Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Titans bedrock players
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Munch-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Titans bedrock players Reply with quote

They were doing a thing on ESPN for this. Teams are built from the inside out. Which group of players should the titans build around and why?

Kendall Wright
Delanie Walker
Chance Warmack

Jurrell Casey
Alterraun Verner
Jason McCourty
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add Justin Hunter an Brian Schwenke too the offensive list and I really can't make a case for much else on defense maybe Ayers

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Shaun Phillips:

Ropati Pitoitua:
titans0021

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're talking just three on each side of the ball, I'll go with...

Kendall Wright
Justin Hunter
Chance Warmack

Jurrell Casey
Jason McCourty
This is the tough one...I wish I could say Zach Brown but he doesn't fit here after this past season. Same goes for Ayers.
Hopefully Anthony Barr or Karlos Dansby Laughing
For now I guess I'll go with Derrick Morgan.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 0 receptions, 0 yards, 0 touchdowns
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach fits the coaching staff didn't fit
Dionysus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Redd10 wrote:
Zach fits the coaching staff didn't fit

I give a big AMEN to that!

I believe we'll see a major resurgence in our LB corps under Horton. Brown, Ayers, and McCarthy (if he can stay healthy) will erase all of these doubts in a more aggressive scheme. They could've done it last season if Greg Williams was running the show.

TitanSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think we have a solid group of LBers. I think Brown is going to be really good and I think Ayers is best suited as a stand up pass-rusher.

I expect Zaviar Gooden to come in and contribute as well. He is one of the fastest linebackers in the NFL and he is also very strong. He gets a lot of crap on here because he's too small, but he's the same height and 9 lbs lighter than Patrick Willis. He's going to be playing in space a lot of the time and 9 lbs isn't going to make a difference. He's got the speed and strength, so it will just be if he can play mentally at the NFL level.

I'm going to say build around the defense. We don't have a franchise QB here, barring a miracle season, and offense depends on that. Defense depends on all 11 players pulling their weight at the same time.

Keep adding playmakers on defense until we get our QB. Once we have our QB we can tell where we need to add playmakers on offense.
Justin615$

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
I honestly think we have a solid group of LBers. I think Brown is going to be really good and I think Ayers is best suited as a stand up pass-rusher.

I expect Zaviar Gooden to come in and contribute as well. He is one of the fastest linebackers in the NFL and he is also very strong. He gets a lot of crap on here because he's too small, but he's the same height and 9 lbs lighter than Patrick Willis. He's going to be playing in space a lot of the time and 9 lbs isn't going to make a difference. He's got the speed and strength, so it will just be if he can play mentally at the NFL level.

I'm going to say build around the defense. We don't have a franchise QB here, barring a miracle season, and offense depends on that. Defense depends on all 11 players pulling their weight at the same time.

Keep adding playmakers on defense until we get our QB. Once we have our QB we can tell where we need to add playmakers on offense.

Perfectly said. All of it.

2014 Adopt-A-Titan
1. Michael Griffin :
2. Mike Martin :
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:

Height/weight specs don't always translate to strength, meaning just because he's 9 lbs lighter than Willis doesn't mean he's as strong or as suited to take on and shed blocks. He will be playing in space, but if your linemen aren't eating blocks, that means your ILBs will be taking on alot of interior linemen and FBs. They need to be able to stack and shed blocks and attack run plays.

Put it this way, Colin McCarthy is only 2 lbs away from Patrick Willis. Do you think he should be one of our 3-4 ILB?

**RIP Steve McNair**
UTMoc10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In TitanSS's defense these are Willis combine #'s vs Gooden's.

Height - Gooden 6'1", Willis 6'1"
Weight - Gooden 234lbs, Willis 242 lbs.
40yd - Gooden 4.47, Willis 4.51
20yd Shuttle - Gooden 4.18, Willis 4.46
Bench - Gooden 27 reps, Willis 22 reps
Broad Jump - Gooden 131 inches, Willis 119 inches
Vertical - Gooden 34 inch, Willis 39 inches.

Gooden could've put on 8 lbs to match Willis's weight and still beat/matched him in every category except vertical.
Obviously Willis is a much more mature and smarter player but there is no reason to believe Gooden couldn't get smarter, improve his instincts and get better using his hands with better coaching.

Hard to believe Williis was drafted in '07. Definitely doesn't feel like it was 7 years ago. Shocked
KingTitan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't assume that Gooden isn't a good player because of what we saw from him last year or his measureables.

We also can't dismiss the fact that scheme changes have benefited players greatly in the past. We seen players become real threats simply by changing the scheme.

Maybe this the chance Gooden needs.

Last edited by KingTitan on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
therealdeal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can someone say Zach Brown doesn't fit??
Dionysus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OFFENSE
O-line (Interior): Along with Levitre, we have 2 young stud gonnabe's in Warmack and Schwenke as a solid middle base. We could/should continue to build on that by making sure that we bookend the edges with solid OTs. Roos might still have some game left in his tank, but it's time to start thinking about his potential successor at LT. The immediate concern is the RT spot. If the staff is not completely confident that Stingly is the answer at RT, then we should definitely take Jake Matthews with the 11th pick if he's still there. It's not sexy, but it would be a very smart move IMO. That's assuming we decide to go offense first.

Kendall Wright: This is the first consistent game changer at WR since Derrick Mason. He can be the "go to" guy, or the perfect decoy for other receivers. Defenses will have to start accounting for his whereabouts on the field at all times. He just need to get more TDs under his belt.

Shonn Greene: If we're cutting ties with CJ next season, then Greene is the perfect lead horse for some punishing ground 'n' pound attack, with Mooney lead blocking. Plus he's shown flashes that he can also do some damage with his pass catching out of the backfield. Use him (along with Battle) to wear down the defense and find a capable speed RB to compliment.

Jake Locker: Until further notice, the offense still goes through him. He's got grit, desire and promise, but he needs durability and a solid run game. I truly believe that his biggest problem, other than his durability issue, is he's just one of those late bloomers trying to cope in a "win now" league. He was still rough around the edges, but making good progress and winning games before he got hurt.

NOTE - At first I was all for drafting another QB in the mid to late rounds, but we already signed Tyler Wilson to the roster. Hes about as good as anything coming out in the mid rounds. He has some impressive accolades at Arkansas.

DEFENSE
Jurrell Casey:
Hes becoming a stud on the D-line with growing determination. Now we need to start adding the right pieces around him.

LB Corps: We got some talented young players who could become a dynamic group, probably one of the best corps in the league. That would be the strength of the defense.

Bernard Pollard: You have to keep him around for at least another season. He beings the leadership and attitude that's needed to our defense. If Horton's scheme is about aggression, then Pollard is the man you want leading the charge.

Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shonn Greene really? He's a guy we can't live without an have to build around? Titans can easily draft a RB or sign another I don't put Grenne on this Bed Rock list.

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Shaun Phillips:

Ropati Pitoitua:
TitanSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

Height/weight specs don't always translate to strength, meaning just because he's 9 lbs lighter than Willis doesn't mean he's as strong or as suited to take on and shed blocks. He will be playing in space, but if your linemen aren't eating blocks, that means your ILBs will be taking on alot of interior linemen and FBs. They need to be able to stack and shed blocks and attack run plays.

Put it this way, Colin McCarthy is only 2 lbs away from Patrick Willis. Do you think he should be one of our 3-4 ILB?

I never argued that Gooden had the instincts to be a MLB. My argument was he is a very strong player for his position.. someone already listed how he measured up to Willis in the bench press... he also squats well over 700 lbs.

Gooden's bench matched Muhammad Wilkerson's (6'5"-315lbs) just to give you an example of his upper body strength.

Now does he mentally have the instincts or have the hands to take on and shed blocks? I can't say that he does until I've seen him try. But no one can argue that he doesn't have the perfect physical tools for the position.
Justin615$

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titans fan 617 wrote:
Shonn Greene really? He's a guy we can't live without an have to build around? Titans can easily draft a RB or sign another I don't put Grenne on this Bed Rock list.

I agree. We will need to draft a RB if we cut CJ. Battle is a free agent and we can do better than him too.

2014 Adopt-A-Titan
1. Michael Griffin :
2. Mike Martin :

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: