Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Let's Talk About Peyton Manning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Osweiler Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Evidently, the Denver post expects Brock Osweiler to leave as a FA, not stay and wait to be Manning's successor:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7450/brock-osweiler

This assumes, though, that Manning won't retire until early 2017 (he is under contract through the 2016 season). I don't see him playing that long. He probably will play two more years, at most.

James Merilatt suggested on twitter that Manning is intending to play his contract out should his health allow it.

Bad news imo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Osweiler Reply with quote

champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Evidently, the Denver post expects Brock Osweiler to leave as a FA, not stay and wait to be Manning's successor:

This assumes, though, that Manning won't retire until early 2017 (he is under contract through the 2016 season). I don't see him playing that long. He probably will play two more years, at most.

James Merilatt suggested on twitter that Manning is intending to play his contract out should his health allow it.

Bad news imo.

Great news imo.

Except the fact that we wasted a 2nd round pick on a backup QB
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Osweiler Reply with quote

champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:

Bad news imo.

I want this upcoming season to be Peyton's last. And I think it will be.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
The Helicopter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Osweiler Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:

Will there be a large enough financial constraint in 2015 to force the issue or is it more related to building the future with Brock?

I say we finally give Orlando Franklin the go-ahead to eat opposing players, starting with Sherman.
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Osweiler Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:

I specifically told you this in multiple threads but you refused to believe Peyton would play beyond year three.

Fact is, there are only two circumstances under which I see Peyton not playing out the contract.
(i) Injury
(ii) He wins a Super Bowl and decides (probably along with family pressure) to walk away on top.

Outside of the above scenarios, Peyton is playing till he is at least 40. The man lives and breathes football & actually loves the grunt of the off season work needed to prepare for the regular season. Most folks who retire simply dont want to put in the work anymore. Peyton lives for the work.

Favre hated the off season work yet played in to his 40s. So why is there such doubt Peyton wont do the same?

With regards to Brock, it is actually simple. If the Broncos are convinced he is the future, they will do everything in their power to try to convince him to wait a couple more years to take over. If Peyton plays out his contract and retires, Brock would still only be 27 years when he takes over the reigns.

If Osweiller refuses to wait for the end of Peyton's era, then the Broncos will trade him- probably next off season with a return of at least a first rounder. Not a bad haul for a 2nd round investment.
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Osweiler Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:

Bad news imo.

Great news imo.

There is a very good chance that the Osweiller investment could net us a top 10 pick in return. Wasted pick indeed.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Osweiler Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:

Bad news imo.

Great news imo.

There is a very good chance that the Osweiller investment could net us a top 10 pick in return. Wasted pick indeed.

What the devil are you talking about?
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should ask you the same.
You are calling the Osweiller pick a potentially wasted pick if Peyton sees out his contract. And I am bringing your attention to the fact that labeling the pick a waste is a bit stupid considering what Brock is already worth on the market.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
You are calling the Osweiller pick a potentially wasted pick if Peyton sees out his contract. And I am bringing your attention to the fact that labeling the pick a waste is a bit stupid considering what Brock is already worth on the market.
who's going to pay a top 10 pick for him?

You are insane, even Matt Cassel only fetched a second rounder(and that was with Vrabel thrown in) after a pro bowl type year. Matt Flynn, Ryan Mallet, Chase Daniel, Kirk Cousins. These so called "value inflations" of backup QBs never happen.

The only way Os nets anything close to a first round pick, would be if Manning gets hurt quite early in the season, not enough to go on IR, but to keep him out for 6-8 games(much like Aaron Rodgers last year) then Brock comes in and plays well, but Manning comes back fully healthy and plays fantastically well in the playoffs
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
mke1010 wrote:

You are insane, even Matt Cassel only fetched a second rounder(and that was with Vrabel thrown in) after a pro bowl type year. Matt Flynn, Ryan Mallet, Chase Daniel, Kirk Cousins. These so called "value inflations" of backup QBs never happen.

The only way Os nets anything close to a first round pick, would be if Manning gets hurt quite early in the season, not enough to go on IR, but to keep him out for 6-8 games(much like Aaron Rodgers last year) then Brock comes in and plays well, but Manning comes back fully healthy and plays fantastically well in the playoffs

We'll see. Already O is worth a 1st round pick. Yes. You think one of the needy QB teams would not offer a late first round pick? You are insane if you think Brock was a wasted pick and comparing Matt Cassell to Brock Osweiller in terms of value? You must be smoking some pretty dope stuff.

Btw, my initial statement was that the Broncos will be able to get at at least a first round pick for Brock. And I stand unequivocally by that opinion.
My next statement was that he "could" net us a top 10 pick. I didnt say he WILL net us a top ten pick. Are there scenarios and circumstances that could make that a reality- yes.
Bottom line is that if the Broncos have to trade Osweiller, I predict he nets us a 1st round pick maybe not top 10 but for sure a 1st rounder.
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, I live in Houston and follow John McClain who covers the Texans. McClain is a legend here and no one knows more about that organization than this man.

When it was rumored that at least 4 teams had contacted the Broncos about Brock, McClain said rumors filtering out from the organization was that the Texans did not view any of the top three QBs as being worthy of the top pick. But of all three, O'Brien seemed to like Bortles the most.

Bortles has great physical tools but is very raw. Hence, the Texans viewed him as akin to a less polished version of what Osweiller has become in Denver. So there was debate about taking Clowney #1 and offering the Broncos the 1st pick of the 2nd round along with a 4th round pick.

McClain said this convo did not get much out of the exploratory phase as the Broncos made it very clear immediately Osweiller was not on the market- period!

So, my belief is that the Broncos know if and when the time comes they will get the equivalent of a 1st rounder for their investment,

Last edited by mke1010 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
mke1010 wrote:

We'll see. Already O is worth a 1st round pick. Yes. You think one of the needy QB teams would not offer a late first round pick? You are insane if you think Brock was a wasted pick and comparing Matt Cassell to Brock Osweiller in terms of value? You must be smoking some pretty dope stuff.

Btw, my initial statement was that the Broncos will be able to get at at least a first round pick for Brock. And I stand unequivocally by that opinion.
My next statement was that he "could" net us a top 10 pick. I didnt say he WILL net us a top ten pick. Are there scenarios and circumstances that could make that a reality- yes.
Bottom line is that if the Broncos have to trade Osweiller, I predict he nets us a 1st round pick maybe not top 10 but for sure a 1st rounder.

No. No. No. No. No, he's not.

If Brock leaves via Free Agency, it will be a bigger blunder than anything McDaniels did in Denver. Drafting a player in the 2nd round and never playing him or re-signing him, would be considered a complete disgrace.

I don't believe any of the talk from both sides. I think Peyton plays 1 maybe 2 years, and no matter happens with him, Brock still re-signs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Texans gave up two 2nd round picks and swapped 1st round picks with Atlanta for Matt Schaub who was drafted in the 3rd round and sat behind Michael Vick much like Brock is doing with Manning.

If Osweiller is traded after this up coming season, a more similar scenario maybe Brett Favre.
Favre was selected in the second round of the 1991 NFL Draft by Atlanta (33rd overall). He was traded to Green Bay on February 10, 1992, for the 19th pick in the 1992 NFL Draft.

Osweiller was selected #57 in the 2nd round and a team that likes him is likely to offer a deal similar to Favre. And before someone goes ape I am not saying Osweiller is Favre. But at the time Favre was traded he was not Favre either.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Osweiler Reply with quote

The Helicopter wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:

Will there be a large enough financial constraint in 2015 to force the issue or is it more related to building the future with Brock?

Elway has proven himself to be a cold-hearted executive (and I say that in the most complimentary way) who doesn't put sentimentality ahead of what's best for the team. However, Peyton's play would have to diminish to such an extent that he could be let go in a manner not dissimilar from Champ. I cannot see financial considerations being the over-riding factor in our parting company with Peyton.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock Osweiler is not worth a first round pick right now. If someone offers Denver a first, and they don't plan on parting ways with Manning, Denver should take the first and run with it.

I cannot see a situation where Denver lets Osweiler leave, frankly. I don't see Peyton continuing to play for three more seasons. Maybe it's naive, but I doubt it. If Elway lets Osweiler walk, that would just make him look insanely stupid. Why the hell would we have wasted a second round pick then?

There's a plan with Osweiler, like there has been with every other worthwhile player on this team. I trust Elway, but if we let Osweiler go with no compensation and never see what we had in him, I would have some serious questions.

Thanks, Tzimisce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: