Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Former GM Angelo on QBs/Romo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
be WARE94

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
From what I've seen, there have been times when Romo has played well enough to win, but the team let him down and he gotten overly scrutinized for a couple mistakes. Other times he's stunk up the joint but was far from the only player to do so.

Basically, he's shown up and lost and not shown up and lost. Ironically, that's exactly how I feel about the Tony Romo debate, no matter where you stand on him. You can show up and not win the argument, or not show up and not win the argument. I lean toward the latter.

yeah it's basically lose lose when talking Romo anymore.....he has had TOO many primetime meltdowns and final second blunders.....unless he wins a super bowl thats going to be the way his story is written.....NOBODY will care about his epic moments or the fact that he practically carried this poor excuse for a football team the last 3-5 years.....all they care about is that he hasn't won a super bowl.....guess thats the way it goes in NFL QB world Sad lol
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be WARE94 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
From what I've seen, there have been times when Romo has played well enough to win, but the team let him down and he gotten overly scrutinized for a couple mistakes. Other times he's stunk up the joint but was far from the only player to do so.

Basically, he's shown up and lost and not shown up and lost. Ironically, that's exactly how I feel about the Tony Romo debate, no matter where you stand on him. You can show up and not win the argument, or not show up and not win the argument. I lean toward the latter.

yeah it's basically lose lose when talking Romo anymore.....he has had TOO many primetime meltdowns and final second blunders.....unless he wins a super bowl thats going to be the way his story is written.....NOBODY will care about his epic moments or the fact that he practically carried this poor excuse for a football team the last 3-5 years.....all they care about is that he hasn't won a super bowl.....guess thats the way it goes in NFL QB world Sad lol

Isnt that true in all professional sports though? Some level of post season success at least? Romo's 34 years old and has only won a wild card game against a team the defense shutout the week before and held to 14 during the playoffs. Every other elimination game has pretty much been a disaster from Romo.

be WARE94

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

Isnt that true in all professional sports though? Some level of post season success at least? Romo's 34 years old and has only won a wild card game against a team the defense shutout the week before and held to 14 during the playoffs. Every other elimination game has pretty much been a disaster from Romo.

no doubt Tony has had a rough go of it in "big" games during his career i won't deny that and he deserves a GOOD bit of the criticism for those failures....but you know as well as i do you can't look at all these epic collapses,embarrassments,final minute follies and blame it ALL on Romo.....he's clearly been the best player on our team by a good margin for YEARS now and has helped both MASK and bring to the forefront our coaching deficiencies since parcels left.....there isn't a doubt in MY mind that if we built this team properly from 07 on and actually infused some GOOD coaching into the organization Romo would've had MORE post season success at this point and who knows....dare i say a Super bowl?......when this era of cowboys football is over i'm fine with people saying Tony underachieved......i just hope that him "choking" in 6-7 games doesn't override all the GOOD he has done in MOST games......even though i know it will Confused
be WARE94

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and believe me i've cursed Romos name PLENTY of times(on here even you can look it up) he's certainly a frustrating player....but once the dust settles and you are able to put the ENTIRE game into perspective and not JUST the questionable throw Tony made late in the fourth.....you realize the Dallas Cowboys have much MUCH bigger problems then Romo.....problems on the field,on the sideline, and heck that's not ENOUGH for "Americas Team" we also have problems in the owners box.....One man.....Quarterback or not.....Talented or Not......Well paid or not......ONE man can't mask/fix ALL of that....y'kno
Matts4313

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

of course, with out romo, we aren't anywere near good enough to get to those elimination games to actually "choke" away.

which, isn't that the point? Two different QBs took the miners to the NFC champ game in consecutive years.... So is it the QB or the talent surrounding?

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
retrolock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I'm not surprised Romo broke his back last season, he had been carrying this team for far too long. He is also being stabbed in the back by fans since 2006 lol.

I bet both plan and slam admire Romo secretly, but Jerry loves him so they in turn must hate the guy.

Slam mentioned during the season that Romo became Alex Smith 2.0, he dinked and dunked. I thought you guys wanted that? For Romo to take care of the ball? But you guys must realize that our D sucked so bad that the only way to win was a gunslinging Romo throwing the ball. We had Murray, but would you trust a guy who's injury prone for 20-30 carries a game? We had Dez, but the guy often disappears because Romo the game manager refuses to throw in his way for fear of INT.

We had that kind of Romo and we still lost the season. Now these boneheads in the FO should shore up our D Line, cut some old players so we can have a complete team.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrolock wrote:
Man, I'm not surprised Romo broke his back last season, he had been carrying this team for far too long. He is also being stabbed in the back by fans since 2006 lol.

I bet both plan and slam admire Romo secretly, but Jerry loves him so they in turn must hate the guy.

You'd lose that bet. I've never been a fan of Romo's because Inhave openly stated that I despise gunslining QBs because of their tendencies to make horrible mistakes and have propensities to make them at the worst possible moments.

When you couple that with a weak minded QB, you have a team stuck in mediocrity. Romo is not a guy who can handle the pressure of those games. He's a stats compiler not a winner. He comes up small in nearly every big moment.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
retrolock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
retrolock wrote:

You'd lose that bet. I've never been a fan of Romo's because Inhave openly stated that I despise gunslining QBs because of their tendencies to make horrible mistakes and have propensities to make them at the worst possible moments.

When you couple that with a weak minded QB, you have a team stuck in mediocrity. Romo is not a guy who can handle the pressure of those games. He's a stats compiler not a winner. He comes up small in nearly every big moment.

I just don't see the weak-minded part especially this year man. I mean the guy had 31 td to only 10 ints. His production was better than most QBs that made the playoffs this year. Yeah he was such a choker he led the team to the game winning drive against the lowly redskins with a slipped disk. And why pray tell did the redskins almost upset us? Because our D didn't stop the one read cousins and freaking Garcon.

Seattle led the league in take away points. They also had always good FG start because their special teams didn't allow a big gain on kick and punt returns. Even Alex Smith, that living example of a game manager, had the best back in jamaal charles and a defense that destroyed o-lines.

Drew Brees, a gunslinger, won his SB when his defense was phenomenal. Well, if you hand out bounties for hits no wonder they thrived.

Blame Romo all you want but please, this team has more problems than him and I know you know it. Now this upcoming draft, are you willing to trade up to draft an NFL-ready QB or shore up the D-line?
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only NFL ready QB in this draft is Teddy Bridgewater, and we all know that Jerry isn't going to take a QB. He's married to that horrible contract AND we avoid drafting QBs as if the position is HIV or cancer. We're not likely to pay any attention or commit to a new QB until after Romo is gone and the need has become a heaping dumpster fire.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Just for the record, there really is no such thing as "played good enough to win". Either you win or you don't...period.

Whether you throw for 500yds and lose or 150yds and lose, the result is the same. You didn't make enough plays to win...you needed at least one more play.

Just saying.

Well when its not your fault that the last play that you needed wasn't made..

...you lost.

.. so just because the team lost he should take the blame? Is that what you're saying?

^ made by CalhounLambeau
cowboyfanin2890

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Receivers running the wrong routes, plays barely getting in to Romo in time to get up to the line, head coach choking away multiple games, D giving up more and O-coordinator not able to manage a lead. Yet people will dwell on the man who has kept this team above futility since he came in during the second half of the Giants game. Coaching means so much in the real world whether its in football or life, management is a key. Romo has had to do so much each season because of bad ownership and stupid coaches that I am amazed that he leads us to a do or die game, but it takes a team to win them type of games, not just a QB.
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Just for the record, there really is no such thing as "played good enough to win". Either you win or you don't...period.

Whether you throw for 500yds and lose or 150yds and lose, the result is the same. You didn't make enough plays to win...you needed at least one more play.

Just saying.

Well when its not your fault that the last play that you needed wasn't made..

...you lost.

.. so just because the team lost he should take the blame? Is that what you're saying?

There's no blame...either you make enough plays and win or you don't. You really won't see my blame Romo for anything. I know without question that we would still have baseball players playing QB if Romo didn't be out those clowns JJ brought in.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowboyfanin2890 wrote:
Receivers running the wrong routes, plays barely getting in to Romo in time to get up to the line, head coach choking away multiple games, D giving up more and O-coordinator not able to manage a lead. Yet people will dwell on the man who has kept this team above futility since he came in during the second half of the Giants game. Coaching means so much in the real world whether its in football or life, management is a key. Romo has had to do so much each season because of bad ownership and stupid coaches that I am amazed that he leads us to a do or die game, but it takes a team to win them type of games, not just a QB.

How do you define futility? For me its not making the playoffs. Only a fool would say that the QB is fully responsible for wins and losses...but good or bad he is the only player on the team with a win/loss record.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

of course, with out romo, we aren't anywere near good enough to get to those elimination games to actually "choke" away.

which, isn't that the point? Two different QBs took the miners to the NFC champ game in consecutive years.... So is it the QB or the talent surrounding?

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to say. But if you are trying to say that the 49ers are the model franchise we should follow, then I think you are actually advocating dumping Romo and his huge salary to build up the entire team. Then draft a young QB or bring in a reasonably priced FA QB to manage the game which is doable when the rest of the team dominates the trenches.

cowboyfanin2890

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to say. But if you are trying to say that the 49ers are the model franchise we should follow, then I think you are actually advocating dumping Romo and his huge salary to build up the entire team. Then draft a young QB or bring in a reasonably priced FA QB to manage the game which is doable when the rest of the team dominates the trenches.

I think he is talking about having a team AROUND a QB allowing him to play QB and not game winner all the time. I hope the D is top 15 this year and the O-line continues to improve and I think we will see a better team and QB next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: