Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alterraun Verner
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Titans fan 617


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 10120
Location: BeanTown
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwNaGe wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
This is why we will NEVER win the Superbowl. We always re-sign the players we shouldn't and we let go of the talent.


I lol'd.. Name the players we should've resigned that went on to have successful careers..... I'll wait.



What you forget is that those players did not have successful careers after moving out of TN because they did not fit the system of their new teams. That is one reason why successful teams build through the draft, not through FA. If you think for a moment that Verner is not a player we should re-sign, you should have your head examined. He went to the pro-bowl. He at one point, led the NFL in INTs. He is well on his way to playing at top level consistently if he was to play for TN.


Your not getting the point, no one in this forum is saying DON'T RESIGN VERNER!!!! Twisted Evil

The problem is the money, do you think he is a better player than McCourty? If you say yes then you need your head examined. Verner played well for the majority of last season and is a valuable #2 corner. Looking at comparable contracts, look at Tim Jennings for the Bears he has been to back to back Pro Bowls and he just signed a deal for 4yrs/$22.4M with about half of if guaranteed (I understand he is older than Verner). I would be fine with that deal, I would even go to a 5th year and go to around 5yrs/$30M which would make him the 15 highest paid corner and likely the highest paid #2 corner. I would not exceed an AAV of $6.5M for Verner, period. It really does not help Verner that DeAngelo Hall was just signed for 4yrs/$17M, now granted they are different players but both the Hall and Jennings deals are closer to what I want.....

However I am sure some team will come out with an offer of 6yr/$50-55M and that would make him one of the highest paid corners in the NFL. Probably Oakland, Minnesota or Jacksonville who have insane amounts of money to play with.


I get that he does not warrant number 1 money. But seriously, you guys are playing it off like it's no big deal to lose a player of his caliber. Yes OF HIS CALIBER. He is a legit corner. Don't play it off like he's not important. GET MAD ABOUT IT! I certaintly will be WHEN we let him walk because I know this team's track record. I saw some posts saying lol, when his replacement let's a WR catch a ball you will say told you so or something to that effect. Dang right we will be critical of his replacement. I want the Titans organization to know that the fans are tired of being an average football team. Re-sign our talent, let the others walk.


You still claim we've let talented players get away but you still haven't named a player. You say this organization doesn't pay their own players yet they just payed McCourty. They payed CJ. They payed Griffin. What am I missing? Who was worth a damn that they let go recently or within the past 5 or so years? No one. Verner situation is simple. We've already got money locked into the secondary and our best player on the whole team is due for a "BIG" contract after next season. Would you rather pay Verner and have two good CBs and let Casey slip away because we invested too much money in the secondary. I sure as hell don't. It's common sense. No one said he sucked or anything like that. He has limitations of course but no one has said he sucked or isn't worth a payday. He's worth more than we can afford. It's that simple.


Bold- LOL Laughing

Albert Haynesworth comes to mind.


Griffin an CJ wernt epic failures like Haynesworth was Haynesworth did nothing for Wash Tampa or NE atleast CJ an Griffin helped win ball games
_________________

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS
*2011

Shaun Phillips: 11 Tackles 7 Assist 2 Sack

Ropati Pitoitua: 12 Tackles 11 Assist 2 Sack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Iceman88


Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 8492
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwNaGe wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
This is why we will NEVER win the Superbowl. We always re-sign the players we shouldn't and we let go of the talent.


I lol'd.. Name the players we should've resigned that went on to have successful careers..... I'll wait.



What you forget is that those players did not have successful careers after moving out of TN because they did not fit the system of their new teams. That is one reason why successful teams build through the draft, not through FA. If you think for a moment that Verner is not a player we should re-sign, you should have your head examined. He went to the pro-bowl. He at one point, led the NFL in INTs. He is well on his way to playing at top level consistently if he was to play for TN.


Your not getting the point, no one in this forum is saying DON'T RESIGN VERNER!!!! Twisted Evil

The problem is the money, do you think he is a better player than McCourty? If you say yes then you need your head examined. Verner played well for the majority of last season and is a valuable #2 corner. Looking at comparable contracts, look at Tim Jennings for the Bears he has been to back to back Pro Bowls and he just signed a deal for 4yrs/$22.4M with about half of if guaranteed (I understand he is older than Verner). I would be fine with that deal, I would even go to a 5th year and go to around 5yrs/$30M which would make him the 15 highest paid corner and likely the highest paid #2 corner. I would not exceed an AAV of $6.5M for Verner, period. It really does not help Verner that DeAngelo Hall was just signed for 4yrs/$17M, now granted they are different players but both the Hall and Jennings deals are closer to what I want.....

However I am sure some team will come out with an offer of 6yr/$50-55M and that would make him one of the highest paid corners in the NFL. Probably Oakland, Minnesota or Jacksonville who have insane amounts of money to play with.


I get that he does not warrant number 1 money. But seriously, you guys are playing it off like it's no big deal to lose a player of his caliber. Yes OF HIS CALIBER. He is a legit corner. Don't play it off like he's not important. GET MAD ABOUT IT! I certaintly will be WHEN we let him walk because I know this team's track record. I saw some posts saying lol, when his replacement let's a WR catch a ball you will say told you so or something to that effect. Dang right we will be critical of his replacement. I want the Titans organization to know that the fans are tired of being an average football team. Re-sign our talent, let the others walk.


You still claim we've let talented players get away but you still haven't named a player. You say this organization doesn't pay their own players yet they just payed McCourty. They payed CJ. They payed Griffin. What am I missing? Who was worth a damn that they let go recently or within the past 5 or so years? No one. Verner situation is simple. We've already got money locked into the secondary and our best player on the whole team is due for a "BIG" contract after next season. Would you rather pay Verner and have two good CBs and let Casey slip away because we invested too much money in the secondary. I sure as hell don't. It's common sense. No one said he sucked or anything like that. He has limitations of course but no one has said he sucked or isn't worth a payday. He's worth more than we can afford. It's that simple.


Bold- LOL Laughing

Albert Haynesworth comes to mind.


Wow thats your example......because you know he went on to have a HOF career and is still keeping us wishing we never let him out of Nashville. He had one decent season in 09, but after that he had maybe 30 tackles in 3 years. I consider letting Albert walk one of the smartest decisions this franchise has ever made.
_________________

Props to Kempes ^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VYoung10


Joined: 02 Oct 2008
Posts: 9154
Location: Billings-406
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman88 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
This is why we will NEVER win the Superbowl. We always re-sign the players we shouldn't and we let go of the talent.


I lol'd.. Name the players we should've resigned that went on to have successful careers..... I'll wait.



What you forget is that those players did not have successful careers after moving out of TN because they did not fit the system of their new teams. That is one reason why successful teams build through the draft, not through FA. If you think for a moment that Verner is not a player we should re-sign, you should have your head examined. He went to the pro-bowl. He at one point, led the NFL in INTs. He is well on his way to playing at top level consistently if he was to play for TN.


Your not getting the point, no one in this forum is saying DON'T RESIGN VERNER!!!! Twisted Evil

The problem is the money, do you think he is a better player than McCourty? If you say yes then you need your head examined. Verner played well for the majority of last season and is a valuable #2 corner. Looking at comparable contracts, look at Tim Jennings for the Bears he has been to back to back Pro Bowls and he just signed a deal for 4yrs/$22.4M with about half of if guaranteed (I understand he is older than Verner). I would be fine with that deal, I would even go to a 5th year and go to around 5yrs/$30M which would make him the 15 highest paid corner and likely the highest paid #2 corner. I would not exceed an AAV of $6.5M for Verner, period. It really does not help Verner that DeAngelo Hall was just signed for 4yrs/$17M, now granted they are different players but both the Hall and Jennings deals are closer to what I want.....

However I am sure some team will come out with an offer of 6yr/$50-55M and that would make him one of the highest paid corners in the NFL. Probably Oakland, Minnesota or Jacksonville who have insane amounts of money to play with.


I get that he does not warrant number 1 money. But seriously, you guys are playing it off like it's no big deal to lose a player of his caliber. Yes OF HIS CALIBER. He is a legit corner. Don't play it off like he's not important. GET MAD ABOUT IT! I certaintly will be WHEN we let him walk because I know this team's track record. I saw some posts saying lol, when his replacement let's a WR catch a ball you will say told you so or something to that effect. Dang right we will be critical of his replacement. I want the Titans organization to know that the fans are tired of being an average football team. Re-sign our talent, let the others walk.


You still claim we've let talented players get away but you still haven't named a player. You say this organization doesn't pay their own players yet they just payed McCourty. They payed CJ. They payed Griffin. What am I missing? Who was worth a damn that they let go recently or within the past 5 or so years? No one. Verner situation is simple. We've already got money locked into the secondary and our best player on the whole team is due for a "BIG" contract after next season. Would you rather pay Verner and have two good CBs and let Casey slip away because we invested too much money in the secondary. I sure as hell don't. It's common sense. No one said he sucked or anything like that. He has limitations of course but no one has said he sucked or isn't worth a payday. He's worth more than we can afford. It's that simple.


Bold- LOL Laughing

Albert Haynesworth comes to mind.


Wow thats your example......because you know he went on to have a HOF career and is still keeping us wishing we never let him out of Nashville. He had one decent season in 09, but after that he had maybe 30 tackles in 3 years. I consider letting Albert walk one of the smartest decisions this franchise has ever made.


Now not that i agree with ownage, but, to say he isn't understanding neither are any of you. Sure we let haynesworth go, and he sucked. But, he was a great player while he was here, and had we resigned him, we do not know how good he would have been with us, along with a bunch of other players.
_________________

2014 Adopt a Titan:
Bernard Pollard #31
Marc Mariani #83 - CUT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Iceman88


Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 8492
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
This is why we will NEVER win the Superbowl. We always re-sign the players we shouldn't and we let go of the talent.


I lol'd.. Name the players we should've resigned that went on to have successful careers..... I'll wait.



What you forget is that those players did not have successful careers after moving out of TN because they did not fit the system of their new teams. That is one reason why successful teams build through the draft, not through FA. If you think for a moment that Verner is not a player we should re-sign, you should have your head examined. He went to the pro-bowl. He at one point, led the NFL in INTs. He is well on his way to playing at top level consistently if he was to play for TN.


Your not getting the point, no one in this forum is saying DON'T RESIGN VERNER!!!! Twisted Evil

The problem is the money, do you think he is a better player than McCourty? If you say yes then you need your head examined. Verner played well for the majority of last season and is a valuable #2 corner. Looking at comparable contracts, look at Tim Jennings for the Bears he has been to back to back Pro Bowls and he just signed a deal for 4yrs/$22.4M with about half of if guaranteed (I understand he is older than Verner). I would be fine with that deal, I would even go to a 5th year and go to around 5yrs/$30M which would make him the 15 highest paid corner and likely the highest paid #2 corner. I would not exceed an AAV of $6.5M for Verner, period. It really does not help Verner that DeAngelo Hall was just signed for 4yrs/$17M, now granted they are different players but both the Hall and Jennings deals are closer to what I want.....

However I am sure some team will come out with an offer of 6yr/$50-55M and that would make him one of the highest paid corners in the NFL. Probably Oakland, Minnesota or Jacksonville who have insane amounts of money to play with.


I get that he does not warrant number 1 money. But seriously, you guys are playing it off like it's no big deal to lose a player of his caliber. Yes OF HIS CALIBER. He is a legit corner. Don't play it off like he's not important. GET MAD ABOUT IT! I certaintly will be WHEN we let him walk because I know this team's track record. I saw some posts saying lol, when his replacement let's a WR catch a ball you will say told you so or something to that effect. Dang right we will be critical of his replacement. I want the Titans organization to know that the fans are tired of being an average football team. Re-sign our talent, let the others walk.


You still claim we've let talented players get away but you still haven't named a player. You say this organization doesn't pay their own players yet they just payed McCourty. They payed CJ. They payed Griffin. What am I missing? Who was worth a damn that they let go recently or within the past 5 or so years? No one. Verner situation is simple. We've already got money locked into the secondary and our best player on the whole team is due for a "BIG" contract after next season. Would you rather pay Verner and have two good CBs and let Casey slip away because we invested too much money in the secondary. I sure as hell don't. It's common sense. No one said he sucked or anything like that. He has limitations of course but no one has said he sucked or isn't worth a payday. He's worth more than we can afford. It's that simple.


Bold- LOL Laughing

Albert Haynesworth comes to mind.


Wow thats your example......because you know he went on to have a HOF career and is still keeping us wishing we never let him out of Nashville. He had one decent season in 09, but after that he had maybe 30 tackles in 3 years. I consider letting Albert walk one of the smartest decisions this franchise has ever made.


Now not that i agree with ownage, but, to say he isn't understanding neither are any of you. Sure we let haynesworth go, and he sucked. But, he was a great player while he was here, and had we resigned him, we do not know how good he would have been with us, along with a bunch of other players.


I do understand, and granted we have no idea how it would have turned out if he stayed. But my point there was that our FO regardless has been smart with how they handle free agents. Imagine if we resigned Albert, it would have cost more than $100M over 6years and we would still have been paying him. The point is, we will have interest in Verner up to a certain point when he costs too much. If a team offers him an AAV of $10M then that will be too much.
_________________

Props to Kempes ^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OwNaGe


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 1585
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haynesworth went to a team that did not use him properly. He was not fit for what Washington did. While I do not know how well he would have turned out had he stayed with Tennessee, one thing is clear. We let him go when he was dominating teams. Don't lie, you guys thought he was the best DT in the game at the time. It is also incredibly difficult to replace a dominate DL than it is to replace a running back, even though CJ was coming off a 2k season.

What about Kearse the first time too?
_________________


My Teams:
Football: Titans
College BBall: Kentucky
College FBall: Alabama
Baseball: Braves
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Iceman88


Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 8492
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwNaGe wrote:
Haynesworth went to a team that did not use him properly. He was not fit for what Washington did. While I do not know how well he would have turned out had he stayed with Tennessee, one thing is clear. We let him go when he was dominating teams. Don't lie, you guys thought he was the best DT in the game at the time. It is also incredibly difficult to replace a dominate DL than it is to replace a running back, even though CJ was coming off a 2k season.

What about Kearse the first time too?


I agree with you......Haynesworth was a great player. The question is in 2009 would you have paid him $115M over 6 years? There is no way I would have.

I get that we let a couple of great players go over the past couple of years but largely those decisions have worked out in our favor. The point that I am making is it is all about the money. If Verner is willing to take 5yrs/$33.5M then fine sign me up, I can live with that deal. But if the Oakland Raiders and their $55M+ cap room come in and offer Verner 6yrs/$60M to come home, there is no way I match it. If Minnesota does the same thing there is no way I match it. And if Verner is forced to be the #1 corner he will be mediocre if not bad....If the Vikings sign him and he has to cover Megatron he will get smoked.

Do I want to keep him yes, do I believe he will be a Titan next season...no. Purely because he is human and wants his big pay day and there are a ton of teams in need of a corner that will pay up for him.

Will I be mad if he leaves......Maybe....
If he signs for 4yrs/$25M then yea I will be mad, but if he signs for $6yrs/$60M I will wish him the best and send him on his way.......
_________________

Props to Kempes ^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OwNaGe


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 1585
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman88 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
Haynesworth went to a team that did not use him properly. He was not fit for what Washington did. While I do not know how well he would have turned out had he stayed with Tennessee, one thing is clear. We let him go when he was dominating teams. Don't lie, you guys thought he was the best DT in the game at the time. It is also incredibly difficult to replace a dominate DL than it is to replace a running back, even though CJ was coming off a 2k season.

What about Kearse the first time too?


I agree with you......Haynesworth was a great player. The question is in 2009 would you have paid him $115M over 6 years? There is no way I would have.

I get that we let a couple of great players go over the past couple of years but largely those decisions have worked out in our favor. The point that I am making is it is all about the money. If Verner is willing to take 5yrs/$33.5M then fine sign me up, I can live with that deal. But if the Oakland Raiders and their $55M+ cap room come in and offer Verner 6yrs/$60M to come home, there is no way I match it. If Minnesota does the same thing there is no way I match it. And if Verner is forced to be the #1 corner he will be mediocre if not bad....If the Vikings sign him and he has to cover Megatron he will get smoked.

Do I want to keep him yes, do I believe he will be a Titan next season...no. Purely because he is human and wants his big pay day and there are a ton of teams in need of a corner that will pay up for him.

Will I be mad if he leaves......Maybe....
If he signs for 4yrs/$25M then yea I will be mad, but if he signs for $6yrs/$60M I will wish him the best and send him on his way.......


That's my sentiments as well. Except for the fact I will be upset regardless. I know we can only afford to pay people an x amount of money because of other restraints. I GET THAT. What my problem is, is that it seems that the fan base doesn't care. We have money tied up in players that do not deserve to be here. Wimbley is one that comes to mind. Why are we forced to keep him and let Verner go? I hate that and its so frustrating. Verner is my favorite player on this team and I don't want to lose him lol
_________________


My Teams:
Football: Titans
College BBall: Kentucky
College FBall: Alabama
Baseball: Braves
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Iceman88


Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 8492
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwNaGe wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
Haynesworth went to a team that did not use him properly. He was not fit for what Washington did. While I do not know how well he would have turned out had he stayed with Tennessee, one thing is clear. We let him go when he was dominating teams. Don't lie, you guys thought he was the best DT in the game at the time. It is also incredibly difficult to replace a dominate DL than it is to replace a running back, even though CJ was coming off a 2k season.

What about Kearse the first time too?


I agree with you......Haynesworth was a great player. The question is in 2009 would you have paid him $115M over 6 years? There is no way I would have.

I get that we let a couple of great players go over the past couple of years but largely those decisions have worked out in our favor. The point that I am making is it is all about the money. If Verner is willing to take 5yrs/$33.5M then fine sign me up, I can live with that deal. But if the Oakland Raiders and their $55M+ cap room come in and offer Verner 6yrs/$60M to come home, there is no way I match it. If Minnesota does the same thing there is no way I match it. And if Verner is forced to be the #1 corner he will be mediocre if not bad....If the Vikings sign him and he has to cover Megatron he will get smoked.

Do I want to keep him yes, do I believe he will be a Titan next season...no. Purely because he is human and wants his big pay day and there are a ton of teams in need of a corner that will pay up for him.

Will I be mad if he leaves......Maybe....
If he signs for 4yrs/$25M then yea I will be mad, but if he signs for $6yrs/$60M I will wish him the best and send him on his way.......


That's my sentiments as well. Except for the fact I will be upset regardless. I know we can only afford to pay people an x amount of money because of other restraints. I GET THAT. What my problem is, is that it seems that the fan base doesn't care. We have money tied up in players that do not deserve to be here. Wimbley is one that comes to mind. Why are we forced to keep him and let Verner go? I hate that and its so frustrating. Verner is my favorite player on this team and I don't want to lose him lol


While I dont hold your same love for Verner, I really like him as a player. However, it just seems like the perfect storm to cause him to leave. The problem with Wimbley is that if we cut him we would have to pay him $5M+ to leave or just keep him for $7.8M. The rest of us do care, we just understand that he has a value (regardless of how much we like him) and since he is one of the top corners on the market it will be tough to retain him. Lets hope he likes Tennessee and signs a team friendly option.
_________________

Props to Kempes ^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OwNaGe


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 1585
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman88 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
Haynesworth went to a team that did not use him properly. He was not fit for what Washington did. While I do not know how well he would have turned out had he stayed with Tennessee, one thing is clear. We let him go when he was dominating teams. Don't lie, you guys thought he was the best DT in the game at the time. It is also incredibly difficult to replace a dominate DL than it is to replace a running back, even though CJ was coming off a 2k season.

What about Kearse the first time too?


I agree with you......Haynesworth was a great player. The question is in 2009 would you have paid him $115M over 6 years? There is no way I would have.

I get that we let a couple of great players go over the past couple of years but largely those decisions have worked out in our favor. The point that I am making is it is all about the money. If Verner is willing to take 5yrs/$33.5M then fine sign me up, I can live with that deal. But if the Oakland Raiders and their $55M+ cap room come in and offer Verner 6yrs/$60M to come home, there is no way I match it. If Minnesota does the same thing there is no way I match it. And if Verner is forced to be the #1 corner he will be mediocre if not bad....If the Vikings sign him and he has to cover Megatron he will get smoked.

Do I want to keep him yes, do I believe he will be a Titan next season...no. Purely because he is human and wants his big pay day and there are a ton of teams in need of a corner that will pay up for him.

Will I be mad if he leaves......Maybe....
If he signs for 4yrs/$25M then yea I will be mad, but if he signs for $6yrs/$60M I will wish him the best and send him on his way.......


That's my sentiments as well. Except for the fact I will be upset regardless. I know we can only afford to pay people an x amount of money because of other restraints. I GET THAT. What my problem is, is that it seems that the fan base doesn't care. We have money tied up in players that do not deserve to be here. Wimbley is one that comes to mind. Why are we forced to keep him and let Verner go? I hate that and its so frustrating. Verner is my favorite player on this team and I don't want to lose him lol


While I dont hold your same love for Verner, I really like him as a player. However, it just seems like the perfect storm to cause him to leave. The problem with Wimbley is that if we cut him we would have to pay him $5M+ to leave or just keep him for $7.8M. The rest of us do care, we just understand that he has a value (regardless of how much we like him) and since he is one of the top corners on the market it will be tough to retain him. Lets hope he likes Tennessee and signs a team friendly option.


Bold- I know Sad
_________________


My Teams:
Football: Titans
College BBall: Kentucky
College FBall: Alabama
Baseball: Braves
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanSS


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 3140
Location: My house
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haynesworth was never a great player. Period. He had one great year when he played for us. It was the year he was trying to make money. Period.

Before that he had a poor work ethic, poor attitude, and made poor decisions on the field. Stomping on a player who doesn't have their helmet on doesn't exactly scream "I'm an intelligent person!!!!".

After he got paid he had a poor work ethic and he never improved. You mentioning Haynesworth as your example is ridiculous because letting him go was probably one of the best FO decisions made since becoming the Titans. If not ever.

Letting Verner go if he asks for more than 6.5 million is simply the correct decision. He is not an elite player. He is a good role player.

At one point he led the league in interceptions??? You're right. And then he went the last 13 games racking up a total of.. 1 more interception.

I'm far from saying he is a bad player or that I would not like to retain him. I'm simply saying he will be vastly overrated because his best season by far was his contract season. He will get paid way more than he is worth. Yes, he is a #2 corner on most teams. You cannot leave him on an island and expect him not to get beat deep. Plain and simple. That's the reason he didn't have a starting job until the end of the preseason. The coaches wanted to find a player who didn't have that liability. He makes up for it in his short distance coverage, but he isn't a top flight corner. He is simply good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UTMoc10


Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Posts: 2548
Location: Lakeland, Fl
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jim Wyatt ‏@jwyattsports 5m
#Titans are meeting with agent 4 CB Alterraun Verner at Combine. The hope is 4 a new deal, but work needed. Franchise tag still not expected

_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Titan
-----------------------
Through Week 5
Kendall Wright - 25 catches 223 yards, 3TD
Damian Stafford - 3 tackles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ragevsuall17


Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 5647
Location: TX
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
Haynesworth was never a great player. Period. He had one great year when he played for us. It was the year he was trying to make money. Period.

Before that he had a poor work ethic, poor attitude, and made poor decisions on the field. Stomping on a player who doesn't have their helmet on doesn't exactly scream "I'm an intelligent person!!!!".

After he got paid he had a poor work ethic and he never improved. You mentioning Haynesworth as your example is ridiculous because letting him go was probably one of the best FO decisions made since becoming the Titans. If not ever.

Letting Verner go if he asks for more than 6.5 million is simply the correct decision. He is not an elite player. He is a good role player.

At one point he led the league in interceptions??? You're right. And then he went the last 13 games racking up a total of.. 1 more interception.


I cannot endorse that Haynesworth was not a great player. He was... and his 08 season was one of the most dominating we have seen in Nashville by a single player.

But truth of the matter is the franchise knew what was coming for Haynesworth... they knew his personality better than anyone else... and knew that once he received that big money, his effort would be lacking more often than before. They also knew that his knees were on their last... legs... and that he wasn't worth that big money over the long term.

Eventhough they knew the risk, they still offered him 4 years at about 9-10M per year. They were willing to stick it out with him... they just happened to have a good idea of what lay ahead in his career...

Verner doesn't have any of those character or injury concerns... but he also doesn't have a very high ceiling... and one could argue that he was playing at his ceiling the first half of the season.... meaning that's as good as it gets with him, and smart money is that he doesn't keep that kinda play up consistently week to week.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttitansfan4life


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 25437
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haynesworth wasn't a great player? What? When motivated, their probably wasn't a defensive player I'd take over him. He had great 07 and 08 seasons and was robbed of many awards. He was the reason our defense was elite those seasons. KVB and Brown and many others on that defense were products of a motivated Haynesworth. Problem with Haynesworth wasn't that he didn't have the talent, it was that he was only motivated come contract time. Had he had the work ethic and right attitude, I have little to no doubt assuming he'd stay healthy, he would've been of the greatest defensive players of all-time and could've been a cornerstone for our team for many years. Had he'd been motivated as a rookie, he likely would've dominated from the start and so on. The FO and coaching staff knew he had issues, which is why they weren't going to throw a huge contract at him.
_________________

Driver of the Brad Kaaya Hype Train
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
titans0021


Moderator
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 27163
Location: Props to Smack on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman88 wrote:

The problem with Wimbley is that if we cut him we would have to pay him $5M+ to leave or just keep him for $7.8M.
Not that it's really related to the discussion at hand, but it's not as though we'd literally be paying him $5M to leave. The $5 million comes from a prorated signing bonus that's already been paid to him. And while it may only save $2.8 million on the cap this season, cutting him also removes him entirely from the books in 2015 and beyond, where he would be counting at roughly $7.5-8 million a year.

And as for the point that why would we be forced to keep Wimbley and let Verner (I know that's not what you said Ice) walk, I doubt that we'll be the case. Only way Wimbley comes back is at a reduced salary. If we plan to be active in FA once again, clearing his contract from the books for the next few years is far more important than just the 2014 savings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Justin615$


Joined: 02 Aug 2013
Posts: 977
Location: +1509 posts: Middle Tennessee
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say cut CJ, David Stewart, and Kamerion Wimbley for sure. We also need to try and get Craig Steven to take a pay cut. After all that we would have around 25 mil in cap room and could go crazy again if we wanted Laughing I would not even mind bringing Wimbley back after he is cut on a much much cheaper deal for 1 or 2 years.
_________________

2014 Adopt-A-Titan
1. Michael Griffin : 82 TKLS, 3 SACKS, 2 INTS, 4 PDEF
2. Mike Martin : 12 TKLS, 0 SACKS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group