Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So giants fans what is your hope for this offseason?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We somehow send every other teams roster to the CFL and they must play highschool recruits instead.

Not a Knicks fan
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen4ev wrote:
We somehow send every other teams roster to the CFL and they must play highschool recruits instead.

you know what happened the last time the giants won the super bowl?? there was no offseason. The trick is to have tony romo take the entire nfl to mexico for vacation... besides eli

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the trick is Seattle. A top notch scouting department that can find starting caliber talent in the mid and late rounds.. I think over half their roster was 3rd round or later. Sherman, maxwell, red Bryant, smith, Wilson.. Just to name a few. When was the last time the Giants had a 3rd-7th prospect do anything? 1962?
minutemancl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
No the trick is Seattle. A top notch scouting department that can find starting caliber talent in the mid and late rounds.. I think over half their roster was 3rd round or later. Sherman, maxwell, red Bryant, smith, Wilson.. Just to name a few. When was the last time the Giants had a 3rd-7th prospect do anything? 1962?

Ahmad Bradshaw was our starting runningback for 3 years, and a good one at that. If it weren't for his ankles imploding he still would be our RB.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:

the list is very long actually... atleast when we won our two superbowls. but you're right... the first two rounds brings pro bowlers (see the chiefs in 2012, browns in 2013) and the mid to late rounds bring in quality starters.

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
dkebones

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:

Ahmad Bradshaw was our starting runningback for 3 years, and a good one at that. If it weren't for his ankles imploding he still would be our RB.

But for every AB there are 5 Andre/Stoney Woodson's, Adam Koets and Greg Jones'....

We've had this argument before and its largely personal opinion (I could turn it into numbers, but we all know we can make stats say anything we want Razz ). Fact of the matter is, I don't trust the FO as far as I can throw them to make an impactful pick from Round 4 on...

Case-in-point... for all the problems that the line had this year, has a single one of you thought "hey, I wonder if they'll work Eric Herman into competition for an interior position..."

yeah.... didn't think so Laughing
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:

But for every AB there are 5 Andre/Stoney Woodson's, Adam Koets and Greg Jones'....

We've had this argument before and its largely personal opinion (I could turn it into numbers, but we all know we can make stats say anything we want Razz ). Fact of the matter is, I don't trust the FO as far as I can throw them to make an impactful pick from Round 4 on...

Case-in-point... for all the problems that the line had this year, has a single one of you thought "hey, I wonder if they'll work Eric Herman into competition for an interior position..."

yeah.... didn't think so Laughing

This is the problem.
Our scouting sucks. I'm not saying we should be like Seattle because I'm pretty sure they sacrificed a few WA missing person's to the draft gods (I'm really going to burn for that one)... But outside of round 1 and 2 we suck. I get not everyone can make it. Sometimes its the schemes, sometimes its the competition. Sometimes they get in car wrecks and shatter their knees. But come on. Within 2 years 94%* of our draft picks are out of the league. We can't win like that.

*Hyperbole
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Seattle has done differently is they find guys that fit holes. They see what the players do well and draft them if they add something to the team. Not drafting by talent/position but by skillset and what they want him to do.

Sure if we wanted to slide Cruz to be #1 use Jernigan in the slot and Randle as #2 it looks good on paper but we know that (likely) wouldn't work. I mean, look at Sherman. They saw skills that others didn't. Playing him at CB instead of what he was going into the draft as (WR). I'd be real curious to see the scouting report on Chancellor. Maybe all it said was "is huge and hits hard" so the stuck him in the middle of their D. Razz Anyway. I made a statement that Seattle's 2nd string DBs would likely all start on our team. That may not have included Prince but it likely wasn't far off.

I'm ranting now. I'll stop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
What Seattle has done differently is they find guys that fit holes. They see what the players do well and draft them if they add something to the team. Not drafting by talent/position but by skillset and what they want him to do.

Sure if we wanted to slide Cruz to be #1 use Jernigan in the slot and Randle as #2 it looks good on paper but we know that (likely) wouldn't work. I mean, look at Sherman. They saw skills that others didn't. Playing him at CB instead of what he was going into the draft as (WR). I'd be real curious to see the scouting report on Chancellor. Maybe all it said was "is huge and hits hard" so the stuck him in the middle of their D. Razz Anyway. I made a statement that Seattle's 2nd string DBs would likely all start on our team. That may not have included Prince but it likely wasn't far off.

I'm ranting now. I'll stop.

They don't make players fit schemes, either. They work around skills.
They don't make a RB good in space run between the tackles because that is silly.

We have talent but we don't use it right.
Prince could be used better in tight press aggressive coverage
Jernigan could be better in the slot (or really just on the field, that reverse....)

How is it that our tackle can be cut from the team from playing so bad and go to another team and become a starter and play well (McCants).

This draft is big, IMO.
We can't swing and miss.
We can't take a player in the 4th round that we likely could have gotten as an UDFA (Robinson... nothing personal to the JPP of TE's)
With over 100 underclassmen the talent in the next few drafts will suck. We can't rebound in the next draft for what we missed in this one.

This draft is loaded with D talent. I think we should focus on the OL in FA and maybe sign someone like Ben Tate (probably out of our price range) as a RB, and then load up on D.
Gmen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost, I think we need to go out and spend some money in free agency. We brought back Coughlin, who isn't a spring chicken anymore, and in order for him to have any success to finish out his career the team needs to be replenished of talent. The Giants need to go out and write some checks to improve both trenches. We need a new top flight pass rusher, meaning Greg Hardy or Michael Johnson. We need a quality starter along the offensive line, meaning Alex Mack, Branden Albert, or Jon Asomoah.

In order to write a few big checks, we need to dump the under achievers. Too many overpaid players on this roster. Baas, Snee, Kiwanuka, Jenkins, Weatherford all need to take significant pay cuts, or be cut. Eli and Rolle, both near the end of their contract, need to renegotiate to clear up some cap room.

Resign Linval Joseph and Jon Beason. Giants run defense was one of the few highlights of last season, and those two are the biggest reasons. I don't want another Barry Cofield situation with Joseph.

Out of the draft we should address three areas.
1. Cornerback. Webster, Ross, TT are free agents, and none should be brought back. We need a quality young CB, meaning round 1 or 2.
2. Speed at receiver. Manningham's speed has been missed. We need someone to stretch the field.
3. A mauler at guard. We need to improve the running game, and that is the best way to do it.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions cut Louis Delmas. That's intriguing...

We also need a DT/DE or two.
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are making Seattle the standard because they had a good draft or two? You realize how short-sighted that is right... Going off that theory, we would have been the standard a few years ago. Do you think JR has changed his strategy? Do you think he and his team all of a sudden suck at evaluating?

The fact of the matter is there is SO much that goes into a player making it you cannot simply say, "the front office sucks". What about the coaching? Was Jerrel Jernigan a terrible draft pick or was he not coached properly? Or were injuries an issue? The most likely scenario is its a little bit of everything. Change the coaching and maybe he's a pro bowler. Or maybe he's out of the league altogether.

The margin from Pro Bowler to unemployed is very small in the grand scheme of things. Same with a HoF coach and a career coordinator.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
Lions cut Louis Delmas. That's intriguing...

We also need a DT/DE or two.

i hope they give damonte moore at try at DE if tuck isnt resigned but knowing our coaching they would give kiwi the job
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cullen Jenkins played well last season. I wouldn't call him an underachiever. He may not show up on stats, but he consistently took double teams. Thats value not seen in the stat sheet. The rest I largely agree with

Renegotiating a contract at this point in their contract is stupid. All it will do is make their cap hit even larger next year. It postpones the inevitable problem. They need to be extended.

Moore needs to bulk up, but I like him at DE. I think Aaron Lynch will be a good draft pick too. Give him a year to bulk up. He was a monster at Notre Dame at 275 last year and then he transferred. He'd be great in the fourth or fifth.

Also - if the front office knows that a certain player won't fit in the scheme or the coaches won't utilize him right... I reserve the right to chastise their ignorant decision to draft him because of his intangibles. They know what the scheme is, what the coaches what, how the coaches utilize certain players. We consistently have more misses than hits in the draft and its starting to catch up to us. You can't win in this league when you only hit on 1 or 2 of 7+ picks...
Harbinger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebron/Evans round one.
BPA OL round two.

McAdoo turns this to a top 5 offense and we cruise through the division.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: