Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers hosting Louis Delmas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While money is always a huge motivator, we are certainly seeing that signing the contract doesn't mean you get all the money that you sign for. Don't underestimate a solid organization, talent, winning tradition and being paid ALL of a decent contract as opposed to a little bit of a big contract. He could get more money in Oakland, Cleveland or Buffalo for example, but the possibility of consistently competing to earn a Super Bowl ring, consistent play-off money and Troy is older so maybe becoming the leader in a year or two are all good selling points.

He can become another solid contributor as Ryan Clark did after leaving Washington and signing with Pittsburgh. He has some time to decide, but I think that stability, opportunity and organization are as important as simply signing a big deal with anyone who will offer to pay more.

Being in the right situation, with a cap friendly number and stability seems to be better than not getting the money the last two years or three years because you are cut and now you also have less value to other teams who would sign you as well. Let's not forget Delmas wasn't cut because he can't play.

Thanks for the Sig Kethnaab!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:
While money is always a huge motivator, we are certainly seeing that signing the contract doesn't mean you get all the money that you sign for. Don't underestimate a solid organization, talent, winning tradition and being paid ALL of a decent contract as opposed to a little bit of a big contract. He could get more money in Oakland, Cleveland or Buffalo for example, but the possibility of consistently competing to earn a Super Bowl ring, consistent play-off money and Troy is older so maybe becoming the leader in a year or two are all good selling points.

He can become another solid contributor as Ryan Clark did after leaving Washington and signing with Pittsburgh. He has some time to decide, but I think that stability, opportunity and organization are as important as simply signing a big deal with anyone who will offer to pay more.

Being in the right situation, with a cap friendly number and stability seems to be better than not getting the money the last two years or three years because you are cut and now you also have less value to other teams who would sign you as well. Let's not forget Delmas wasn't cut because he can't play.

As I said in another thread, the "discounts" players give for things like that are pretty negligible. He isnt going to take ALOT less to play for a competitor. No player does.

On top of that, guaranteed money is the big thing to look at. Some team will likely offer him much more guaranteed than they should given his injury past and inconsistent play.

Only chance we have of signing him IMO is if the demand for him isnt that high and we can at least offer CLOSE to what other teams are offering. He MIGHT take a few million less to come here over a place like Oakland, but he isnt going to take any less than that....especially considering this may be his only chance to earn a huge payday.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has he visited? Any write ups on how it went?

I'm overseas and haven't been seeing much news so just curious if there is anything new.

BTW... what are some key dates?

Combine
Free agency period
Draft day (putting in for time off this year. Worked the weekend last year!)

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Has he visited? Any write ups on how it went?

I'm overseas and haven't been seeing much news so just curious if there is anything new.

BTW... what are some key dates?

Combine
Free agency period
Draft day (putting in for time off this year. Worked the weekend last year!)

Combine is the 22nd - 27th

Free agency begins mid March or so.

We'll probably trade Ben in early April.

Draft is May 8th-10th.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:

As I said in another thread, the "discounts" players give for things like that are pretty negligible. He isn't going to take ALOT less to play for a competitor. No player does.

I agree, but I don't see Delmas value the same as say Brendan Albert's or the situation where the Steelers tried to negotiate with Jake Long last year. The last year of his two year deal was voided, so I doubt he commands millions more like a premier free agent.

On top of that, guaranteed money is the big thing to look at. Some team will likely offer him much more guaranteed than they should given his injury past and inconsistent play.

No doubt the guaranteed money is the key. Because he was cut basically for money, I don't see another team overpaying to the extent that they could offer millions more than he Steelers. Other teams do some crazy things, but I would be surprised that someone would get into a bidding war with another team after he was cut for his salary. Jarius Byrd and TJ Ward will be the top FS' and Delmas will be in the middle tier in my humble opinion. Those two will be in a higher price range than Delmas.

Only chance we have of signing him IMO is if the demand for him isn't that high and we can at least offer CLOSE to what other teams are offering.

I agree. Because he was cut for money that bodes well for us and others negotiating. I don't think the demand is going to be as high from a dollars standpoint, but everyone knows he is a solid player, when healthy.An incentive laden contract might e the way to separate us from some other teams.

He MIGHT take a few million less to come here over a place like Oakland, but he isnt going to take any less than that....especially considering this may be his only chance to earn a huge payday.

I think he has to play himself into a huge contract. His injury history has hurt him on the negotiating table.

turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I think he'd play well in this defense. I worry about his toughness back there - he's no Ryan Clark - but he does have the athetic ability and play making ability we've missed the past few years as Clark has gotten older.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:

This good post
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gatek99

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happened with this?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he left.

read that he apparently is wanting some coin we aren't willing to part with. Considering his injury history, I don't blame the Steelers for being wary
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
he left.

read that he apparently is wanting some coin we aren't willing to part with. Considering his injury history, I don't blame the Steelers for being wary

I wouldve liked to have him, but he isnt a great player or anything. For the right price it wouldve been nice, but I definitely wouldve been angry if we overpaid for and inconsistent, injury prone guy.

simonwayne wrote:
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading in the NFL News section that FS Thomas DeCoud thinks he will be cut. Reading the comments from Falcons fans they don't seem to mind and believe he was overrated saying he is a poor tackler. He totaled 14 picks from '09-'12, with a career high of 6 in '12, and missed just one game during that time. However, last season he didn't get a single interception. Not sure if the Steelers would have interest in him at all if he is cut but it's a name to be thrown out there.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the #87 Sid's sig!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's a poor tackler, he doesn't belong in Pittsburgh we got enough of that crap going on.

Sig courtesy of IDOG
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
he left.

I would've liked to have him, but he isn't a great player or anything. For the right price it would've been nice, but I definitely would've been angry if we overpaid for and inconsistent, injury prone guy.

Agreed!

turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delmas could be back when he realizes he isn't going to get the 6 mil from someone else test he Lions gave him last year.
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooooooooooooh...I wants!

http://youtu.be/7GrS7KlB_WU

http://youtu.be/MeDGfH7-VBc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: