Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers hosting Louis Delmas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wardfan05 wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
chrisororke wrote:

I wonder if they'd entertain trading Troy to a San Francisco or Denver or someone like that for a 3rd round pick

right. We'll do that after we trade Ben to Arizona for their 2015 2nd rounder.

Rolling Eyes

But before we trade Antonio Brown for 7 boxes of thin mints!!!

You're sick!

I wouldn't trade him for less than 4 boxes of tagalongs, 4 boxes of samoas and 2 boxes of thin mints.

Thin mints are good, but they're day two draft picks at best.

tagalongs are worth gold though. I'd give up Ben for about a half dozen boxes myself.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys done crapping o an interesting thread? There was some good discussion ongoing before the Ren and Stempy crap Twisted Evil

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
You guys done crapping o an interesting thread? There was some good discussion ongoing before the Ren and Stempy crap Twisted Evil

So comment on the good discussion and ignore me, Ren and Stimpy! Wink

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
armsteeld

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

So comment on the good discussion and ignore me, Ren and Stimpy! Wink

But of course! As the OP stated, with a performance clause, Delmas could be a nice addition. I know the Steelers won't over pay him and with Clark's departure almost imminent, this would be a good move. Regardless if we take him or not, there are some quality all purpose Safeties in this draft. Craig Loston is a sleeper who was ball skills and an enforcer.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this move at the right price, it's gotta be a low risk-high reward scenario and that's the biggest reason I think it could actually be very likely we sign him. There's not going to be, imo, a ton of teams jumping at Delmas because of his health issues so it just might let the Steelers steal one here. It's at worst a decent stop-gap and at best (hopefully) a long-term solution to the FS position.

Sig courtesy of IDOG
SteelersFan2333

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be somewhat shocked if he doesnt end up in Buffalo, Jim Shwartz loves him and they will be losing Byrd. If he does come to us, I would hope it would be a decent contract with a performance clause for games played, he could help us if he is healthy but track record for playing has been poor the last 2 yrs
byerly724

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe to say if we do sign him its not looking good for some of our contributing free agents. Money was tight for another seaon or two still.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly the type of signing that I think most here expected, if it were to happen. Mid-level FA on a position of need on the D that a rookie would have a difficult time jumping into immediately. Basically, a CB or S. If it happens, then I'd be very happy. Yes, there's a chance he goes down with injury, but Troy and Woodley have also had their issues (not this year w/ Troy of course).

Anyway, solid move if it happens. Would expect a 1-year "prove-you-can-stay-healthy" deal, but wouldn't be upset at all with a longer, back-loaded deal.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me being hopeful but I have strong expectations that this signing happens and I hope it's for a mid-range deal, by that I mean more than 1 year. The reason I feel that way is because if he does in fact play well for us and stay healthy, it'd be nice to keep him at a reasonable cost for a couple seasons and if he doesn't, then hopefully we didn't spend a ton.

Either way, I look at it, if it happens, as a positive signing.

Sig courtesy of IDOG
treat88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be pretty pumped if they were able to bring Delmas on board. Also, pretty surprised.

I think he's going to have a fairly strong market though and is likely out of their price range by more than a little.

I don't think the knee is going to push his value down to the point of signing the vet "prove it" deal that would put him within our budget. He put in a full 16 and put up respectable numbers. This is probably his last, best chance at a long term deal and his camp will be pushing hard for multiple years and at least a comfortable amount of guaranteed money.

As a premium pick with a solid stat record and a pretty good display of being back to full health last year, someone with cap space is going to pay the guy far more than we can afford.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we manage to sign Delmas and he's healthy, this is an enormous coup for this defense. Delmas is a very good athlete, a smart player, and likes to lay the wood.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a team like the Jets or Raiders will overpay for him. They have tons of money and big needs at safety.

The only way I think he would sign here is if we cut Troy and basically gave Delmas his salary....and even that wouldnt work out too well.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Food Lion knockoff of the Samoas? They're pretty good.

Oh, as for the OT....the Steelers will use the typical 'Take it or leave it" approach where Delmas will most likely leave it and sign with a crappy team for much much more. Not knocking it, it's just reality.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
Has anyone tried the Food Lion knockoff of the Samoas? They're pretty good.

Oh, as for the OT....the Steelers will use the typical 'Take it or leave it" approach where Delmas will most likely leave it and sign with a crappy team for much much more. Not knocking it, it's just reality.

With FA it's a little different for the Steelers then resigning their own players. Why have a "take or leave" approach to a player that owes them nothing? I'm sure Delmas and his agent have a ball park figure in mind. As I'm sure Delmas and his agent are aware of the Steelers cap situation.

Delmas may just want to win and while the Steelers aren't the best team right now. With a few tweaks here and there they could be back contending. In 11 yrs 3 SB appearances and 2 victories is a good selling point.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
I'd be pretty pumped if they were able to bring Delmas on board. Also, pretty surprised.

I think he's going to have a fairly strong market though and is likely out of their price range by more than a little.

I don't think the knee is going to push his value down to the point of signing the vet "prove it" deal that would put him within our budget. He put in a full 16 and put up respectable numbers.

True, but even though it was a cap saving move for the Lions, they may feel this knee issue may be chronic, which could limit his value if other teams' doctors feel the same.

His contract was only 2 yr/$9M, and he is only 27, so he may be able to get one more "pay day" if he signs a 1-2 year deal at a reasonable price, then show he can stay healthy and play at a high level, giving him "ammo" to demand even higher money for a longer contract. I think he will still be limited in some capacity by what he can demand this year, especially with the number of "young-ish" safety FAs on the market this year. But of course, all it takes is one team's Dr. to sign off on his twice-injured knee as not concerned it is a chronic issue and that team over-paying.

But I'd also be thrilled to take that chance and hope the FO can finagle a long-term, back-loaded contract. But if not there are quite a few still available, understanding not all below would be affordable and/or good fits.

Husain Abdullah, Kansas City Chiefs

Nate Allen, Philadelphia Eagles

Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis Colts

Stevie Brown, New York Giants

Jairus Byrd, Buffalo Bills

Chris Clemons, Miami Dolphins

Roman Harper, New Orleans Saints

Malcolm Jenkins, New Orleans Saints

Kendrick Lewis, Kansas City Chiefs

Taylor Mays, Cincinnati Bengals

Mike Mitchell, Carolina Panthers

Bernard Pollard, Tennessee Titans

T.J. Ward, Cleveland Browns

Donte Whitner, San Francisco 49ers

Major Wright, Chicago Bears

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: