Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns to replace Banner and Lombardi, Farmer to GM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:
This is a really good article based on insider info that explains what went down today: http://dawgpoundnation.com/2014/02/11/firing-mike-lombardi-and-joe-banner-what-really-happened/

I know it's tough to believe articles based purely on an anonymous source but these guys got leaked info on Chud getting fired, Lombardi getting canned last week and the Shanahan hire so seems like they have a reputable insider in the Browns FO.

Quote:
When McDaniels turned the job down, it was the last black eye that Jimmy Haslam was prepared to take due to his CEO and GM.

Josh McDaniels is the dagger Laughing McDaniels family comes through for Ohio football again. Laughing Though it matches up w/ report that Haslam was extremely impressed by McDaniels and why they called him a week or so after he turned them down.
coors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i'm not the first to ask this in this thread.. but what the hell is going on in Cleveland?

Edit**

I haven't read through this thread, but I just saw on Deadspin that there is a rumor that "Peyton Manning—yes, the quarterback Peyton Manning—will reportedly have the CEO position in Cleveland's front office reserved for him until he retires."

What??? Is there any teeth to that story?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This franchise has no idea what direction it wants to go in.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-RichIsTheMan wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Brownie- Yeah I figured someone would actually take him to point that out....still if your going to try and insult my team come on...do a google search or something.

is that why da bears didn't make the playoffs? is da bears some sort of laugher? no offense Wink

Obvious troll post is obvious.

And (hopefully) obvious lack of mod approval is obvious as well. Meaning: Cut it out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
T-RichIsTheMan wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Brownie- Yeah I figured someone would actually take him to point that out....still if your going to try and insult my team come on...do a google search or something.

is that why da bears didn't make the playoffs? is da bears some sort of laugher? no offense Wink

And (hopefully) obvious lack of mod approval is obvious as well. Meaning: Cut it out.

These Chargers sigs/avatars are confusing. I thought you were JH21 for a good minute.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
T-RichIsTheMan wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

These Chargers sigs/avatars are confusing. I thought you were JH21 for a good minute.

LBC doesn't have my sig (or at least not always), step your game up.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for an LBC opinion actually ON topic:

This to me feels like Haslam is ripping off the Band-aid. Could the timing of it have been better? Sure. Could it have been a hell of a lot worse? In the words of the Kool-Aid Man, "Oh yeah!"

Case in point as to why you don't stick with a losing formula - particularly one that is likely very much aware that they're in "make or break" mode - for the sake of continuity: AJ Smith. The Browns have, if memory serves, a pretty good-sized chunk of cap-room this offseason. If Haslam were to have ridden out the Banner/Lombardi duo for this offseason (on the grounds of continuity or "because any replacement didn't have direct input on the HC selection"), said duo could have had the opportunity - in panic mode - to make moves that could have financially (cap-wise) hamstrung the Browns for the next 2-3 years. My Chargers are currently dealing with table-scraps of cap-space because of the long-term financial implications of AJ's panic spending (still absorbing cap-hits from the signings or cuts of the failed signings of Jeromey Clary, Jared Gaither, Robert Meachem, and to a lesser extent Eddie Royal).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
iPwn wrote:

The issue I have with this is that they didn't clean house earlier. Because Lombardi and Banner were on, the Browns probably got their fourth or fifth coaching choice, as most of the other guys turned them down because they didn't want to be a part of that circus and have next to no job security.

I dont think he realized how dysfunctional the whole situation was until the coaching search
That's something I would view as a problem. After Chud was fired, within two hours you had the leaders of the team speaking out about how they were fed up with things. Pretty much everyone on here knew this was an issue right away. The media was all over this immediately.

I certainly understand that you don't want to make a snap judgement and want to really think things through before you fire a front office, but if it took the search for a new coach to show off how big of a deal this was, then he's got quite a bit more learning to do and needs to get a better handle on the pulse of the team.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Socraticsilence

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
Wait....what did these guys do that was so horrible again?

Not saying they did a great job, but the rejoicing seems a bit, uh, overdone.

1. fail to get chip kelly
2. hire mike lombardi, who was hated in cleveland to begin with
3. promote mike lombardi to GM position
4. hide lombardi from the press
5. trade away most of the 2013 draft, and give head coach little to work with to improve upon 2013.
6. made underwhelming free agent acquisitions (kruger, davone bess)
7. royally pissed off the leadership of the team when they fired head coach chudzinski after 1 year

So wait in Cleveland turning Trent Richardson into first round pick (plus more) isn't looked at as awesome but instead as being a dumb move?
Ether

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socraticsilence wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
Wait....what did these guys do that was so horrible again?

Not saying they did a great job, but the rejoicing seems a bit, uh, overdone.

1. fail to get chip kelly
2. hire mike lombardi, who was hated in cleveland to begin with
3. promote mike lombardi to GM position
4. hide lombardi from the press
5. trade away most of the 2013 draft, and give head coach little to work with to improve upon 2013.
6. made underwhelming free agent acquisitions (kruger, davone bess)
7. royally pissed off the leadership of the team when they fired head coach chudzinski after 1 year

So wait in Cleveland turning Trent Richardson into first round pick (plus more) isn't looked at as awesome but instead as being a dumb move?

It was brilliant but it didn't have anything to do with the 2013 draft of which they acquired very little talent for Chud to work with.
Socraticsilence

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So honestly- does this new front office outlast Haslam? Or does he have one more housecleaning in him before being forced to sell the team as the cops close in?
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
That's something I would view as a problem.

I dont think anyone would disagree. But a bigger problem would have been to let the wound fester any longer. He should have never hired them to begin with, most Browns fans said that at the time he did it.

But I'd rather he realize now that he needed to fire them then at the end of next season. Or pull a Matt Millen and give him 8 years
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Now for an LBC opinion actually ON topic:

This to me feels like Haslam is ripping off the Band-aid. Could the timing of it have been better? Sure. Could it have been a hell of a lot worse? In the words of the Kool-Aid Man, "Oh yeah!"

Case in point as to why you don't stick with a losing formula - particularly one that is likely very much aware that they're in "make or break" mode - for the sake of continuity: AJ Smith. The Browns have, if memory serves, a pretty good-sized chunk of cap-room this offseason. If Haslam were to have ridden out the Banner/Lombardi duo for this offseason (on the grounds of continuity or "because any replacement didn't have direct input on the HC selection"), said duo could have had the opportunity - in panic mode - to make moves that could have financially (cap-wise) hamstrung the Browns for the next 2-3 years. My Chargers are currently dealing with table-scraps of cap-space because of the long-term financial implications of AJ's panic spending (still absorbing cap-hits from the signings or cuts of the failed signings of Jeromey Clary, Jared Gaither, Robert Meachem, and to a lesser extent Eddie Royal).

Yep

I honestly don't care when this happened.

To be fair, they cleaned these guys out before the combine, FA and the draft so that is good at least.

No matter when it happened, they got rid of guys who didn't belong.

I'd rather have Haslem admit a mistake and correct it instead of acting all proud and sticking with the wrong guys.

Are the new guys going to work out? Who the hell knows.

I will tell you that almost all of Browns nation were skeptical at best about Banner and that we all knew Lombardi was crap.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
T-RichIsTheMan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
T-RichIsTheMan wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

sorry bro. won't happen again. just tryin to make a point. guess it failed LOL
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
This franchise has no idea what direction it wants to go in.

That is mainly because the organization keeps changing from the top to bottom every other season (if not every season).

Nacho Simulation Football League

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: