Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns to replace Banner and Lombardi, Farmer to GM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Browns fans agree that the turnover needs to stop.

But honestly ask yourself: If the turnover stopped and Joe Banner was the man that Haslam hitched his franchise too, would you really have confidence that its a good move?
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
All Browns fans agree that the turnover needs to stop.

But honestly ask yourself: If the turnover stopped and Joe Banner was the man that Haslam hitched his franchise too, would you really have confidence that its a good move?

Also Lombardi

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
iPwn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Haslem was upset that Banner wasn't interested in Schiano. If this is the case, I take back what I said with not inherently having an issue with the decision to move on.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
kmvoss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyLF wrote:
As a Browns fan... This is like the best Christmas morning ever as a kid
You know it's bad when "...the best Christmas morning ever" is the annual firing and cleaning house. Sounds more like groundhog day to me.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Apparently Haslem was upset that Banner wasn't interested in Schiano. If this is the case, I take back what I said with not inherently having an issue with the decision to move on.

I assume you're getting this from the Peter King piece (which i have my own issues with, but King loves to get his jabs in at Cleveland when he can)

It appears to me not to be an issue of Haslam being upset with Banner for not going after Schiano but instead an issue of Banner's approach to the situation.

Haslam got the calls from Urban Meyer and Belichick about Schiano and wanted to interview him, and Banner's approach was to basically act sullen and blow off the interview. Its a piece of the puzzle, the atmosphere that Banner and Lombardi established where both of them acted above and around Haslam and after selling him on a lie about McDaniels they scuttled around and screwed up too much so Haslam had to get involved.

Additionally there are rumors about how Lombardi was basically casting blame on Banner for the whole disorganized structure and was, potentially, doing his own work with the media about issues like Schwartz, McDaniels, etc.

Basically, it was a mess.
DawgX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

Banner himself ruined the Whisenhunt interview because when Whisenhunt asked why he wasn't hired last offseason, Banner told him that he didn't think the staff Whisenhunt was putting together was "a championship coaching staff." He acts like a d!ck to a lot of people, which is why a lot of people around the NFL don't like Banner and don't want to work with him.

It's kind of funny that seemingly the only people who are criticizing the Browns are people who aren't very knowledgeable about the Browns. Yes, constant turnover isn't a good thing but why would Haslam stick with Banner & Lombardi if he didn't think they were good at their jobs? He might as well get rid of them now instead of waiting another year or longer. I think some owners, GMs or whoever don't fire people fast enough because many of them have big egos and firing them would basically be them admitting that they were wrong for hiring them in the first place. I'm glad that Haslam is essentially willing to admit his mistakes.

Again, it's not like they're bringing in a completely new person to be the GM. Farmer has been Cleveland's assistant GM and has represented them at events like the Senior Bowl, while Lombardi was absent from those events.

We don't know if Farmer will be a good GM, but I'll gladly take the chance of finding out. I can't imagine him being much worse than Banner & Lombardi. Farmer is supposedly highly thought of around the league and is considered one of the brightest up-and-comers. Bill Kuharich was hired to be the assistant GM, and he worked with Farmer in Kansas City and he's also considered to be one of the best talent evaluators in the league.

He just became the official GM yesterday and he's already working on a contract extension for Joe Haden. So that's a good way to start off if you want to make Browns fans happy. Smile
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
iPwn wrote:

I assume you're getting this from the Peter King piece (which i have my own issues with, but King loves to get his jabs in at Cleveland when he can)

It appears to me not to be an issue of Haslam being upset with Banner for not going after Schiano but instead an issue of Banner's approach to the situation.

Haslam got the calls from Urban Meyer and Belichick about Schiano and wanted to interview him, and Banner's approach was to basically act sullen and blow off the interview. Its a piece of the puzzle, the atmosphere that Banner and Lombardi established where both of them acted above and around Haslam and after selling him on a lie about McDaniels they scuttled around and screwed up too much so Haslam had to get involved.

Additionally there are rumors about how Lombardi was basically casting blame on Banner for the whole disorganized structure and was, potentially, doing his own work with the media about issues like Schwartz, McDaniels, etc.

Basically, it was a mess.

Also, PK is friends with/has a soft spot for Schiano. I mean, the man literally singled out Josh Freeman in his MMQB every week pointing out how he was making $2M this season to sit on the bench for the Vikings.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been posted, but....

Quote:
In Jimmy Haslam's 17 months as owner, the organization has employed a whopping 56 coaches.

Thats just comical....unless youre a Browns fan, who I legit feel sorry for.

Im really curious to see what happens if the Browns dont show improvement next year. If there is another mass exodus, I might just buy into the fact that Haslam is worse than Lerner was, which I really didnt think was possible.

If they get a QB, though, I think the Browns will be a possible wildcard team, but that is a mighty MIGHTY big if.
fluhartz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote

Quote:
In Jimmy Haslam's 17 months as owner, the organization has employed a whopping 56 coaches.

[/quote]

holy fluctuating

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys who fired most of those 56 coaches just got fired.

So lets wait and see what happens in 2014. I think you guys are seriously underestimating how dysfunctional the Banner-Lombardi front office situation was. While Haslam hasn't earned any benefit of the doubt, Banner/Lombardi were cancers.
Kal-El

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Haslam: Fire ALL the things!!
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted, but....

Quote:

Thats just comical....unless youre a Browns fan, who I legit feel sorry for.

Im really curious to see what happens if the Browns dont show improvement next year. If there is another mass exodus, I might just buy into the fact that Haslam is worse than Lerner was, which I really didnt think was possible.

If they get a QB, though, I think the Browns will be a possible wildcard team, but that is a mighty MIGHTY big if.

There is no way he cleans house again after this season.

I know people will say that anything can happen with the Browns, but this just won't.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
game3525

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Now for an LBC opinion actually ON topic:

This to me feels like Haslam is ripping off the Band-aid. Could the timing of it have been better? Sure. Could it have been a hell of a lot worse? In the words of the Kool-Aid Man, "Oh yeah!"

Case in point as to why you don't stick with a losing formula - particularly one that is likely very much aware that they're in "make or break" mode - for the sake of continuity: AJ Smith. The Browns have, if memory serves, a pretty good-sized chunk of cap-room this offseason. If Haslam were to have ridden out the Banner/Lombardi duo for this offseason (on the grounds of continuity or "because any replacement didn't have direct input on the HC selection"), said duo could have had the opportunity - in panic mode - to make moves that could have financially (cap-wise) hamstrung the Browns for the next 2-3 years. My Chargers are currently dealing with table-scraps of cap-space because of the long-term financial implications of AJ's panic spending (still absorbing cap-hits from the signings or cuts of the failed signings of Jeromey Clary, Jared Gaither, Robert Meachem, and to a lesser extent Eddie Royal).

Yup, the Chargers of the last couple of years are the prefect example of what happens when you wait too long to clean house. Haslem shouldn't get a free pass since he hired these clowns in the first place, but at least he recognized that the ship was sinking and quickly abandon ship....can't say the same for Mr. Spanos. Laughing
T-RichIsTheMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

why the hell would we go after schiano? that dude is god awful. and is a major headcase.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think Lombardi and Banner ever get a shot again in Front Offices again? I'd personally hope they never do.

I mean to be THAT bad at your job, how in the world did they ever get into those positions in the first place?

Not your typical Vikings anymore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: