid could replace Nicks' production.

2) Shane Skov, LB, Standford. This is kid is a stud. Beason, Skov and Worilds (with Quan in on Nickel) would be an outstanding LB Corp to go with a mean secondary. And with the big boys upfront, no one could run on us! He would be insurance if Beason was ever injured and would be our Mike of the future.

3) Dominque Easley, DE, Florida. Kid slips because of knee injury but he may be the better player than Clowney because of his motor. Could be the steal of the draft.

4) Stanely Jean-Baptise, CB, Neb. A converted CB from WR a la Richard Sherman, Baptise has good raw capability (although his tackling is a bit suspect) he always finds his way around the ball. If he can gain some strength, with is length and athleticism he could be a nice gem.

5) Marcus Martin, C, USC. Marcus started as a guard and later moved to Center. He is pretty athletic and fits best in a ZBS (assuming that's where Mcadoo is going). He is a typical Giants draftee having flexibility to play different position).

6) Raijun Neal, RB, TENN. Kid is a physical RB with decent hands and could add depth if Hillis gets hurt as is often the case. He coud develop into a bellcow or short yardage back.

Have at it gents...

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
Acgott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is all this money coming from?
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
Where is all this money coming from?

Good question. Today, the Giants are about 13+ under the cap with an exPected bump up. The "high ticket" FAs replace the existing high salaries as indicated and the 1 year deals are vet minimum deals considering there are many current FAs that I referenced that would not be signed. It's aggressive for sure but if you assign projected dollars to it it isnt too nuts.

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
WiscoBlue21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan...I would like us to keep Dre, Tuck, Beason, Linval, Boothe

I'm not opposed to drafting Mike Evans only if we can take care of our own and take care of our O-line first.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiscoBlue21 wrote:

I'm not opposed to drafting Mike Evans only if we can take care of our own and take care of our O-line first.

I agree. Boothe brings way too much versatility to let him go and he will be cheap. He has been a trooper anchoring the line the past few years.

I've sort of accepted we may not be able to afford Linval. Someone like Oakland has $60M in cap space. Not a chance we can play like that.

I don't want Evans in the first. If we fix the OL in FA, which we do according to this mock. We should draft defense... especially DL. A DT and a DE are important. We could also use a CB. And a TE/WR and a RB.

Honestly, if we get EDS and Asamoah to anchor the line.. I'd call FA a win. It would allow us to focus on other areas in the draft, give Eli some protection, and open up the run game.

Good job though, I can tell you put a lot of time in this. Moreno is a good all-around back. Nothing flashy at all but great in pass protection.
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
WiscoBlue21 wrote:

I agree. Boothe brings way too much versatility to let him go and he will be cheap. He has been a trooper anchoring the line the past few years.

I've sort of accepted we may not be able to afford Linval. Someone like Oakland has $60M in cap space. Not a chance we can play like that.

I don't want Evans in the first. If we fix the OL in FA, which we do according to this mock. We should draft defense... especially DL. A DT and a DE are important. We could also use a CB. And a TE/WR and a RB.

Honestly, if we get EDS and Asamoah to anchor the line.. I'd call FA a win. It would allow us to focus on other areas in the draft, give Eli some protection, and open up the run game.

Good job though, I can tell you put a lot of time in this. Moreno is a good all-around back. Nothing flashy at all but great in pass protection.

Andre Brown is just too unreliable given his injury history and his pass pro isn't that great. I like Boothe but he will be more expensive to keep and he is about average. I thought of defense in 1st but DL is actually weak IMHO. I'd take a corner but in my offseason we added Shields and brought back our DBs (McBride, T2, ) Hosely still around -- that's 5 CBs with Rolle, Stevie Brown, Hill, Mundy. Plenty of DBs for the roster (counting Cooper as a LB/S.)

We're very thin at WR. I think (if we don't trade down and assuming we make a splash on OL in FA) our pick will be. a WR. Especially with Nicks likely moving along. Also, given Eli's inaccuracy-- a big playmaking type WR will be helpful-- especially in Green Zone.

Desperado82 wrote:
Harbinger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Evans will always be a great pick. Keep doing it. I love SJB too but I don't think he lasts to the 4th.

I also don't see where this money is coming from.
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbinger wrote:
Mike Evans will always be a great pick. Keep doing it. I love SJB too but I don't think he lasts to the 4th.

Yea, it is way aggressive and un-Giants-like. But I think aside from the 13MM+ (Correction-- Giants may be as much a 18MM )under the cap without extending Rolle the cap is projected go up another 7MM. 25MM is alot. That also doesn't take into account if Snee, Baas (and/or Kiwi) get cut. That would be a ton of cap space.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/2/21/5432242/nfl-salary-cap-130-million-new-york-giants-nfl-free-agency

Seems like there would be plenty of capspace. RBs not named Peterson are a dime a dozen so i Think Moreno won't be expensive. Shields and Aso would be decent salaries but everyone else won't break the bank.

But I rather focus on the mocked draft than FAs Very Happy

Desperado82 wrote:
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbinger wrote:

I usually am not a fan of "highlight" videos but this one of Mike Evans stood out to me for a couple of reasons. First, Evans is the ultimate "jump ball" receiving WR. I won't say he's Megatron but he clearly uses his basketball skills effectively. We know Eli loved throwing it up to Plax and this kid can open up the underneath stuff to Cruz/jerns amd RR could get plenty of one on ones. Evans is accustomed to the down-the - field offense Eli was accustomed to with Killdrive and I recently read Coughlin say that Big Mac will still employ down-the - field identity. Makes Evans a good fit.

Second, i am impressed that this kid is experienced in back-shoulder recognition. Eli and Plax made a living off of it (see GB playoff game at Lambeau) and for some reason Eli and Nicks were not consistent on back shoulder. RR was responsible for like 6 Eli INTs it seemed off back shoulder type plays. This kid is very comfortable and is very athletic so his body control is very good. He also has a short game (screens), a medium game (slants) and long game (go routes). I think if he's available he's our pick. Makes too much sense and cheaper than filling position in FA.

http://youtu.be/Qr3I_CbwoXY

Desperado82 wrote:
Harbinger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right we do have cap space to work with but we have guys like Tuck, Beason, Linval, McBride, etc that need deals.

I like the aggressive approach to free agency for sure I'm not sure it's feasible. But the cap is so complicated I'm probably wrong.

However I do think I'd spend top dollar for Alex Mack which would solve a lot of problems with one move.
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think B/R has been on FF looking at my mock.... Almost verbatim. Go get Evans Reese.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1971027-nfl-mock-draft-2014-breaking-down-picks-1-through-32

Desperado82 wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: