Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you draft Michael Sam?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you draft Michael Sam?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 20

armsteeld

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Would you draft Michael Sam? Reply with quote

Alright alright. For those who have been paying attention to basically any type of information network, Michael Sam has declared that he is gay. Will this hurt his draft stock but more importantly, if he is available in the 3rd to 5th round, would you want him as a Steeler?

I say "Welcome home now let's get at the QB". I know some here like his skills on the field and he is a relentless player. He is short (6'1 255lbs) and he will be 24 this season. He can bend around the corner but isn't the strongest at the POA.

I think Steeler fans are intelligent enough to not allow someone's sexual preference cloud their minds. There will always be some who will challenge his lifestyle but may we keep this discussion about football only. Thanks!

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than he does not fit the style for the Steelers for an OLB or 3-4 DE? He has no position on the defense.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would. I think it'll take him some time to figure out how to play in space but I think he has what it takes to get after the QB.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 5th round? Maybe. It has nothing to do with his sexuality, and everything to do with him as a player. I didn't like him before all of this. Racked up his stats against weak competition.

I fully expect that for a few teams, his draft stock went up after this just as it may have plummeted for a few teams. Some owner is going to pressure his football people into pulling the trigger. Honestly, I think this is the sort of thing where once guys play with him, it's going to be a non-issue after some initial awkwardness with SOME players.

Either way, I visit one mainstream football site (PFT/R, which doesn't live up to its old name at all anymore as it never breaks any news), and I'm getting tired of them trying to find a slightly different twist on the story everyday. How many times can you say the same thing? At a certain point, you need to let the story progress before you continue to write about it. I would imagine ESPN has done the same thing. That in itself is going to do more to hurt this guy's draft stock than anything else.

The biggest issue I see for him in his career, beyond the things a normal player goes through, is some opposing player is going to say something stupid that will become a big story at some point. Guys say a lot when they are talking trash. Some have no limits. I would imagine opposing coaches are going to try and prevent this going into games, but it will happen at some point.

This is all a big non-story that I recognize needed to happen. But it's not like the Jackie Robinson situation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a touchy subject that I am sure webby, and Steeler Mods will be careful on whether they let this stay open. It is against forum rules to discuss such things because it easily can go in the wrong direction.

Has any team or the league said anything negative about this that I missed? All of Facebook is a blaze about this issue and saw some stuff in the news. It is like people are already condemning the NFL before they even have a reason to. It will be bad if he has a bad combine or pro day and doesn't get drafted.

IDK his talent level, but I am sure a lot of you do.

Anyway, all the best to him.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me first say, we have to make sure we keep things on football in this discussion. A few other threads have been closed because of that.

In regards to the 'issue" surrounding him, for me it's a non-issue. The only thing I care about is, does he fit our defense? I see no reason he couldn't play 3-4 OLB (just based on size) but truthfully, I don't know enough about him to make that assessment based on talent.

The ONLY thing I give a crap about is "Can this guy help us win"? If the answer is yes, by all means, put him in a Steeler Jersey.

Obviously, I'd want him to be a genuinely good person as well. That's the Steeler type.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
gatek99

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the dude can play, let him play

who cares if he is gay, gay or not, he is a good football player and that is all that matters

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are better options for us in both his position and others. I do like his motor a lot, but with our OLB as is, he's like a lesser or miniature Woodley to be brief.

There is no issue for me with his announcement. I see him right around the top 100 players though.

...you have a forum resume?
Bobikus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm really glad that he's able to be open like this and I hope it helps lead to it no longer being a big deal when guys like us who are in high profile careers "come out."

That said, I don't know enough about his ability on the field to know how well he'd fit our defense. If he could contribute enough to be worth his draft spot, yeah, I'd draft him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be for it. Just because his beliefs are different from the so call "normal" he is still a human being and a football player.

He's the only one that has announced it but I don't think he is the only one in the league.

It could really shake up a locker room and force players out. But anymore this days you can't single out a person because of race, and beliefs.
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I care about are his football skills. Which I think are 7th round, UDFA worthy. He beat inferior competition for every sack he got but 1 this year. He lacks any type of counter move. He's stiff and a slow twitch athlete. Decent bull rush and good motor. No true fit in the scheme and lacks the athleticism/frame to transition.

Colbert and Tomlin can worry about team chemistry and locker room issues. They have to decide how Sam fits into their current group...just as they do with any player they select.

He's just another prospect. No more and no less.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
byerly724

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be one of the better teams for him to be on honestly. He needs to get on a team with strong foundation of football first mentality. If he were to go to some like the cowboys or jets, it could just be for the media circus that those teams love to have.

That being said he seems to be a late round(5-6) project player that we currently have enough at linebacker. I'd take him 6-7 round due to his measureables and needing work out in open field
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I certainly have no issue with his orientation, I wouldnt draft him.

Why? Because even though I have no issue with it, its pretty much a guarantee that some teammates will, and its just asking for drama and media attention. Not his fault....but I still wouldnt take the chance.

Im sure someone will try to spin this the wrong way, but in the end, I just think it opens us up to too many unneeded issues.

There really isnt a good answer to this. Its a complicated matter with no easy solution. I dont think its as simple as say "Its all about his football skills", because it isnt. When it comes to him ALONE, yes....thats all that should really matter, but when you look at the big picture, there are alot more factors that need to be consider beyond just HIM.
cbrunn2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
While I certainly have no issue with his orientation, I wouldnt draft him.

Why? Because even though I have no issue with it, its pretty much a guarantee that some teammates will, and its just asking for drama and media attention. Not his fault....but I still wouldnt take the chance.

100% how I feel ... Unneeded stress and attention in the locker room ... Do guys have to behave different, etc.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do see your point 43M and it's a valid one, I also look at it like this;

I actually admire the guy a bit for his guts. He basically came out and said "this is who I am, if you're not okay with that, don't waste my time by drafting me".

Which you know what, to me, shows a lot of fortitude. He's being honest about who he is and what people are getting in the person beyond the player. I think he started out on the right foot here and it shows the type of man he is imo. That's something I can appreciate.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: