Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Elbow Surgery for Ware, Austin a June 1st
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We save a lot more money by cutting/trading Ware anyway...if he doesn't take a pay cut, he's gone.

^^^Deadpulse
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
We save a lot more money by cutting/trading Ware anyway...if he doesn't take a pay cut, he's gone.

I think that's how the issue should be handled, but our front office rarely behaves that way. We'd rather restructure the guy and hang onto him until long after he's proven useful and then get rid of them with nothing in return other than dead money cap hits.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

I think that's how the issue should be handled, but our front office rarely behaves that way. We'd rather restructure the guy and hang onto him until long after he's proven useful and then get rid of them with nothing in return other than dead money cap hits.

It really doesn't make much sense to restructure him, so hopefully they tell Ware it's either a pay cut, a trade or hasta la vista, thank you for your services and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

^^^Deadpulse
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Sean Lee hasn't been cleared to play either. Not that I'm all that surprised by it, but I guess it's news worthy on the off season injury/recovery front.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
I think Ware has begun the decline. If he's unwilling to take a pay cut - not a restructure, but a straight pay cut - then I'd look to trade or cut him.

Sure he on the decline bit it looks like he gonna stay. Let's
Hope the surgery helps, Maybe limit his snaps, put
Him in for sure passing plays and let him rush the QB, quit dropping him in coverage.

As for Miles, I wish him the best, if not for the hammies, he could have been a
Top 15 WR. I tnink he can help a team if healthy ( I know, big IF)

I wouldn't be comfortable with paying a now chronically injured player who is on the wrong side of 30 with possibly declining play top dollar contract money. I'm even less inclined to do that AND limit his snaps. All that means is that we're paying him a ton of money to spend more time on the sideline than we did in years past when he made less money and was more productive. That doesn't even make sense. I'm sorry, but I can't hang my hat on hope. I hang my hat on evidence and proof, and those point to him beginning to deteriorate. As I've said many times, I'd rather part ways with a player a year early rather than a year late.

X2
retrolock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a bit harsh for a once great player like Demarcus Ware but I guess even they must grow old. Cowboys' HOF Larry Allen finished his career with those damn niners.
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, glad that it is official Austin will not be here anymore. He has been out too much with injuries and am more than comfortable with Terence Williams and Cole Beasley taking reps over him. He was barely effective even when healthy this year. The saved cap space is appreciated.

As for Ware, I don't doubt that he can still dominate on the field when healthy, but I do question if he can in fact stay healthy. He is getting older and has been plagued with all kinds of injuries the last 2 years. He is not getting any younger and players don't typically get better as they age. Without knowing exactly how our cap situation would be with cutting/trading him vs. keeping him, I do not know if we currently have the depth at DE to just let him go, but we absolutely have to draft edge rusher(s) with his decline and Spencer being gone in all likelyhood.
MLB: New York Yankees
College Basketball: NC State Wolfpack
Soccer: FC Bayern Munich
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrolock wrote:
Seems a bit harsh for a once great player like Demarcus Ware but I guess even they must grow old. Cowboys' HOF Larry Allen finished his career with those damn niners.

It's the worst part of the business aspect of any sport. But unfortunately, Father Time waits for no one.

Northland wrote:
textaz03

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrolock wrote:
Emmitt as a Cardinal? Made me sick!

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
retrolock wrote:

Why? He was a shell of his former self, no longer a productive player, and posed very little value to the team. Keeping him around didn't make sense.

Northland wrote:
textaz03

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
retrolock wrote:

Why? He was a shell of his former self, no longer a productive player, and posed very little value to the team. Keeping him around didn't make sense.
I'm not saying it was the a dumb move. We had to move on, it was time. Just wish he would have realized what everyone else already knew and hung up the cleats. He should have retired then.

plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
retrolock wrote:

I'm not saying it was the a dumb move. We had to move on, it was time. Just wish he would have realized what everyone else already knew and hung up the cleats. He should have retired then.

Again, why? With the shelf life of an athlete being as short as it is, as long as a team is willing to employ a guy, I think he should continue playing until he's no longer able to. Emmitt had a few suitors after we released him. The Cardinals weren't the only team in the mix for his services, so other teams obviously felt that he had something left to contribute. Just because a guy is no longer in his prime and not well suited for our team doesn't mean he won't compliment another team well.

Consider this: how would you feel if someone unrelated to your company tried to get you to retire from your job because they didn't think you could do your job anymore? Would you listen to them and abide by their opinion even though they aren't involved with your day-to-day professional activities (regardless of how public they may be)? Probably not.

Northland wrote:
textaz03

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
retrolock wrote:

Again, why? With the shelf life of an athlete being as short as it is, as long as a team is willing to employ a guy, I think he should continue playing until he's no longer able to. Emmitt had a few suitors after we released him. The Cardinals weren't the only team in the mix for his services, so other teams obviously felt that he had something left to contribute. Just because a guy is no longer in his prime and not well suited for our team doesn't mean he won't compliment another team well.

Consider this: how would you feel if someone unrelated to your company tried to get you to retire from your job because they didn't think you could do your job anymore? Would you listen to them and abide by their opinion even though they aren't involved with your day-to-day professional activities (regardless of how public they may be)? Probably not.
your not going to bait me into discussing semantics of my opinion. It's just that, my opinion. I didn't like seeing him in a Cardinals uni. Made me sick. And you don't need to preach to me about the business side of football, I understand it all completely. I, like most fans of the game, HATE that part of the NFL, the cutthroat side.

plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
retrolock wrote:

your not going to bait me into discussing semantics of my opinion. It's just that, my opinion. I didn't like seeing him in a Cardinals uni. Made me sick. And you don't need to preach to me about the business side of football, I understand it all completely. I, like most fans of the game, HATE that part of the NFL, the cutthroat side.

Right, so you're basically admitting that once you're done with a player, you see little reason for him to continue trying to earn an income in the industry he loves. And, you don't consider that to be a problem, even when I asked how you would feel if someone wanted to do that to you. Sorry amigo, but that opinion doesn't make any sense to me. We should all appreciate a player's contribution to the team while he's here and never be upset when he changes teams. It's not like people give you grief for changing jobs, so there's no reason to do that to NFL players. They have careers, too.

Northland wrote:
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Emmitt, I just watched Emmitt Smith: Running With History on the NFL netwrok. I thought it was awesome. He ran for like 8,000 yards in high school! That's sick!

The guy is clearly my favorite Cowboy of all time and man do I miss watching him run. He was a total class act on and off the field.

And of course, I believe he was the greatest RB of all time. He was the perfect blend of balance, vision, toughness, strength, elusiveness and of course heart. Ironically, break away speed was NOT one of his attributes. His speed was going from 0 to 60 in a blink. He could hit the hole faster than the defense could react. But that was it. That initial burst. Then he was relagated to whatever open field speed he had.

And I agree with both Textaz and Plan. It did make me sick to see him in a cards uniform BUT he still had tred on his tires and wanted to play. If someone is offereing me big cash to come and play for them, I'd be nuts to say no.

Anyway, check it out, good program.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: