Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

PoWww's NE Patriots Mock Draft V1
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoWww

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: PoWww's NE Patriots Mock Draft V1 Reply with quote

PoWwwís NE Patriots Mock Draft V1:

Before you criticize this mock, keep in mind that when I made this mock draft, I thought about what I could see happening. I did my best to try and imitate a BB and co. draft. This is not what I WANT to happen. Trades are hard to predict, so for the sake of that I didnít include any. But I think itís very possible that we trade down(most likely what I think is going to happen). Iím not including an in depth free agency, but I think the following things happen. 1. Julian Edelman re-signs. 2. Talib leaves town to the highest bidder. 3. Arthur Jones takes a reasonable contract to come to Foxboro and play with his little brother. 4. We sign a veteran corner to try and replace Talib

For those who donít know, we have the following picks going into this years draft:

Quote:
1st Round (NE)
2nd Round (NE)
3rd Round (NE)
4th Round (NE)
6th Round (PHI)
6th Round (NE)
7th Round (NE)

1st Round: Calvin Pryor, SS, Louisville:

Pick #29 rolls around and everyone Patriotís fan is yelling at their TV for a TE. Amaro, and Seferian-Jenkins are still on the board but the Patriots pass up on them for Calvin Pryor, the safety out of Louisville. I think itís a strong possibility that the Patriots cut Steven Gregory to gain cap space. For those of you who havenít seen Pryor play, I strongly suggest you watch any tape you can get on him. Pairing Pryor with McCourty would be a nightmare for opposing offenses. Pryor would bring energy, and a physicality to our defense, something I think we lack. Pryor is the type of safety that makes WRís scared to go over the middle, similar to the way Kam Chancellor does in Seattle. He also displays very good range.

2nd Round: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame

Patriots get their tight end that most were calling for in round 1. Niklas is my 3rd favorite TE in this class(behind Ebron and Lyerla). Ebron will be long gone before the Patriotís pick in the first and I think we shy away from the talented Lyerla for obvious reasons. Iíd much rather have Niklas instead of someone like Amaro or Fiedorwicz. Niklas is a former OLB who made the switch to Tight End after his freshman season. Niklas is a great blocker who can be a solid red zone target for Brady. I think heís one of the most well rounded TEís in this class. Depth behind Gronk is needed.

3rd Round: Anthony Steen, OG, Alabama

Iíll admit, Iím not the best at scouting offensive lineman. But Steen is someone I could see BB targeting. He was the only senior starter on an always solid Alabama line this season. He tore his labrum prior to Bamaís bowl game. The Saban connection always helps his case.

4th Round: Aaron Lynch, DE, USF

Lynch is a former Notre Dame DE that transferred to USF. The addition of Arthur Jones will be huge for our interior pass rush, but we need some help at DE as well. Nink and Jones played way too much last season. Lynch is a good athlete who will compete with Michael Buchanan for the #3 DE spot.

6th Round: Jacob Pedersen, TE, Wisconsin

Recently the Patriotís have double dipped at positions( TE with Gronk and Inmate #92109, RB with Ridley and Vereen, WR with Dobson and Boyce, etc.) I expect them to do that at TE in May. Pedersen is an undersized TE, but he was still a solid blocker in college. Pedersen has soft hands and could be a good complement to Gronk/ and Niklas

6th Round: Zack Kerr, DT, Delaware

Kerr is a quick DT who could be a steal at this point. His level of competition is a concern as well as his transferring from Maryland to Delaware for academic reasons. Low risk, possible high reward this late in the draft.

7th Round: Kenny Guiton, QB, Ohio State

Like I said in the draft thread, this a pick that I could really see happening. Guiton was a captain on a talented Ohio State team. Guiton is such a good leader that many, including his head coach, think he has a future in coaching football. Guiton looked solid when he took over for Braxton Miller, a heisman candidate, this season. BB isnít scared to draft back up college QBís, who hardly played, see: Matt Cassell.

Rip away, Patriots forum. Let me know what you think.

^Deadpulse
TomRalph wrote:
Looking forward to a Top 10 pick this year.

Adopt a Patriot- Stevan Ridley
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>1st round safety.

see avatar for reaction

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it overall. Fills the gaps well, though I would be disappointed if we drafted Steen, especially in the 3rd round. I don't see him as anything more than a reserve at the next level, continuing the trend of Saban offensive linemen in recent years: fine college player, doesn't have the athletic ability to cut it against NFL competition.

Pryor is a game changer, Niklas has nice upside, my one minor complaint would be not addressing defensive tackle enough. Adding Arthur Jones is a positive step, and Kerr would be a steal that late (he's going to blow up the combine), but I'd definitely like to see a DT taken earlier than the 6th. I really think the position needs a total overhaul outside Wilfork. Let Kelly, Siliga, Chris Jones fight for their spots in training camp (and cut Vellano FFS), but ideally for me only one of those guys is on the roster Week 1.

Deadpulse on the sig
Richter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No DT until the 6th? Pass.

Also, not everyone is screaming for a tight end. I think it would be a terrible waste of resources in this draft, except for a late flyer on a guy with some upside.
PoWww

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
>1st round safety.

see avatar for reaction

-Gregory cut
-Tavon Wilson sucks
-Nate Ebner is nothing but a special teamer
-Pryor is a perfect compliment to McCourty.

Harmon would go in the opening day starter, but keep in mind Tavon Wilson jumped him on the depth chart towards the end of the season. I'd expect Pryor to eventually become the starter and bring a physical presence to our secondary. I don't know about you, but I'm not ok with Wilson or Ebner being our back up safeties. Pryor would be an upgrade.

You probably wanted a DT in round 1? Arthur Jones, Wilfork, Siliga is solid. TE's other than Ebron aren't worth a first round pick.

^Deadpulse
TomRalph wrote:

PoWww

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:

Also, not everyone is screaming for a tight end. I think it would be a terrible waste of resources in this draft, except for a late flyer on a guy with some upside.

Most are. Almost every mock draft I see has us taking Jace Amaro. Niklas is one of the few TE's I like in this draft.

Jones, Wilfork, Siliga, Jones. Keep in mind Armstead is a wild card. Starting D-Line of Jones, Jones, Wilfork, Nink? Yes please.

^Deadpulse
TomRalph wrote:

Richter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoWww wrote:
Richter wrote:

Most are. Almost every mock draft I see has us taking Jace Amaro. Niklas is one of the few TE's I like in this draft.

Jones, Wilfork, Siliga, Jones. Keep in mind Armstead is a wild card. Starting D-Line of Jones, Jones, Wilfork, Nink? Yes please.

No, please. I like Arthur Jones more than most (since he was my guy back when he was a prospect, not a player), but coming up with the money for him along with their other re-signings will be difficult, and it still leaves them perilously thin at DT.

As for the tight end thing, my saying that not everyone is screaming for a tight end was a roundabout way of saying that I don't want to draft one early. Yes, lots of mock drafts have us taking Amaro, and most draftniks are stupid. I've got no problem with Pryor in the first, as it fills a big position of need with a solid prospect, but if they don't pick up a big body at some point in the first three rounds, I'll consider this draft a failure.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on this, I'm assuming Talib, Edelman(?), Wendell and Blount are retained or replaced with similar players? And Jones is signing as well? Where's all that money coming from?

Jones and Talib seem like an either/or for me. I don't see how the team signs both without letting Edelman go (and not replacing him externally) and IMO that's a big mistake.

I'm with Richter on this one. I'd be pretty unsatisfied with this. The first pick IMO has to be a lineman on either side of the ball or a CB if Talib goes. Those are positions where young, cost controlled players are extremely valuable.

I don't care for Gregory but moving from him to Pryor IMO would have a fairly low impact on the team's performance and you're not saving much money (which is a huge consideration when drafting)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Based on this, I'm assuming Talib, Edelman(?), Wendell and Blount are retained or replaced with similar players? And Jones is signing as well? Where's all that money coming from?

Jones and Talib seem like an either/or for me. I don't see how the team signs both without letting Edelman go (and not replacing him externally) and IMO that's a big mistake.

I'm with Richter on this one. I'd be pretty unsatisfied with this. The first pick IMO has to be a lineman on either side of the ball or a CB if Talib goes. Those are positions where young, cost controlled players are extremely valuable.

I don't care for Gregory but moving from him to Pryor IMO would have a fairly low impact on the team's performance and you're not saving much money (which is a huge consideration when drafting)

It says near the top of the post what the moves are. Edelman and Jones in, Talib out with a veteran brought in to replace him.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

It says near the top of the post what the moves are. Edelman and Jones in, Talib out with a veteran brought in to replace him.

Oops. Point remains the same. A 'veteran' to replace Talib + Jones + Edelman + filling out the roster (Fletcher, another RB, a center etc) seems like a whole lot of money unless the veteran CB is marginal. In which case, a CB has to be a draft priority somewhere.

I don't see any value in a 1st round safety and 2nd round TE given the needs and cap situation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Oops. Point remains the same. A 'veteran' to replace Talib + Jones + Edelman + filling out the roster (Fletcher, another RB, a center etc) seems like a whole lot of money unless the veteran CB is marginal. In which case, a CB has to be a draft priority somewhere.

I don't see any value in a 1st round safety and 2nd round TE given the needs and cap situation.

I can see the value in the first round safety if it's a substantial upgrade from Gregory, which I do believe Pryor would be. If the Patriots make all the expected cuts and ditch Gregory, they'll be in the neighborhood of having $11 million to spend on free agency and their draft class. That's not a ton of room to operate. Best case scenario, they restructure Wilfork and get some relief on the Hernandez thing, and maybe end up with $15-17 million when all is said and done. They can get away with cutting Gregory and taking a first round safety in either scenario, but there's no way they're bringing in Jones and keeping Edelman. Let's say Edelman takes a hometown discount and signs for something like 4 years and $24 million, with half of it in bonuses and incentives. You can figure his cap charge in the first year is going to be not that far south of $5 million unless they really backload it, which eats up most of that usable space right off the bat. They'll already be down to Wilfork and whatever flotsam and jetsam they decide to keep around at the DT position, minus Kelly and Sopoaga, without the financial flexibility to sign Jones. And Talib is long gone in this scenario, so the guy they sign to replace him isn't going to be a top-tier free agent. As a consequence, if they want something more than street free agents and a recovering Wilfork at the DT position, they HAVE to invest draft picks there.
m haynes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the player but not in 1st round. I would replace the pick with Stephon Tuitt DT - Notre Dame,Justin Gilbert CB - Oklahoma State or Darqueze Dennard CB - Michigan State. I don't see CBs falling that low. Wishful thinking. Here's players I would look at

1 Stephon Tuitt DT -ND
2. Weston Richburg C - CS
3. Deandre Coleman, DT - Cal
4. Chris Burnette OG - Georgia
6. Devonta Freeman RB - Florida State
7. Tyler Lockett WR - Kansas State
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

I can see the value in the first round safety if it's a substantial upgrade from Gregory, which I do believe Pryor would be. If the Patriots make all the expected cuts and ditch Gregory, they'll be in the neighborhood of having $11 million to spend on free agency and their draft class. That's not a ton of room to operate. Best case scenario, they restructure Wilfork and get some relief on the Hernandez thing, and maybe end up with $15-17 million when all is said and done. They can get away with cutting Gregory and taking a first round safety in either scenario, but there's no way they're bringing in Jones and keeping Edelman. Let's say Edelman takes a hometown discount and signs for something like 4 years and $24 million, with half of it in bonuses and incentives. You can figure his cap charge in the first year is going to be not that far south of $5 million unless they really backload it, which eats up most of that usable space right off the bat. They'll already be down to Wilfork and whatever flotsam and jetsam they decide to keep around at the DT position, minus Kelly and Sopoaga, without the financial flexibility to sign Jones. And Talib is long gone in this scenario, so the guy they sign to replace him isn't going to be a top-tier free agent. As a consequence, if they want something more than street free agents and a recovering Wilfork at the DT position, they HAVE to invest draft picks there.

Seems like signing a marginal veteran + drafting Pryor isn't much (if any) upgrade over Gregory (or Harmon) and Talib. If anything, that's a step back for the secondary. Arthur Jones isn't nearly a disruptive enough pass rusher to make that trade off worth it IMO. He's a solid player, but how much better is he than a healthy Tommy Kelly? Is he $3M in cap + a downgrade in the secondary better? I don't think so.

I like Jones as a player, but I don't see a ton of value in signing him unless he comes in well below market value. Maybe he takes a steep discount to play with his brother, but the Pats will still need something resembling a disruptive pass-rusher for their sub packages because Jones doesn't really have that skill set.

Talib + Kelly + 1st round (or early 2nd round if they move down a little) DT probably comes in around the same price as Pryor + stopgap veteran CB + Arthur Jones. And the former scenario is far more likely to actually improve the D from last year's performance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Seems like signing a marginal veteran + drafting Pryor isn't much (if any) upgrade over Gregory (or Harmon) and Talib. If anything, that's a step back for the secondary. Arthur Jones isn't nearly a disruptive enough pass rusher to make that trade off worth it IMO. He's a solid player, but how much better is he than a healthy Tommy Kelly? Is he $3M in cap + a downgrade in the secondary better? I don't think so.

I like Jones as a player, but I don't see a ton of value in signing him unless he comes in well below market value. Maybe he takes a steep discount to play with his brother, but the Pats will still need something resembling a disruptive pass-rusher for their sub packages because Jones doesn't really have that skill set.

Talib + Kelly + 1st round (or early 2nd round if they move down a little) DT probably comes in around the same price as Pryor + stopgap veteran CB + Arthur Jones. And the former scenario is far more likely to actually improve the D from last year's performance.

I dunno if you were responding specifically to me or to the discussion in general, but at no point do I view Jones as a realistic acquisition. I don't think Talib even figures into this scenario at all. He either comes in with a number the Patriots find palatable (south of $7 million AAV) or he walks. I think it's basically one of Edelman or Talib, some lower end veteran signings and the rookie class. The only way a guy like Jones is brought in is if they decide to save $8 million by cutting Wilfork loose. The scenario with Pryor would hopefully be Talib+Pryor+2nd & 3rd round DT, which could make for a pretty potent back end and not leave the front totally depleted. Kelly would have to go, along with most of the other bubble vets, to make this happen and have any shot at retaining Edelman.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

I dunno if you were responding specifically to me or to the discussion in general, but at no point do I view Jones as a realistic acquisition. I don't think Talib even figures into this scenario at all. He either comes in with a number the Patriots find palatable (south of $7 million AAV) or he walks. I think it's basically one of Edelman or Talib, some lower end veteran signings and the rookie class. The only way a guy like Jones is brought in is if they decide to save $8 million by cutting Wilfork loose. The scenario with Pryor would hopefully be Talib+Pryor+2nd & 3rd round DT, which could make for a pretty potent back end and not leave the front totally depleted. Kelly would have to go, along with most of the other bubble vets, to make this happen and have any shot at retaining Edelman.

Responding generally since Arthur Jones seems to be the forum binky right now. Seems like a lot of folks are hoping for an Edeleman/Jones/Talib(or Grimes) trio which seems really unrealistic barring huge discounts or major cap moves (i.e. cutting Wilfork which just opens up another hole).

One of their 2 big tickets (Edelman/Talib) is going to chew up 50-60% of their likely cap room. They still need to add a LS, LB depth, RB, TE's, rookies, a backup OL to replace Svitek, etc. Even with rookies taking some of those spots, they will still probably bring in their usual 5-8 veteran bargain bin guys who will chew up the remaining cap room (and then some). Figure in their usual $5-6 "emergency" fund cushion and I don't see any cap room for Jones unless he takes a massive discount. And if the plan is to let Talib go, they have to improve their pass rush to help offset the downgrade in the secondary. Jones isn't an answer there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: