Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Free Agency, let the cuts begin (Around the Legue)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textaz03

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forty Winers extended WR Anquan Boldin for 2 years - 12 Mil.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Cerbs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:

They got a pretty great deal for him too. $6 million/yr for a guy that caught 85 balls last season is a steal. You only get away with that when your team is a Super Bowl threat every year.

Though it's going to catch up with them when they re-sign Kaepernick. He's apparently asking for more than Cutler.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerbs wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

They got a pretty great deal for him too. $6 million/yr for a guy that caught 85 balls last season is a steal. You only get away with that when your team is a Super Bowl threat every year.

Though it's going to catch up with them when they re-sign Kaepernick. He's apparently asking for more than Cutler.
from what I was reading today, starting point is 18 Mil a year for Crappernick

buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
Cerbs wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

If he wants that much they will let him play out his rookie contract, and probably draft his replacement in the draft this year.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
Cerbs wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

If he wants that much they will let him play out his rookie contract, and probably draft his replacement in the draft this year.

I think the 9ers will cave and pay him a king's ransom only to regret it later.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
buckwild wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
Cerbs wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

They will. No reason not too. Talented team around him, but he still has 2 NFC titles games and a SB appearance under his belt.

^^Kiltman^^
Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
textaz03

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franchise and Transition Tag deadline has now passed. Here is who got tagged:

@FieldYates: Rundown:
Franchise tags: Graham (Saints), Folk (Jets), Orakpo (Redskins), Hardy (Panthers)
Transition tag: Mack (Browns), Worilds (Steelers)

Shocked that Jets tagged Nick Folk.

TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bills won't use the franchise tag on S Jarius Byrd, making him a free agent. Hmmm...

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:

Franchise tags: Graham (Saints), Folk (Jets), Orakpo (Redskins), Hardy (Panthers)

What this ultimately means is that there should be a solid list of free agents to hit the market. I'm kinda surprised that Buffalo didn't tag Byrd again. I was really expecting to see that. It's also kinda strange that Cleveland would only use the Transition tag on Mack. They must be really confident that they can sign him to a long term deal.

Now to us, should we have the money, which players (regardless of contract size) do you guys think we're gonna look at? I think our top 4 free agents of interest (in alphabetical order by last name) are:

S Jarius Byrd - Likely to be one of the most expensive players in free agency, but one who will fill one of our greatest needs.

DT Henry Melton - If his knees check out, this one makes a lot of sense. He has a history with some of our coaches, has been very productive, and will likely come at a reduced rate due to his injuries.

DE Anthony Spencer - The lazy man's choice, but I can see us doing it to avoid trying to fill it in the draft. I think the hope is that we'd be able to sign him on the cheap due to a career of marginal sack productivity and because he's coming off of a major injury.

S TJ Ward - Another guy who would fill an immediate need but at a high price. Ward was arguably the second best player on Cleveland's defense, so he'll have a number of suitors, but I'm sure we'll talk about trying to sign him (only to pass due to the price).

Northland wrote:

Last edited by plan9misfit on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
The Bills won't use the franchise tag on S Jarius Byrd, making him a free agent. Hmmm...

I literally just said the same thing.

Northland wrote:
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

What this ultimately means is that there should be a solid list of free agents to hit the market. I'm kinda surprised that Buffalo didn't tag Byrd again. I was really expecting to see that. It's also kinda strange that Cleveland would only use the Transition tag on Mack. They must be really confident that they can sign him to a long term deal.

Now to us, should we have the money, which players (regardless of contract size) do you guys think we're gonna look at? I think our top 4 free agents of interest (in alphabetical order by last name) are:

S Jarius Byrd - Likely to be one of the most expensive players in free agency, but one who will fill one of our greatest needs.

DT Henry Melton - If his knees check out, this one makes a lot of sense. He has a history with some of our coaches, has been very productive, and will likely come at a reduced rate due to his injuries.

DE Anthony Spencer - The lazy man's choice, but I can see us doing it to avoid trying to fill it in the draft. I think the hope is that we'd be able to sign him on the cheap due to a career of marginal sack productivity and because he's coming off of a major injury.

S TJ Ward - Another guy who would fill an immediate need but at a high price. Ward was arguably the second best player on Cleveland's defense, so he'll have a number of suitors, but I'm sure we'll talk about trying to sign him (only to pass due to the price).

Would definitely be interested in top 2, Resigning Spencer is...well, an option I hope Dallas passes on, but can see it if price is right. As for Ward, think we already have him in Barry Church. Not sure I see the interest from ball club there. That could be on me though, as I'd like to see Church at SS.

^^Kiltman^^
Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a Spencer apologist, but I want no part of anyone coming of microfracture surgery. In a day where ACLs mean nothing and Achilles' don't mean much more, that's one of the only injuries left that can murder a career.

I could do a one year, $3M, prove-it deal, but the DE market is pretty bare and teams have more cap space than ever, so the economics on that probably don't work out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

Spencer would be the last guy I would attempt to re-sign. I believe he's the oldest of the bunch you listed. I'm unclear as to what the odds would be, but I would love to get a Jeremy Maclin type deal for Spencer. Just a one year, prove it to us contract, then either give him his money in 2015 or let him walk and go deteriorate elsewhere. He's also admitted to taking plays off in the past and to me, that's a red flag in long term investment.

I want Henry Melton. I believe we have a realistic shot of landing him because of the Dallas area being his home, ACL injury possibly keeping other teams away, and the fact that our defensive coordinator practically is responsible for Melton even being in a position to make bigger money. I believe he's a one-technique, and would provide solid depth if we're somehow able to keep Hatcher. I just really want us to focus primarily on the defensive trenches. I am ecstatic that the draft is favorably deep there. Signing Melton, and adding a few DL prospects should put us in a better position, regardless of what happens with D-Ware, Hatcher, and Spencer.

I like both safeties you listed, I just don't see us being able to compete financially with other teams.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
buckwild wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
Cerbs wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

They will. No reason not too. Talented team around him, but he still has 2 NFC titles games and a SB appearance under his belt.

Honestly I think it would be suicide for the Niners to attempt to replace him. They've been more successful with him under center than any squad since Steve Young circa 1994. If you're the Niners, you pay the man. No questions asked. You prioritize it up there with Patrick Willis. I'm not a fan of Kaepernick the slightest, I think he's a retard. But the guy can play the game. Can't take that away from him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
buckwild wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
Cerbs wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

They don't really have a choice.

You need a good starter at QB to stay afloat in this league. And if you got one, you're forced to pay out big to keep them - or risk losing them and spending another decade finding one as good or better.

As much hate as we especially as Dallas fans have for Kaep and the Niners, truth is, he's one of the better starters and has shown he can take a team deep into the playoffs. And as high as everyone is on Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles, and the rest...out of all of them, the league would be lucky if just one of them turn into anything good, let alone special. Odds are, most of them will be starters for a while who are nothing above average and end up as journeymen nothings. So it's either gamble on a new one (which we all know based on that 2001-06 plague of QBs) is not easy to do, or over pay and keep the one you've got.

It's a crapshoot, but you've gotta play with higher %'s ... which is ponying up to pay Kaep.

I mean, let's not forget, Leaf, Russel, Akili Smith, Couch, David Carr, Kyle Boller and Jason Campbell were all 'can't miss' QBs too going into the draft. Where they at now? For every Peyton, for every 2003 and 1983 draft class of QBs, there are dozens of Leafs and 2005 (That was the Young/Leinart one, right?) draft classes.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 4 of 19

Jump to: