Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Football players at WR
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwalker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Football players at WR Reply with quote

I'm a fan of these fellas...think they're under-rated...

Davante Adams, Fresno St (stud)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvGeiqmqWE0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D1Le9FmIe0

Jarvis Landry, LSU (ready to play, strong routes/hands)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYU5cM27-BI

Donte Moncrief, Ole-MIss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2KTeJEIs-c

Robert Herron, Wyoming (slot)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApdgeabiM_4

Josh Huff, Oregon (slot)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uciODLYdfbQ
BigSnack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i like a couple of them....... if you could put landrys hands on donte that would be money.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5885/emmanuel-sanders

also looks like the talk is Ben is getting a bigger target, but we will see

Yeast infection.
mwalker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigSnack wrote:
ya i like a couple of them....... if you could put landrys hands on donte that would be money.

D.Adams doesn't drop much and at 6'2 215, i think he qualifies as a big target. I'd like Benjamin, but not in round 1 like some suggest. Evans I still feel is over-rated.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football players at WR? As opposed to.... dancing clowns at WR? Wink

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwalker wrote:
BigSnack wrote:

D.Adams doesn't drop much and at 6'2 215, i think he qualifies as a big target. I'd like Benjamin, but not in round 1 like some suggest. Evans I still feel is over-rated.

I agree with most of this.

Not referring to you walker, but I think too many people are forgetting or writing off Markus Wheaton simply because he wasnt a big part of the offense last year. I thought he showed some decent flashes, and think he will at least be able to replace what we will likely lose in Manny Sanders.

My point in all of this is the fact that I see too many people who want WRs that are too similar to guys like Brown and Wheaton, and if we are to draft a receiving threat in the first 3 rounds, IMO, it better be a big bodied physical target....be it a WR or TE. I dont want another quick smurf or speed guy (unless its crazy speed).

Now, Im not saying we should take a lesser talented big target over a more talented small target, but if this offense is to take off IMO, we need players that compliment each other well. And Ive said that I think a big bodied, physical guy could be invaluable to this offense, because we regularly struggle in the red zone, and the two biggest issues behind that IMO are lack of a running game and lack of a good red zone target. I think the running game will improve, but I still desperately wish we had that big bodied redzone guy to not only produce in the redzone, but also be such a threat that he pulls coverage off of other players, thus making them better in the redzone.

There are actually quite a few WRs I like this draft, both early and mid rounds....so I wouldnt break my neck trying to get one early.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
32houchen32

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physical WR would be nice. Another fast guy is nice too.

As long as we draft one early/mid i will be pleased.

I don't think it wouldn't hurt to double dip. One early/mid and one late.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a larger possession guy as well. And if not that, one that can high-point the ball, at least, to give Ben a decent chance inside the 20, that's why I like Watkins--even at 6'1", he plays like he's taller, and honestly, that's all Ben needs...a guy with a larger catch radius.

Man, I wish was when I was younger I was bigger than 5'11", 150 (and now that I'm older I wish I was smaller than 5'11" 190! Laughing ) and ran faster than a 5.9 40...I would've been an ideal WR (or an ideal OT if I was REALLY bigger), in high school football. Why? Because I have "gorilla" arms. I can't where an oxford with less than 36" arms. (I think that was why I was good at Trombone--yeah, I was a "band geek", so what of it!)

Anyway, my point is even if a guy is short, if he has long arms or "ups", they can play a lot bigger than they are, giving the QB a larger "window" to throw to.

Speed is nice, but unless you have insane speed like Wallace, DBs can adjust, but speed does nothing for you in the RZ. How many times did Wallace high-point a TD pass?

BTW, did anyone hear about Dulac stating that the team told Ben they'd draft him a big WR "early"? Ah, let the pre-draft "mis-information" train take off!

EDIT: Hilarious! CK posts this within minutes of me asking the ?...

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
treat88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really hoping Ebron is that big body.

He adds so much more versatility than a Evans or a Benjamin.

Watkins, Ebron, and ODB are the only receivers I would be happy with in round 1 and only 1 of them offers a distinctly different skillset than what we currently have.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebron is soft. not sure if he is a Steeler type TE. That does not mean that they can/should not break the mold but Amaro and ASJ are better fits.

he also might blow up the combine next week and get before 15.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Ebron is soft. not sure if he is a Steeler type TE. That does not mean that they can/should not break the mold but Amaro and ASJ are better fits.

I like ASJ. He reminds me of a slightly better athlete than Heath coming out. I'd like to try and snag him or Niklas after round 1 and grab someone like Benjamin or Evans in the 1st.
treat88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:

Soft like he isn't a run blocking mauler soft or soft like he doesn't like contact soft? One I agree with, one I don't.

Ebron is an undoubtedly non traditional prospect as a Steelers TE, in that he is primarily a receiving threat, but I don't think that makes him less of a "fit". It simply makes him capable of being a primary read versus the tertiary option that Miller has always been. Maybe Haley's system wouldn't support picking him at 15, but then again, Tony G. Had 83, 70, and 80 catches with Haley on board so who knows? (proactive, no, here. I'm not saying Ebron is Tony G)

No question he might go off the board before our pick. I'll be optimistic til post combine at least. I think he'd diversify this O like no other prospect in the class.

I get folks preferring Amaro if they think he can be had in the second. ASJ is at least a tier below either talent wise. Probably behind Nicklas in terms of this TE class as well.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft like he does not want to block. He will be a big receiver in the Vernon Davis mold. I do not think the Steelers like TE that do not block.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
jebrick wrote:

Soft like he isn't a run blocking mauler soft or soft like he doesn't like contact soft? One I agree with, one I don't.

Ebron is an undoubtedly non traditional prospect as a Steelers TE, in that he is primarily a receiving threat, but I don't think that makes him less of a "fit". It simply makes him capable of being a primary read versus the tertiary option that Miller has always been. Maybe Haley's system wouldn't support picking him at 15, but then again, Tony G. Had 83, 70, and 80 catches with Haley on board so who knows? (proactive, no, here. I'm not saying Ebron is Tony G)

No question he might go off the board before our pick. I'll be optimistic til post combine at least. I think he'd diversify this O like no other prospect in the class.

I get folks preferring Amaro if they think he can be had in the second. ASJ is at least a tier below either talent wise. Probably behind Nicklas in terms of this TE class as well.

I agree with all of this.

Even if Ebron doesnt fit the "Steelers mold", who cares? The traditional Steelers mold of players are fading away whether people want to admit it or not.

For years, people said our mold at CBs was taking physical CBs that could tackle? And where did that leave us? It left us short of quality cover corners in a league where the passing game is dominant.

For years, people said our mold of OTs was big, heavy road graders? What did that leave us with? Fat, uncoordinated buffoons who regularly get burnt by todays more athletic defenders.

Not only are they fading away, but the type of players we traditionally draft at other positions arent as suited for the modern NFL.

Im not saying the Steelers should completely ignore their roots or what players they go after, but if they arent willing to compromise and change the way they do things, we are going to be average or worse for a long long time.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Steelers will have a lot of interest in Ebron. He has the size and frame to block. He did show some improvement. He's not a lost cause. Beyond that, Haley LOVES his WR's. They already have Miller for another year. If you look at the top 3 TE's in this draft, two aren't great blockers and the other is a guy I would be shocked if the team drafted.

Miller has one year left. TE is a pretty big need. You can either wait a year and either have to pay Miller for a third contract with no leverage, or draft Ebron which completely changes the equation. I wouldn't mind Amaro, either, depending who is on the board.

And Moncrief is being underrated. I'm pushed him in a few threads now, but watch that guy run. Effortless, smooth, cuts like Antonio Brown, and descent long speed and size. I'm very curious to see where he gets drafted. He should be a 2nd rounder.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
mwalker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things...

While Ebron is not like the TEs of the past in terms of great blocker first, but a receiver second - he's not nearly as bad as some are suggesting.

He's a better blocker than FInley or Graham coming out, but even if you disagree...why do we need a clone of Bruener, Miller in today's nfl anyway?

To me it's about offensive diversity, and his speed from the position is something we could really use. He'll block better than Benjamin would and might even run as fast at the combine (we'll see).

If you want more of a Bruener, MIller clone - or O doesn't get any more diverse. I think a little evolution is needed.

Sefarin-Jenkins and Niklas are more 'typical' steeler TEs (better blockers-but won't stretch the field) - I'm just saying I'm not sure that's what we need.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: