Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pre-combine mock draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colwell5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Pre-combine mock draft. Reply with quote

Please comment on the player and not the round they might have been selected in. Also let me say that the defense needs to be replenished with talent especially the secondary, so I doubled on corners and added a safety.

1. Darqueze Dennard - CB - Michigan St.
2. Deone Bucannon S Washington St.
3. [Comp. pick M. Wallace] Mike Davis WR - Texas
4. James Gayle OLB Virginia Tech
4. [Comp. pick Keenan Lewis] Andre Hal CB - Vanderbilt
5. Ed Stinson DL - Alabama
6. James White RB Wisconsin
7. Daryl Williams OL - Oklahoma
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennard is nice but will be/should be gone by 10.
Bucannon is athletic he excels downhill, don't love his sense of urgency or play in the clutch.
Mike Davis is the prime example of a player that should've amounted to a lot more, underwhelms from capabilities. Can say QBs were part of the issue but similar examples could be seen at Senior Bowl. I'd say he's more like a 5th round pick that I'd still expect to never live up to abilities.
Not a big fan of Gayle, never really been impressed. I believe he broke his wrist or something at Senior Bowl practices, they walked him out with his wrist/hand elevated.
Stinson dont have a great read on him yet but hasnt jumped off any screens as far as I have seen.
White....there are too many options at the position to be taking White at this point. Antonio Andrews rocked the house at Senior Bowl with his pass blocking ability I'd be more excited about him as an option here.
Andre Hal is somebody that I did take notice to. I have him on my radar but dont have a good review for you at the moment.

...you have a forum resume?
steelkev43

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Dennard is nice but will be/should be gone by 10.
Bucannon is athletic he excels downhill, don't love his sense of urgency or play in the clutch.
Mike Davis is the prime example of a player that should've amounted to a lot more, underwhelms from capabilities. Can say QBs were part of the issue but similar examples could be seen at Senior Bowl. I'd say he's more like a 5th round pick that I'd still expect to never live up to abilities.
Not a big fan of Gayle, never really been impressed. I believe he broke his wrist or something at Senior Bowl practices, they walked him out with his wrist/hand elevated.
Stinson dont have a great read on him yet but hasnt jumped off any screens as far as I have seen.
White....there are too many options at the position to be taking White at this point. Antonio Andrews rocked the house at Senior Bowl with his pass blocking ability I'd be more excited about him as an option here.
Andre Hal is somebody that I did take notice to. I have him on my radar but dont have a good review for you at the moment.

JMO but Dennard won't go top-10. I don't think he goes top-20. His middling speed and height will be uncovered at the combine. He also hasn't played much zone. I like him, but not at 1.15. Again, JMO.

I think Buccannon is a 3rd rounder.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I hate that entire mock. There are guys I like on it but if that's the way our draft panned out I think I'd puke. Not addressing TE at all? Mike Davis is our answer for a WR? Who is Daryl Williams? 5 Defensive players and 3 of them in the secondary? ugh...

Sig courtesy of IDOG
Steelersnation7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-combine mock draft. Reply with quote

Colwell5 wrote:
Please comment on the player and not the round they might have been selected in. Also let me say that the defense needs to be replenished with talent especially the secondary, so I doubled on corners and added a safety.

This is a terrible mock draft 1st round go Mike Evans 2nd go Bradley Roby
3rd round comp Ed Reynolds 4th round Cristan Jones 5th round ryan Carrethers or McCullers or Justin Ellis 5th round comp Seantrel Henderson or Arthur Lynch 6th round De'anthony Thomas or Aaron Colvin 7th round Shaquille Barrett 7th round comp Kirby van demp punter
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-combine mock draft. Reply with quote

Steelersnation7 wrote:
Colwell5 wrote:

This is a terrible mock draft 1st round go Mike Evans 2nd go Bradley Roby
3rd round comp Ed Reynolds 4th round Cristan Jones 5th round ryan Carrethers or McCullers or Justin Ellis 5th round comp Seantrel Henderson or Arthur Lynch 6th round De'anthony Thomas or Aaron Colvin 7th round Shaquille Barrett 7th round comp Kirby van demp punter

You say his mock is terrible and I think yours is equally as bad if not worse.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
steelerfreak76

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
...I hate that entire mock. There are guys I like on it but if that's the way our draft panned out I think I'd puke.

I think your perceived needs and the Steelers actual needs are very different. While I'm not crazy about this mock, It isn't nearly as bad as you're making it sound.

wwhickok wrote:
Not addressing TE at all?

I'm sick and tired of hearing people in this forum say the Steelers "need" a tight end. Whether you all like it or not Miller will be a Steelers for at least a few more years. It also wouldn't be "The end of the World" if they didn't take a tight end at all, this year. They currently have 3 tight ends under contract through 2014. Miller will be extended, mainly to save money under the cap. Sure Spaeth and Paulson aren't anything to brag about, but they are decent 2nd and 3rd tight ends.

wwhickok wrote:
5 Defensive players and 3 of them in the secondary? ugh...

The Steelers defense was down right awful at times last season, if the Steelers chose to use every pick on the defensive side I'd understand why. The Steelers defense IMO needs a drastic overhaul, they'll more than likely lose Keisel, Clark, Hood, Worilds and possibly Taylor. Polamalu has maybe a year or 2 left, with nobody behind him ready to step in. Woodley has been a huge disappointment since signing his new contract and could also be traded or released. So the Steelers could be losing over half of their defensive starters and your "ugh" because he has the Steelers drafting 5 players on defense.
Colwell5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to comment please talk about the player specifically and why he might not fit or why he would fit. Just tossing it out completely doesn't lend itself to much of a discussion.

If you look at this mock Dennard is a Thorpe award winning corner that would possibly give this secondary a legit number one. Bucannon is very talented safety that would look good next to Thomas, Bucannon produced big plays throughout his career. Mike Davis is another 3rd round diamond in the rough that Colbert has become very good at finding, I have heard Davis has looked good in workouts and at the very least could challenge Justin Brown and Derrick Moye for that third or fourth wideout slot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZndVXiDe8Y - some highlights.
The rest of this draft is about providing depth this team needs to do just that at all levels of the team. Check out James White too if you haven't the kid would be a great number 2.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colwell5 wrote:
If your going to comment please talk about the player specifically and why he might not fit or why he would fit. Just tossing it out completely doesn't lend itself to much of a discussion.

If you look at this mock Dennard is a Thorpe award winning corner that would possibly give this secondary a legit number one. Bucannon is very talented safety that would look good next to Thomas, Bucannon produced big plays throughout his career. Mike Davis is another 3rd round diamond in the rough that Colbert has become very good at finding, I have heard Davis has looked good in workouts and at the very least could challenge Justin Brown and Derrick Moye for that third or fourth wideout slot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZndVXiDe8Y - some highlights.
The rest of this draft is about providing depth this team needs to do just that at all levels of the team. Check out James White too if you haven't the kid would be a great number 2.

There are so many mocks that get posted on here that I dont think people feel like going in depth with every player in every mock. If there is something that lends itself to more discussion, so be it....but in a case like....Mike Evans, Ive already made my feelings on him clear and why I dont like him several times, and not going to break it down every time someone mocks him to us. Im sure others feel the same, so its easier just to say like or dont like...or some variation of that.

In terms of your mock, I have no issues with it positionally since we need help everywhere. However, after the first round, it feels like alot of reaches. Literally every player IMO up until about the 5th round feel like full round reach. Obviously, thats just one mans opinion, however, up until Stinson in the 5th, I dont really like any of those players at those spots. Guys like Davis and Gayle are WAY too inconsistent. Drop them each down a round and I probably wouldnt have an issue. Buchanon I admittedly dont know alot about, but from what I do I have a hard time believing his is worth a 2nd round pick....but I wont slam that pick much.

Like Dennard in the first.

Like Stinson in the fifth.

Like White if he runs in the 4.4 range (although he will probably go 2 or 3 rounds earlier if that happens)

The rest are either reaches IMO or players I am not very familiar with at this point.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Colwell5 wrote:

There are so many mocks that get posted on here that I dont think people feel like going in depth with every player in every mock. If there is something that lends itself to more discussion, so be it....but in a case like....Mike Evans, Ive already made my feelings on him clear and why I dont like him several times, and not going to break it down every time someone mocks him to us. Im sure others feel the same, so its easier just to say like or dont like...or some variation of that.

In terms of your mock, I have no issues with it positionally since we need help everywhere. However, after the first round, it feels like alot of reaches. Literally every player IMO up until about the 5th round feel like full round reach. Obviously, thats just one mans opinion, however, up until Stinson in the 5th, I dont really like any of those players at those spots. Guys like Davis and Gayle are WAY too inconsistent. Drop them each down a round and I probably wouldnt have an issue. Buchanon I admittedly dont know alot about, but from what I do I have a hard time believing his is worth a 2nd round pick....but I wont slam that pick much.

Like Dennard in the first.

Like Stinson in the fifth.

Like White if he runs in the 4.4 range (although he will probably go 2 or 3 rounds earlier if that happens)

The rest are either reaches IMO or players I am not very familiar with at this point.

You like White but didn't like Ball?

...you have a forum resume?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: