Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Elbow Surgery for Ware, Austin a June 1st
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Elbow Surgery for Ware, Austin a June 1st Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/11/demarcus-ware-to-have-surgery-on-right-elbow/

Quote:
That changed this week. Ware said Tuesday that he will have surgery to correct an exposed nerve in his right elbow that has bothered him for most of the last two seasons. Ware rested it last offseason while having surgery on his shoulder, but decided on a different course of action this time around.

ďItís been killing me,Ē Ware said, via Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com. ďItís hurt really bad and thatís why I would wear an elbow pad to stop from getting it hit but that didnít do much. It would get irritated even when it was barely touched.Ē

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/02/11/miles-austins-june-1-cut-looms-for-cowboys/

But the Cowboys have privately determined which way they are leaning regarding the former Pro Bowler: Make him a post-June 1 cut, thus escaping from the bulk of their $8.2 million commitment to him.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Tony7188

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will all be happy to see Austin as a June 1st cut. However, the talks with Ware will be interesting to see if he will truly take a pay cut or not.

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
retrolock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ware definitely still has a burst of speed (sometimes) and hopefully this surgery can help him. He just can't swim around a tackle anymore. I re-watched the DAL-OAK game and damn Mcgloin wasn't touched by our Dline until Selvie managed to knock him down. Take a pay cut man and show 'em you still have it.

Miles Austin... What a waste... That 2009 season was not a fluke for Austin, if his hammies didn't flare up he would have been a perennial probowler. Will he sue the Cowboys' trainers because they ruined his hammies? lol
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ware has begun the decline. If he's unwilling to take a pay cut - not a restructure, but a straight pay cut - then I'd look to trade or cut him.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
retrolock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
I think Ware has begun the decline. If he's unwilling to take a pay cut - not a restructure, but a straight pay cut - then I'd look to trade or cut him.

Isn't he too young relatively to have this steep of decline? I mean other pass rushers have been productive beyond Ware's age of 31?
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:

Sure he on the decline bit it looks like he gonna stay. Let's
Hope the surgery helps, Maybe limit his snaps, put
Him in for sure passing plays and let him rush the QB, quit dropping him in coverage.

As for Miles, I wish him the best, if not for the hammies, he could have been a
Top 15 WR. I tnink he can help a team if healthy ( I know, big IF)
Dallasfan1313

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article on ESPN has some interesting quotes from Ware

Quote:
"It's been killing me," Ware said. "It's hurt really bad and that's why I would wear an elbow pad to stop from getting it hit but that didn't do much. It would get irritated even when it was barely touched."

Ware said the surgery will help protect a nerve that was exposed when he would bend his arm, "so when I would get hit, it would lose its power," he said.

So essentially he was playing with one arm because each time he would make contact with a linemen his arm would go dead. I'm amazed he lasted the season with this.

R.I.P. B2TB and S.A.

ianlewis16 wrote:
you're my favourite poster

Matts4313 wrote:
DF1313 + Anger = Win for the forum.
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't anything actually confirming that Austin will be cut. Its just a rumor.

^ made by CalhounLambeau
the lone star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Ware will take a pay-cut unless his value has truly taken a hit. This year was different due to the injuries he had, the change in the scheme, and how thin we were on the DL. Not to mention how bad the defense was behind him.

He'll be back to elite form next year.

Miles Austin, thanks for all that you did, but not enough lately and not nearly worth it. I'd take him back for a min deal though.

I'd look at Santonio Holmes though. I like what he could bring to our team.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ware was a beast during the 2013 camp, Even Tyron Smith had his hands full guarding against his rush. But that effort probably strained his body and this elbow just flared up again. I really thought the guy was healthy and ready to be a top ten player in the NFL again.

He'll restructure, and he'll get a chance for atonement. I know he's on a decline but a healthy Ware is good for 10-13 sacks maybe even more. And I agree the coaches should limit his snaps.
the lone star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrolock wrote:
Ware was a beast during the 2013 camp, Even Tyron Smith had his hands full guarding against his rush. But that effort probably strained his body and this elbow just flared up again. I really thought the guy was healthy and ready to be a top ten player in the NFL again.

He'll restructure, and he'll get a chance for atonement. I know he's on a decline but a healthy Ware is good for 10-13 sacks maybe even more. And I agree the coaches should limit his snaps.

He's always been a top 10 defensive player in my mind. This past year was an anomaly though.

Limiting his snaps might work, especially since Wilbur and Selvie have come on and we'll have Crawford next year, but it also depends on what all happens in the draft, at camp, and during the preseason.

I want to keep Spencer, and if we do, then we can definitely limit Ware's snaps. We can actually rotate both players in and out more effectively.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:

Agree, although I think its cutting his salaries in about half to stay with us or cutting him. I don't think anyone will trade for him with those base salaries.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
retrolock wrote:

He's always been a top 10 defensive player in my mind. This past year was an anomaly though.

Limiting his snaps might work, especially since Wilbur and Selvie have come on and we'll have Crawford next year, but it also depends on what all happens in the draft, at camp, and during the preseason.

I want to keep Spencer, and if we do, then we can definitely limit Ware's snaps. We can actually rotate both players in and out more effectively.

How? We have Dez and Smith's big new contracts coming up next offseason. Sign him for one year? I'll pass, and would rather draft/develop a replacement that watch him wuss out again and take the money.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrolock wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

Isn't he too young relatively to have this steep of decline? I mean other pass rushers have been productive beyond Ware's age of 31?

Injuries are just as much a factor of proving a player's decline as the dropoff in production. In this case, Ware has been injured for the last 2 years, and has been hurt for 3. That speaks volumes.

Northland wrote:
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

Sure he on the decline bit it looks like he gonna stay. Let's
Hope the surgery helps, Maybe limit his snaps, put
Him in for sure passing plays and let him rush the QB, quit dropping him in coverage.

As for Miles, I wish him the best, if not for the hammies, he could have been a
Top 15 WR. I tnink he can help a team if healthy ( I know, big IF)

I wouldn't be comfortable with paying a now chronically injured player who is on the wrong side of 30 with possibly declining play top dollar contract money. I'm even less inclined to do that AND limit his snaps. All that means is that we're paying him a ton of money to spend more time on the sideline than we did in years past when he made less money and was more productive. That doesn't even make sense. I'm sorry, but I can't hang my hat on hope. I hang my hat on evidence and proof, and those point to him beginning to deteriorate. As I've said many times, I'd rather part ways with a player a year early rather than a year late.

Northland wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: