Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Combine Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jch1911

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: 2014 NFL Combine Thread Reply with quote

The official combine invitees list is out
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24431806/nfl-draft-combine-list-includes-85-underclassmen

NFL list & analysis here: http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

Here is the official combine website: http://www.nfl.com/combine

I am looking forward to getting a look at / seeing measureables on:
QUARTERBACKS
*Bortles, Blake, Central Florida
Bridgewater, Theodore (Teddy), Louisville
Carr, Derek, Fresno State
Garoppolo, James (Jimmy), Eastern Illinois
*Manziel, Johnnyxas A & M
Mettenberger, Zachary (Zach), Louisiana State
Murray, Aaron, Georgia

RUNNING BACKS
Andrews, Antonio, Western Kentucky
Archer, Dri, Kent State
*Atkinson, George, Notre Dame
*Bibbs, Kapri, Colorado State
*Carey, Ka'deem, Arizona
Cornett, Timothy (Tim), Nevada - Las Vegas
*Freeman, Devonta, Florida State
*Hill, Jeremy, Louisiana State
Hyde, Carlos, Ohio State
*Johnson, Westleigh (Storm), Central Florida
*Josey, Henry, Missouri
*Mason, Tre, Auburn
Millard, Trey, Oklahoma
*Seastrunk, Lache, Baylor
Sims, Charles, West Virginia
*Wilder, James, Florida State
Williams, Andre, Boston College

TIGHT ENDS
*Amaro, Jacexas Tech
Duncan, Joseph (Joe Don), Dixie
*Ebron, Eric, North Carolina
Fedorowicz, Colton (C.J.), Iowa
Gillmore, Crockett, Colorado State
*Lyerla, Colt, Oregon - I bet teams are really wanting to talk to him / get a psych eval
Najvar, Jordan, Baylor
*Niklas, Troy, Notre Dame
*Seferian-Jenkins, Austin, Washington

WIDE RECEIVERS
Abbrederis, Jared, Wisconsin
*Beckham, Odell, Louisiana State
*Benjamin, Kelvin, Florida State
Colter, Theodis (Kain), Northwestern
Davis, Michael (Mike) Texas
*Evans, Mikexas A & M
Grant, Ryan, Tulane - Roll Green Wave
*Robinson, Allen, Penn State
* Watkins, Sammy, Clemson

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
Britt, Justin, Missouri
Henderson, Seantrel, Miami
Ikard, Gabriel (Gabe), Oklahoma
*Kouandijo, Cyrus, Alabama
Lewan, Taylor, Michigan
Martin, Zachary (Zack), Notre Dame
Matthews, Jacob (Jake), Texas A & M
Richburg, Weston, Colorado State
*Robinson, Greg, Auburn

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN
Carrethers, Ryan, Arkansas State
*Clowney, Jadeveon, South Carolina
Ford, Donald (Dee), Auburn
Gayle, Jacon (James), Virginia Tech
Jeffcoat, Jackson, Texas
*Jernigan, Timmy, Florida State
*Lynch, Aaron, South Florida
*Nix, Louis, Notre Dame
*Tuitt, Stephon, Notre Dame

DEFENSIVE TACKLES
Ellis, Justin, Louisiana Tech
Hageman, Ra'shede, Minnesota
Jones, Daquan, Penn State
Mc Cullers, Daniel (Dan) Tennessee
Reid, Caralin, Princeton

LINEBACKERS
Attaochu, Jeremiah (Jerry), Georgia Tech
Barr, Anthony, UCLA
Barrow, Lamin, Louisiana State
Borland, Christopher (Chris), Wisconsin
Hubbard, Adrian, Alabama
Mack, Khalil, Buffalo
Murphy, Trenton (Trent), Stanford
*Shazier, Ryan, Ohio State
Skov, Shayne, Stanford
*Smallwood, Yawin, Connecticut
Smith, Telvin, Florida State
Van Noy, Kyle, Brigham Young

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Bailey, Dion, Southern California
Brooks, Terrrence, Florida State
*Clinton-Dix, Ha'sean (Ha Ha), Alabama
Cockrell, Ross, Duke
Colvin, Aaron, Oklahoma ??? just measured & interviewed maybe???
Dennard, Darqueze, Michigan State
Desir, Pierre, Lindenwood
Exum, Antone, Virginia Tech
Gaines, Edwin (E.J.), Missouri
Gaines, Phillip, Rice
Gilbert, Justin, Oklahoma State
Jean-Baptiste, Stanley (Stan), Nebraska
Joyner, Lamarcus, Florida State
Mc Gill, Keith, Utah
*Pryor, Calvin, Louisville
*Purifoy, Loucheiz, Florida
*Roby, Bradley, Ohio State
Vereen, Brock, Minnesota
Verrett, Jasonxas Christian
Ward, Jimmie, Northern Illinois
1 missed goal line FF (stupid refs Wink )
mse326

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointed Brett Smith wasn't invited. He's someone I really wanted to see in case we decide not to take a QB at #1.

#JDI
jch1911

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
Disappointed Brett Smith wasn't invited. He's someone I really wanted to see in case we decide not to take a QB at #1.

I was surprised by his exclusion also (about 12-13 early declarers were excluded from combine).

Do you think they were sending a message to potential early entrants?
1 missed goal line FF (stupid refs Wink )
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested to see if they put Jadeveon Clowney through LB drills. The only way he'd make sense to the Texans at #1 would be as an OLB. I hope that Teddy Bridgewater has a great Combine, he's my pick at #1, and we can hopefully get off this Bortles and Manziel push.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the height of Manziel will be the biggest story of the combine, if he hits the 6ft mark, then hes going to be a top 5 pick, if he ends up at like 5ft 9 or something crazy then he might fall out of the first round.

If i remember right was Wilson measured at like 5ft 93/4 or something like that? If he was over 6ft he would have been a first rounder

Im not sure why Manziel has kept it such a secret, its not like he can change it between now and the combine....i guess the idea was to have as many people look at his performance before dismissing him over height

weight for manziel will matter too, if he is in the 215 range, that will be pretty beefed up
Carrer marks:
992 catches 13,381 yards 63 TDs
Garagely

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:

Was a complete shock to me as well!

I'll be the guy banging the Kyle Van Noy drum till May.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dontae Johnson (NC State) will do well at the Combine. NC State players tend to do well at the Combine. There aren't many 6-3 corners with coverage skill to come out, and with tall corners like Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson being among the best in the NFL, I think more teams will look for them.

Also, I just really want to see Clowney storm the Combine like Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson. I don't particularly care to draft him, but I do want to watch him raise the standards of what a human being is physically capable of doing.

Sig by matthouston91
RandomCampBody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
I think the height of Manziel will be the biggest story of the combine, if he hits the 6ft mark, then hes going to be a top 5 pick, if he ends up at like 5ft 9 or something crazy then he might fall out of the first round.

If i remember right was Wilson measured at like 5ft 93/4 or something like that? If he was over 6ft he would have been a first rounder

Im not sure why Manziel has kept it such a secret, its not like he can change it between now and the combine....i guess the idea was to have as many people look at his performance before dismissing him over height

weight for manziel will matter too, if he is in the 215 range, that will be pretty beefed up

Wilson was 5ft10 5/8

You guys seem to be hiring everyone that has coached Bortles so it's starting to look like all the rumours were true
buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that they have no clue who they want at this time.

At this in time in 2006 everyone had the Texans taking Reggie Bush or Vince Young so really think its too early to tell.

O'Brien being OC under Bortles college coach should give him some extra insight into Bortles or at least some insider info on him.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:

At this in time in 2006 everyone had the Texans taking Reggie Bush or Vince Young so really think its too early to tell.

O'Brien being OC under Bortles college coach should give him some extra insight into Bortles or at least some insider info on him.

i dont ever remember Young being consider....at this point in the 06 draft it was a foregone conclusion that we were taking Reggie Bush...i think that remained the thinking until we signed Mario right before the draft
Carrer marks:
992 catches 13,381 yards 63 TDs
dsorc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
buckwild wrote:

i dont ever remember Young being consider....at this point in the 06 draft it was a foregone conclusion that we were taking Reggie Bush...i think that remained the thinking until we signed Mario right before the draft

National media said Bush, local media and UT fans said Young. There is an illogical infatuation with local college QBs that has continued with the push for Case and now Manziel. I'm sure there were some who also wanted us to trade up for RG3.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
buckwild wrote:

National media said Bush, local media and UT fans said Young. There is an illogical infatuation with local college QBs that has continued with the push for Case and now Manziel. I'm sure there were some who also wanted us to trade up for RG3.

There's nothing illogical about the push for Manziel, especially considering he's a better prospect than every QB you just mentioned as a pro prospect.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some MAJOR issues I have seen (consistently) with the top 3 qbs.

Blake Bortles (and his is the worst by FAR) struggles BIG TIME with accuracy when throwing left. I have watched numerous games now of him and Im telling you, he struggles bad throwing left. When wrs catch it, its low and they have to dive/slide to get it. Big time concern IMO

Teddy and Johnny both struggle with this, they tend to drift backwards when the pocket collapses. Not always, but enough to notice and see it could be a problem.

Teddy doesn't use his athleticism enough. He is very athletic but will stand in the pocket too long (similar to Rodgers in this aspect) and cause unnecessary bad plays.

Johnny on the other hand tends to drift too quickly. Its exciting, but exposes him to big hits and limits the down field plays especially in the NFL.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
dsorc wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
buckwild wrote:

There's nothing illogical about the push for Manziel, especially considering he's a better prospect than every QB you just mentioned as a pro prospect.

Under NO circumstances was Manziel ever considered a better pro prospect than RG III. None. There were scouts who felt that RG III could be a better prospect than Andrew Luck, the best QB prospect to come out since 1984:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-24/nfl-draft-2012-robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-baylor

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/11/robert-griffin-iii-a-better-prospect-than-andrew-luck-in-some-eyes/

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
kenney wrote:
dsorc wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
buckwild wrote:

Under NO circumstances was Manziel ever considered a better pro prospect than RG III. None. There were scouts who felt that RG III could be a better prospect than Andrew Luck, the best QB prospect to come out since 1984:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-24/nfl-draft-2012-robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-baylor

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/11/robert-griffin-iii-a-better-prospect-than-andrew-luck-in-some-eyes/

And there are also scouts who think the best QBs in this draft are Bortles and Carr. The hype for Griffin was proven to be abjectly misplaced. He middles against poor Big XII defenses and now can't succeed in the NFL unless he's allowed to run - but when he loses he blames his teammates and coaches!

Manziel played in a near-identical offense with far greater success against far superior defenses. He, too, will have to work on his dropbacks, but his mechanics from the pocket are near-perfect, his instincts are some of the best in any recent pro prospects, and his arm is fully capable of making every NFL throw.

It's time to start dispelling the myths perpetuated by people who simply don't like Manziel as a person or are trying to establish cachet as analysts by inventing problems that don't exist because they're too obtuse and conceited to simply limit their analysis to his real short-comings: he's under-sized and a [inappropriate/removed].

There is a reason Manziel is widely considered easily the 2nd-best and in several cases the best QB in this draft, and it's not scouts and personnel and media guys just messing with your heads. Manziel is a great QB prospect. If you don't want him at the expense of any QB save Bridgewater, you don't know what you're talking about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: