Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CB in the 1st?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: CB in the 1st? Reply with quote

When is the last time we took a CB in the 1st round? Rod Woodson? Deon Figures?

Do you think we will do CB in the 1st? If so who do you want?

IDK I just have a feeling we won't... unless there is a Revis type prospect out there. I'm not familiar with the projected 1st round CBs... is there that type of guy in this years draft?

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Last edited by JDLefebvre on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
32houchen32

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 15

I would have to go with Dennard, if he is there.

Gilbert is a play maker, but not worth 15,IMO.
mwalker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time was Chad Scott, if I'm not mistaken?

I don't think they will, but if we did I'd want J.Gilbert. He's a playmaker and that is what we sorely lack. He comes with good size and return ability in year one.

I think round 2 - 5 brings some very interesting choices...

In 2..
B. Roby if he's around
K. Fuller could be special
M.Roberson, great size and athleticism

In 3...
K.McGill, a fav whom I think is very under-rated (also plays FS). Great size.
S.Jean-Baptiste, earlier was more a 4th, but there's some buzz
P.Desir, Small school kid with a lot of buzz
L.Purifoy
V.Hampton
E.Gaines

In 4...
Reynolds from Oregon St
Exum from Vtech

Later...

Lawson, Utah St
M.Williams, another small school standout

I think we go 2 CB's and a Safety in this draft...just don't think it's round 1.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to like mid round size speed guys...some names are Desir/Jean-Baptiste/McGill/Beauhman(sp?)/Aikens

People can pound on the table for Dennard/Gilbert etc etc...Steelers have shown no recent propensity to spend a 1st for their system CB.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
People can pound on the table for Dennard/Gilbert etc etc...Steelers have shown no recent propensity to spend a 1st for their system CB.

People have said this before about other positions but the trend regularly gets bucked...not just for our team but others as well.

The Steelers stay true to their draft board. Its rarely, if ever, about position and more about finding the player left on the board they FEEL can help them the most. Much like OT over the years, most of the better CBs are off the board when we pick in the first. Not to say those players wouldve been the pick, but they very well could have. And IMO, we wouldve taken Revis in 2007 if the Jets hadnt leapfrogged us.

I have absolutely no doubt that if there was a CB in the first they felt strongly about, they would take that player.

However, a player that fans like may not be a player they really like. If Steeler fans were shouting for us to take Dennard, and they didnt, that still wouldnt mean the Steelers were against picking corner in the first. It would just mean they either werent high on Dennard (or any other corner) or were higher on another player.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

People have said this before about other positions but the trend regularly gets bucked...not just for our team but others as well.

The Steelers stay true to their draft board. Its rarely, if ever, about position and more about finding the player left on the board they FEEL can help them the most. Much like OT over the years, most of the better CBs are off the board when we pick in the first. Not to say those players wouldve been the pick, but they very well could have. And IMO, we wouldve taken Revis in 2007 if the Jets hadnt leapfrogged us.

I have absolutely no doubt that if there was a CB in the first they felt strongly about, they would take that player.

However, a player that fans like may not be a player they really like. If Steeler fans were shouting for us to take Dennard, and they didnt, that still wouldnt mean the Steelers were against picking corner in the first. It would just mean they either werent high on Dennard (or any other corner) or were higher on another player.

Of course 1 year can buck a trend but there is nearly 20 years of no 1st rd CB.

Plus the recent track record of the size speed projects in the mid rounds is pretty clear...Lewis/Burnett/Allen/Hawthorne.

They do go at any position of need but they still clearly believe they can get certain positions later in the draft compared to others and vice versa due to their values.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

Plus the recent track record of the size speed projects in the mid rounds is pretty clear...Lewis/Burnett/Allen/Hawthorne.

They do go at any position of need but they still clearly believe they can get certain positions later in the draft compared to others and vice versa due to their values.

If they still believe that to be true with CBs. they are idiots. They have struck out time and time against with mid to late round CBs over the years. Keenan Lewis is the last good CB we drafted since Ike Taylor, and he didnt come around until his 4th year. Jury is still out on Cortez Allen.

RB, WR, OG, ILB, DE....I can see arguments for those......but CB is not a position that they should be assuming they can get good players at later in the draft. Not that its not possible, but it is unlikely, and their draft history over the last decade plus should be adequate proof of that.

We dont have the same crazy pass rush we used to, and unless they address that, they need more talent at CB. They could use more talent regardless, but without the pass rush, they need guys that can hold up in coverage longer.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

If they still believe that to be true with CBs. they are idiots. They have struck out time and time against with mid to late round CBs over the years. Keenan Lewis is the last good CB we drafted since Ike Taylor, and he didnt come around until his 4th year. Jury is still out on Cortez Allen.

RB, WR, OG, ILB, DE....I can see arguments for those......but CB is not a position that they should be assuming they can get good players at later in the draft. Not that its not possible, but it is unlikely, and their draft history over the last decade plus should be adequate proof of that.

We dont have the same crazy pass rush we used to, and unless they address that, they need more talent at CB. They could use more talent regardless, but without the pass rush, they need guys that can hold up in coverage longer.

I agree...just stating how they have done things.

For example, they seem to like a certain type of WR...5'10-6...190ish...more then quick then fast...YAC guy. They have gotten those type of guys..or tried to in mid to late rds...Brown/Sanders/Wheaton/Justin Brown.

Plus, as a respected poster said on another site...more college teams going spread offenses...more WR talent being used...can get solid guys throught the draft.

I really think the "big WR in the 1st" group is gonna be disappointed...Steelers far more likely to with guys like Herron/Landry/Cooks/Beckham in the mid rds.

As of now, I see the Steelers 1st rounder being a D guy despite it being offenses turn...value leans that way.

My thought process as of now...Steelers 1st rounder will be one of...

Ha-Ha
Mosley
Hageman
Nix
Amaro

Or if one of Barr/Mack somehow falls...

Just my 2 cents.

Gunny Highway wrote:
stillersenat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's our biggest need, IMO. But we will go BPA as usual, so...

Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth but the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth
treat88

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

I said the very same thing about LB once upon a time and, of course, they took Timmons that year. I still think it was just to spite me for sayin it.

I do think part of the history of the CB trend is just the inherent value of the position. Just like LT. The good ones are always gone when we pick. The ones that are available are a crapshoot with only slightly worse odds on the 2nd and 3rd round types.

If I were guessing, and hoping at this point, Dix would be the guy that I would be pulling for. Mosley is a stud, but I just can't get on board an ILB in the 1st...there I go again...ok, Mosley it is I guess.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

I said the very same thing about LB once upon a time and, of course, they took Timmons that year. I still think it was just to spite me for sayin it.

I do think part of the history of the CB trend is just the inherent value of the position. Just like LT. The good ones are always gone when we pick. The ones that are available are a crapshoot with only slightly worse odds on the 2nd and 3rd round types.

If I were guessing, and hoping at this point, Dix would be the guy that I would be pulling for. Mosley is a stud, but I just can't get on board an ILB in the 1st...there I go again...ok, Mosley it is I guess.

I think we discussed this a few weeks ago, but most of the better ILBs in this league were taken in the 1st or at least 2nd round. You can find good ones in later rounds, but I think pairing Mosely next to Timmons would be a great duo.

Dix....I was really high on him until I really got to sit down and watch him play more. He is a player that looked good in moderation, but the more i watched, the less impressed I was. I still wouldnt mind him in the 2nd round, but I no longer feel he is worth a top 20 pick. Thats just me though.
treat88

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
treat88 wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

I think we discussed this a few weeks ago, but most of the better ILBs in this league were taken in the 1st or at least 2nd round. You can find good ones in later rounds, but I think pairing Mosely next to Timmons would be a great duo.

Dix....I was really high on him until I really got to sit down and watch him play more. He is a player that looked good in moderation, but the more i watched, the less impressed I was. I still wouldnt mind him in the 2nd round, but I no longer feel he is worth a top 20 pick. Thats just me though.

Mosley is a solid player. It's just a position thing for me. He'd be coming off the field of passing downs in a passing driven league and doing it for the foreseeable future at that...unless you think he surpasses Timmons for nickel duties any time soon.

I like Dix more than Barron. In a copycat league teams will be falling all over themselves to add a FS with his range. Upside is thru the roof. Not a top 20? I will be stunned if he falls to 15.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
treat88 wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

Mosley is a solid player. It's just a position thing for me. He'd be coming off the field of passing downs in a passing driven league and doing it for the foreseeable future at that...unless you think he surpasses Timmons for nickel duties any time soon.

I like Dix more than Barron. In a copycat league teams will be falling all over themselves to add a FS with his range. Upside is thru the roof. Not a top 20? I will be stunned if he falls to 15.

I think Dix would have to go nuts at the combine to get taken top 15 or even top 20.

If he is just average, I expect him to fall to the bottom of the 1st or mid 2nd at the latest.

I wouldnt bet against him going top 15, I just dont see it. Same as when we talked about Brandon Weeden going first round. Unfortunately, Im not good at predicting other teams stupidity. Wink
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For example, they seem to like a certain type of WR...5'10-6...190ish...more then quick then fast...YAC guy.

LOL, I just realized we may be the only team in the NFL where our CBs avg height is taller than our WRs! Shocked

And yet our Safeties are also shorter, on avg, than our CBs!

But BOT. I personally would not like to see them spend a mid 1st on any of the CBs in this class. To me, none are on Revis talent level, and TBH, I really haven't seen a corner taken in the top half of Rd 1 recently that I've liked well enough to be taken there.

True, we are depleted in "young" talent at the position, and I certainly won't say a Dennard or Gilbert won't help us, but it's just a preference, I guess, especially this year, to get a playmaker on O in Rd 1. But I don't doubt for a second that if either of the top CBs impress them enough, that they won't pull the trigger. They truly do seem to stick to their board and take BPA. We've seen them do it time and time again with the likes of DD, Mendy, Holmes...all guys that were not expected to fall as far as they did, but were scooped up quickly when available at our pick. So if after all the pre-draft events have cleared, and Dennard or Gilbert seem to be top 15 locks, and one is there, wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers have been unfortunate when it comes to drafting CBs. Probably the worst drafting position on the team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: