Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alterraun Verner
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TitanSS


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 3072
Location: My house
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
I'll ask the inevitable question for those curious, did he play well because it was a contract year?


I don't think so.

Verner had consistent help over the top and at the beginning of the year we played our corners much more aggressively than we did at the end of the year.

Knowing he didn't have to worry about getting beaten deep he was able to go out and make plays and Verner is very good in short areas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titans fan 617


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 10075
Location: BeanTown
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
I'll ask the inevitable question for those curious, did he play well because it was a contract year?


I say no i think Verners been good his whole career as a Titan. Im not saying hes been a Pro Bowl guy every year but hes been fine as a number 2 CB. Hes just been fighting for his job since hes been here and has always remained the number 2 guy. Also a few other factors come into play one is J-Mac was very good this past year which made QBs have to throw to Verners side and he capitalized. Also 4 of his INTs came with in the first 4 weeks so you can also say the team was playing with confidence and once Locker got hurt and the losses started to pile up the confidence dipped so did his INTs. Now i like Verner as much as anyone in here but i can be nit picky and critique things about him ill say against the best QBs in the league he doesnt always stand out. Big Ben was the best QB he picked off this year it was a great catch. But Schaub stunk Geno Smith was a rookie and the Jags an Henne stunk. Going forward i want to see Verner make plays against the Lucks Romos Flaccos Daltons Mannings Bradys an on an on down the road but as a number 2 hes fine and i think he will continue to play well even after his next contract
_________________

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS
*2011

Shaun Phillips: 8 Tackles 5 Assist 1 Sack

Ropati Pitoitua: 9 Tackles 4 Assist 1 Sack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titans0021


Moderator
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 26808
Location: Props to Smack on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:

You're talking about him being one of the best CBs in the league... he didn't even have a starting job until preseason.
I think that speaks more of Munch and Gray than it does of Verner. Despite the fact that Tommie has never demonstrated anything other than size/speed (and man, I really, really wanted him to show something more), the staff seem set on giving him the starting job if he showcased any ability whatsoever.
_________________

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 12 receptions, 237 yards, 1 touchdown
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TitanSS


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 3072
Location: My house
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

You're talking about him being one of the best CBs in the league... he didn't even have a starting job until preseason.
I think that speaks more of Munch and Gray than it does of Verner. Despite the fact that Tommie has never demonstrated anything other than size/speed (and man, I really, really wanted him to show something more), the staff seem set on giving him the starting job if he showcased any ability whatsoever.


Agreed. But at the same time I think they wanted a guy they could leave 1v1 on the outside and not have to worry so much about him being burned deep.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OwNaGe


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 1585
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why we will NEVER win the Superbowl. We always re-sign the players we shouldn't and we let go of the talent.
_________________


My Teams:
Football: Titans
College BBall: Kentucky
College FBall: Alabama
Baseball: Braves
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttitansfan4life


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 25074
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwNaGe wrote:
This is why we will NEVER win the Superbowl. We always re-sign the players we shouldn't and we let go of the talent.


I lol'd.. Name the players we should've resigned that went on to have successful careers..... I'll wait.
_________________
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
OwNaGe


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 1585
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
This is why we will NEVER win the Superbowl. We always re-sign the players we shouldn't and we let go of the talent.


I lol'd.. Name the players we should've resigned that went on to have successful careers..... I'll wait.



What you forget is that those players did not have successful careers after moving out of TN because they did not fit the system of their new teams. That is one reason why successful teams build through the draft, not through FA. If you think for a moment that Verner is not a player we should re-sign, you should have your head examined. He went to the pro-bowl. He at one point, led the NFL in INTs. He is well on his way to playing at top level consistently if he was to play for TN.
_________________


My Teams:
Football: Titans
College BBall: Kentucky
College FBall: Alabama
Baseball: Braves
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Iceman88


Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 8492
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwNaGe wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
This is why we will NEVER win the Superbowl. We always re-sign the players we shouldn't and we let go of the talent.


I lol'd.. Name the players we should've resigned that went on to have successful careers..... I'll wait.



What you forget is that those players did not have successful careers after moving out of TN because they did not fit the system of their new teams. That is one reason why successful teams build through the draft, not through FA. If you think for a moment that Verner is not a player we should re-sign, you should have your head examined. He went to the pro-bowl. He at one point, led the NFL in INTs. He is well on his way to playing at top level consistently if he was to play for TN.


Your not getting the point, no one in this forum is saying DON'T RESIGN VERNER!!!! Twisted Evil

The problem is the money, do you think he is a better player than McCourty? If you say yes then you need your head examined. Verner played well for the majority of last season and is a valuable #2 corner. Looking at comparable contracts, look at Tim Jennings for the Bears he has been to back to back Pro Bowls and he just signed a deal for 4yrs/$22.4M with about half of if guaranteed (I understand he is older than Verner). I would be fine with that deal, I would even go to a 5th year and go to around 5yrs/$30M which would make him the 15 highest paid corner and likely the highest paid #2 corner. I would not exceed an AAV of $6.5M for Verner, period. It really does not help Verner that DeAngelo Hall was just signed for 4yrs/$17M, now granted they are different players but both the Hall and Jennings deals are closer to what I want.....

However I am sure some team will come out with an offer of 6yr/$50-55M and that would make him one of the highest paid corners in the NFL. Probably Oakland, Minnesota or Jacksonville who have insane amounts of money to play with.
_________________

Props to Kempes ^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titans fan 617


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 10075
Location: BeanTown
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
This is why we will NEVER win the Superbowl. We always re-sign the players we shouldn't and we let go of the talent.


I lol'd.. Name the players we should've resigned that went on to have successful careers..... I'll wait.


Ya I said the same thing in another post jus make a list of guys we didn't over pay for that were eligible to be resigned

Keith Bulluck
Drew Bennett
Cartland Finnegan
Nick Harper
Chris Hope
Albert Haynesworth
Bo Scaife
Tony Brown
Travis Laboy
Antwan Odom

The list goes on an on there just hasn't been a guy that deserves a big contract at the time of there free agency. And we can't say guys like Rolle or Mason they had to go because Flyod Reese put us in cap jail the only guy who has been good who we didn't resign is Randy Starks an at the time he was a Titan he wasn't worth a big deal and again cap jail
_________________

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS
*2011

Shaun Phillips: 8 Tackles 5 Assist 1 Sack

Ropati Pitoitua: 9 Tackles 4 Assist 1 Sack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OwNaGe


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 1585
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman88 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
This is why we will NEVER win the Superbowl. We always re-sign the players we shouldn't and we let go of the talent.


I lol'd.. Name the players we should've resigned that went on to have successful careers..... I'll wait.



What you forget is that those players did not have successful careers after moving out of TN because they did not fit the system of their new teams. That is one reason why successful teams build through the draft, not through FA. If you think for a moment that Verner is not a player we should re-sign, you should have your head examined. He went to the pro-bowl. He at one point, led the NFL in INTs. He is well on his way to playing at top level consistently if he was to play for TN.


Your not getting the point, no one in this forum is saying DON'T RESIGN VERNER!!!! Twisted Evil

The problem is the money, do you think he is a better player than McCourty? If you say yes then you need your head examined. Verner played well for the majority of last season and is a valuable #2 corner. Looking at comparable contracts, look at Tim Jennings for the Bears he has been to back to back Pro Bowls and he just signed a deal for 4yrs/$22.4M with about half of if guaranteed (I understand he is older than Verner). I would be fine with that deal, I would even go to a 5th year and go to around 5yrs/$30M which would make him the 15 highest paid corner and likely the highest paid #2 corner. I would not exceed an AAV of $6.5M for Verner, period. It really does not help Verner that DeAngelo Hall was just signed for 4yrs/$17M, now granted they are different players but both the Hall and Jennings deals are closer to what I want.....

However I am sure some team will come out with an offer of 6yr/$50-55M and that would make him one of the highest paid corners in the NFL. Probably Oakland, Minnesota or Jacksonville who have insane amounts of money to play with.


I get that he does not warrant number 1 money. But seriously, you guys are playing it off like it's no big deal to lose a player of his caliber. Yes OF HIS CALIBER. He is a legit corner. Don't play it off like he's not important. GET MAD ABOUT IT! I certaintly will be WHEN we let him walk because I know this team's track record. I saw some posts saying lol, when his replacement let's a WR catch a ball you will say told you so or something to that effect. Dang right we will be critical of his replacement. I want the Titans organization to know that the fans are tired of being an average football team. Re-sign our talent, let the others walk.
_________________


My Teams:
Football: Titans
College BBall: Kentucky
College FBall: Alabama
Baseball: Braves
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttitansfan4life


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 25074
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwNaGe wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
This is why we will NEVER win the Superbowl. We always re-sign the players we shouldn't and we let go of the talent.


I lol'd.. Name the players we should've resigned that went on to have successful careers..... I'll wait.



What you forget is that those players did not have successful careers after moving out of TN because they did not fit the system of their new teams. That is one reason why successful teams build through the draft, not through FA. If you think for a moment that Verner is not a player we should re-sign, you should have your head examined. He went to the pro-bowl. He at one point, led the NFL in INTs. He is well on his way to playing at top level consistently if he was to play for TN.


Your not getting the point, no one in this forum is saying DON'T RESIGN VERNER!!!! Twisted Evil

The problem is the money, do you think he is a better player than McCourty? If you say yes then you need your head examined. Verner played well for the majority of last season and is a valuable #2 corner. Looking at comparable contracts, look at Tim Jennings for the Bears he has been to back to back Pro Bowls and he just signed a deal for 4yrs/$22.4M with about half of if guaranteed (I understand he is older than Verner). I would be fine with that deal, I would even go to a 5th year and go to around 5yrs/$30M which would make him the 15 highest paid corner and likely the highest paid #2 corner. I would not exceed an AAV of $6.5M for Verner, period. It really does not help Verner that DeAngelo Hall was just signed for 4yrs/$17M, now granted they are different players but both the Hall and Jennings deals are closer to what I want.....

However I am sure some team will come out with an offer of 6yr/$50-55M and that would make him one of the highest paid corners in the NFL. Probably Oakland, Minnesota or Jacksonville who have insane amounts of money to play with.


I get that he does not warrant number 1 money. But seriously, you guys are playing it off like it's no big deal to lose a player of his caliber. Yes OF HIS CALIBER. He is a legit corner. Don't play it off like he's not important. GET MAD ABOUT IT! I certaintly will be WHEN we let him walk because I know this team's track record. I saw some posts saying lol, when his replacement let's a WR catch a ball you will say told you so or something to that effect. Dang right we will be critical of his replacement. I want the Titans organization to know that the fans are tired of being an average football team. Re-sign our talent, let the others walk.


You still claim we've let talented players get away but you still haven't named a player. You say this organization doesn't pay their own players yet they just payed McCourty. They payed CJ. They payed Griffin. What am I missing? Who was worth a damn that they let go recently or within the past 5 or so years? No one. Verner situation is simple. We've already got money locked into the secondary and our best player on the whole team is due for a "BIG" contract after next season. Would you rather pay Verner and have two good CBs and let Casey slip away because we invested too much money in the secondary. I sure as hell don't. It's common sense. No one said he sucked or anything like that. He has limitations of course but no one has said he sucked or isn't worth a payday. He's worth more than we can afford. It's that simple.
_________________
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Iceman88


Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 8492
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwNaGe wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:

Your not getting the point, no one in this forum is saying DON'T RESIGN VERNER!!!! Twisted Evil

The problem is the money, do you think he is a better player than McCourty? If you say yes then you need your head examined. Verner played well for the majority of last season and is a valuable #2 corner. Looking at comparable contracts, look at Tim Jennings for the Bears he has been to back to back Pro Bowls and he just signed a deal for 4yrs/$22.4M with about half of if guaranteed (I understand he is older than Verner). I would be fine with that deal, I would even go to a 5th year and go to around 5yrs/$30M which would make him the 15 highest paid corner and likely the highest paid #2 corner. I would not exceed an AAV of $6.5M for Verner, period. It really does not help Verner that DeAngelo Hall was just signed for 4yrs/$17M, now granted they are different players but both the Hall and Jennings deals are closer to what I want.....

However I am sure some team will come out with an offer of 6yr/$50-55M and that would make him one of the highest paid corners in the NFL. Probably Oakland, Minnesota or Jacksonville who have insane amounts of money to play with.


I get that he does not warrant number 1 money. But seriously, you guys are playing it off like it's no big deal to lose a player of his caliber. Yes OF HIS CALIBER. He is a legit corner. Don't play it off like he's not important. GET MAD ABOUT IT! I certaintly will be WHEN we let him walk because I know this team's track record. I saw some posts saying lol, when his replacement let's a WR catch a ball you will say told you so or something to that effect. Dang right we will be critical of his replacement. I want the Titans organization to know that the fans are tired of being an average football team. Re-sign our talent, let the others walk.


You still dont get it, no Titans fan wants to watch Verner leave....however its all about the money. With Griffin and McCourty both locked up long term that is roughly $16M. I think that whoever we have at strong safety us going to cost around $4M unless we draft one, I hope Pollard is at SS. That makes it roughly $20M. You then try to resign Verner and IMO the lowest amount he would take is a $7.5M AAV and that might be a low estimate as well. If you add him then you have a secondary making $27.5M per season. That is more than every offensive lineman we have on the roster (this includes D.Stewart). Not to mention we have roughly $7M in cap unless we cut CJ, Stewart and others.....

You need to come to the realization that we cannot retain every single player and while we all would love to keep Verner, why would would he stay? It would not surprise me if the Oakland Raiders offered him a boat load of cash. Another factor is that we already have Wreh-Wilson and Sensabaugh waiting in the wings and they cost a lot less. We need to make upgrades elsewhere and still have a bunch of potential free agents next season including Roos, Washington, Kern, Ayers, Klug, Campbell and the two potential major contracts in Jurrell Casey and Jake Locker. Start to think a little, yes we want to keep Verner but the more likely solution is we sign a veteran and allow Wreh-Wilson to have his shot.
_________________

Props to Kempes ^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingTitan


Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 10589
Location: Nashville,TN
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get mad if Verner was going to get paid a middle of the road contact or if the Titans were not wanting him back.

But Verner most likely will want to go to the highest bidder. If we didn't have other areas like Casey, Pollard, finding some edge rushers, a RB..etc. Then I'd be like why they letting Verner walk?

But it's clear cut. Verne wants more money and there isn't much we can do about it, if another team pays him crazy money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lamont


Joined: 01 Feb 2008
Posts: 3898
Location: tennessee
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman88 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:

Your not getting the point, no one in this forum is saying DON'T RESIGN VERNER!!!! Twisted Evil

The problem is the money, do you think he is a better player than McCourty? If you say yes then you need your head examined. Verner played well for the majority of last season and is a valuable #2 corner. Looking at comparable contracts, look at Tim Jennings for the Bears he has been to back to back Pro Bowls and he just signed a deal for 4yrs/$22.4M with about half of if guaranteed (I understand he is older than Verner). I would be fine with that deal, I would even go to a 5th year and go to around 5yrs/$30M which would make him the 15 highest paid corner and likely the highest paid #2 corner. I would not exceed an AAV of $6.5M for Verner, period. It really does not help Verner that DeAngelo Hall was just signed for 4yrs/$17M, now granted they are different players but both the Hall and Jennings deals are closer to what I want.....

However I am sure some team will come out with an offer of 6yr/$50-55M and that would make him one of the highest paid corners in the NFL. Probably Oakland, Minnesota or Jacksonville who have insane amounts of money to play with.


I get that he does not warrant number 1 money. But seriously, you guys are playing it off like it's no big deal to lose a player of his caliber. Yes OF HIS CALIBER. He is a legit corner. Don't play it off like he's not important. GET MAD ABOUT IT! I certaintly will be WHEN we let him walk because I know this team's track record. I saw some posts saying lol, when his replacement let's a WR catch a ball you will say told you so or something to that effect. Dang right we will be critical of his replacement. I want the Titans organization to know that the fans are tired of being an average football team. Re-sign our talent, let the others walk.


You still dont get it, no Titans fan wants to watch Verner leave....however its all about the money. With Griffin and McCourty both locked up long term that is roughly $16M. I think that whoever we have at strong safety us going to cost around $4M unless we draft one, I hope Pollard is at SS. That makes it roughly $20M. You then try to resign Verner and IMO the lowest amount he would take is a $7.5M AAV and that might be a low estimate as well. If you add him then you have a secondary making $27.5M per season. That is more than every offensive lineman we have on the roster (this includes D.Stewart). Not to mention we have roughly $7M in cap unless we cut CJ, Stewart and others.....

You need to come to the realization that we cannot retain every single player and while we all would love to keep Verner, why would would he stay? It would not surprise me if the Oakland Raiders offered him a boat load of cash. Another factor is that we already have Wreh-Wilson and Sensabaugh waiting in the wings and they cost a lot less. We need to make upgrades elsewhere and still have a bunch of potential free agents next season including Roos, Washington, Kern, Ayers, Klug, Campbell and the two potential major contracts in Jurrell Casey and Jake Locker. Start to think a little, yes we want to keep Verner but the more likely solution is we sign a veteran and allow Wreh-Wilson to have his shot.


Jabari Greer come on back home to Tennessee. He may take a 1 year prove it deal since he is coming off a knee injury?
_________________

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OwNaGe


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 1585
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:
This is why we will NEVER win the Superbowl. We always re-sign the players we shouldn't and we let go of the talent.


I lol'd.. Name the players we should've resigned that went on to have successful careers..... I'll wait.



What you forget is that those players did not have successful careers after moving out of TN because they did not fit the system of their new teams. That is one reason why successful teams build through the draft, not through FA. If you think for a moment that Verner is not a player we should re-sign, you should have your head examined. He went to the pro-bowl. He at one point, led the NFL in INTs. He is well on his way to playing at top level consistently if he was to play for TN.


Your not getting the point, no one in this forum is saying DON'T RESIGN VERNER!!!! Twisted Evil

The problem is the money, do you think he is a better player than McCourty? If you say yes then you need your head examined. Verner played well for the majority of last season and is a valuable #2 corner. Looking at comparable contracts, look at Tim Jennings for the Bears he has been to back to back Pro Bowls and he just signed a deal for 4yrs/$22.4M with about half of if guaranteed (I understand he is older than Verner). I would be fine with that deal, I would even go to a 5th year and go to around 5yrs/$30M which would make him the 15 highest paid corner and likely the highest paid #2 corner. I would not exceed an AAV of $6.5M for Verner, period. It really does not help Verner that DeAngelo Hall was just signed for 4yrs/$17M, now granted they are different players but both the Hall and Jennings deals are closer to what I want.....

However I am sure some team will come out with an offer of 6yr/$50-55M and that would make him one of the highest paid corners in the NFL. Probably Oakland, Minnesota or Jacksonville who have insane amounts of money to play with.


I get that he does not warrant number 1 money. But seriously, you guys are playing it off like it's no big deal to lose a player of his caliber. Yes OF HIS CALIBER. He is a legit corner. Don't play it off like he's not important. GET MAD ABOUT IT! I certaintly will be WHEN we let him walk because I know this team's track record. I saw some posts saying lol, when his replacement let's a WR catch a ball you will say told you so or something to that effect. Dang right we will be critical of his replacement. I want the Titans organization to know that the fans are tired of being an average football team. Re-sign our talent, let the others walk.


You still claim we've let talented players get away but you still haven't named a player. You say this organization doesn't pay their own players yet they just payed McCourty. They payed CJ. They payed Griffin. What am I missing? Who was worth a damn that they let go recently or within the past 5 or so years? No one. Verner situation is simple. We've already got money locked into the secondary and our best player on the whole team is due for a "BIG" contract after next season. Would you rather pay Verner and have two good CBs and let Casey slip away because we invested too much money in the secondary. I sure as hell don't. It's common sense. No one said he sucked or anything like that. He has limitations of course but no one has said he sucked or isn't worth a payday. He's worth more than we can afford. It's that simple.


Bold- LOL Laughing

Albert Haynesworth comes to mind.
_________________


My Teams:
Football: Titans
College BBall: Kentucky
College FBall: Alabama
Baseball: Braves
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group