Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Combine Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
if we decide to draft a QB later on in the draft a guy that i think would fit well with BOB's system is Logan Thomas

he was projected as a 1st rounder a few years ago and has struggled a little, but he has the skill set to develop. He might be the steal of this years draft

...what? Really? Logan Thomas?

Yeah. No.

I'd rather draft Clowney and let HIM play QB. Can't be worse than Thomas.

I was talking like 4th or 5th round

Even then, he's a waste of a pick. You already have an established 3rd string QB in either Case Keenum/TJ Yates, and a 2nd string guy should be a veteran such as Matt Cassel or Chad Henne - someone who has had their feet held to the fire in this league, has substantial experience to lean on.

Logan Thomas is considerably worse than any QB we currently have...and that speaks volumes, because the QBs we currently have are some of the worst in the NFL.

Thomas is a mid tier CFL QB at absolute best.

i think he is a sleeper, and in the right set up he could develop, light it up in some pre season games in a few years and get a starting gig with someone

You're wrong.

No I'm pretty sure I'm correct that that's what I think
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
Logan Thomas = TE / case closed

(BTW it was what VT recruited him as.... then they saw him throw)

Im sorry but to completely dismiss him as a qb is asinine. Hes a solid qb prospect. Have you ever seen him play qb?

Asinine? Almost everybody invited to the combine is probably a solid prospect at their respective positions - THAT'S WHY THEY GOT INVITED.

Nothing screams NFL QB about LT right now - other than his size. Go back and look at tape of him in college over the last 2 years and look at his play in "all-star" practices / games + his combine throws.

Yes, his OCs kept changing, but that is the nature of the business and it only gets worse in the NFL.

Whereas he as the tools to play TE and it is what got him noticed in the first place by VT. He has the size / tools to play TE and probably to do it well. Some of the best NFL TEs started out as HS & college QBs - even our own OD. Wink

And I don't appreciate the implication that I would dismiss somebody's future prospects so quickly. So to answer your question... yes, I have seen him play QB and I STILL think he would make a better pro TE than QB. He was actually a player that early on in his collegiate career, I could envision as the starting QB of the Texans. Has that changed? Abso-freaking-lutely.
1 missed goal line FF (stupid refs Wink )
dsorc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking O'Brien could bring in somebody to play a Danny Woodhead type role as a receiving RB. There are some nice fast RBs that could be had later in the draft. DeAnthony Thomas gets all the attention but Archer and McKinnon are also doing well so far.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Evans helped himself with his 4.51. I think his biggest knock was his speed and while that's not blazing I think most people thought he would run a 4.6
biggio7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Thinking O'Brien could bring in somebody to play a Danny Woodhead type role as a receiving RB. There are some nice fast RBs that could be had later in the draft. DeAnthony Thomas gets all the attention but Archer and McKinnon are also doing well so far.

I think so. Belton was his speedster at PSU.

Adopt a Texan: Mr. Kareem Jackson
FFBB; Suule o nerte!
Grasspike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
Logan Thomas = TE / case closed

(BTW it was what VT recruited him as.... then they saw him throw)

Im sorry but to completely dismiss him as a qb is asinine. Hes a solid qb prospect. Have you ever seen him play qb?

I have, for three years. He's horrific. He had a very good sophomore year that everyone got excited about, then got worse each year after that. He's a tremendous athlete, but he will never be an NFL QB.

VA Tech fans missed Tyrod Taylor during Logan Thomas' last two years. I think that says everything you need to know.

Sig by matthouston91
Grasspike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note, I've stayed out of arguing about Manziel because at this point, no one will be convinced of anything, but I will say that the media is confusing me in their coverage of him. He measured in under 6 ft, and no one made a big deal about it. He ran a 40 that was .13 seconds slower than his unofficial listed time and Yahoo! called it "speedy" while SI called it "stellar". He doesn't look impressive at all on the hoof. None of this really matters, but I've seen several players get crushed for merely meeting expectations. I don't understand why the narrative isn't the same for Johnny Football.

Sig by matthouston91
treece300e

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
On another note, I've stayed out of arguing about Manziel because at this point, no one will be convinced of anything, but I will say that the media is confusing me in their coverage of him. He measured in under 6 ft, and no one made a big deal about it. He ran a 40 that was .13 seconds slower than his unofficial listed time and Yahoo! called it "speedy" while SI called it "stellar". He doesn't look impressive at all on the hoof. None of this really matters, but I've seen several players get crushed for merely meeting expectations. I don't understand why the narrative isn't the same for Johnny Football.

I expected him to run a faster 40 than he did. The size doesn't really bother me too much since so many people seem to be inaccurate with their measurements, whether it's by design or just nonchalance.

I was actually pretty bummed that Teddy did nothing. Not only because I still think he has something to prove, but because he is potentially robbing other QBs, like Brett Smith, from attending. In my opinion, athletes that accept the combine invite should only be able to skip a drill or workout if they are medically ruled out. I thought Bortles' delivery looked very good and he has all the measurables a coach could want. I don't think he's better than TB right now, but he may have a higher ceiling. I am going to trust BOB if he think he can turn Bortles into a legitimate NFL QB.
RandomCampBody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cole416 wrote:
mse326 wrote:
I'm still on Teddy with #1, but Bortles has looked really good out there in drills.

I'll have to go back and look at the tape again, but I've always been a bit higher on him than most here since most of his issues are technical and can be coached out.

Again, I'd rather go Teddy, but I don't think I'd be upset with Borles, only a bit nervous.

I have pretty much the same opinion on this. I trust B'OB to get a make a good QB but it just seems easier with Teddy.

I'd honestly put money on you guys drafting Bortles, it's a done deal imo.

Just too many stories coming out about Bortles to the texans for the last month.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jadaveon Clowney just ran a 4.47 unofficially. Sheesh Shocked

I still want Teddy in the draft, but I wouldnt be mad at Clowney. That's crazy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple things about Manziel

I was disappointed in his 40 time, but for QBs, i think the 2 biggest indicators are the 10 yard sprint and the shuttle and cone.

As a QB, you arent asked to be able to break away from people, just to be able to escape the pocket and pick up a quick first down. Looking at those numbers, Manziel impressed...a lot.

his 10 yard was 1.59, which tied for the fastest time among QBs
his Shuttle was 4.03 which was the faster time, and it wasnt even close
his cone was 6.75, which was 2nd

so needless to say, JF is every bit the quick first step guy he showed in college.

he is basically 6ft even, which is good enough for Wilson and Brees, and his hand size was huge. ....plus I think he measured out in the top 5 of every catagory

bottom line, he is what we thought he was....I dont think he helped or hurt himself at all this week on the field. He handled the media very well, and how he did in the interviews is a mystery to everyone

his pro day and private workouts will determine his fate, people are going to want to watch him throw the ball

on a side note, Logan Thomas blew up the workouts. I thought he threw the ball decently, but his measurables were insane for a guy 6ft6 250 pounds, i was impressed, dude is a freak athlete, probably the freakish QB at the combine. I hear all your complaints about him, but i still think in 2-3 years in the right system he could develop. He just needs a system that is QB friendly, and doesnt ask him to do too much.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just read a Todd McShay article on the QBs

* Manziel really impressed in his interviews
* BB didnt get great marks on his throwing from some but did from others and people were shocked by his slow 40 time
*He said Logan Thomas is the ultimate QB project
* Bridgewater didnt do anything
* Jimmy Garoppolo got several good reports, and was possibly the best passer sunday
RandomCampBody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's wrong about teddy, he did everything but throw and the 40.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomCampBody wrote:

he didnt do any of the running, all he did was the jumps
treece300e

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
RandomCampBody wrote:

he didnt do any of the running, all he did was the jumps

According to NFL.com, Teddy did the broad jump, vertical jump, 3-cone, and 20-yard shuttle. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/teddy-bridgewater?id=2543465

I was actually very surprised by Derek Carr's workout. I wish he would have thrown, but all of his drills were much better than I was expecting.

I was expecting Bortles to have a better workout as well, but I personally thought he looked pretty decent throwing the ball. I really like his delivery.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: