Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dulac - Steelers intend to take a tall WR...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Dulac - Steelers intend to take a tall WR... Reply with quote

Within the 1st two rounds. From his chat.

Quote:
Gerry Dulac: I think they will stick with what they have, plus draft a tall receiver in the first or second round. I think they will let Sanders leave in free agency for a number of reasons and are perfectly comfortable thinking Markus Wheaton will not only replace him, but also be a much better receiver. Their intent is to take a tall receiver early -- they have already indicated that to Ben Roethlisberger -- another indication that Sanders will be gone.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/02/12/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-2-12-14/stories/201402120146

Dulac has been beating this drum consistently in his chats for about two months now.

Also interesting:
Gerry Dulac: Absolutely. The Steelers not only need some new young players, they will also need a player with experience. I think the Steelers will pursue some type of starter in free agency, unlike past years, and it will most likely be on defense.

On drafting a NT:
Gerry Dulac: I won't rule out that possibility because the Steelers know they have to do something about that position, whether it's with personnel or how the position is supposed to be played. I'm not ready to say Steve McLendon isn't the answer or might be better suited as a DE. But I know they think their problems with their run defense had a lot to do with the nose-tackle spot after letting Casey Hampton go.

On Worilds, and Ike:
Gerry Dulac: The Steelers intend to re-sign Jason Worilds, which means they will likely let LaMarr Woodley go. Woodley is the second-hoghest paid player on the team and he has been unreliable and unproductive the past 2 1/2 years. It might cost the Steelers a little more than they would like to sign Worilds and keep him from free agency. But , understand this, outside linebacker is the most important position in the Steelers' 3-4 defense and that player will be paid as such. When Ike Taylor is released or asked to take a huge pay cut, that money will be used to pay Allen . Brett Keisel's money, and in another year or so, Troy Polamalu's money will be used to pay Cam Heyward. Stop fretting.

Ike again:
Gerry Dulac: Huge pay cut or released. One of the two. Count on it.

So, things that he seems to have sources on:
-Steelers aren't happy with McLendon at NT.
-Steelers do want a tall WR, and have told Ben they will finally give him what he wants.
-Ike will not be back at his current salary.
-Woodley is likely gone if they keep Worilds, and they have every intention of doing so.
-They have a lot of faith in Wheaton.
Roethlisberger, on the impact of re-signing Jonathan Dwyer after Dwyer was cut because he's not very good at football: “He adds the Jonathan Dwyer effect. He can be the best running back that he can be.”
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read the more likely it seems they will cut Woodley. I know it doesn't save them much this year but it clears them up big time for the long term. It's a shame too, I mean I made my username 56 because of him. They better get another good LB and give him 56. If it's another terrible backup O-linemen like Chukky Okobi I'll lose it.

::EDIT::

I figure I might as well throw some more opinions in this post instead of just ranting about my username.

I hope they do go after a tall WR but I don't think they'll pigeonhole themselves into it. I doubt the FO would give away something like that this early. Remember the Revis thing? I do think a tall possession type WR would really help our offense, though.

I'd love to get Benjamin or Evans. I was pretty low on Evans but I'm starting to really like him. He's tough, sneaky fast, and has great hands. I think he might be the pick at 15 and I know some don't like it but I'm softening a bit to it.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dulac is the worst Steelers writer out there. He makes Wexall look like a genius.

I'm almost tempted to think the Steelers will do the opposite of what he said but most of us have already figured out what he mentioned.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the #87 Sid's sig!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is on the board, I'd be really surprised to see Kelvin Beachum get passed on.

Sig courtesy of IDOG
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOSteelers56 wrote:
The more I read the more likely it seems they will cut Woodley. I know it doesn't save them much this year but it clears them up big time for the long term. It's a shame too, I mean I made my username 56 because of him. They better get another good LB and give him 56. If it's another terrible backup O-linemen like Chukky Okobi I'll lose it.

I figure I might as well throw some more opinions in this post instead of just ranting about my username.

I hope they do go after a tall WR but I don't think they'll pigeonhole themselves into it. I doubt the FO would give away something like that this early. Remember the Revis thing? I do think a tall possession type WR would really help our offense, though.

I'd love to get Benjamin or Evans. I was pretty low on Evans but I'm starting to really like him. He's tough, sneaky fast, and has great hands. I think he might be the pick at 15 and I know some don't like it but I'm softening a bit to it.

Dont put too much into what Dulac says. He is wrong more often than he is right.

Cutting Woodley makes zero sense, whether they keep Worlids or not. We dont know what we have in Jones yet and cutting Woodley doesnt save us enough money to do anything with. Yes, it clears up cap in the future....but cutting him next year would do the same thing, but give us an extra year with him to see what he has left.

Can I say for sure we wont cut Woodley? Obviously not, but it would be a laughably stupid move. If they cut Woodley, and gave Worlids a huge contract, I will have little to no faith in Colbert and Tomlin going forward.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
If he is on the board, I'd be really surprised to see Kelvin Beachum get passed on.

Yeah....Id love to see our current LT playing WR.

At least he would be a good blocker. Cool

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything from the FO right now is a smoke screen.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

Yeah....Id love to see our current LT playing WR.

At least he would be a good blocker. Cool

LOL I meant Benjamin...that would be interseting though wouldnt it? To see Beachum playing WR. Hopefully, they only do that during preseason.

Sig courtesy of IDOG
steelkev43

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
MOSteelers56 wrote:

Dont put too much into what Dulac says. He is wrong more often than he is right.

Cutting Woodley makes zero sense, whether they keep Worlids or not. We dont know what we have in Jones yet and cutting Woodley doesnt save us enough money to do anything with. Yes, it clears up cap in the future....but cutting him next year would do the same thing, but give us an extra year with him to see what he has left.

Can I say for sure we wont cut Woodley? Obviously not, but it would be a laughably stupid move. If they cut Woodley, and gave Worlids a huge contract, I will have little to no faith in Colbert and Tomlin going forward.

You think that if they sign Worilds they will still keep Woodely?
I don't think there is any way that happens. Just can't afford it.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelkev43 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
MOSteelers56 wrote:

You think that if they sign Worilds they will still keep Woodely?
I don't think there is any way that happens. Just can't afford it.

You do realize that cutting Woodley this year doesnt save us anything, right? Even as a post June 1st cut, the amount we save is negligible.

And as I stated, if we sign Worlids to such a deal that we have to worry about the size of his contract going forward, this front office is hopeless. Cant believe people are suddenly willing to pay this guy huge money because a half of a "great" season.

simonwayne wrote:
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't think Worilds resigns with the Steelers. I think we'll try, but at the end of the day the FO, if they're smart, won't say "We Guarantee you the starting job" and he's suggested (based on what I've read) that's what he wants.

Emmanuel Sanders won't be back, that's almost certain, I have a strong feeling Worilds won't be either. In fact I'm not real sure that outside of Arnfelt and Al Woods ANY of our FA's will be back.

Perhaps that's not all that bad of a thing either.

Sig courtesy of IDOG
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect the Titans to go after Worlids.

We all know how much Whisenhunt likes to leach our roster....and with them switching to the 34, they will need another "quality" OLB opposite Derrick Morgan.

simonwayne wrote:
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few more big bodied WRs in this draft then there have been in the past.

I like Kelvin Benjamin a lot but he openly stated that he gets frustrated when he doesn't get the ball. Not saying that a issue, but with the Steelers Big Ben spreads the ball around to everybody. But I also believe Kelvin Benjamin can do a lot with 42-47 catches.

Dulac has said a lot of things in the past that didn't come true. Just because he works closely with the team doesn't give him insiders info. The steelers are pretty tight lipped about decision they make. So believing Dulac is about 30%.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furthermore to SP's point...is it really that hard to conjure up the theory that Pittsburgh would be after a big bodied WR?

We have short, non-deep threat receivers. We're losing Plaxico Burress, Jerricho Cotchery, & Emmanuel Sanders to free agency. We'll be left with AB, MW, & Derek Moye...essentially a foreign car and an interstater.

So saying "Hey a team with short, non-burner receivers is going to target a tall burner receiver" isn't that hard to write an article about. This is nothing more than theory from Captain Obvious.

Sig courtesy of IDOG
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You do realize that cutting Woodley this year doesnt save us anything, right? Even as a post June 1st cut, the amount we save is negligible.

While I'm not a fan of cutting Woodley and putting dead money into next year, they would save 6m this year by cutting him. But by the time they get that, unless it's needed for extensions they plan on, I don't see the point. It certainly wouldn't help with FA.

The biggest issue with Worilds is going to be whether he wants to sign here. I really hope that if he does walk, it's just about money. I don't want two seasons straight where young guys walk because they don't want to play for the team.

Quote:
Furthermore to SP's point...is it really that hard to conjure up the theory that Pittsburgh would be after a big bodied WR?

Presumably Dulac heard this from someone that seems to be close to Ben's camp. But it obviously doesn't take an inside source. Dulac may report bad info, but I don't think he just makes things up.
Roethlisberger, on the impact of re-signing Jonathan Dwyer after Dwyer was cut because he's not very good at football: “He adds the Jonathan Dwyer effect. He can be the best running back that he can be.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: