Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Potential Free Agent Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we overpay for a free safety I am going to freak. Honestly if we are going to cough up the bucks, solidify our cornerback position with Verner or Davis.

then maybe round 4 we can draft a safety. A lot of solid safeties are drafted in the later rounds. I dont see overpaying for one in a Rex Ryan defense.
Bianconero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDawg10 wrote:
If we overpay for a free safety I am going to freak. Honestly if we are going to cough up the bucks, solidify our cornerback position with Verner or Davis.

then maybe round 4 we can draft a safety. A lot of solid safeties are drafted in the later rounds. I dont see overpaying for one in a Rex Ryan defense.
I agree.

In the other thread about Revis vs Byrd people were talking about Byrd's importance vs Revis'.

The CB position is so important in this defense; safety is merely a luxury.
jetfan8178

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you continue to say Safety is less important than CB? Without the safeties your CB's are useless. Shut down 1 guy and what happens, you get burnt all over the middle of the field. Sherman's success has been the fact that they are forced to throw to him because the safeties keep the middle of the field covered up, that and the pass rush.

The safeties on some of the best secondaries in the league are typically paid more than any of the CB's on the team.

Seattle was #1
New orleans #2
Houston #3
Buffalo #4
Cinn #5

Seattle and NO both pay over 10mill last season for safeties. Nearly 4 times what they pay their CB's. Houston as an exception has a ludicrous pass rush but, also was losing big in most of their games last season.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Safety play is very important. All of the great defenses I can remember had good safeties. Safeties are harder for QB's hide from. They can be in the box, play over top WR's, cover TE's, blitz, and more. You can move them around every where. To hide from a corner, you can just go to the other side or through the middle.

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU PANTHERS (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
Bianconero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's completely ignore the value (or lack there of) that our HC has put on the safety position the past 5 years.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had Reed in his prime in Baltimore. I think he knows the value of a great safety.
skrILL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero wrote:
Let's completely ignore the value (or lack there of) that our HC has put on the safety position the past 5 years.

And where was he supposed to just pluck an elite safety from?

N E W Y O R K J E T S
RDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not saying safety has no relevance. But you guys really need to ask yourselves, is it worth paying 9 million dollars for a safety? If I am Idzik... no. Yeah these guys are grade A, but their value in a Rex Ryan defense isnt 9 million.

I think Ward and Byrd would be great in this defense but for 9 million, no way. Remember, in Free agency its not like you have the ability to work a nice deal and meet half way, there is competition. That competition will drive the price and you always overpay in free agency.

If I am Idzik, the depth at Cornerback is where you may find a better bargain. I don't necessarily think Verner and Davis are going to come cheap either but they will not be 9 million.

Good safeties are important but when you have a front 7 as good as the jets, you do not invest that much money in a safety, you just dont. We have our needs on offense and the offense is what needs to be fixed.

I know we are not as capstrapped as last year but people need to realize that we are not going to overpay. Idzik would rather draft than whip out his wallet. Hes going to continue to preach his quantity over quality, and competition philosophy.

Remember, this team is also young, we have some quality depth at some positions. That depth will continue to get better.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDawg10 wrote:
Im not saying safety has no relevance. But you guys really need to ask yourselves, is it worth paying 9 million dollars for a safety? If I am Idzik... no. Yeah these guys are grade A, but their value in a Rex Ryan defense isnt 9 million.

I think Ward and Byrd would be great in this defense but for 9 million, no way. Remember, in Free agency its not like you have the ability to work a nice deal and meet half way, there is competition. That competition will drive the price and you always overpay in free agency.

If I am Idzik, the depth at Cornerback is where you may find a better bargain. I don't necessarily think Verner and Davis are going to come cheap either but they will not be 9 million.

Good safeties are important but when you have a front 7 as good as the jets, you do not invest that much money in a safety, you just dont. We have our needs on offense and the offense is what needs to be fixed.

I know we are not as capstrapped as last year but people need to realize that we are not going to overpay. Idzik would rather draft than whip out his wallet. Hes going to continue to preach his quantity over quality, and competition philosophy.

Remember, this team is also young, we have some quality depth at some positions. That depth will continue to get better.
While I agree, you get a game changer in Byrd. There are very few safeties/corners in this league that are game changers and while a guy like Verner is a very good, young corner, he is not a game changer.

Props to JMG on the sig
KBS756

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey is on the Market, wouldn't mind bringing him if we could, especially if the Patriots are considering a run at him
skrILL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
Bailey is on the Market, wouldn't mind bringing him if we could, especially if the Patriots are considering a run at him

He's washed up.

N E W Y O R K J E T S
BlaZeN37

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Vontae Davis will most definitely get $9M a year, Verner too probably.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero wrote:

How many times has he tried si nce becoming the HC to fill that spot???

2 Landrys and a Reed in the last 2 years alone...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetfan8178 wrote:
Bianconero wrote:

How many times has he tried si nce becoming the HC to fill that spot???

2 Landrys and a Reed in the last 2 years alone...
Exactly.

Its a rotating door and aside from MAYBE Laron, we;re not trying very hard to fill the spot.

Also FWIW we didn't want to give Laron a huge deal, injury history taken into consideration or not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There hasn't been a FS the last few Offseasons that was worthy of paying, that's why a great one hasn't been brought in. Never mind that we were in cap hell the last few seasons, so we wouldn't have been able to afford one anyway. Now we have money to spend and there's a top notch young talent at a position we need.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: