Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Build through the draft mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredsnotdeadyet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Build through the draft mock Reply with quote

TRADE 1st round move back and get 1st, 2nd, 4th

TRADE 2nd round move back plus 7th round pick and get 2nd, 4th

1. CJ Mosley LB
Helps front 7 and gives us insuarance with Lee. We could move Lee to outside or inside. Mosley, Lee, Carter, Holloman, Wilber, Durant gives us some good rotation at the LB spot.

2. Terrence Brooks FS
Need DL help but soldify the safety spot, having Wilcox, Church and Brooks would give us speed, lay the wood, and playmakers in the backend.

2. Kelcy Quarles DT
Finally get us some DL help. Quarles would be day 1 starter and really provide a push in the pocket.

3. Dominique Easley DT/DE
Get some more DL help here, Easley can play inside at Tackle or out on the ends. Coming back from injury could be a steal here seeing as he is a first round level type player.

3. Kareem Martin DE
Make a move here again on the DL, Marinelli can be the coach that makes Martin a huge force on the end. Quarles, Easley, Martin, Crawford, Ware, Bass, Selvie and possibly Hatcher or Spencer would give us a great rotation and a fusion of talent on the DL.

4. James Hurst OT
I like Free's play this season but why not add a bookend with Tyron than can just beast at times. Hurst could start day 1 and maybe move Free inside.

4. Brandon Thomas OG
Again back to the trenches, because thats how you build a winning football team. Leary and Berny did well this season but bring in competetion and let the best one start. Also gives us talent and depth. Tyron, Fred, Thomas, Hurst would make this an OL be set for the next 10 years.

5. Ronald Powell OLB
Powell would go much higher if not for 2 ACL tears. Round 5 is the perfect spot to take a low risk high reward with this guy. A leader, hard worker and will to get better would be most welcome. Is a serious threat rushing the passer.

7. Kevin Norwood WR
With Miles leaving I really like our top 4 guys, bringing in a route runner with good hands just provides good solid depth to already good position.

COMP

7. Trey Millard FB
Murray runs much better with a FB leading the way so why not bring in his college team mate that he is already familiar with.

7. Patrick O'Donnell P
Chris Jones needs to be replaced and O'Donnell has a strong leg and is really learning how to pin opponents deep.

7. Keon Lyn CB
This is a good spot to take a chance on an injury CB that has speed, man coverage and tracks the ball well. Willing in run support but with good coaching could develop into a solid role player/ rotation guy.

props to Joe_is_the_best
fredsnotdeadyet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any and all feedback is appreciated, good or bad. I know this us highly unlikely but if I was GM I would try to stock pile draft picks and build for the future. Would love to get a QB but feel like next years draft add more pieces to defense and grab a future QB.

props to Joe_is_the_best
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like most of your mock. Not a fan of Brooks in the 2nd, would rather look at OG if possible. But not a bad pick tho. Personally i'm not the biggest fan of Quarles either, but like the idea of getting a DT there.

I have a very hard time seeing Norwood being there in the 7th, but I do like the player.

The biggest problem I have with this is, that I don't see us get that much value for a 1st round tradeback. Getting a 2nd would be the very best I think we would be able to do, and personally a would be fine with doing it for a 3rd depending on who is avaliable and how late the 3rd is. But who knows, it isn't easy to predict trades.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge, huge fan of Hurst. I feel several are sleeping on him but he could be a stout and athletic RT.

Powell is fantastic. Had he stayed healthy, what he could have done with Florida's D. I would gladly take a late round flyer on him. Great awareness knowing about him.

While I am less than thrilled with the first two picks, I love the rest of the draft. Overall nicely done.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
fredsnotdeadyet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. Will take everything y'all said in my next draft.

Maybe a Combo of Aaron Donald and Easley would be better.

FS I like Tre Boston from UNC more so then Brooks. Maybe work a FA at FS and grab a OG in the 2nd.

Hurst shut down Clowney one on one. Would be prefect bookend to go with Tyron. Another guy to look at is Russell Bodine OC UNC but could play OG.

Really want to take a chance on Powell. If he comes back strong could be the steal of the draft.

Norwood very well could go as high as 4th or 5th.

Again guys thanks for the feedback

props to Joe_is_the_best
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not crazy about the draft because we'd be taking too many high risk players. Aside from the unlikelihood of the trade scenarios, three of our frist 6 picks have major injury concerns. Mosley has a well documented injury history, Easley has torn both ACLs, and Hurst has a long history of injuries. Too much risk here. We need to get away from taking players with high injury risks. One player is tolerable, but three? Too many.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
I'm not crazy about the draft because we'd be taking too many high risk players. Aside from the unlikelihood of the trade scenarios, three of our frist 6 picks have major injury concerns. Mosley has a well documented injury history, Easley has torn both ACLs, and Hurst has a long history of injuries. Too much risk here. We need to get away from taking players with high injury risks. One player is tolerable, but three? Too many.

I've seen you mention that Mosley has a "well documented injury history" a few times. I'm just wondering where you're getting that from. I just looked and he played in 13 games this year, 14 last year, 11 the year before, and 13 his freshman year. I'm legitimately wondering what I'm missing regarding his injury history. Did he have offseason surgery or something?

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
12/26/2013 - CBSSPORTS.COM ALL-AMERICANS: FIRST-TEAM DEFENSE AS NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS: LB - C.J. Mosley, Sr., Alabama: The unquestioned heart and soul of the Alabama defense, Mosley is a coach's dream at linebacker, earning the Tide's Defensive Player of the Week 11 times in 12 games. Possessing terrific diagnostic skills, he's a virtual coach on the field whose athleticism and quick hands make him equally dangerous in pass coverage as in run support. Like other highly regarded Alabama players before him, however, Mosley's physical play has led to a number of injuries and subsequent surgeries, making his medical grade critical in determining his final draft projection. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Quote:
12/26/2013 - CBSSPORTS.COM ALL-AMERICANS: FIRST-TEAM DEFENSE AS NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS: LB - C.J. Mosley, Sr., Alabama: The unquestioned heart and soul of the Alabama defense, Mosley is a coach's dream at linebacker, earning the Tide's Defensive Player of the Week 11 times in 12 games. Possessing terrific diagnostic skills, he's a virtual coach on the field whose athleticism and quick hands make him equally dangerous in pass coverage as in run support. Like other highly regarded Alabama players before him, however, Mosley's physical play has led to a number of injuries and subsequent surgeries, making his medical grade critical in determining his final draft projection. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Then apparently these are injuries that he is playing through?

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Quote:

I guess so. As far as surgeries only one I seen mentioned was shoulder surgery after 2012 season. Hip injury of some sort that as got some print.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Quote:

He was, yes. But that usually means a lot of missed games at the professional level when one has already had multiple surgeries in college. It creates a significant red flag.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
SICKemROY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a major influx of defensive talent. We had such a dynamic offense last year, but because the d sucked so bad, it was rendered one dimensional. The biggest example was the saints game. We came out pounded the rock and scored but there was no way the d could stop the saints, so the running game became useless.
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

confused a bit on the trades...( 2 2's 2 3's and 2 4's on just 2 trades with no mention of picking up another 3rd? ) i like some of ur players drafted like Kelsey Quarles and Kareem Martin and Dominique Easley...i just think a straight draft with no trades or maybe one picking up an additional 3rd or 4th is a little more believable...like trading down in the 2nd picking up an extra 4th. I really dont see Dallas drafting an OL prospect after the 3rd round...just doesnt work out often (i do think a 1st round selection of and OL again isnt out of the question if a stud is there and no real fits along the DLine are available...

Peace
fredsnotdeadyet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sodakcowboy78 wrote:
confused a bit on the trades...( 2 2's 2 3's and 2 4's on just 2 trades with no mention of picking up another 3rd? ) i like some of ur players drafted like Kelsey Quarles and Kareem Martin and Dominique Easley...i just think a straight draft with no trades or maybe one picking up an additional 3rd or 4th is a little more believable...like trading down in the 2nd picking up an extra 4th. I really dont see Dallas drafting an OL prospect after the 3rd round...just doesnt work out often (i do think a 1st round selection of and OL again isnt out of the question if a stud is there and no real fits along the DLine are available...

Peace

I wrote the trade wrong, it was move back in the 2nd plus our 7th for a 3rd. Didn't matter after the combine and some other research i'm going a different way next mock

props to Joe_is_the_best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: