Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If you could bring in 1 FA...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: If you could bring in 1 FA... Reply with quote

...and yes, cap concerns taken into account, who would you want brought in.

For me, it's TE Jeff Cumberland. For Steelers FFMD, I chose him with my extra pick courtesy of Hernandez's arrest.

Anyway, he'd be a cheap target with upside. He's got the speed to provide mismatches in the seam. He's intriguing to me as a cheap addition to our pass game. He'll never be a number one and he's not much of a blocker, which would limit his role to some degree, but that's why he'd be cheap.

I'd rather have him and his pass-game support than David Johnson and his blocking support. But no, if we pick a starter-worthy TE in the draft, then there would be no room for him with Heath, Spaeth, and rookie.

So, what say you?

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
treat88

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the knee injury and limited production to date keeping his pricetag in check, I'd love to see us add Brandon Spikes.

In that two down role he is a monster against the run and has enough instincts to play decent zone coverage. Perfect compliment to Timmons.

If he's too pricey still, I'd take a look at Erin Henderson, DUIs and all. Another kid thats proven strong against the run with enough range to play a capable Mike backer in a 43.

I think either of these guys could thrive with the limited responsibilities they'd be given in our scheme.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
With the knee injury and limited production to date keeping his pricetag in check, I'd love to see us add Brandon Spikes.

In that two down role he is a monster against the run and has enough instincts to play decent zone coverage. Perfect compliment to Timmons.

If he's too pricey still, I'd take a look at Erin Henderson, DUIs and all. Another kid thats proven strong against the run with enough range to play a capable Mike backer in a 43.

I think either of these guys could thrive with the limited responsibilities they'd be given in our scheme.

Yep, agree with Spikes, not so much with Henderson (DUIs). Dude's looking at suspensions, by the league or team. The ONLY bonus regarding Henderson is that he's no longer considered UFA after being cut, so that wouldn't be taken into consideration next year in the comp pick equation, as I believe we are staring at two potentials in Sanders and/or Worilds.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are luxury signings. The most vital area of need on this team is the secondary, where the team has two young players we can reasonably expect to start and...? Troy and Ike are gone sooner than later no matter what. They NEED to rework Ike's contract.

If this team shores up its secondary, they are a playoff team already. Chris Cook would be an interesting option. Should come pretty cheap. Good when on the field.

But Walter Thurmond is very interesting. I don't know what the market will be for him. Could be overpriced, but chance undervalued because of the talent around him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
These are luxury signings. The most vital area of need on this team is the secondary, where the team has two young players we can reasonably expect to start and...? Troy and Ike are gone sooner than later no matter what. They NEED to rework Ike's contract.

If this team shores up its secondary, they are a playoff team already. Chris Cook would be an interesting option. Should come pretty cheap. Good when on the field.

But Walter Thurmond is very interesting. I don't know what the market will be for him. Could be overpriced, but chance undervalued because of the talent around him.

We have needs everywhere. Luxury signings/picks are usually players that arent really needed, but would help. We NEED help at pretty much every position, so I dont see much of anything as a luxury.

I do agree, however, that I would probably target a free agent in the secondary, especially since free agency is set to be flooded with some pretty damn talented CBs, one of which we might be able to get if we are lucky. Doubt it though.....my guess is we will wait until all the good and even decent FAs are signed and pick up some scrubs that bottom feeds on our roster for a year or two.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some real cheap, high risk/high reward type of FA's to look at. It usually isn't the team's style. There are some veterans options, as well, which the team may consider. But if they stand pat and follow the routine of rookies who won't see the field...

I liked the names mentioned in this thread, but the secondary was the weakest part of the team from start to finish.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either the best LT or CB on the market. LT partially to make damn sure that we don't spend another top 2 rds pick on an OL this year.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linval Joseph NT
Alterraun Verner CB
Terrell Brown CB

I like D.Butler's long term potential at LB more than Spikes,
but he might not make it out of SD.
BigSnack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugene Monroe...... his contract would sting but upgrading our o line and hurting the ratbirds in the same moment makes me smile

Yeast infection.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally I would like FS Jairus Byrd but that's not happening.

I wouldn't mind to see a CB signed. There are some good ones out there but free agency has never been an exciting time for Steeler fans.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigSnack wrote:
Eugene Monroe...... his contract would sting but upgrading our o line and hurting the ratbirds in the same moment makes me smile

They could screw them over by signing DE Arthur Jones to replace Keisel as well. I like to see that.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigSnack wrote:

Even though Monroe was below average this year?

Maybe for cheap, but I certainly wouldnt sign him to a contract that would "sting". Dude has had one good season and has otherwise been very average. Id rather go another direction personally.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monroe isn't all that great. If we go after a FA LT, it should be Veldheer (if healthy) or Albert or Jordan Gross.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather see us sign Albert or Veldheer over Monroe but for me, the answer would be Branden Spikes or Jairus Byrd. (both of those assuming we actually had the money and frankly..especially when it comes to Byrd, we don't)

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
Monroe isn't all that great. If we go after a FA LT, it should be Veldheer (if healthy) or Albert or Jordan Gross.

While I agree in terms of talent, Veldheer I have trouble believing isnt a HGH guy or roider(not saying he is, just that I wouldnt be shocked) and am worried about issues that could arise there. Albert IMO would be the best choice but I think he will get overpaid. Gross is overrated by many. He has his moment but really has never been much more than an average LT. Was better at RT, which IMO, we dont really need right now.

I likely wouldnt touch any of the big name FA LTs for various reasons. Im fine giving our current group another year and hope Adams can develop under Munch. Id rather see us target one of the top FA CBs or Brandon Spikes.

Jarius Byrd is a pipe dream, so I wont mention him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: