Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft qb in first three rounds?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romo is getting pretty old, but not old enough for making a QB a must early in the draft. If the value is there though, no doubt we should take a QB.
htfryar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking either Carr in the 2nd or Garoppolo in the 3rd would be very smart on our part. We got lucky with Romo. Before he came along, it was a long line of nobodies after Aikman retired. We do not want to go through that ish again.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.

Last edited by htfryar on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
obie16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Kirk cousins, I read On Walterfootball.com that Chris Mortenson said he could be had for a 3rd or 4th rd Pick, from the Browns, with Kyle being there new OC thought it would have been a good fit for them
Da Boyz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obie16 wrote:
What about Kirk cousins, I read On Walterfootball.com that Chris Mortenson said he could be had for a 3rd or 4th rd Pick, from the Browns, with Kyle being there new OC thought it would have been a good fit for them

I wouldn't mind, though I'm sure with multiple teams interested the skins would make us overpay. Plus Kirk wants to be a starter, not wait another 2 plus seasons

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe Cowboys need to figure out where QB ranks as a need. If the value is there grab a QB who can be developed and can step in when the time is right for Romo to move on. Romo won't play forever and lightening won't strike twice re finding another free agent who turns out the way Romo has.

The last thing we want is a crisis at the QB position.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obie16 wrote:

With Kirk being 25, he's a bit older then what I would prefer. Romo still could have 5 years in him, who knows. He's a QB. Also if he haven't become the starter in the next two years (which would be very likely), he would just walk when his contract is up.
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a sticky subject to talk about...but it may just be a mirror of last year when Dallas took a TE in round 2 and surprised everyone...i could honestly see Jerry taking a guy like Carr or Garoppolo in round 2 although both should very well be long gone by then which would end the debate.

Peace
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sodakcowboy78 wrote:
I think this is a sticky subject to talk about...but it may just be a mirror of last year when Dallas took a TE in round 2 and surprised everyone...i could honestly see Jerry taking a guy like Carr or Garoppolo in round 2 although both should very well be long gone by then which would end the debate.

Peace

Don't bet on it. Jerry doesn't think that way. He's obsessed with TEs because of Parcells and the ludicrous notion that a "12" offense is worth something because New England runs it and he wanted to follow the trend. Jerry is a follower when it comes to schemes. He does not, and has not, employed an appropriate long term strategy to help give the organization an identity. That's why we constantly change things mid-stream every few years. He never sticks with anything. But the one constant is that he avoids drafting QBs until it's a heaping dumpster fire. Plus, with Romo's utterly ludicrous contract, there's no way he'd take one because of the money he has locked up there coupled with the all-too-obvious media stories which would attempt to drum up a "QB controversy" because we drafted a QB with a high pick. It just isn't going to happen.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone with a lot of potential falls to that late 20s to early second range, but was pegged in that 1-15 overall range (Which could be likely this year according to many scounts), I wouldn't be upset if we pulled the trigger on trading up to take him.

Romo isn't young. He's got time no doubt about it, but there is no harm in letting Romo play out his career and letting a lower-pressure 28th overall pick or 34th overall pick or what have you, sit and learn for a while before we need him.

And y'know, while I'm not sold on Manziel at all, giving him 3 years on the bench to learn from the veterans can usually provide the extra push some of those high-talent high-risk QBs need when they get their shot to play. History shows you can get, at the least, a capable starter by letting highly-talented yet high-risk (regardless of reason) QBs sit and learn for a while.

So in short version I'd say, yeah, I'd be cool with an early pick on a QB and go even as far as to say I'd be fine with trading back up into the late first or moving up in the early second to take one.

If you think you got someone on your board who can be a great player at a position that's got a great veteran in their 30s, you take them. Don't matter the position or how great the star veteran is. Good teams build depth even at quality positions.

Favre-Rodgers, Montana-Young, Simms-Hostetler, Bledsoe-Brady, Guys get hurt and not even the greatest can play forever. End of story.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
retrolock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Tebow? Would have he develop into a starting-caliber QB if he sat behind some veteran in his first 3 years? Some people have compared Manziel to him. Or it must be just me.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrolock wrote:
How about Tebow? Would have he develop into a starting-caliber QB if he sat behind some veteran in his first 3 years? Some people have compared Manziel to him. Or it must be just me.

Manziel does not run as hard as Tebow, and Tebow doesn't throw nearly as well as Manziel especially on the run.

And Tebow was a capable starter. While his completion percentage is pathetic, he won plenty of games (including playoff games, having more wins in the playoffs or as many wins in the playoffs as some very good QBs including our own Tony Romo), ran for something like 600 yards in half of a season, and scored more than he turned theball over. Thats a capable starter. He doesn't play pretty, but the kid can play.

The fear is that he won't improve his ability to throw downfield, and it will cost teams in the long run to start him because of that. But that all is besides the point.

Had he been able to watch and learn for a few years, of course he'd have performed even better when given the chance. Every QB can benefit from time sitting and learning. Think of it as going to college - you don't just jump from High School into your career (assuming it's not something that doesn't require an education), do you? No, you go to school for 4 more years or longer to learn to do the job your career will need you to do, and you train, practice, and learn so that when you get into your field you may not have the experience but you have the know-how and the confidence to do the job. Becoming a Quarterback is very similar in that regard.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
DallasPride28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if we pulled the trigger on a guy in this draft for in the next few years. Romos getting older and its only a matter of time before his play or body cannot handle the game anymore. It would be a plus to have the successor grooming waiting in the wings until his moment to start. Its great what the packers did with Rodgers and I would love if we did that as well. Sure Rodgers was arguably the best QB in that draft but this draft holds a lot of good talent too.

Adopt-A-Cowboy(Dez Bryant)
46 catches, 706 yards, 7 touchdown, 15.3 average
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrolock wrote:

No. He can't play. He has no ability to be an NFL QB, which is why he's no longer in the NFL and works for ESPN as an SEC analyst.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
DallasPride28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
retrolock wrote:

No. He can't play. He has no ability to be an NFL QB, which is why he's no longer in the NFL and works for ESPN as an SEC analyst.

Agreed. How this guy continues to be in the news or talked about a team signing him is beyond me. I mean it wasn't hard to see back then that he wasnt going to amount to a starter quality QB and still he's talked about.

Adopt-A-Cowboy(Dez Bryant)
46 catches, 706 yards, 7 touchdown, 15.3 average
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:
Way too many needs to be taking a quarterback in the early rounds at this point.

Disagree. Romo's age and health should be taken into consideration. If the value is there anywhere in the first three rounds, we should pull the trigger and draft a QB.

Romo's age and health make it more of a priority, but I think if you get a QB you had rated much higher fall in your lap, take him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: